Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'd recommend any distro that you are in any way comfortable with.

I roll with Debian 11 and docker myself on a small SSD for OS and ZFS for media storage. Plenty of guides around. There's small netinstall images that will just put down a base system from internet sources and start openssh.

Everything starts up automatically if the power goes out but you will certainly need to enable power on loss in your BIOS to get the PC to boot automatically when power returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I 100% second unraid if you want something a lot easier than rolling your own. I used it up until last year and it's great for this.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Plex is now the only app we use on two Android TVs and a couple of GTVcc dongles. All runs fine here. The slowest of the lot is a low end TCL bedroom TV but it's not buggy, just slow. The GTV dongles are on par with the X90H all being very responsive. Have only had a few things refuse to play natively codec wise, not enough to notice.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I just keep the very small amount of content I like in 4k in a seperate library that I don't share with remote users. Having an extra 6gb 1080p version for remote users doesn't bother me much.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I don't even notice the ads to be honest nor have I tried to turn it off, I just go straight to the app shortcuts bar.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It treats any client that is in the subnet the server is in as local, which is a safe assumption mostly, your VPN may appear to have a different IP to your home network but if it's using NAT to get back into the home network then to plex it's coming from a local subnet. No advice on fixing this since we'd need to know much more about your VPN solution.

You can specify what subnets it treats as local, so you could reduce the scope to exclude your VPN address or the routers NAT address but make sure it covers your dhcp range at least.

Aware fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 21, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Do you have NAT enabled for traffic between the VLANs? That would make the client appear to be coming from the local subnet.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Well I'm out of ideas sorry!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think I got mine at 20% off many years ago so from a sample size of 1 I say yes.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
If you hit the little details icon on the stream under Activity it will tell you if it's being hardware accelerated or not to confirm.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I find audio transcodes way more often than video for my set up devices and it's such a small hit that I've never bothered looking into it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I have a user still playing via a PS3 apparently. He hasn't complained. Always transcodes to 720p.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Overseerr is excellent and has cut down my time spent tracking down stuff for friends a lot. The views it has for networks is especially nice if you're looking to keep up with what's on Netflix currently etc.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Same. It's handy when I'm out and someone mentions a movie or show and I can have it down by the time I get home. It's mobile interface is 100x better than sonarr etc.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't give a poo poo about 4k content so I just limit everything to 1080p and avoid bluray remuxes and other such trash with filters where needed. I'm not a videophile at home and my users are mostly sitting on 720p transcodes or the occasional 1080p direct play.

Edit: once you get comfortable with containers it's a better way to set things up anyway.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My opinion is it's far better to simply have a seperate 4k library especially if you're looking at the low end spec wise, with a HD library for your remote users. Most of them will be able to directplay x264 content anyway assuming bandwidth isn't an issue.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You can definitely just run unraid like that, the free tier would do. It is a nice interface for docker with it's community apps service for sure. You can just run a single ssd disk in your array, or two if you want parity. Nothing else is mandatory, it's just a regular filesystem that goes on the disks. You can just turn the VM manager off in settings if you don't want to see it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've had reasonable success just using plexs subtitle finder for a lot of stuff. I think there's also some rr type software for managing subs that will probably find or convert subs to a better format for you.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think you're on the right track. The A2000 is unlocked as opposed to gaming cards which are limited to 3 encodes at a time, though this limit is easily removed. Definitely use Linux.

Not sure about using tmpfs but I'm sure it won't hurt if you have the ram to do ao.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Tempting to go up to pro at that price but I can't see myself ever needing more than 12 storage devices.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I find volume dips significantly for transcodes.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I put on my robe and wizard hat...

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

other people posted:

I bought a computer and connected it to my TV and put Plex HTPC on it. I noticed when watching video the colours looked all weird but in the plex menus everything was fine. I finally figured out that when I watch something the TV changes its 'picture' setting. To explain, the TV is a 4k Samsung (from like 2019?) and it has four colour modes like Vivid, Natural, Dynamic, and Film (or something like that). We leave it on Natural all the time but when playing video in Plex HTPC it was changing to Dynamic. And worse, the option to change it to Natural or Film disappears on the TV when watching something in Plex.

So for some reason whatever plex does when watching a video, it puts the TV in some mode where there are limited colour choices and I don`t like them. Huh.

I figured out if I change the refresh rate on the computer to 25 or 50 instead of 30 or 60 and turn off refresh rate switching in plex, then when we watch videos the colours stay the same and the TV provides all four colour settings. BUT then the videos often look a bit.. stuttery. Like every second there is a tiny stutter.

Can someone calmly explain what is going on here? What refresh rate do I want to set the computer display to that would be best for watching content in Plex?

