Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

Just started getting an error saying I can't connect securely to my server via my desktop browser. PlexKodiConnect also wouldn't update on my HTPC. If I connect insecurely it works. I haven't changed anything and don't know why this would start happening. Any ideas?

This happened to me a few months ago, it was some port on my router refusing to open via UPNP. The uptime was months long and I guess the buffer didn't clear or something. A quick reboot of the router and I signed out/in to Plex again in PKC and it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

lurksion posted:

Seriously? News feeds? Really? Guess the email client is next.

It's just a section with links to personalized external news sources, whats the problem? Many people actually watch the news.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah that sounds like its running out of cache space or something, check the free space on the Shield. Plex DBs can bloat up quickly. I have a 2015 Shield TV with PlexKodiConnect and it was pulling down actor thumbnails and other stupid poo poo I don't care about. I'm on wired gigabit so I had it just pull them on demand instead which shaved off like 4GB on my library.

quote:

there's a huge MicroSD inside that I've migrated everything to, including PMS

What is the free space reported on the Shield? Just the internal, ignore the MicroSD for now. What kind of MicroSD card is it and how much use has it seen?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
How much free space is there on the internal storage portion?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Godinster posted:

I tried the Apple TV recently and I have no idea how someone could come to that conclusion. Not only is the UI really weird, the controller is the worst piece of poo poo I've ever used. I guess it could be more tolerable with a Harmony or something.

Yeah I've dicked around with one at a friends and it's not something I would use as a daily driver. I guess if you're really into the Apple ecosystem its fine but I host my own content server anyway.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's not just you, I had issues with it as well when I had a Windows fileserver running Plex. It wasn't consistent either and if you go on their forums you find many identical issues. I moved everything to UnRAID a few weeks ago and been smooth sailing since using Plex in a docker.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I moved to unRAID as well. I looked at FreeNAS but I just don't need that level of insanity for my bullshit media collection. The inability to expand easily was my primary reason, along with the increased costs that arise from it.
The Docker collection on unRAID is really nice and I can add a second parity drive if I ever decide to care that. I got a cheap SSD on sale to act as a write cache as well. As a bonus the VM integration with KVM is pretty nice.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

emocrat posted:

This is a general question, not geared at particular poster. Why do people care so much about direct play? Are you all running this on systems that cant handle a single transcode stream? Is it a purity/perfect signal thing where we can't abide the notion that an imperfection may have been introduced?

Seems strange to me. Part of what makes Plex great for me is that I no longer need to care at all about that stuff, it will play just fine. Either Direct Play or Transcoded at 20mbit 1080p

My server doubles as my gaming machine thanks to GPU passthru and CPU isolation. I also share my Plex library with some friends and family. Any time I can get Direct Play is a huge benefit, transcoding is really expensive even on modern hardware.

As someone else mentioned too, a lot of people run like low powered NAS hardware like Synology where even a single transcode can be problematic.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whenever people ask, they say its just a random script they run on the user database. So I really don't think there's any logic or reason to it, people who already have Plex Pass get the offers even.

It is kind of funny reading all of the various methods people have on reddit, redflagdeals and other sites to "trigger" the email though :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

So I picked up one of the new 65 TCL series 6 tvs a few weeks ago when they came out.

First (not Plex related) these things are the poo poo. The hype about them is real. You can get LED tvs that look a little better for more, or you can go OLED and get an outstanding looking TV for quite a lot more, but for $1000 USD ($650 for the 55 inch) it wipes the floor with everything else. I have a Sony 930E downstairs and this loving thing looks just as good at half the cost.

Second, it uses Roku for its "smart" interface - it's basically a new-style Roku Ultra (only it supports Dolby Vision, like the TV itself, which the external Ultra does not) integrated with the TV. I kind of thought I would hate it because I am used to older Rokus with poo poo interfaces but this one, while still using a fairly bland (but easy) main interface uses Roku OS 8, which allows for much nicer looking apps. Including Plex which I will get to in a sec. And it's also much faster.

