Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks for the thread, it finally motivated me to try Plex with my Chromecast and so far it's played everything I've thrown at it flawlessly. The discovery bit took a bit of tweaking to get all my media to show up correctly but the Plex interface is simple enough to use that it wasn't a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001

Colt Cannon posted:

Well, I figured out part of my problem with Chromecast. I had my server setup via WIFI, because I wanted to have it in a room that no one really used, so that it wouldn't randomly spin up when I wanted to watch/download/whatever something. Turns out the card I was using would randomly drop down to 5 Mbits speed, and that is right when whatever I was playing would start skipping.

Ran some wire to it, and now have it hardwired into my router, and it works like a charm.

If your server is connecting to Chromecast via WIFI, you may want to check it out, and try to hard wire that poo poo in. I never realized just how lovely my cheapo depo wifi card was till now.

Same situation, I have my file server in a spare bedroom so I don't have to see or hear it. I'm using an ethernet over power solution from WD and I haven't had any buffering issues with Chromecast and Plex.