Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Is there any way to get Plex Media Server to recognize and scrape movies/TV shows that are RAR'd?

My Plex server is running on an Ubuntu box which is also my file server at home. I use it to serve files over Samba/Plex to various XBMC/Plex/Windows devices.

I've recently run into a problem where many of my files are in RAR format, which XBMC picks up fine but Plex does not recognize. Anyone have this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

sellouts posted:

Why would you not extract the movie from the rar?

Because I need to keep the file in rar format to seed, and if I extract it then its taking up twice the storage space since I have it twice.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm getting tired of the Tizen apps on my Samsung tv and was going to add either a Roku Ultra or an Apple TV 4k. How much of a pain in the rear end is Plex on Apple TV these days? Is it going to be mostly transcoding?

Most of my Plex content is H264 video, with audio being a mix of AAC/AC3/DTS (I generally tried to include both AAC/AC3 or AAC/DTS where possible, but not every file has AAC).

Go for the Roku Ultra over the Apple TV. It supports more codecs natively so there will be less transcoding. The Roku Remote is also just better. Its more user friendly and just works. It's also 50% the price of the Apple TV 4k.

I'm pretty deep in the Apple Ecosystem (iPhone, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, iPad Pro) and I still prefer the Roku Ultra over the Apple TV.

Even if they cost the same, I would STILL buy the Roku Ultra.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I've run Plex servers on 3 completely different systems now and still haven't found a system that will reliably transcode on the fly x265 with subtitles on unless the subs are .srt or downloaded via the plex-pass enabled subtitle selection menu.

The normal subtitle format I come across in *265 encodes are a format that requires every frame to be rendered on the fly with the subtitles burnt into them and no system Ive used can do it so far.

Try using the subtitle menu to download new subtitles and see if that fixes your issue, or figure out why your client is transcoding instead of direct playback.

@forest spirit can you share the specs / OS of your server? I haven't hosted Plex server on anything insane but my experience does not mirror yours at all when it comes to x265 and subtitles specifically.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

EL BROMANCE posted:

By HEVC/265 files with subs, are we talking about regular movie UHD remuxes with whatever the disc format is in, 1080p reencodes of the previous, or wacky anime stuff that might have all kinds of weird and wondering subtitle encodings.

In my experience the issue pops up on any x265/h265 files with PGS subtitles + transcoding. If you remove any 1 of those variables it works fine.

Looten Plunder posted:

What's the most effective way of diagnosing the reason something needs to transcode, is it via the Client app on my Shield or the Server App on my PC?

Plex dashboard on computer while playing on the shield should show you if you are transcoding and then also show you if it’s transcoding video, audio, or both.

Then it’s just changing settings around until you get direct play working. I don’t recall ever running across any files that couldn’t be direct played with my Nvidia shield tv pro + lg OLED.

Here’s a Reddit thread from a few months ago regarding PGS transcoding. There’s a good post from Blind_Watchman that narrows it down well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/tvfbal/what_sort_of_processing_power_do_i_need_for_pgs/

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 20, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Looten Plunder posted:

Thanks for the info.

It's mind blowing to me that something as seemingly innocuous as loving subtitles can cause so many issues.

You’re welcome!

I thought the same thing when I first ran into the issue like 3 years ago and it hasn’t gotten any better since then.

My 4K content is still only available locally because I’ve not yet figured out a solution to the PGS problem. Please let us know if you find out a fix!

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Motronic posted:

And here I am just innocuously remixing a 4k video in real time.......

(you're asking a lot - the ability to do this on a single machine in real time was simply not a thing not all that long ago)

With PGS subtitles specifically? I can transcode 4K in real time no problem as long as no PGS subs.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

gariig posted:

There's really not a "fix" to be done. You either need to have all clients support PGS, remove PGS for SRT/VTT subs (subs in a text file) in your library, or allow Plex to transcode the stream to burn the PGS subs into the stream for the player. You could "burn" the subs in yourself offline and host that in your Plex library so it can be direct played. PGS is more or less a transparent PNG that's overlayed onto the video you are watching. DVD subs were the same way except I think those were JPEG.

I already know this bro. But I want to know if there’s a system strong enough to burn PGS subs in real time as 2 people seem to be claiming they possess. I have asked them to clarify what their server specs are and neither have.

The strongest Plex server I tested this on had a 1080ti and I couldn’t even get it working smoothly on that. But that was years ago now.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LRADIKAL posted:

12 active users within the last seven days if you count my wife and I as one person.

Exact same number of users here!

67TB of content
~2200 Movies
~1100 TV Shows Seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
AITA? I feel as though my plex server is being treated unjustly.