My first thought is it's not handling HDR content?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My first was my ISP back in the dialup days then they dropped binaries so my first commercial one was easynews and I still use them and a couple of block ones today.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think it's both. I'm mid 30s and I fully recognise my ability to make out a conversation with background noise IRL has declined significantly the last few years. Tenet was absolutely unwatchable for me combined with the mixing.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Whatever you do it be wifi that fucks you over.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Without getting too deep into the weeds, I'll say that I got the Celeron replacement machine, and it works ok but I think I want to return it in favor of a more powerful machine. These two machines look pretty similar to me - is there any reason to choose one over the other for a Plex server?:

https://www.amazon.com/UM250-Window...08QZC6H8Q&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SGCQRYX?tag=driveceladon-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

I'm leaning towards the Minisforum box - it looks like it has a (marginally) better CPU and 16GB of RAM vs the 8GB in the Beelink machine. But I remember hearing somewhere that Intel CPUs are better for Plex than AMD CPUs. Any truth to that? Or at least, is there anything to it that would make the Beelink with the Intel a better choice than the Minisforum machine with the AMD CPU?

The Intel one supports QuickSync if transcoding to remote users is at all important to you.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

cruft posted:

In case anybody ever cares, the best option is looking like an old Android phone with an app called "BubbleUPNP", which provides a DNLA/UPNP server. The Chromecasts/Fire Sticks/Mobile Phones will running something like Nova Video Player or Kodi. The Android phone can be an access point and bridge to the hotel network if needed.

Another advantage here is that a replacement Android phone is cheaper than a replacement Raspberry Pi. What a weird time to be alive.

Sounds like a great way to spend your holiday computer touching rather than relaxing

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Maybe you could sideload it onto something like a Lenovo Smart Clock or Amazon Echo Show? Not sure if either have 3.5mm out but likely have Bluetooth

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I believe you can set the quality for Downloads on your client device under settings. Not sure what it defaults to. Presumably this will force Plex to transcode it down when you request something.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've messed with some of the free alternatives to do the same, with the ultimate goal of being able to add them to the same IPTV playlist my Android TV uses for Australian FTA channels (rather than playing them via Plex which also works). In the end it was a bit of a mess of 2 apps, one that generated the channels and used ffmpeg to re-encode the content into a linear stream and another to merge the FTA playlist and the custom playlists into a single thing for the TV. At this point it 'worked' but then I found we rarely ended up watching the pretend linear channels with self hosted content and I eventually just scrapped it.

So my takeaway is if getchannels makes it simple and you really like it then go nuts, DIY is a bit of a pain but possible.

E. I was using DizqueTV and xTeVe in docker containers if I remember right.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
What it's doing is basically generating an internal playlist of your content, usually combining a bunch of content to play sequentially but mix (eg show 1 s01e02, show 2 s01e02,show 1 s01e02 etc)… presenting this as a continuous (in time) streaming endpoint and then generating a m3u8 playlist and an EPG XML that can then be used by the IPTV function of Plex, your TV, other things etc. So it looks and feels like pretty much a regular TV channel with EPG info and all. Repeat for as many channels as you like. Eg I made one that had a bunch of Fox cartoons, another that played HBO shows and another that played the last 10 movies I'd gotten based on release date.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That's basically what xTeVe works around - merging and managing multiple playlists into that single one (which my TV only supports one loaded at a time as well for example). xTeVe is actually really useful and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you had that kind of issue again.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw the xTeVe Devs are really really helpful to even dumbasses like me via their discord too.

For actually making channels and playlists I remember DizqueTV being ok and there was at least one other I tried but can't remember. Both were aimed at Plex IPTV integration and if that's all you want then you don't need xTeVe with them, just load the playlist and EPG XML into Plex IPTV by pointing it at DizqueTV you're running.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
There will always be quality loss, you're rencoding one lossy format into another lossy format. It will hopefully not too noticeable but that's what lossy compression does. Do you give a poo poo about minor quality loss for a long running TV show? Probably not. You may want to tell it to avoid Movies though.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Kind of related but occasionally I install Kodi because someone talks it up as great at x or y and usually uninstall it within 10 minutes of trying to navigate an interface seemingly stuck in 2006. Am I crazy?

Aware fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 3, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ah that makes sense, I never had an OG Xbox so skipped that era of media playback entirely.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
No Japanese cartoon poo poo? C'mon!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Now that's more like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Oh man I totally forgot about the WDTV. I had one and it was great with a USB HDD.

I remember fitting out a live aboard dive boat in Bali with about 10 of them in the cabins and a QNAP and set them up to rip dodgy DVDs to it for the poor man's onboard entertainment system haha.