Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

That Works posted:

Where are people even buying Nvidia Shield Pro's these days, looks OOS everywhere and only used / marked up ones on ebay.

Check eBay. Here’s a new one for $200 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/315039441904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is there an easy way to get the api stuff to pass through with Authelia in front of the arrs? I just followed a YouTube video to set up Authelia with Ngnix proxy manager and it borked all the API calls to Homepage when I set it up, so instead I just have a guest network.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My main beef with ATV and Plex is I notice audio sync issues in the Plex app especially in 4K, but infuse handles it better and also makes it easier to adjust delays. The Shield doesn’t seem to have the same problem so I usually use it for watching Plex and then the ATV for everything else.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

EVIL Gibson posted:

About the sync issues before, is it immediate sync issues or over time it becomes worse?

I've had issues with rips when I used variable bitrate (VBR) where the audio and video slowly become more desynced. I encode every video now with CBR (constant bitrate) even thought I am using different codecs now.

For information I saw this problem with divx+mp3 but now usually do h265/h264 + ac3.

I wanna say where I notice it the most is remux 4K stuff. You know, the poo poo I want to be perfect lol

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

EVIL Gibson posted:

Is it instant desync or over time desync?

I’ll need to double check but the last time I noticed it, it was happening very early on if not instantly. I was watching The Matrix and when Trinity tells herself to get up in the first scene is where I usually notice it.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I just fired up the Jellyfin server flatpak on my desktop and it... looks pretty similar to Plex? I use Tailscale to remote watch anyway, so I'm not really getting much out of the Plex lifetime outside of transcoding. I tried turning on hardware transcoding and tried to get it to use my 3080 to take 4K down to 1080p and it struggled, but that's probably because I don't have jellyfin-ffmpeg and christ only knows what GPU access the flatpak has, even when I set it up for acceleration in Flatseal.

Anyway, just dicking around made me confident that when Plex finishes selling out, it'll take about an hour to move my actual Plex machine over to Jellyfin.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Update: Got it running and using the 1080 to transcode. So yeah an hour.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Plexamp is dope but deemix finally stopped working so I gotta get more familiar with band camp

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Wayne Knight posted:

Mine is household-only. We use Plexamp via CarPlay when we’re out and about but that’s through tailscale.

Same here. I’ve been tempted to offer Tailscale access with just the Plex port available to friends but most of my friends are capable of building their own stacks.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I picked up an ATSC 1.0 capture card on a lark and I’m amazed by how Plex detects and skips commercials.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m now DVRing jeopardy and live sports off the antenna, which is cool. One thing I’ve decided to do is make a special DVR folder to dump those into. It defaults them into just the TV section and I think I’d like to create a section on the interface for stuff I’m going to watch once and delete rather than hang onto.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’ve got both running for now. I need to get my TV tuner set up with Jellyfin to see how it handles that but I’ll definitely miss Plex’s ‘90s basic cable experience that is their streaming TV. A Fukkin Unsolved Mysteries channel?! 24/7 strongman competitions? All it needs is a constant stream of John Hughes movies like TBS had.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Motronic posted:

Freely available IPTV that you put on Plex/Jellyfin is basically this. Along with news/weather feeds from every crappy small market affiliate you've never heard of. https://github.com/iptv-org/iptv

This is cool - will look into this and try it out.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Your user account can see it but the user accountthat plex uses probably can't. If you look to see which group the plex user belongs to it probably isn't in the same group as your user. Your user and group id is usually 1000 and 1000 respectively. You can either create a group that your account and the plex account both belong to (I put them both in a group called plexgroup) and give the group ownership over the directory you use to mount the drive to,or you canv do some nfs shenanigans and create a plex user on the host system but honestly for home use samba/cifs is easier and sufficient.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah distro isn't as important as it used to be since pretty much everything you wanna run has a docker container associated with it. You'll want to get familiar with docker compose (it's just yaml). I'd recommend sticking with something popular so it's easier to google your way out of problems. Ubuntu server and vanilla Debian are both very popular. I have both going on various homelab things.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

That Works posted:

Ive liked running all the *arrs in docker containers but plex was kind of fussy for reasons i cant recall now. It was better on a VM but eventually i just set it up standalone on a small celeron box running ubuntu server and that’s been the least fuss.

Same. Arts in Docker and Plex on bare metal so it canaccess a 1080 without hours of fiddling.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Can someone give me a semi basic overview of the IPTV ecosystem as it pertains to Plex/Emby/etc? I have an antenna and tuner and was able to use Plex’s m3u list to grab a channel lineup and schedule for a bunch of OTA stuff, but I retain the childish dream of being able to watch Jeopardy in any number of languages, or bizarre sports from Finland.

Is there a system to do that legally? Like some federation of OTA channels that are easy to import and somehow stream? Can you use Plex as a DVR for more traditional IPTV like Fubo or whatever? Is that the primary use case?

Not asking :filez: , I’m more just trying to understand the context and culture because everything I’ve read assumes I already know what it is or is a Wikipedia article that assumes I’m an electrical engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Plexamp rules. Easily the best music player on mobile.