Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kri kri posted:

Thanks for this - is there an equivalent Dell hardware I could use? I get a good discount through my work.

The Dell PowerEdge T20 you mentioned I'd say is the equivalent to the TS140. A T20 with a Haswell Pentium that will be serving content from Plex directly (i.e., your clients will Direct Play media) would be perfect.

Since you mentioned transcoding duties though, I'd personally get the T20 that has a Xeon E3 as I wouldn't recommend anything less than a Core-i3 if your Plex server is going to need to transcode content to multiple devices. That said, I have read that the Pentium G3220 is a pretty capable CPU, and could be enough if the server is only transcoding one or two streams maybe. What front end/client devices are your parents using to access the Plex server?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

iPad, Chromecast. Looking into it more I just might build it myself, thanks for looking though.

Sure thing! If anyone else is looking for a new Plex server, Amazon has the TS140 with a Xeon E3-1225 and 4GB of RAM for $380 shipped at the moment. Just need to add hard drives and an OS. http://www.amazon.com/ThinkServer-70A4001LUX-5U-Tower-Server/dp/B00FE29IWK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407279169&sr=8-2&keywords=Lenovo+TS140 - Lowest I've seen this go is $300-$350 though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Colt Cannon posted:

Can the i3 deal with 1080p and all that junk?

Yeah, the Core i3 is very much capable of handling 1080p transcoding. How many front-end devices would the server be transcoding for with your set up?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Colt Cannon posted:

At most I would probably have 3 or so at once.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear :shobon:

That said, a Core i3 should definitely be enough to handle transcoding 3 streams. I'd probably up the RAM to 8GB though, if you're getting the base model with 4GB. What's your current Plex server specs if you don't mind my asking?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Colt Cannon posted:

i5-4570 3.2
8 GB RAM DDR3-1600
GTX 760

Ahh, I'm guessing that's also your main PC? The Lenovo will definitely be a solid dedicated Plex server. Inside your network, the computers should direct play content just fine through Plex Home Theater. Only the Chromecast will require transcoding in-home, though you can edit the XML file to where you don't have to transcode to the Chromecast, but that's only worthwhile if you have decent/strong WiFi. More info on that here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/104606-my-best-video-setting-for-chromecast-and-android/

Outside of your home network, I don't think transcoding multiple streams to phones our tablets remotely should be an issue. Performance would depend more on your internet upload speed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Just a 2 days to go warning... The prices increase on Monday. Purchase PlexPass now to avoid the higher prices.

Bit the bullet and finally jumped on a lifetime pass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The multi-user profile thing is what really made me consider the lifetime pass, funnily enough. I share my server with a lot of friends and family and them having the ability to have their own watch states/resume points was something I'd like for them to have, so thanks for the goon who pointed that out for me. I'm also getting a new tablet so the offline sync feature seems like it'd be nice for when I travel (which is a lot). I'll probably use Cloud Sync too since I have 100GB and a 50GB Box accounts to take advantage of. I also wanted to support a platform that I've been using for almost 2 years that has made managing and viewing my content across multiple devices an awesome experience.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 29, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Wow, Plex coming to both Xbox One and Xbox 360

The UI looks great on the Xbox platform.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/6918079/plex-launches-on-xbox

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So far Plex on Xbone stutters where Chromecast doesn't. Kinda weird since the bone is 5hgz and AC while the Chromecast is only 2.4Ghz N

Disregard the dude's monotone voice, but Plex on the Xbone looks like it runs just fine in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8f8MPciUsw

And man, that UI is slick as hell. I want Plex Home Theater on my HTPC to look like that :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CrispKing posted:

By single pay version do you mean Plex for PlexPass?

No he means the standalone app for non-plex pass users that's listed at $4.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexapp.android&hl=en which should work on the M8 box, based on what I looked up real quick on it. Should have gotten a Fire TV or Roku for around the same price instead imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jonathan posted:

I wanted an open platform to run xbmc on that I know won't try to circumvent side loading apps in the future. Plus it runs xbmc really really well. I have no use for any of the bloat that is on the fire tv. I wanted as close to a raw android experience as possible.

