Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Never would have thought of that. Thank you!

Not sure if it's a Plex Pass feature, but the web admin dashboard should tell you when it's creating thumbnails or generally doing anything that requires a lot of processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

brains posted:

if it still works and performance is adequate, i'd just try to fix the specific hardware issue. the whirring is probably a fan bearing going out, and fans are dirt cheap and easy to replace. hard drives are also very easy to replace, if that is the actual issue. make sure you have backups, regardless.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah it's most likely a fan and at absolute WORST a hard drive, a $120 computer part (I actually doubt it's a hard drive; any hard drive not from the 1990s will not make noise loud enough to hear unless your ear is resting on it and even then it's only if it had been dropped). Do not buy a new computer because of a noise (if you wanna buy one for other reasons that's cool).

Cosign, if you're generally happy with your setup then it's probably cheaper in time and money to figure out what's making the noise and replace it. And chances are good that it's just a fan.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

forest spirit posted:

But it's a family member who is just uncomfortable being "monitored" and I am empathetic to that a little.

If I really liked them I'd make a one time offer to copy some files to a USB drive they provide. Otherwise I'd tell them to gently caress off and buy some discs or sign up for a streaming service that is 100% guaranteed to be analyzing their viewing habits. If they're simply concerned about making actions that produce evidence of those actions as a byproduct, e.g. server logs, they're a paranoiac who shouldn't be using the internet, or the library for that matter. If they would take your word that their activity isn't being recorded, taking Plex's word for it by proxy, then they're a dim paranoiac to boot.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Make sure to confirm that there probably isn't a rootkit among the files as you hand the drive back, they'll appreciate it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cosign, my server is a 7th-gen i5 with 8 GB RAM and I'm watching it do two simultaneous 4K HDR -> 1080p SDR transcodes at about 40% util. It really punches above its weight. The quality starts to look noticeably worse than software transcoding at 480p, but who cares.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've been hitting that too, using the Plex app on a Shield TV. Server is running elsewhere on an Ubuntu machine. Closing the app (not just backing out of it) then reopening has always resolved it so far.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I try to make sure the clients I control are always direct playing content, but having a server that can handle a few transcodes is great for friends/family or when I'm on crappy wifi somewhere.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Laserface posted:

I want one of them USFF machines, like this

If you want a capable CPU and you're open to managing the OS, I'd consider something larger than USFF that you access over your home network. Put it somewhere out of the way and then buy a normal streaming device to plug into your TV. This does require your network to be up to snuff. But a little extra case room makes it easier to include the CPU you want plus the cooling it needs, and allows for storage expansion, and maybe a TV tuner card.

My setup is probably a bit overwrought, but I have a headless Ubuntu server about the size of a PS4 sitting next to my router, running Plex/*arr/torrents/nzbget. I also have it running nginx and my home network's DNS server, so I can reach all its hosted applications via their web UIs in a browser at memorable hostnames. And last I have everything installed via the package manager with unattended upgrades enabled. (Except radarr, but that has its own auto-upgrade feature.) It's pretty much been maintaining itself since 2017, my goal was to get it running and then forget it exists. The only work I've had to do has been voluntarily adding storage, replacing a stock case fan that got buzzy, and smoothly upgrading to a new Ubuntu LTS release every couple years.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I did a quick google and found this, sounds like what you're looking for: https://github.com/pabloromeo/clusterplex

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Blooster posted:

Why does the Plex app suck so much on the Shield? Is there a way to install a less lovely version on the Shield? Like the one meant for Fire sticks or something? They're both Android

Kodi with its Plex plugin works ok for me, if you can tolerate the uglier UI.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Every streaming service keeps their viewership metrics secret except for the tidbits they use in press releases, so yeah there's probably a market for that data.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah that's catching my interest too. I tried pitching trakt lists to my Plex sharees and their eyes glazed right over. I might have a better chance with something that's in the app they already use.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I tried out the new Discover and watchlist thing and it seems pretty cool? I would get a lot of use out of this if all my media didn't already fall off the back of a truck. An overview of what's available and what's new across all my streaming subscriptions that isn't littered with ads is really nice to have. Good feature and it's a perfect fit for Plex.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

At this point I’m almost too embarrassed to admit I don’t know or understand how sonarr/radarr/trakt work with Plex and what they do. I read the docs and I think they’re designed to be read by computer touchers and I still do things the old fashioned way. Is there an idiot’s guide anywhere?

