Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

OK so I finally got around today to adding a new Plex user for our living room TV. This way the kids don't see violent movies and certain folders.

However when logging in now it tries to sell me on Plex Pass which we already have. Is there any way to add a user that has Plex Pass access, but also has limits to folder access?

Sounds like you made an actual new “email account” and sent an email invite. You should’ve just added a “managed user” to your account.

When you open any Plex client after adding managed users, it prompts you to pick one. Still under the same PlexPass account, but different libraries available, different watched/unwatched status, and you can set an access pin if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Thanks. So I would create a new managed user for the living room TV, but what if my kids want to watch Plex outside our home wifi?

They still login with your main PlexPass account, and the user selection/pin-entry screen still appears on every device.

Same way Netflix works with sub-accounts.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a multi user setup like Netflix has? Pick a different user when first starting it up on my Shield? I'm sure I can logout of my account and into another, but just checking on anything easier.

Add managed users. It acts exactly like Netflix sub users, and has pin support.

There was a big discussion a page or two back.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bonzo posted:

Yes I know there's a home networking/storage thread but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

To those running synology at home. What is the max I can do? if I use 4 8TB drive then that means I would have 32TB of storage but no backup, right? But if one drive fails, I just need to replace and let it rebuild?

I would, at minimum use SHR so you get 24tb of storage, and 1 drive of redundancy, meaning you can lose one drive at a time and still be able to rebuild. Though be aware, the rebuild process is LONG as your data is at more risk until it’s finished. I think my last rebuild took a week of constant read/write and I only use 4tb drives.

RAID isn’t a backup, so I pay for an offsite service for family photos and such. I’m ok with the rebuild risk for movies and such.

SHR is nice because if you start getting larger drives later on, you can integrate them into the pool.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

H110Hawk posted:

That is a really long time. Linux and Synology do some (in my opinion) boneheaded defaults for mdraid resync of throttling it. Go in to the Synology screen and add a 0 to every number, and turn off plex (torrents, etc) while waiting on the resync and it will go much faster because it won't spend time being interrupted by other I/O. If you want to use plex in the interim turn it on / off as needed. I think it took <24hrs for my 3TB disk to rebuild and it is more or less linear time for things like this. Which CPU is yours? Mine is a Intel Atom CPU C2538 @ 2.40GHz.

You are correct though that large raid pools and large disks have made things take a lot longer to get back to full resiliency, but not much more than linearly for a low utilization array. (Parity requires a block from every disk to calculate the data, so it takes longer if your array is even lightly used as you spend a lot of time waiting on data and performing the calculation.)

*shrugs* My “Synology” is an HP N54L. Maybe it wasn’t a full week, but I definitely remember it taking a number of days. That was back on DSM 4 or 5. I think I saw there are some disk speed options available now on DSM6.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This kid is kind of different, but I sure like his laserdisc videos.

https://youtu.be/Eg8tK1LpLS8

RCA’s CED format was even weirder.

https://youtu.be/PnpX8d8zRIA

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is New Downloads functional for anyone? I’ve been trying for a couple of months. Server on Synology, iOS clients.

I see progress bars moving, but I’ve never successfully completed a download. Current versions of everything.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got Downloads to work. All it took was sshing into my router, learning how to use Vi, editing /etc/hosts, and reinstalling every plex client. wtf.

I'm no superhacker, but this post sent me in the right direction: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/t9lbvv/plex_wont_download_to_my_phone_on_the_same/hzw86h1/

It still fails like half the time.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s cool that I got downloads working, but it would be better if I could limit it to “on same network as server” or something.

I’d like to leave the airplane wifi turned on to get messages, but I really don’t need to be hammering the $8 internet and my phone battery trying to download several gigs of video every time I finish an episode.