If the M8 box is running plexmbc/xmbc fine and streaming properly from a plex server, why do you need the official plex android app?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

So I have Plex and love it. It's fantastic when paired with my Chromecast for streaming my stuff.

However...I do often watch things on my computer screen while multi-tasking. The Plex standalone client isn't really dual monitor friendly, even when I try to use it in windowed mode. The fact that you have to use a keyboard to move around is nice for a HTPC, but just used as a second monitor it's actually a bit difficult.

Are there any alternatives to actually use Plex to view stuff? As it stands, I can just watch the videos in Windows Media Player or VLC, but that obviously stinks for keeping track of what's "new" on Plex unless I manually mark it watched.

Install the Plex packaged app for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plex/fpniocchabmgenibceglhnfeimmdhdfm?hl=en

It's basically like an HTML 5 video player that runs in its own window. Only disclaimer is the packaged app doesn't support casting to a Chromecast. You can cast to an HTPC running Plex Home Theater though, or any device that is set to display itself as a Plex player.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 16, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

What sort of upload speeds do people have for remote streaming? It chugs on my 1mbit up

I have a 10Mbit upload from Comcast, which is good enough to service simultaneous 4Mbps 720p streams reliably from pretty much anywhere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So looking to get into Plex and getting a NAS. Having never done streaming or have a setup for it. Can NAS's be used to run the server or is it better with a standard computer? Anyone have any recommendations for a NAS? Was looking at the usual suspects of Drobo, Synology, QNAP etc.

My general recommendation for someone seriously looking into putting together a Plex setup from scratch is to grab a relatively cheap file server, like this Lenovo TS140 (either with the Core i3 or Xeon, based on budget allowance), throw a couple hard drives in it, install a Linux distro + Plex Media Server, and call it a day. One of the coolest features of Plex is being able to view your media from anywhere, so having a box that can transcode content reliably is definitely recommended.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

10-8 posted:

I've had two 2 TB greens running flawlessly since 2010. I'm sure they'll die eventually but I haven't had any problems yet.

I had a 2 TB WD Green die on me last year, purchased in 2010 as well I think. Might have been a bad batch or something. I also had a 500GB Samsung F3 crap out on me last month. Replaced it with another 1TB WD Blue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comfortador posted:

I setup my Plex media server a couple weeks ago and things were okay, but all of the sudden when I bring up my Media Server I get an error 400 bad request. I did some googling, deleted my User account cache and everything seemed okay for a few days. Now it's happening again and deleting the cache isn't solving it. :(

I reinstalled just for shits and giggles and nothing changed. Anyone have any experience with this?

Hmm, have you tried accessing the media manager from a different browser?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Yeah when I use Chrome as opposed to IE that only tells me "invalid request" Ugh.

I honestly have no idea what would be causing that issue :(

Have you looked over Troubleshooting Server Connections under support? https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Server-Connections

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm considering getting the in-laws an Amazon Fire TV stick for them to stream remotely from my server. They have a first generation roku now and it just doesn't do remote for more than 10 or 20 seconds at a time after buffering for 2 minutes. Chrome cast is another option, but the Fire TV has such a nice interface, plus a remote for them is a better option.

Anyone try one for this yet? Is it worth doing, or is there a better option?

How certain are you it's the roku causing the buffering? Are they able to watch remotely from their PC or another device (phone, tablet) without issue?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't doubt blaming a roku 1,but I'd also make sure you have enough upload bandwidth as well.

Roku 1 has less horsepower than 2 which is equal with the stick and is less than roku 3, so hardware wise a 1080p stream (if it is) may be hard on a roku 1. Hell, I see significant stuttering on a chromecast with 720p so caveat emptor.