I like to think of Sonarr and Radarr as elaborate RSS feed readers: they essentially watch for new content that you're interested in and download it for you. Sonarr is for TV and Radarr for movies, there are equivalents for music and books. They don't integrate with Plex directly, they just manage the media directory that your Plex server is pointed at. So like you can configure Sonarr with a file source to watch, such as a site's RSS feed, integrate it with a download client that it can hand off to, and then tell it which shows you're interested in, and it'll download new episodes as they appear. Or upgrade episodes to better quality when it becomes available. If Plex is watching the directory then it'll pick up the new files.

Trakt is a totally separate thing, like a social media site where you can review media and see what people are watching. But it has an API that can be used to find out what movies/shows are new or trending, or what movies a specific user is interested in, and you can filter by genre and other useful things. So Radarr and Sonarr have an integration that lets you pull from that API to automatically add media to your watch list. I have a family member that loves horror movies, so I use the Trakt integration to download the top 10 trending horror movies over the last month.

I'm not aware of a simple guide for any of this, I think you have to dive in. To keep it simple I'd pick one of Sonarr or Radarr, depending on whether you download more movies or TV shows, and start there. Block off a few hours to install it and configure it, enjoy the fruits of your labor for a while, get comfortable with running it, then decide whether it's worth the effort to continue along.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

^^^ efb :argh:

Laserface posted:

Yeah how the gently caress do i stop it upgrading? its annoying when ive watched the film and then months later all of a sudden its grabbed an 80GB rip for seemingly no other reason than it felt like it.

Settings -> Profiles -> Quality Profiles to configure the logic that tells Sonarr/Radarr what quality to download and whether to upgrade files. You can tweak the default quality profiles or add your own.

Settings -> Quality -> Quality Definitions to configure the cutoffs for min/max size (total and per-minute) for a given file type. You can tweak these so you aren't downloading absurdly huge bluray rips or something.

I forget what the defaults look like, but if you're getting surprised by big downloads maybe check quality profiles to make sure you aren't downloading remuxes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Laserface posted:

the issue i have is that i will usually get a sub 10GB file in the quality i want and it just randomly decides one day to upgrade it. why there isnt just a 'stop searching for files once downloaded successfully' i cannot understand.

sonarr does not do this at all.

I'll try what you suggested though.

That's a quality profile setting. Each quality profile has a check box for whether to allow upgrades at all, and then a dropdown for the quality to stop upgrading past.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

this might be too broad for this thread and I might need to ask elsewhere, but is there like an ideal Linux server (?) distro for a Plex server, something super rock stable that ideally can reboot itself and run Plex in case of a power outage without needing to log back in (or have a monitor connected at all). being able to upload files and manipulate it remotely would be ideal which is why I'm guessing server distro (???).

I use Ubuntu server for my headless Plex server and it's been good, it works like you describe. Plex maintains a repo you can add to the package manager, *arr apps either have compatible packages or their manual install instructions just work, and you can easily set up an SSH server for remote management. You can set up unattended upgrades so everything stays up to date automatically. It's a popular OS so it's easy to find guides for this stuff, either in their docs or random blog posts.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Looking to buy a dedicated NAS server. Would a Dual-core C3338 Intel CPU with 8 GB ram be enough to handle PLEX for my home family usage? Or should I spend the extra money and upgrade to Quad-core C3558 Intel CPU with 16 GB?

At most will be streaming to two devices on our LAN.

e: looks like dual with 8gb is good enough.

My Plex server has 8 GB of RAM and I've never seen total system usage exceed 2.5 GB. +1 on getting an Intel CPU with quicksync, the transcoding performance is stupid good.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would need a PC with a graphics card for this, right?

