Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have been using Plex pass on a monthly basis and waiting for a discount like this.

As a single user of Plex what would I lose by making a new account to take advantage of the discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I tend to watch a lot of stuff on my phone so I always use mobile sync. My home PC is my
Plex server, and it’s only on when I am at home, so when it turns on things I’ve watched sync up and then new episodes transcode and download. I’ve had very few problems with mobile sync. The half episode problems I can think of have only happened once maybe? I do have really fast internet though, so maybe people have problems downloading large files and they get messed up?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does anyone use Sonarr and the whole “use hardlinks instead of copy” feature? My computer is definitely just copying instead of hardlinking, and I have no idea why. I have the setting to yes but it’s not working. Anyone else ever have this problem?Where should I go to try and figure this out? Sonarr is version 2.whatever. Should I go for the v3 beta?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

astral posted:

Make sure you aren't using two different mountpoints for the source/destination folders. Even if they're on the same actual drive, if they're different mountpoints Sonarr will do a copy.

What exactly is a mountpoint? Right now I have downloads going to d:/down/tv and the completed TV folder in d:/tv. Is that the issue?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Windows. I have no idea what it supports to be honest.

If there is no hardlinking then it sounds like I might need to learn how to use Ubuntu or Docker. I was thinking of that anyway recently because my computer is pretty bad. Which one would be better for an older machine? Any recommended resource for learning how to set everything up?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have been running my Plex server on my ancient Windows desktop. I have an 8TB external and that is enough for me for now, but would obviously like to expand later.

The problem is this computer is 10 years old, takes up a ton of space, and is super loud. That means I turn it off when not in use.

I would like to get an always-on NAS or computer that has a small footprint and makes no to little noise. I don’t really need a functional computer any more because my gaming is done on a Switch and I have a new Macbook Air, so this machine’s main purpose would be to support Plex and the surrounding programs.

What are some of the options? I have seen lots of people talking about the Shield but I don’t think that is available here in Korea, and my TV already has an Android box attached with the Plex app. I am not planning on doing much transcoding on the fly as my internet is quite fast and I usually just sync directly to my phone anyway.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

H110Hawk posted:

The most recent "Darknet Diaries" episode about the LinkedIn breach is the perfect example of why I harp in this (and other) threads about never exposing a port to the public internet on your home computer. Spoiler alert. Including Plex. (Cross posted from the nas thread.)

I have been thinking about setting up Plex and Sonarr and the like to be accessible outside my home. What is the best way to do this all safely then? Is there a good guide on where to start anywhere?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is it possible to set Plex up with different languages for different users? On Netflix my wife uses Korean and I use English. When she logs in with her account the menus and everything are in Korean, but when I choose mine everything is English. I would like to do the same in Plex. Is it even possible?

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 10, 2021

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So I decided to move from Windows to Ubuntu for my desktop, and set up Plex and everything a docker container. So far so good. I figured out how to set it up and have added my movies to my library!

The problem is that I can't figure out how to add more directories to the docker container so that Plex can see the rest of my media. I get that I need to add them to the actual docker thing with a command, but I can't figure out what that command is! Can anybody help me out here?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

IOwnCalculus posted:

How did you actually deploy it with Docker - did you use the command line with something like "docker create" or did you write up a docker-compose.yml file and go from there?

It was done command line. Is one method preferred over the other? I am very very new to Linux. I ended up just deleting the install and then just redoing it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Sounds like I definitely need to invest a day or two into learning how to use docker-compose, as it is much more movable. I am planning on eventually buying a NAS so that's why I decided to move to Linux now.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So thanks to your input here I managed to get everything set up with docker-compose, and I must say, everything is MUCH nicer. It is so much easier to just edit the file and then reload it.

Now, however, I think I am running into some problems with my Plex/NZBGet/Transmission/Sonarr setup. One big reason I wanted to set this all up was so I could use hard links. However, I don’t think they are actually working right now. It looks Sonarr just copied the files to my media folder. Right now my NZBs aren’t automatically moving either. Sonarr gets them and they download, but they don’t auto import. I think I have somehow set things up wrong.

Here are the volume settings from my .yml files from each program

Plex
volumes:
- /media/name/External/Media/:/config
- /media/name/External/Media/TV:/tv
- /media/name/External/Media/Movies:/movies
- /media/name/External/Media/Music:/music
- /media/name/External/Media/Audiobooks:/audiobooks

Sonarr
volumes:
- /home/name/dockers/sonarr:/config
- /media/name/External/media/tv:/tv #optional
- /media/name/External/downloads/complete:/downloads #optional

Transmission
volumes:
- /home/name/dockers/transmission:/config
- /media/name/External/Downloads:/downloads
- /home/name/Downloads:/watch

NZBGet
volumes:
- /home/name/dockers/nzbget:/config
- /media/name/Extrrnal/downloads:/downloads

Home is on the computer’s SSS where I have installed Ubuntu, and Media is an external drive where I keep all the media.

So, docker gurus, how can I change these so everything places nicely? Where did I go wrong?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
My Docker odyssey is going well enough, thanks to the advice here and the servarr wiki. I think I have my file structure set up right, and now a Sonarr request moves to NZBGet.

Now, however, I still can’t get hardlinks working. I think I need to mess around with user permissions in my docket-compile files, but maybe I typed things wrong? I put UMASK=002 into all of them but this same problem persists.

code:
2021-06-01 07:54:38.5|Debug|MovieFileMovingService|Hardlinking movie file: /data/torrents/movies/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv to /data/media/movies/Movie (1992)/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv
2021-06-01 07:54:38.5|Debug|DiskTransferService|HardLinkOrCopy [/data/torrents/movies/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv] > [/data/media/movies/Movie (1992)/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv]
2021-06-01 07:54:38.5|Debug|DiskProvider|Hardlink '/data/torrents/movies/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv' to '/data/media/movies/Movie (1992)/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv' failed.

