Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Is the plex pass worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

kri kri posted:

It depends on if you want the features it provides. Overall I would say yes but not knowing anything you are trying to do is pretty impossible to make a recommendation. Plex has a weird thing where paid Plexpass memebers get access to early things to beta-test, and then things get released to the unpaid masses.

Generally I'd be streaming to my own house and no internet steaming, mainly to a few handheld devices, google chromecast, and WDTV/Patriot Box Office/PS3. No interest in the picture sharing app.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I tried the plex app on my android phone plus Chromecast and it kept freezing up. Should it keep playing even if my phone goes to sleep?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
What are the odds that they'll release a free plexpass version for IOS?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
PS3 too? That is cool.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I wonder if Plex will ever support audio books. I'd love a centralized repository of audio books where it remembers every user and where they stopped last.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
The XBone client is pretty bad. Anyone know if improvements are planned?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Plex isn't picking up some meta data for some of my music. I thought the new music update was supposed to fix that, but it's only partially working. For example with Alice Cooper :rock: it filled in the bio but not the tags/poster/background. Forcing an analyze does not fill in the missing info and I don't know if there's debug info to see what's failing.

Any ideas?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've tried Chromecast, Roku 3, PS3, and XBone. For functionality I'd rank it Chromecast > Roku 3 > PS3 > XBone. For non techies ease of use (think trying to teach your grandma how to use it) I'd rank it Roku 3 > PS3 > XBone > Chromecast.

That said, I have a Chomecast sitting unused and prefer watching it on my XBone, just because the built in remote and on-screen display makes it easier for me to scroll through the shows and my wife and I can make suggestions on what to watch. This was a painful process when my phone was the only way to talk to the CC.

tl;dr - Roku 3 is a great Plex viewer. Go nuts.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Any way to force a library filter to everyone? I'd like to break out my movies library into two: movies and kids movies. If I do a filter based on genre it only applies that filter to the client on my host PC and no one else.

Other than that I guess I have to manually move the media around into different folders, which screws with my acquisition process.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
EVERYONE

like both my account on multiple devices and remote accounts.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Here's hoping. I wouldn't mind moving my server over to a rPi.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
whoops. wrong thread

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
My Plex server oddly deleted my library database files and all my backups. I ran a file recover app and recovered my database.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
No problems on my Roku.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I see that they've added Google Assistant support. I hope Google Home support is added soon.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

I’m just about ready to give up on plex on my Xbox one. Ever since the big update it did a while ago it’s a struggle to get anything to play? Is there a way to go back to the previous version or a good plex alternative?

Huh. Mine works perfect. :shrug:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I had a random library invite the other day. No idea who it was but I accepted it and it's full of anime. So, um, thanks for the anime random dude?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Atomizer posted:

What'd they do, send you an e-mail invite or a PM here on SA?

A friend request in Plex itself.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Nope. Never posted anywhere looking to trade access. My guess is that it was a typo when someone did a friend invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Synology DS918+ or DS418 PLay? I need a new NAS for household backup purposes, but I may as well move my Plex server to the NAS if it can support it. I use Usenet and Sonarr to grab my content. it would be ideal to move all Plex and content collection processes to the NAS so I can turn off my gaming PC when not in use. I do have 4K capable devices but I'm not using any 4K content yet.