Yeah, upload is significant factor in remote playback of HD content with Plex. I've got a 10Mbps upload connection and my brother is able to stream content on his Chromecast at 720p 4Mbps from my server (located about 30 miles away or so) without issue. He can stream at 1080p 8Mbps if no one else is remotely streaming, but I share my server with 2 other families so the bandwidth needs to be divied up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

Firestick is probably the best thing going right now if you're looking for a quick and easy way to make a TV a Plex client, especially if you got the 19.99 Prime deal or the 25.00 Best Buy black friday deal.

Easy as hell to set up, interface is easy to use.

The Plex app from Amazon's app store has gone free multiple times as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

The ThinkServer TS140 is currently the darling child for Plex/storage servers ots I believe.

Yup. It's been on sale at $199 a few times in the past couple weeks. Currently it's $219.99 shipped on Amazon for the 4GB/no HDD version. $324.99 for the 8GB RAM/1TB HDD one.

[edit] Now with link!
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkS...ds=Lenovo+TS140

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 11, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mike- posted:

How easy it is to set up a server like that? Does it come with some kind of os or would I need to buy something additionally?

Basically, I'm just wondering how feasible it is to set up for someone who has little to no experience with a server.

The TS140 comes with no OS installed, so you'd either need to buy a Windows license or install a supported Linux distro, e.g., Ubuntu, which is free. FreeBSD is also supported but I've never used that. How comfortable are you with upgrading/building PCs? If you get a TS140 with no HDD, you'd have to install that yourself, which isn't hard at all, but I can see that being an issue for someone who's never opened up a computer or built one for themselves.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mike- posted:

I'm comfortable with doing stuff like installing hard drives but I've never used Linux so I don't know if installing something like Ubuntu is going to be difficult for me

If you've ever created/used a bootable DVD/USB drive with an image of Windows you can install Ubuntu. I had never used/installed Linux up until till like 2 years ago, and I did so without a hitch on some second hand laptops and netbooks I received. The Ubuntu site even has a nice 10 step guide for people to follow: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

What does everyone use for that Transcoding setting, Seconds to Buffer before Throttling Transcoder? Can someone explain the benefits of increasing this beyond the default of 60 seconds?

I use the default settings, save for setting the Transcoder Quality to "Make my CPU hurt". Haven't had any issues.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

What kind of CPU are you running?

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I have a desktop PC acting as a media server for Plex, using an apple TV with plexconnect for viewing. Everything works great but when Plex has to transcode the fan on the computer is really loud and annoying. I know Plex doesn't do GPU transcoding but I'm still unsure of which fan it is that I'm hearing, the CPU or GPU. Is transcoding hearing up the case so much the GPU needs to cool off, or is it the CPU fan? Are there any tools I can run to monitor the fans to see which one is making noise so I know which one to replace?

Most likely your CPU fan. You can install HWMonitor to see how hot your CPU is getting during a transcode. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

Yeah, I have a fireTV (formerly an appleTV 2) on my upstairs TV, but I value 24p output because I'll have this box sitting in the basement outputting to my projector and I don't think any streaming-stick type devices can manage that.

Though now that I think of it, maybe I'll leave the ION box where it is (running Plex/XBMC client hooked up to the projector) and just move all the downloading/serving functions that it currently does onto the new ThinkServer.

Yeah, make use of the ION Box by installing Plex Home Theater (bottom right https://plex.tv/downloads), and have it direct play content served from the TS140. When you install Plex HT on the ION box, go into the advanced video settings and make sure to select adjust display refresh rate to match the video and select sync playback to display with the A/V sync set to audio clock. That should give you solid 24p playback.

[edit] I'm assuming the ION box is capable of 1080p HD playback, right? Otherwise you can set it up to have it always receive transcoded content from the TS140 as oppose to direct playing it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 22, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

Yeah, the ION is capable of doing 1080p24 no problem running either XBMC or Plex HT.

I wasn't very impressed by the Plex HT client for Linux the last time I tried it, it's pretty poor compared to the iOS/Android clients and basically just reminded me of using an XBMC version from 3-4 years ago. Should I consider the Windows Plex client for that box instead or is that no better than the Linux version?