Not a requirement at all. You'd only want a decent GPU for hardware accelerated transcoding, but you'd be better off with an Intel CPU with quicksync instead, it'll save you space and energy and money. My Plex server has an i5 from 2017 and it transcodes 4K video like you wouldn't believe, while running a torrent client and related stuff. I used a HTPC case with space for 4 SATA drives and a low-profile TV tuner card.

edit: for your reference, here's my build minus the SATA drives. Idles at 30W, maxes out at 75ish W when all cores are pegged (rare).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600T 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Case: Silverstone ML06B-E HTPC Case ($127.16 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 300 W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($150.29 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $334.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-20 15:27 EDT-0400

acksplode fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Taima posted:

If anyone knows a good way to get a computer to actually transcode a 4K remux on the fly I'm all ears because it's a giant pain in my rear end.

Intel Quicksync? I'm watching my old i5 transcode a 70 GB Dune remux to 1080p for my phone, CPU util hanging out around 50%.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Taima posted:

Interesting so it doesn't stutter either? What do you need to get this going?
An Intel CPU made in the last like 6 years and a plex pass so you can enable hardware transcoding in plex. https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

quote:

The problem for me isn't just the stuttering though; this is my main gaming machine that just happens to also host a 60TB server off the top.

Just a couple of people transcoding a 4K remux would, I think, destroy my machine in terms of simultaneously using it for, say, playing God of War at 4K/120 fps.

Direct Play is so low key, that even if I'm, say, utilizing half of my gigabit upstream for users playing (100% legal linux ISOs), it really doesn't affect anything for my other uses.
Yeah tbf my machine could handle maaaaybe two such transcodes at once. But it's also an old i5, I'm sure newer i7s have way better performance. GoW isn't heavy on the CPU, that might actually run fine when there are active transcodes, but there are definitely more CPU intensive games that could get starved. My advice from the GPU megathread:

acksplode posted:

Low-power big-storage always-on media server paired with high-performance cooling-optimized usually-off gaming rig IMO. Like peanut butter and jelly. Like the katana and wakizashi

acksplode fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 16, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

With Plex you could create a separate library for a directory with 4K content and then not share it out. Not sure if you can set up the arrs to handle that though. Guess you could hack your way to victory by running a separate instance of each for 4K, that would suck to manage.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

cruft posted:

Currently it's running Ubuntu, and while stable, the apt-get upgrades take waaaaaay longer than flatcar's A/B OS partition. And require manual oversight.
Why's that? I'm running Ubuntu and have unattended upgrades set up to run daily. The only time I need to manually intervene is when upgrading to the next LTS release.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stripping DRM from files you paid for is perfectly legal, so is selling software that automates it. It's distributing those files for reasons beyond personal use that's illegal

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There's a bunch of built-in fair use exemptions outlined in the PDF linked from here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/victory-users-librarian-congress-renews-and-expands-protections-fair-uses. There's a blanket exception for DVD and Blu-Ray, and then broader exemptions for students or educators, and other situations. I oversold it by saying "perfectly legal", but there are absolutely scenarios where Red and Black is in the clear. Let's just assume they're a student and be helpful rather than lecture them about rent vs own.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Enderzero posted:

In Radar, is there a way to have multiples of the same quality? For most movies I want to grab the best version up to about 30ish gb at 4K via my preferred profile. But for really good looking movies I’d like to have a separate profile to switch to that gets files up to 60ish gb. How can I pull this off?

You might want to try custom formats: https://trash-guides.info/Radarr/Radarr-setup-custom-formats/

It sounds like you want to create custom copies of the various 4K formats (bluray, webdl, remux), give them larger size cutoffs, and then create a custom profile using those formats that you can assign to movies where you want a higher size cutoff. Creating custom formats looks a little tedious but I think it should work.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

I am ride or die on plex at this point, I'm not teaching multiple elderly family members new software and interfaces.