[v3.2.0.5048] System.InvalidOperationException: Operation not permitted
 ---> Mono.Unix.UnixIOException: Operation not permitted [EPERM].
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Mono.Unix.UnixMarshal.ThrowExceptionForLastError()
   at Mono.Unix.UnixMarshal.ThrowExceptionForLastErrorIf(Int32 retval)
   at Mono.Unix.UnixFileSystemInfo.CreateLink(String path)
   at NzbDrone.Mono.Disk.DiskProvider.TryCreateHardLink(String source, String destination) in D:\a\1\s\src\NzbDrone.Mono\Disk\DiskProvider.cs:line 450
Is this a user permissions problem? Sorry for bothering everyone else with this. If it would be better for me to take it to the serverr Discord let me know.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

RichterIX posted:

I think you actually have to change that setting on the server itself but I might be talking out of my rear end completely

I think it is there under library options.

However I don’t know if it works with PlexAmp. I have it enabled for my audiobooks but it doesn’t seem to remember where playback was.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

H110Hawk posted:

/data/torrents and /data/media are on the exact same filesystem right? `mount | grep /data/` shows you exactly one line? Hardlinks cannot cross filesystem boundaries. If you have two -v options in docker this might break it. Caveat: I've never used a hardlink inside a docker container. You might need a capability or a selinux label.

If you jump into your container and hit `ls -la /data/torrent/my.linux.iso` , `ls -lad /data/torrent` and `ls -lad /data/media` what do you get?

Also what's this option you found?

The option I was talking about was related to playback position saving in music libraries.

And I ended up fixing the problem. My external where I keep all my media was in exfat, and apparently you can’t do hardlinks in exfat! I reformatted the drive and now everything seems to be working perfectly. Finally!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Mine is just an 8tb external hooked up to a 10 year old computer.

Want to get a NAS or something but since it hasn’t broken yet I can’t justify the investment.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Warbird posted:

Sigh, downloads has never worked for me. Just sits there forever and never actually does anything.

Same. If I leave my phone open for the duration of the conversion and download it will finish. But then when I try to play the stuff offline it doesn’t work.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
If I leave my phone on with the app open for a few hours it’ll download. Try that! Make sure not to switch to another app or send a message though, as that might restart things. Works perfectly.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Oh I think it’s definitely a big deal. Sync worked fine and downloads is absolute trash.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there any way to have Sonarr and Radarr not open my web browser every time the server boots up? I am obviously glad that they start with my computer (Windows 10 machine) but I simply would prefer they did not open a browser on boot. Is there any way to do this? I didn't see anything in Sonarr or Radarr settings.

Mine used to do this and it was because somewhere along the line I had added them to startup myself, but they also did it automatically, so it was opening twice. The first time was just starting the process and the second triggered opening the window I guess. Try checking your startup processes and see if it’s in there twice?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does the new watchlist feature not actually sync what I have watched and what I haven’t? For example, I have watched 1.5 seasons of For All Mankind in Plex. However, if I go into my watchlist it shows everything as unwatched. Is there a setting I’m missing?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Looking for advice on downloads quality.

I have an international flight next month, and since we can’t fly over Russia that means 15 hours in the air. I want to download as much content from my server as possible. However, on an iPhone 13 mini I feel like I probably don’t need giant 1080p files that are like 4gb/hour.

What download quality settings typically result in no noticeable quality drop, but still reduce size? Right now I have it set for 1080p medium (12mbps) but I’m curious how low I can go. I can’t test it myself because with the downloads feature being messed up it takes me an entire night to download anything.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Did they fix downloads on iOS? The most recent update mentioned something and they seem to be working better now.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
The past two nights around 9pm my Plex starts being unable to play videos. I’m watching on an Apple TV, and the videos are 1080p. I have a Seedbox setup and usually there are no problems, everything works perfectly. The same video will play fine at 3pm but in the evening it doesn’t. At the same time YouTube works with no problems.

Is this a case of my IP throttling Plex at certain times of day, or internet in general? Where would I look to try and figure this out? Router logs? Any tips?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Tea Bone posted:

So your Plex server isn't local? If it was me, I would start with trying to watch it through a VPN. If it works fine with a VPN that's a good indication your ISP are throttling Plex traffic.

I’ll try that tonight. If I can play through a VPN on my phone maybe I can airdrop to the TV.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have a 4tb Seedbox. I used to have a 10tb server locally but this is honestly just so much easier for me to deal with. Nobody else in my family will use Plex so it’s just me watching anyway :cry:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I finally figured out how to downloads to work really well for me. I create optimized versions of the file I want in the desktop app. Then on my phone I download them on Infuse. It even downloads my subtitles!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

EVIL Gibson posted:

I'm confused now. What does infuse actually do now that Plex doesn't do already?

Why optimize your files manually if Infuse should already be doing that for your device?

Unless I missed a setting Infuse doesn’t transcode downloads. If I choose download it just downloads the normal file. I want smaller files on my phone so I optimize in Plex and then download in the Infuse app on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What’s the easiest way to get some YouTube videos for later viewing on my Plex? It doesn’t have to be automated. I tried YT-DL or whatever but I just don’t get command-line stuff. My brain hurts.