Biggest problem with the Rokus is they insist on showing lovely ads in the main UI - not a lot, but more than enough - and also they track you. This however is easy to rectify by using a Pi-hole network ad blocker, which is another topic I won't go in to here. Works fine with all that poo poo blocked.

Finally, the Plex client. I had no idea it had gotten so good on the Roku. It used to be fairly lovely but having now used the Android TV (Shield), AppleTV (my parents have one) and various mobile apps I can say this is the best one. Whoever they have working on it knows what they are doing, or at least cares.

The UI is nice and clean and updated for the newer Roku models. It's super fast to browse and find stuff. Playback is great - if you have Roku thumbnail generation enabled on your PMS seeking is the best out of any Plex app I have ever used, and it's much easier to navigate around during playback, do chapter skips, enable subs, etc. than, for example the Android TV app. And the newer Rokus support a lot more codecs and containers for direct playback (though there are always a few that some folks miss having but that is the same for everything).

And I can even play 4k HDR rips correctly, with SRT subtitles, something even the Shield client can't manage to do right (with Android TV, if audio transcodes - like you are playing it with a soundbar that doesn't support Dolby Atmos/etc. - and you enable subtitles the video will transcode too, which breaks HDR. Even non-image based subtitles like SRT which shouldn't be "burned" in. It's a bug they have yet to fix, but it's fine on the Roku client).

Don't those TCL TVs only have 60hz panels and have forced interpolation on all the time? I was looking at the specs and they seem interesting for the price but I worry about the downsides and I kinda hate TV SoCs after several bad experiences. I do need a TV for the spare room though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

...whispers...come to Emby...you'll like it....

Seriously, I have lifetime passes for both, and still run my Plex server for the relatives I don't want to act as the IT guy for and teach them to switch, but Emby's clients - always a weak point - have vastly improved in the last 6-12 months while Plex has been...Plex.

On the server side I've always preferred Emby.

I think I'll wait to see how the open source fork of Emby goes. I didn't realize they started introducing closed source stuff like Plex did. For now I'm just sticking with Plex, it's mature and the metadata editing has come along so /shrug. Emby always had weird, outsourced apps too but it's been awhile since I checked it out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know about any of that but in the past the apps have sucked, they had lovely nag screens/pricing and that doesn't inspire confidence in their "business model". Frankly I don't see any real reason to use it over Plex anymore now that the metadata editing has improved there, that was the only thing I ever cared about.

Getting back to Plex, I actually dig the new Roku interface and so far it still runs well on an Ultra anyway.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does it still do a show background when loading an episode for you? It's one thing I always liked about the Roku (it buffers up slower than my Apple TV does) but I watched something yesterday and it was just a boring black background. Boo!

I'll check this out tonight when I'm at my GFs, shes got a Roku so that's where I've been using it. I've got a Shield TV at home.

One thing I noticed right away though was the better implementation for displaying collections in the Roku app.

Oh and for those with a Shield, the 7.2 update is out. It includes some auto-color space switching stuff and a bunch of other updates.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just use Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect addon. Best of both worlds.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Semi-related, here's a pretty good Twitter thread on some of the "choices" made for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer remaster.

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110056552411684865

That poo poo goes well beyond color grading. They screwed up cropping some of the scenes and you can see the loving crew in them! That whole thing was such a debacle, they should just yank it entirely.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So a long time ago I was having a problem with my TCL TV and the built in Plex app just crashing on startup. You might remember this one Ixian. I was never able to resolve it until recently. I doubt anyone else will run into this but just in case they do or this pops up on Google searches, here is the solution. Basically there was some stupid library that Roku didn't include with specific sets/regions, if you add that channel in the link I provided it will work again.

So I can finally just use the TCL TV for Plex and everything else. I long ago bought a Shield TV I'm happy with for that TV but oh well :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone had issues with Plex grabbing the wrong poster for movies lately? I'm not sure what changed but I've had to manually adjust posters a dozen times in the past week, its getting annoying. It's always picking fanart or something with no movie name on the poster itself. If I edit the poster and look at the other options, the correct one is usually the next option.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

I believe this is due to some issues recently with TVDB?

