Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've got a third generation Chromecast plugged into my TV. I use it to cast from my phone to play. I've recently using a Plex server where nearly everything is encoded in 1080p h265. It plays just fine on my phone, but the Chromecast struggles badly so I need to get a replacement device.

Chromecast with Google TV for £60 seems the natural replacement (probably with f-launcher & SmartTube that I learnt about earlier in this page) given what I cast is pretty much just Plex/YouTube/Netflix. Reading about it, some people seem to be frustrated with the 8GB of storage. I'm not sure why I'd need the extra power of an Nvidia Shield (£130-175?) as I don't care about gaming and have no plans to get a 4K TV anytime soon (1080p looks fine to me). I also should be fine with WiFi so don't need the ethernet support of the Nvidia Shield.

I'd love some feedback on my thought process before I buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

MikusR posted:

You need a calculator, but people on the internet are suggesting an accounting firm. I have a Mibox S with the same 8gb and lower specs that ccgtv and it runs everything fine.

Thanks for the comment. I ordered one and got it today. The launcher is way busier than it needs to be and full of advertising garbage (flauncher installed, just need to make it default) but it plays things so beautifully.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
A really silly question... When I try to play things from Plex that use DTS 5.1, my new Google Chromecast makes me transcode it. I'm not convinced my TV supports it. Is that what is triggering the request to transcode? When I search, I find people talking about the Chromecast itself having issues with DTS 5.1.

In my mind eg if I tried to play 4k on a 1080p TV, I'd imagine that the TV would just take the 4k signal and output 1080p. Same should happen in my mind with audio that's higher quality than my TV supports.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm streaming regular 1080p HEVC from a remote Plex server. Using the Plex app in installed on my Chromecast with Google TV (fully updated), it can frequently buffer - sometimes playing the film pretty much flawlessly, but sometimes buffering every few minutes making it annoying to watch. This can also happen if I use the Plex app on my phone and cast to the Chromecast itself. It will sometimes give me the message that my connection is maybe not good enough and I should consider dropping the quality rather than using Direct Play - but I don't want to transcode.

If I stream the same film on my Macbook Pro in the same room (using the Plex site in Google Chrome), it streams without buffering. They're both connected to my Amazon Eero. The Macbook is easy to tell it's on the 5Ghz network, the Chromecast doesn't say. The TV is fairly old and I'm just using it's built in regular (stereo?) speakers. The playback info says it's direct playing the audio rather than transcoding.

Any advice on what I can do to try to minimise this?

An example of the file info for a film that was buffering today...

code:
Codec HEVC
Bitrate 6001 kbps
Language English
Language Tag en
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Location left
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Coded Height 1080
Coded Width 1920
Color Range tv
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 1080
Level 4.0
Profile main
Ref Frames 1
Width 1920
Display Title 1080p (HEVC Main)
Extended Display Title 1080p (HEVC Main)
Codec AC3
Channels 6
Bitrate 640 kbps
Language English
Language Tag en
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Title Dolby Digital 5.1 (Surround)
Display Title English (AC3 5.1)
Extended Display Title Dolby Digital 5.1 (Surround) (English AC3)
Codec SRT
Language English
Language Tag en
Title English (SDH)
Display Title English (SRT)
Extended Display Title English (SDH) (SRT)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

deong posted:

My Chromecast TV is literally 6 ft from my router, and I had the same issue.
I got the Ethernet/power combo to fix the problem. Chromecast has the worst WiFi.

Good call - thanks, I've just ordered it and will see if it clears up the issue. If not, I'm sure I can post it back for a refund.