Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

teagone posted:

Any remote Roku devices should be able to Direct Play content from your server so long as the audio streams in your content aren't DTS-HD or TrueHD/Atmos.

I thought that had been fixed? I never actually look at the receiver to see what audio version it's using, I just assumed I was getting the full deal. I guess it must be downgrading to DD/DTS 5.1?

OK, main reason for posting. I'm trying to plan my next phase of upgrades and integration. We're adding a home theatre room to the basement, and as part of that step I would like to get Plex off my PC to reduce power consumption, and also generally unify things. Right now my PC is the Plex server, and we generally just stream (direct play 1080p files, no transcoding) to the Roku 2 in the living room. The setup is currently (and the future setup will also be) by wired gigabit connection. The expansion will likely mean we could be streaming to any of the theatre, rec room, living room, or bedroom at any time, but likely not more than 2 streams at once, and usually just one. Bedroom will probably have a Roku Streaming Stick, just for ease of use. The living room will keep the Roku2, or upgrade to a Roku Premiere. Rec room will have whichever option the living room doesn't take (2 or Premiere). And for the HT I was thinking about an nvidia Shield. I think the last time I looked, the Shield may have been the best (only) option for Atmos and DTS:X content? That will be a priority in the theatre.

What I am mostly trying to figure out it how to get the PC out of the equation. Should I get a simple NAS since I don't do any transcoding (that I'm aware of anyway)? Should I get a higher end NAS with some processing power? Or should I go to a NUC or a light PC server designed to be low power usage? I don't want to overdo this, but I also want to make sure I have a decent solution that won't result in buffering. Ideally, what I'm looking for is a reasonably small (to go on a shelf in the storage closet with switch, modem, etc.) somewhat low power use box that I can leave always on and not worry about. Bonus points if I can use it to do a regular automatic backup of the PC. Almost all of my media is 1080p (or 720p for more casual TV shows) that is played without transcoding - or at least that's my intention. Is there a clear go-to solution for me? I want it to be as easy to set up and use as possible. I will probably want about 8TB or so in storage space. I don't necessarily care about RAID redundancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU