Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Jehde posted:

I almost always use the android app as I listen to music on my phone a lot, the fact I can swipe for the next song makes me unreasonably happy. I still use Spotify mostly, but Spotify doesn't have all the music I have on my server, so I use Subsonic to fill in those gaps.

I definitely prefer Subsonic over Plex right now when it comes to music. What Android App are you using for Subsonic?

I'm moving to a new house this weekend and in the future plan putting a projector in my basement. How well does the RP2 work with PHT? I was thinking about hooking that up to my projector once I get everything setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone running the Plex App on their Samsung TV? I installed it on my new TV and it is constantly buffering. I jump over to my Roku and the same files has no problems. Not sure if it's the app or the way the TV is handling Wifi.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

It really depends on the set and environment.
Last years top end Samsungs have 802.11 ac which is plenty fast for plex. More and more are getting it.

I find not having a quality wireless ap to be a bigger culprit, honestly.

Yes I run this when I visit my family. It uses a remote library. I turned down the bitrate/quality very low, got it stable, then bumped it up until I saw problems.

When I upgraded their wrt54g to a better router I was able to further increase bitrate.

What's really strange it's a freakin' XVID. Shouldn't be that hard to play the drat thing. I had played around with setting, direct stream, bit rates, etc. But no luck.

As for wireless, I'm running an Ubquiti's AP, didn't have really any problems with my desktop on wireless. I recently wired part of the house for ethernet, next step will be getting to that room. It's just a bit harder to get to.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
At my old house I had FiOS and if I remember correctly I used this guide: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SimplifyingYourNetworkWithABridgeMakingAnFIOsActionTecMI424WRANetworkBridge.aspx to set it into a bridge mode. On Demand, menus, etc. still worked and I didn't have to work with their lovely modem/router.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
You could also just set your router to a static IP and then DMZ it. That might help with trying to traverse the Verizon router.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
If I tossed PHT on a Raspberry Pi 2, what would be the best way to control it? I'm trying to decide if I want to get another Roku to put on new home theater. Or if I toss PHT on my Pi if that would be sufficient enough.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been running into a weird problem with the last few releases. If I pause a file in the web client. When I hit start again it either forgets my place or jumps to a new episode. I want to say it's been doing this with the last 2 releases.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been using Plex on Ubuntu for several years now. Works fine, updates with no problems. Only issue I ran into was Plex on my Samsung TV, but figured out it was a terrible coded app on the TV.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm running the most up to date version (0.9.17.something) and I've encountered a weird problem with my PMS. It's not recognizing any new files that added to library directories. I've restarted my server, the PMS itself and updated to the most recent version. It will recognize deletion of files but will not recognize new files. I don't see anything odd in the logs so I'm at a loss right now.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 20, 2016

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah about 5 TB of space free. So plenty if space. Files play fine in other media players. Plex is just not seeing any new files in the last few days.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Turns out it was not Plex. I updated SABnzbd recently and it screwed with permissions. Fixed the permissions and everything appears.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The downside with using ONT is if you use FIOS TV it stops working because it requires their modem. I remember setting up the Verizon modem into some mode, can't remember what exactly I did as this was a few years ago, to get everything working correctly. But I set it up to have my router do everything.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I may have missed this but what is the best way to name a 3D file so plex knows to set it correctly for my projector?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been having the same problem with my Rokus. Everything was working fine but now I get buffering about every 30 minutes into a movie or show. I have about 2 TB free so shouldn't be a space issue.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Stockwell posted:

Plex has just released Plexamp for music which seems pretty decent so far if you just want an unobtrusive standalone desktop player. It's got some improvements over the web player (gapless!) which I hope eventually get backported, this looks good for now though.

Download: https://www.plex.tv/plex-labs/#plexamp

drat and I just renewed my Subsonic license. It looks interesting and it'd be one less program running.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I use Subsonic/Airsonic for my music collection. The only downside of them is the apps tend to be pretty bad in their design. They're layout is folder based so depending on how your folder structure on the hard drive is is how it will be displayed.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Speaking of storage, does anybody have a preferred encrypted backup based in a cloud? I know Backblaze is popular but all my drives are mapped and I don't think they like that. A lot of my blu ray rips are on a USB external and that would sure suck if I lose it. I think overall my collection is around 4TB currently.

What OS are the mapped drives on? I use rclone on my linux server to backup all of our stuff to backblaze. Works well and I just tossed the commands in a script that is run daily by cron.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been running into an odd issue with sound and picture getting out of sync on my TCL Roku TV, it may be others but that is the main place we watch everything. It seems like it's been happening only recently and I had thought only with SD encoded TV shows, like I Love Lucy. However, it was happening during a movie we were watching earlier. Suggestions on where to look at config wise to help track down the issue.

My server is Dell R710 that I use for a few things, 24 cores and 128GB of RAM. So that shouldn't be the problem. TV is on Wifi but I don't have any issues with laptop playing videos.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Huh I wonder if a similar thing happens with the server on Linux. Guess I'll try it out and see what happens.