Plex HT for Windows is pretty solid. It's what I use currently on my HTPC. Reason the linux one you were using wasn't up to par was probably because HT for that platform is only available in third party builds. Plex HT for both PC and Mac are identical and is a great way to access content from your Plex server. Windows also has a Windows 8 style Plex app that you can buy from the market, but Plex HT is free so that's what I typically recommend to anyone who has a HTPC running windows. From what i understand though, the Windows 8 style app looks/functions similar to the Plex app for Xbox, i.e., it's more sleek and modern looking. That's not to say Plex HT for PC/Mac doesn't look good though, haha. It looks/functions great.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 23, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm just starting to play around with a ThinkServer TS140 (i3-4130 version) for use as a Plex server+client.

Is it normal that transcoding 1080p x264 content for an iOS client uses 95% of the CPU on this box?

I'm probably only ever going to be streaming to one, possibly two devices at once, but I'm worried that I am not giving myself enough headroom for something that I'd like to keep as my HTPC solution for 3-4 years if a single 1080p stream is already basically maxing out the CPU. Should I have gone for something like the quad-core Xeon ThinkServer instead?

Yeah, as stated, a quad-core Xeon would be at the same usage when transcoding a stream. My dedicated Plex server is a repurposed workstation PC that I've had for about 3-4 years that has been running Plex for almost 2 years straight now. I leave it on 24/7. It's powered by a quad core Phenom that pushes 3-4 transcoded streams at any given time, both local streams and remote, and CPU usage fluctuates from like 5 to 100 constantly during a scenario like that. Like, for example, right now my Plex server is being accessed by my brother's Roku 3 (about 30 miles away). Here's a quick sample of my server CPU usage while he's streaming a 1080p x264 MKV file:

Jumps from around 5-8% and hits up to 80-90% for extended periods. The TS140 is way more efficient than my old workstation, so I wouldn't be too worried about any long-term situation :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 26, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

There's no good way to have Plex Media Server stream live TV from a capture card, is there?

Not at the moment. At least not to my knowledge. I have a feeling a feature like that is in its future though, which is part of the reason why I shelled out the $80 for the lifetime pass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MeKeV posted:

When using a chromecast with plex, is the streaming going directly from the router to the CC or is it going via the tablet/phone that you initiate the play media from?

And is that the same for a web streaming channel and for media from the plex server?

From what I understand, once you initiate Plex on your Chromecast via a phone/tablet/web app by clicking the cast icon and selecting your Chromecast, at that point your phone/tablet/PC/Mac/whatever is just a remote to control playback, volume, etc. Streaming goes directly from your PMS to the Chromecast via your home network.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

Even on my Fire Stick I end up using my phone as the remote. The remote is nice, but when I'm searching for something it's easier just to use the phone.

Some people are just slaves to their remotes. I use a tablet to control pretty much everything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hughlander posted:

After using the iOS plex app on my iPhone 5 I went looking for a Device with a remote . It went like this a few times:

Oh I need to pause/rewind
Take phone out of pocket
Hit power button
Enter unlock
Double tap home to get back to plex
Plex crashes on resume
Navigate to plex container
Launch plex
Hit chromecast button
What do you mean you can't find it on the network??!
Wait 20 seconds
Connect
Pause
Why did I need to pause it again?

The iOS app is a piece of poo poo. Particularly with chromecast. So much happier with the Amazon fire stick but I miss the ease of YouTube casting

Oh man, you can't pause Plex from the lock screen in iOS? That sucks :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Have to agree, and I got a Roku TV (the TCL one). Handles maximum quality (20mb/s) 1080p streams via plex which look great, too.

You should be able to direct play content from your Plex server without the need for transcoding on your Roku TV. Is it connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 20, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

Man, the Roku 3 I bought, really can't handle anything over 10mb 1080 streams. Some work fine, but some others will start introducing major artifacts. This is consistent with several 1080p files and among all my roku 3s. Backing down the quality to 8mb in the plex app usually fixes it.

