Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I bought a computer and connected it to my TV and put Plex HTPC on it. I noticed when watching video the colours looked all weird but in the plex menus everything was fine. I finally figured out that when I watch something the TV changes its 'picture' setting. To explain, the TV is a 4k Samsung (from like 2019?) and it has four colour modes like Vivid, Natural, Dynamic, and Film (or something like that). We leave it on Natural all the time but when playing video in Plex HTPC it was changing to Dynamic. And worse, the option to change it to Natural or Film disappears on the TV when watching something in Plex.

So for some reason whatever plex does when watching a video, it puts the TV in some mode where there are limited colour choices and I don`t like them. Huh.

I figured out if I change the refresh rate on the computer to 25 or 50 instead of 30 or 60 and turn off refresh rate switching in plex, then when we watch videos the colours stay the same and the TV provides all four colour settings. BUT then the videos often look a bit.. stuttery. Like every second there is a tiny stutter.

Can someone calmly explain what is going on here? What refresh rate do I want to set the computer display to that would be best for watching content in Plex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Aware posted:

My first thought is it's not handling HDR content?

The TV is not HDR and almost none of the content is HDR. The HDR tone mapping feature is enabled in plex but surely this has no effect when the content is not HDR?

Really I do not believe there is anything wrong with the colour output coming from plex or the computer. But depending on the refresh rate the TV seems to limit which colour profiles it will offer.

When I set the computer to use 25 or 50hz then the TV offers the "good" colour profiles but then the video has a slight stutter :/.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

CopperHound posted:

Any of you running Plex on Linux have an issue with the /dev/dri directory just disappearing until a reboot?

This is an 8th gen Intel on debian. I just want reliable quick sync.

Plex isn't in charge of what appears under /dev/. If the system is not populating /dev/dri/ as you expect it to be it implies the OS (kernel) had some issue loading the GPU drivers. So check journalctl for any error from your GPU kernel module. This is all probably a better question for the Linux thread btw.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The plex app on our samsung tv has started showing closed caption subtitles on almost any video we play and it is driving me loving bonkers. The subtitles in plex and on the tv are disabled as far as I can tell. If I watch the same video on my phone the CC are not there.

Is this some buried setting somewhere? Sometimes the two year old goes hard on the tv remote and odd things happen but I cannot find anything on the tv settings related to this.

To be clear, it is not the typical nice subtitles that can be enabled per video, it is the ugly CC style captions in a black rectangle that change location around the screen.

Google and samsung's website say the tv settings under 'General' should have a Captions menu item but our tv does not have it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It's a 49NU7105. There is no menu option for captions anywhere that I have found.

There is an Accessibility option in the General menu. It has a Subtitle Settings which I have turned off. But it makes no difference; I still get the CCs in plex. Note I don't get CCs when just watching OTA TV so maybe it is a plex thing, but plex only seems to have subtitle settings and those are turned off.

When using the plex app the tv's subtitle settings are greyed out but they show Off.

I am going to try resetting the plex app...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

kri kri posted:

Time for an actual streaming device

nah time for a new tv :p

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

MagusDraco posted:

I think it may be a problem or bug with the Tizen OS in some Samsung TVs. Once the OS level CCs get turned on for the plex app on the TV they will not turn back off unless you factory reset the TV. They ignore the command to turn them off or it gets greyed out. Found an old plex thread about it with another one of their TVs that uses the Samsung Tizen OS.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/samsung-tv-forces-closed-captions-eia-608-708/789008/10?u=antonio1475

Alternative option is to use FFMPEG and rerip everything and tell it to remove closed captions from the video stream of every file you play on plex. There's instructions on how to do that via command line stuff but that's kinda overkill compared to just factory resetting the tv and reinstalling plex/etc

Wow, thank you for finding that! I really thought I was crazy or somehow overlooking some super obvious setting in the menus.

I will try resetting everything tomorrow and see how it goes.

The tv did amazingly report a software update some days ago (surprising for a tv from 2018) and maybe that is when it started but I really don't know. We frequently enable subtitles when watching tv so it's not like that hasn't been enabled before.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Motronic posted:

I hope that's a joke. Because that's how you end up right back where you are.

Dedicated streaming devices are generally and largely superior in every way not only in hardware but in support and speed of development of clients.

It was half a joke. I hate the OS of this tv so I'd be happy to never use it again.

But really I usually have a pc connected and use Plex HTPC on it. It is sooo much snappier than the native tv app. But I moved the pc and now its IR receiver is out of sight. I just need to get one of those usb extender cable things so the dongle can be visible again. Going to get around to that any day now...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

MagusDraco posted:

I think the plex subtitles being turned on should be fine. It's when somehow you also enable the OS level ones for plex (the ones built into the TV with white text on black background that are in accessibility settings) that it breaks

Just to follow up on this, I reset the TV and that seems to have fixed it. Yay.

I also ordered a usb cable for the IR dongle so I can go back to using the PC.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I built a new media pc and the first thing I noticed is plex htpc flatpak performance with 4k content really blows.

I thought it might be a wayland thing but it seems to be this known problem with intel igpus not doing the expected hardware acceleration:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-desktop-on-linux-flatpak-is-not-doing-hardware-acceleration/850675

So that sucks. It's actually better to just run plex in the web browser lol.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
As far as 8 I know plex only provides the HTPC app as a flatpak. At least I cannot find any mention of an rpm or any repos providing it.

It sucks because mpv from rpm plays stuff just fine. You can muck with the mpv.conf in the flatpak but so far I haven't found any setting that makes any difference.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This latest plex news prompted me to try jellyfin again. Super simple to set up and the jellyfin htpc flatpak plays 4k just fine with hardware accel on this i3. But by golly is the UI ugly. It seems people have made different skins so maybe I will try to get one of them working.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
They share the same codebase, same API, same documentation, same UI, etc etc.

It's pretty slick if you are into that kind of thing :rolleyes:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Pull the latest image and recreate the container. Not having to janitor the packages inside the container is kinda what makes containers so useful and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

PRADA SLUT posted:

I already have Watchtower to update containers but it only runs when there's a new release of something.

If the contents of the image need updating then there should be a new release of the container image. Though you originally say you are trying to update "some Sonarr config things" which almost sounds like the container isn't an app or has some baked in configs that you need to modify???

Anyway, I know you are likely not the image author so you may not be able to control this stuff directly but in general if one is needing to modify/update bits of the shipped image then you are doing it wrong.

Maybe the bits you need to update can instead be on a volume mounted in the container so a host process can easily modify them without touching the container? Or if they have to be part of the baked image then it isn't too difficult to have your own Dockerfile that extends the image you are using.

:shrug: sorry to keep harping on this but whatever solution you find for your current task is going to be clunky because it goes against what the tools are designed to help do.