Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Are there any news updates in regards to Apple TV opening up as a platform where we'd get a native plex app without requiring a jailbroken apple TV or the plexConnect python script? I prefer to have an app instead of airplay from my phone, but browsing on the TV is a bit of a pain. It's all minor complaints, just wondering if there's a smoother way to browse without another device in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

withak posted:

Is that where you trick the native Trailers app into talking to your Plex server instead of talking to Apple?
Yep.

GutBomb posted:

The platform opening would be really nice but they didn't announce anything like that at the WWDC last week so it's not happening anytime soon. That being said, I've been using plexconnect for a couple of months now on an ATV3 and it's working great. If you're having trouble setting it up I can try to walk you through it in an IM or something.

I see. I have a jailbroken ATV2 with the app installed, as I had some problems with plexconnect when I attempted it. I appreciate the offer for setting it up, but things are running smoothly otherwise for me. I was just hoping they would do something more with the platform finally, guess we'll have to wait a while still :(.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

kri kri posted:

Looking to replace my parents HP Microserver with something that can transcode for Plex. I see from earlier this spring the Dell t20 would be a good deal, is there anything similar or better than this?

I prefer to not build it myself. I would like 4-6 hard drive bays if possible.

I'm in a semi-similar boat. I'm trying to decide if I want to build a custom server that will primarily be for FreeNAS + Plex, or if I should maybe just go with a Synology NAS or something. I like the idea of having a PC that I can repair / upgrade as needed, and potentially having an additional box in my place for whatever I might need it for (HTPC, maybe a Steam streaming box, or something else I can't think of yet). Then again, doing that and having a reliable setup will cost quite a bit more, as I'll want plenty of storage. The drives are going to cost a bunch either way. Anyone have any advice?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
With a PlexPass and using the sync feature in iOS, is it possible to use that as an automatic way to sync video and transfer them to a computer (probably via iTunes)? Like, the VLC app lets you drag/drop video in iTunes under the apps tab, and if you go to another computer, go back to that screen in iTunes, you can drag those files out of there (off the phone) right onto the new computer. It's really handy. I just want to know if the Plex sync feature would allow the same type of behavior, just without requiring me to be physically at a computer / plugged in and in iTunes when transferring to the phone.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

kri kri posted:

When you sync something to your mobile device it will transcode the file. I don't think this is what you are looking for, could you not just download the file via Plex/Web?

I see. I never thought to download it via the web, so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
So I have an iPhone that I'm able to airplay from my home server whenever I'm out and people want to watch something I have. It's really slick, but only useful when someone has an Apple TV in the house, which isn't too common.

If I grabbed a Chromecast, could I use it as a travel plex airplay device? I do have a Plex Pass if that still matters for using one with Plex.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Medullah posted:

The only problem with that is if you go to hotels and want to use their WiFi, it's a bit tricky to get a Chromecast to work since there's generally a "accept terms and conditions page". The best thing to do there is bring a portable router

While that is definitely a good thought, I'd primarily be using this at people's homes for photos and movies and stuff. In that scenario, it sounds like it should work well. I think I remember reading that once you initiate the playback on the chromecast via my phone, the connection is then made directly between the chromecast and the plex server directly, and my phone is out of the loop, right?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I'm considering getting the in-laws an Amazon Fire TV stick for them to stream remotely from my server. They have a first generation roku now and it just doesn't do remote for more than 10 or 20 seconds at a time after buffering for 2 minutes. Chrome cast is another option, but the Fire TV has such a nice interface, plus a remote for them is a better option.

Anyone try one for this yet? Is it worth doing, or is there a better option?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

teagone posted:

How certain are you it's the roku causing the buffering? Are they able to watch remotely from their PC or another device (phone, tablet) without issue?

