Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Im new to linux and am trying to set up a plex server using ubuntu and having it read data off of my synology NAS. i can mount the drive and point the tv or movies folder at the mount but nothing shows up. i can see the files sitting there using the command line but plex doesnt show them there. what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

Your user account can see it but the user accountthat plex uses probably can't. If you look to see which group the plex user belongs to it probably isn't in the same group as your user. Your user and group id is usually 1000 and 1000 respectively. You can either create a group that your account and the plex account both belong to (I put them both in a group called plexgroup) and give the group ownership over the directory you use to mount the drive to,or you canv do some nfs shenanigans and create a plex user on the host system but honestly for home use samba/cifs is easier and sufficient.

Awesome thanks for the insight. I'll see what I can do with regard to the whole permissions aspect. Heres another question that will probably open up a huge can of worms: is there a distro that is better or worse for doing this kind of thing? I'd like to run a few of the .arrs and plex and maybe pihole and tailscale and would want to do it as painlessly as possible.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Deathlove posted:

I used Debian 12 and ran https://yams.media/ to get a framework up and going quickly. Just add the PiHole and stuff down the line.

holy hell cant wait to try this. this looks like its right up my alley

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Does plexamp work offline or do you have to have an internet connection for it to work?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

sick thanks