Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

teagone posted:

I think profiles are packaged inside the actual app. Right click the Plex Media Server app in whatever folder you put it in, and select "Show Package Contents". Should be somewhere in the Resources folder.

[edit] Apparently editing the XML files that way will get overwritten with each update. According to the Plex forums, in the ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server folder make a folder called "Profiles" and put a copy of the Chromecast.xml in there. The server will use the profiles you put there before it looks for one in the app package.

So the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles/Chromecast.xml

I did this, but I don't think it's working. I am still transcoding x264 mkv files. Anyone had any luck with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

How easy it is to set up a server like that? Does it come with some kind of os or would I need to buy something additionally?

Basically, I'm just wondering how feasible it is to set up for someone who has little to no experience with a server.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I'm comfortable with doing stuff like installing hard drives but I've never used Linux so I don't know if installing something like Ubuntu is going to be difficult for me

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

teagone posted:

If you've ever created/used a bootable DVD/USB drive with an image of Windows you can install Ubuntu. I had never used/installed Linux up until till like 2 years ago, and I did so without a hitch on some second hand laptops and netbooks I received. The Ubuntu site even has a nice 10 step guide for people to follow: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

Thanks for the help

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I have a chrome cast and I've never had an issue with plea

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I'm not entirely sure I get what this change entails. Right now, I have pled server installed on my laptop and I use the iOS app to cast stuff to my chrome cast. Can someone ruin me through the difference in what I do versus someone who uses plex home theatre or the new player?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

CrispKing posted:

If you have a PC/windows/mac/Raspberry Pi 2 or some sort of HTPC hooked up directly to your TV then you probably used to run Plex Home Theater on that. They're replacing that app with the new "Plex Media Player".

For you, this means nothing.

Thanks for replying to my poorly written phone post!

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

When I stream to my chromecast I have to set the quality to 720p 4mbs or I get stuttering - it sounds like some of you are getting 1080p on your chromecast so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is local, however the only quirk is that my computer is connected to a 5ghz version of the network while my chromecast is connected to the regular one. Not sure if that matters or not. Anyone have thoughts on this?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

I don't know about Chromecast, but when I stream to my Roku 3 I am able to flawlessly do it with uncompressed blu-ray files. Some of which exceed 40Gb for a 2 hour movie. This is over wifi.

What router are you using?

It's whatever time warner provided, but I can also stream to my ps4, phone and tablet at 1080, so I think it's something with the chromecast.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

pubic void nullo posted:

Having literally yesterday upgraded my household wireless, I can tell you that this is wireless quality (and thus throughput) related. By running an Ethernet cable from the back room where the server PC is, to the wireless router next the the Chromecast, I went from not being able to stream 1080p (and sometimes not high-action 720p) to being able to stream 1080p flawlessly.

Admittedly I do not know a ton about wireless networks, but wouldn't it be odd to be wireless quality given that I can stream 1080 to my phone, tablet and ps4 through wireless? I guess the difference is those devices are connecting on the 5ghz band, and my chromecast can't see that network. I guess I can try putting all my devices on the regular band and see if that works.

For more info, I was having stuttering on the chromecast even while selecting the 10mbs 1080p, so I don't think the issue is with the 12mbs hard limit some of you had mentioned.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

teagone posted:

This happens when casting from the Plex app on your phone?

Yes. Normally I have the quality on my phone set to 20mbs 1080p, but I have to switch to 4mbs 720p when I send to the chromecast. I haven't tried sending from the browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

pubic void nullo posted:

Putting all your devices on the regular band (2.4GHz) would halve the bandwidth available to the Chromecast if you are streaming over wireless (half channel time would go to receiving data from the Plex server, half channel time to the Chromecast). It would probably make the situation worse. Especially since the most likely scenario you are facing is interference from another wireless network on the 2.4GHz band. Are you on Channel 1, 6 or 11? Are there other wireless networks within range in the 2.4GHz band? The second most likely scenario is just poor signal quality at the AP, if you can log into your router then check the signal/noise ratio for the Chromecast and the server.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll check out the router channels and signal/noise.