I sent a friend an invite and they can not see my server. No server changes on my end as others can see it no problem. Well they can see the name but it says not online. Any thoughts on what may be causing the problem?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I have a bunch of Beavis and Butt-head episodes that I'd like to get into Plex. However they are number 1-whatever. No season info or anything like that. Easiest way to do it?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

The Diddler posted:

I opened each file in VLC to check the title, then changed the title on each episode then ran it thru FileBot to get proper season and episode numbers. Maybe not the easiest way to do it, but it's probably as correct as it's gonna get. It only took a few boring hours to get it done.

FileBot worked perfectly for all but 3 episodes. Worth the six bucks for a year. I've certainly spent more money on less useful stuff.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I have a strange issue where I shared my Plex library with a friend and they are having issues connecting to it. I have it shared with a bunch of people but they have no issues accessing it. Any thoughts what to look at as to why they can't connect?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is it behind a VPN? I have a friend who can’t hit my server when he’s on his PS4 even though a couple others can from their phone/iPads.

My stuff is not behind any kind of VPN and according to the settings on my server I'm good to go on outside access. Like I said it's just this person, everyone else is fine for some reason.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I just installed Volumio, has web UI and phone apps, on a spare RPi3 and it detects my Plex server via DLNA. Haven't played with it since I use Airsonic for my music but you could try that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been seeing a weird issue with my Roku TV and Plex. On some recently added movies it will sit at buffering at 33% and not do anything. Other recently added movies work fine. I've turned off hardware transcoding and tried directstream. Just seems completely random, any thoughts on where to look for potential issues? The only thing I can think of is the audio is 7.1 and the others are 5.1.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’m about loving done with plex, literally nothing has changed about my setup and now it just defaults to plex relay on both my PS4 and my Roku despite being on the same network as my server, before this I could stream 4K without issue.

Is there any good alternatives or am I doomed to putting media on a flash drive???

The same thing started happening to me recently. Are you running anything like pi-hole? It looks like something needs to be whitelisted, because if I disable it for a few minutes it's fine. I'll have to dig for what exactly is being blocked for me.

Edit: I'm using unbound for pi-hole. Had to add:
code:
private-domain: plex.direct
To the unbound config.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 14, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Sand Monster posted:

I have the same setup; to confirm, you don't have to change anything in pi-hole config, just add the above to the unbound config?

As far as I am aware that's all is needed. I haven't it have it try to do relay since then.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Sounds like it could be a permissions thing. Take a look at the group owner for the files, at least on linux, plex wants the group as video. I have issues sometimes where things don't show up, if I chgrp the file to video it works fine.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone having issues with new music not being added to their library? Permissions are all the same as the rest of the directories, things like Airsonic recognize it and have added it. So I can't figure out why Plex refuses to add it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Have you tried manually clicking "Scan Library Files"?

Plex hasn't been auto-adding anything for me lately.

Yeah I've done that as well. It added some music I added a few weeks ago but now nothing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been using a R710 for my NAS and other things for my home network. I had originally purchased it to do some bioinformatics work, but I haven't used it for that for several years. Since it's just wasting energy, I figure it's time to retire it and use an older system for basic file serving. I have a i5-4590 with 32 GB of RAM, will host my 'arrs and Plex, as well as general NAS duties. Is the i5-4590 going to struggle with Plex? A friend did give me a P400 that I can toss in there to help with transcoding, etc.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

priznat posted:

Apologies if I missed it, is there a way to get the corner colour triangle back to notify that the item is unwatched? I prefer that to the green check circle for stuff that has been watched.

It's still there on Roku so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they remove because I definitely prefer that over the green check.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

That Works posted:

36tb 14tb used, didn’t expect to be on the decidedly smaller end here lol

That's about where I am, and here I thought I was a digital hoarder but alas. I definitely do not keep a lot of shows that I do not have no interest in revisiting.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I just setup Overseerr and wish I had done that sooner. Much easier than going to the respective *arr.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Recyclarr will also update your *arrs with the Trash guide recommendations. I tried it on a new server build and it worked great.

I've run into a strange issue where cover art does not load on our Roku devices at random times. Not sure if it's the Roku, both TV and stick, or something with my setup. Never had an issue before on my Ubuntu install. The new setup is via Truenas.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Complex home theatre setups are cool because on movie night with your spouse you can start the movie, and then two minutes in you can pause it and turn to them and say "does it sound right to you? are you hearing anything coming out of the rears?" and then they go "it sounds fine to me, i don't know what you're talking about" and then you go "hang on, one sec" and you walk over to the rears and then you start the movie again and you're not hearing anything and then you pause it and you go "gently caress it's not working right hold on" and you start going into the plex settings to see if it's outputting the right signal and then you pull out your phone to look up how to show the diagnostic screen on your AVR settings and your spouse says "it honestly sounds fine to me, let's just watch it" but you spent thousands of dollars on all this stuff and you secretly like loving around with it more than you like watching movies anyways and in the end you say "hang on i need to go see if i can find a different release of this, it should only take about 15 minutes" and your spouse ends up watching Love is Blind on their laptop

Please don't doxx me, but also add in stopping every 5 minutes because of a kid interrupting.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Is the server running on Linux? If so, I'd say it's a permissions issue. I get those once in awhile. I've also moved the directories out, did a manual scan and then back in and scan again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm not sure why it does it sometimes but that always seems to be fix if it isn't permissions.