This is a wired connection too.

That's not right at all, something is up either with your server, your Roku, or your network. When I had a Roku 3, I was able to direct play everything at full quality, no transcoding, without issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

I don't really think it's anything wrong with my server, or network. In fact, my server/network setup is probably overkill for plex in general. These same files that choke on the Roku 3 play perfectly via PHT, even on stuff like that Celeron NUC without transcoding. They're fairly high bitrate mkvs (don't know the exact, off the top of my head) though. Perhaps I have the roku 3 misconfigured, that's certainly a possibility, because I don't see that happening on any of the other plex clients I've used.

Backing down the quality so that it forces a transcode isn't really a huge deal for me. I honestly don't notice the difference too much at the 8mb 1080p setting.

But what is vastly more annoying to me, is Plexweb having the audio out of sync. I notice it's really only on video files that don't have a stereo audio stream, so it's transcoding the audio and direct playing the video, and doesn't sync them up properly. If I change it so that it's transcoding the video as well, all is in sync fine. It's annoying because when I'm at my computer, I play the vast majority of my stuff via plex web. Whenever I encounter the oos audio, I either switch the transcoding video on (not ideal) or use the windows 8 store plex app, which works perfectly fine.

I've pretty much tried Plex on everything you can run it on. And no plex client is perfect... each one is annoying in a different way from the last.

:shrug: I've never had any client playback issues with Plex in the ~3 years I've been using it. I've accessed my Plex server through Rokus, Chromecasts, Android/iOS devices, Windows/Ubuntu PCs, Macs, and Chromebooks; all handle playback just fine. I know there's a current bug with the web player in Chrome where if you resume playback, the audio gets out of sync. That's an issue with Chrome though, not Plex.

If you still have your Roku 3, go into the settings and make sure playback is set to "Direct Play" - I've direct played 30-40GB mkv files (roughly 40Mbps bitrate) on a Roku 3 served up from my Plex server without any problems.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

emocrat posted:

edit: as I write this apparently the post above seems to confirm that the Roku just cant handle it. Any thoughts on Fire TV / Nexus?

I don't have my Roku 3 anymore so I can't test, but I do remember it being able to direct play a ~30-40GB/30-40Mbps M2TS files. Maybe your network is choking on the bitrate? No idea. Actually... maybe it was my old WDTV that was able to play M2TS files. I'll grab another Roku 3 and my old WDTV this weekend to do some file testing to be sure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

I've got about 350 movies, and it's a pain to scroll through them. Am I missing something but is there a way to show movies as a list instead of side to side cover flow?

RARflix has a grid mode view that's similar to the default view in PHT from what I remember.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mortanis posted:

I have no idea what's going on with my Plex Media Server. I've switched over to using a TS140 with a WD Red, but I'm getting buffering problems on almost everything I do while watching inside my network. It's a Wireless N Network. I've got Windows 7 on the TS140, and watching Resource Monitor as it's buffering, absolutely nothing is amiss. Total CPU usage is under 40%, Hard Disk use is < 2MB sec (and I think most of that is accessing an external USB drive that doesn't have any of the Plex media on it), Memory is under 28% used (8GB server), and Network utilization is at 22Mbps. The computer also doubles as a download machine, however the downloads are to a completely different drive than the WD Red and the buffering still happens when I turn it off. I've turned off scanning media, figuring that since WD Reds are a bit slower that sort of indexing might be slowing me down, but it's done nothing.

All my stats are nowhere near max, or even 50% utilization, yet Plex buffers. It's not just a single device - both my Roku 3's are affected, and they're in different parts of the house and not at all next to each other.

Edit: I should say these are 720p videos

Hmm, is your Plex Server on WiFi? Or just the client devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

annapacketstormaya posted:

Most of my Plex media is in mkv, but apparently the Firefox native player will only work with mp4s. Transcoding is apparently enabled on my Plex server, but I still get the "this browser can't play this media" message. Is there some extra setting I'm missing?

Are you using the experimental HTML5 player?