Hmm I can't seem to google up anything on this but I'll keep digging. Frustrating, always something with tvdb.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

The tvdb stuff shouldn’t affect movies though. Maybe change from the plex scanner to the Tmdb one? Only issue with that is if you add a duplicate movie, it’ll list it twice from my experience. If you never do that, shouldn’t be any issues.

Yeah it's not duplicates. Some new movies I add it just picks some weird poster with no text on it so in my collection I have no idea what it is without clicking into it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

No I mean the issue with changing scanner over is if you have, say, The Terminator in your collection and you add it again with a different scanner (I do this for a variety of reasons) then it'll see it as two separate entries. You can presumably merge them or do a full library rescan if you don't have any custom stuff going on but it's something to note. In your case, I'd just change the scanner over to TMDB and it should fix your issues.

Ahhhh I didn't even think of that, thanks. I'll see about swapping over when I get home.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I continue to have the same problem as last week. New movies get added to the library fine but it is selecting screenshots of the movie instead of actual poster images for the poster. If I manually edit the movie I can pick a poster and everything is fine. This all started a few weeks ago and confounds me, I can't seem to google any solutions either. I have checked the library settings and The Movie DB is listed as the top provider. I'm not sure why this started or how to address it. Anyone else run into this or can suggest a solution? Google is kinda useless and turns up a bunch of people who aren't naming things correctly which is definitely not the case here.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
A few weeks ago I was grousing about my posters not updating in Plex, just with Movies. I finally tracked it down so just in case anyone else has the problem, see this thread on the Plex forums. They are also issuing a fix in the server itself at some point but no clue when that will happen. It was driving me absolutely insane, my config had not changed in years and yet posters refused to download for movies, it was just using still images taken from the file itself. If you're using unRAID dockers like me then the Plex docker lives in /mnt/cache/Plex. Anyways just a heads up post.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 23, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah it’s up to date. It does pull them , I can go in and choose posters from my pc when i connect to the server, it just automatically pics this ugly crap first and I need to change it

I ran into this last month and it was loving annoying to debug. See this post of mine and follow the directions on the Plex forums. Let me know if that addresses it. I suspect it might be the same thing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Unraid, good as it is, is a terrible choice for the "just want something simple that works" crowd. You will be loving around with it forever. Which is fantastic for people who love to dick around with stuff, that is most of the fanbase, but I would never foist it on someone who barely understands the concept of a NAS, for example.

I don't really agree with this. Once you set it up its pretty much forget it. I login to my unraid box a few times a year to make sure package updates are still happening and that's about it. Any screwing around with it is because you would want to do more with it, not because you have to.

But I agree that someone who doesn't even understand what a NAS is should probably just get an external hard drive or have someone else setup their NAS for them. Synology is fine too I guess.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How are you guys doing automatic backup on your Plex servers? I haven't been able to find a home product with an adequate amount of data storage.

Actual media backup? I don't bother. Once a month I have a cronjob that spits out a directory listing of the media volumes which is then emailed to me. Most of my stuff is replaceable. If you have stuff you personally ripped then I would probably back that up with Crashplan or run my own Nextcloud server. That gets expensive though and most of my stuff I could just get again. Some people abuse the Google Drive and OneDrive free account thing but it seems like a hassle to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a good way to create stuff that will show up on shared users home screen areas? I have some elderly family members who can't seem to navigate the library and essentially live on the Recently Added and home pages. I want to create a curated section of stuff for them since they often remark that they can't find the show we're discussing or etc. Right now I just have a Movies and TV Shows library filled with stuff but when something disappears from the home/recently added/etc sections its like it ceases to exist for them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

Add them to a Collection?

Do those pop up on their home screens or are they in a separate section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks that's really helpful, I'll give it a shot this weekend.