Well I thought it was the Roku before I went there last night. Playing locally was spotty as hell too, but my chromecast and phone had no problems playing from their server, so I still am suspecting the roku being the culprit.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
So this month or next I'm planning on moving to a more permanent solution for plex, downloads, storage, and other stuff that isn't my primary machine. It's a more expensive route, but I'm leaning towards a newer mac mini and a drobo. Anyone have any experiences to talk me out of this? I'm open to hearing other suggestions if anyone cares to share any with me. Mac will have more of a purpose than just a plex server / PHT box, eventually anyway.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Plex on my Apple TV 2 all of a sudden stopped seeing my server on the LAN and showing listings. After a lot of fiddling, I got it working, but only by giving it the WAN IP of the server. It's dialing out and back in to stream stuff, which is ridiculous. Anyone have any idea on how can I revert this to work properly?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

teagone posted:

Oh man, you can't pause Plex from the lock screen in iOS? That sucks :(

I do this all the time, both when airplaying to an Apple TV and to a Chromecast. Never had a problem.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I've been running Plex on a first gen iPad for a few years now. For a long time we had a ton of problems with crashes just from simple browsing. Recently got a new server and wanted to purge the old cached posters. Since then, it's been running absolutely perfectly. Not a single crash since clearing the cache in the Plex app.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Cornjob posted:

i just set mine up, it crashes when i try to play a movie from a playlist. playing the same movie from the main library, it doesnt crash.

Ah, I also made a playlist of movies the other day, it's pretty huge, about 300 movies or so. Whenever I open the playlist it just nopes right out and shuts down, forgot about that. Not sure what to say about the playlist, maybe if it's a large playlist make it smaller? Not sure, the first gen ipads definitely are showing their age in Plex, might not be available to you.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Is there any hope for the Plex app persisting its app state for longer than 5 minutes or whatever it's set at? If it would just persist, I think that would be the only thing I don't like about their entire suite of features. If I'm listening to music, it will continue to play for a while. Then when I unlock it, it just ditches playback and the app state and I have to re-browse for my stuff again.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Cornjob posted:

ill try disabling it when i get home. if xbmc doesnt care, and plex does, then i think plex is the problem.

I'm aways surprised how many things an Antivirus can end up interfering with. You're right, it's possible it's unrelated, but yea, as you said, it's better to try disabling and just confirm it one way or the other.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

FlyingCheese posted:

If you want to store all of your music on your phone why use Google Music? There are a few pretty good local storage music players out there to choose from.

Large libraries may not fit on a device but may fit in Google's free storage. I use both. It's not very convenient to fill my phone up with music as the space is used for a lot of other things, so I just put a few dozen albums and stuff on then stream from elsewhere when I want stuff that's not there, it works pretty well.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

teagone posted:

Cool.

[edit] Plex works seamlessly for me. I also share my server remotely with 3 families in 2 different states who have no issues streaming to their iPhones, iPads, Rokus, etc.

Yea, gotta second this. Sorry you're having issues, but I've had almost no issues in playback as a result of Plex. Once in a while I notice some downloads are oversaturating my connection or something, but I have an absolutely massive library with about 10,000 video files, 20,000 music files, and another 13,000 photos. I share it with in-laws, my parents, siblings, and a few friends. No issues. Streams to new phones, a first gen ipad, smart TV apps, Apple TV, chromecast, everything is great. It's a life saver, can't imagine what I'd do without it now.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

sellouts posted:

Can you mobile sync to iOS yet?

What is mobile sync?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

kri kri posted:

Syncing media to a mobile device.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yes, you can as long as you have Plex Pass. I've been syncing shows to my iPhone so I can use it offline at the gym.

Yea I was going to say I've been doing this for a while, ever since I bought my plex pass last summer before the price change. I believe they added it early 2014 for iOS, but I'm not sure on the date.

The only issue I have with that is I used to use iExplorer to pull off my transcoded media and play it on a computer, but since iOS 8.3's change with how apps are default to hide their assets when browsing through, I can't do that anymore. I doubt that Plex will enable that, but I don't think it's a major thing for them to change. Still holding out hope.

My major issue with the iOS app is the drat state of the app just getting lost after 10 minutes. If I'm listening to music and have an album playing, it's fine if I don't unlock my phone, but the moment I do if it's been playing for a little while, the app state refreshes and fires up like I just opened it for the first time, killing the stream and forcing me to re-browse and re-play again.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2015

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Do the plex forums have separate login credentials from the plex app? Or is it a shared password?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Khablam posted:

Single sign-in. If you used / had a forums account, the password is the same.

Apparently salted hashes were stolen, so the chances of them being used ever are gazillions to one, but if you were one of the accounts included in the forums database you'll get an email forcing you to reset the password to log back in.

Awesome, was wondering why I didn't have a forums entry in my lastpass. It's a unique password so I'm totally good, already changed the password too. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
For low power setup, I use a Mac mini and it's perfect for that. Not cheap unfortunately.