Yep. I'm considering looking at alternatives like Jellyfin but it'll have to be something I run in parallel off the same media library. If I get rid of Plex it'll break some hearts

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There's a support article on the topic that should help https://support.plex.tv/articles/206225077-how-to-use-secure-server-connections/

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'd caution against docker specifically because it's another layer of stuff to learn, and it's just unnecessary. Containers are for running processes on clusters of many computers if you ask me, that's why google invented em in the first place. If you aren't cursed with the problem of more than one computer, take advantage and keep things simple. Install the latest Ubuntu LTS release, add Plex's package repository so you can use the OS package manager to install Plex, set up unattended package upgrades so everything including Plex stays up to date automatically, then forget your server exists. My Plex server is a little over 6 years old, everything is managed via apt (except one of the *arrs that I had to install to /opt and create a systemd service for, nbd). I can't remember the last time I had to SSH in for janitorial tasks. Probably a couple years ago when I upgraded to a new LTS release.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

As someone that works in IT, there's a lot of appeal to a deployment solution that essentially boils down to "Well it works on my machine so lets just ship my machine".

It's all fun and games until you want to get hardware transcoding or your TV tuner card working, and have to pierce the container abstraction to make it happen. Plex support guides won't help you there, suddenly you're offroading on Google and reddit and random forums learning about privileged mode and figuring out how to mount a device into a container. You now need to have a mental model of how docker works, which means having a mental model of how the kernel works, just to use your application. So much easier when Plex is a regular degular process.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

madsushi posted:

Just posting that I have really enjoyed using Tailscale as a technology to get remote access to my stuff. Install it on my phone / laptop that I take places, and then onto a container on my server. Now I can get to everything, completely securely, including stuff like the IPMI for the server, etc. I found it to be a lot easier than reverse proxy for everything.

Cosign, tailscale owns. Not having to deal with my router's kinda crappy builtin openvpn and dynamic DNS is nice.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

I don't really understand what HDMI pass-through is doing, or why it's working if my speakers aren't connected via HDMI.

I'm having trouble visualizing your setup -- you say your Shield is connected with HDMI but your surround is connected with optical. Are they both plugged into a TV or AVR? It sounds like your Shield is passing-through audio over HDMI, and then a TV or AVR or something is transcoding the audio so it can be sent over the optical cable to your surround.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was gonna say, this sounds like an increment of a larger feature that you'd ship just to call part of it done. Wouldn't surprise me if they plan to stage something more complete on beta before releasing it officially.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah they'll organize stuff into directories by default, and there are some related config options like whether sonarr will create season directories.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thirding that LG sets are good, my C9's smart TV stuff isn't intrusive at all. I rarely connect it to the internet to pull down firmware updates with display features that I want and then disconnect it, it's been fine.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I use 1Password 7 because that's the last supported version that allows you to buy a license rather than a subscription. Dropbox for syncing vaults.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lol if your copy of Dune isn't at least 50 GB

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Posting isn't gatekeeping lol. Criticism can't stop you from doing whatever you want. Maybe it's worth declaring when you're doing something for fun or as a learning exercise rather than practicality. I totally get the joy of squeezing more value than you'd expect out of a constrained setup. Granted I'm running on a PC rather than RPi, but I derive satisfaction from its relatively low power draw that's separate from the practical benefits. But also I wouldn't be surprised if I boasted ITT about it without stating my intentions and someone offered critique from a practical perspective.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

To be fair to you, that got the message across to me, but then again I'm already sympathetic to your cause. Those statements aren't actually very clear about your goals, and they're part of larger posts that are mostly technical detail. I could imagine someone with a purely get-poo poo-done perspective getting the impression that you have a practical goal in mind around minimizing power draw or hardware cost, rather than doing it for love of the game. A simple "I'm having fun running a surprisingly capable plex setup on RPi" might do a better job of heading off that sort of response. I think it's also fair to expect people to anticipate that we're doing this stuff in part because we're nerds who enjoy getting our hands dirty for the sake of it. But that has to be balanced with the value of sharing your setup with knowledgeable nerds and getting good advice you might not have been expecting or asking for.

Idk, feels like it boils down to having thicker skin. Running Plex on a Pi with a bunch of storage is kinda silly, and that's what makes it fun to read about. If you're secure in your intention to do this for the fun of the challenge, someone calling your goals silly shouldn't bother you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

8 GB of memory has been more than enough for me. I rarely see the entire system with *arrs and whatnot go past 2 GB