Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have used 200 and now 500 mbit powerline adapters of varying brands and they have all worked flawlessly, even with each other. You lose a bit of bandwidth jumping circuits though. I have never understood why people complained - I've used them in multiple houses for the past 8 years of any age from 30 to 100 years old and they were all good (the oldest one working the best).

Make sure you use the WPS encryption otherwise a neighbor can very easily or unknowingly be using your internet connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

In my experience every floor between units will half the bandwidth, especially if you have different floors on different circuits.

The advertised bandwidth is also a theoretical maximum much like wifi, but also you can only hit half of the advertised amount in one direction.

For example at my parents house my old room was only capable of pulling 12mbit as it was upstairs. Their tv and the computer connected to the router would hit the full 100mbit Internet or gbit to the server.

The N wireless in my iMac would max out the Internet connection on 2.4 or 5ghz but for whatever reason couldn't upload files to the server over wifi and downloading them was less than 50kbits.

I now just run anything that doesn't move on a gigabit switch on a powerline kit and anything that does uses wifi. My current house is a much shorter run and same circuit so it's basically a non issue.

Some of the devices do have software for checking bandwidth between units too. Netgear has the best in my experience. I'm currently using Netcomm 500mbit units.

The only bad ones I have used were edimax, which needed a reboot once a week and one of them eventually died.

They are discussed pretty thoroughly in the home networking thread in SH/SC if anyone wants more info

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How does plex handle multiple versions of the same film?

I have 2 copies of a movie, one is a regular 700mb rip and the other is a 4.6GB HD rip. I only see one entry in Plex when I go to view my list of movies.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What if plex is identifying stuff wrong?

I have a bunch of snowboarding films that are being either not labelled or incorrectly labelled. is there any way to correct them? I delete/skip downloading nfo files and name the files myself when I move them to the snowboard film directory.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone put their plea media database on hosting?

I'm trying to think of a good way I can share media with my parents than taking them a USB stick every other week.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My parents are too stupid to use the internet to download things.

it is easier that I tell them to open the Plex app on their TV and look at all the nice new stuff to watch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FYI I was never suggesting I wanted to host the files myself. I have the files on my server and, if I wanted to, I could share them to my parents already. it works. I tested it.

The problem is, I have a 1mbit up connection, which, in a house with 4 housemates, is not really a connection that can handle the gaming and netflixing plus streaming video out all during peak times.

I was asking if anyone had put their media/Plex in the cloud to share stuff. Sure it would essentially be 'Netflix lite' or whatever but I would still keep my files locally and sync it out. I would of course have other uses for the server (backup of photos and videos and other stuff I dont want to lose being one of them) so the cost isnt entirely to support my parents streaming (which if anything, would be significantly less than what I am doing with it)

and yes some people literally have no idea how computers or the internet work. Being in IT, you should know that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My dad is 65 and only just stopped using a Nokia 3310 last year.

He worked as a fitter for 45 years and has never required a computer for work at all.

So yeah, you are incredibly over estimating the computer literacy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Even if you set up magnet links and all that other complicated poo poo, you're still the one they will call when it doesn't work. If you're going to be responsible for something not working, you might as well make it what you want.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I run plex on my netgear NAS that has a dual core arm CPU and it hasn't choked transcoding anything.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CEC is definitely flaky as gently caress. it seems to work perfectly the first time and then any time after that it is a total wash.

my ATVv4 worked fine when I first configured it but any time after that it will either not work at all or only turn the TV on and not change to the correct input and then not turn the TV off.

it seems like such a simple thing to standardise and have work but none of the big name brands (apple, sony, samung) devices in my experience get it right.

at least the xbox one IR blasting has never let me down.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

whats the quickest way to update my database to show all the movies/shows I have watched as watched?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I run my plex app on my Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 (i think thats it, dual or quad core atom CPU) and it is totally fine pushing large 1080P files over ethernet to my apple tv.

whether or not it can do more than one stream is yet to be seen, but you defintely dont need a high power NAS as a server to transcode.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I noticed that too and it's really annoying if you watch an episode and then go to the season button, then next episode.

My girlfriend came over and binged through masters of sex without once using the menu/back button on the remote so when I went to go back to the shows menu it took like 20 back presses.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just a heads up for anyone running Plex on their ReadyNAS RN20x series NAS, the 'update available' option when you log in to your server downloads successfully but wont install as a manually updated app, and it will actually totally gently caress your install requiring you to reinstall from the app tab in your NAS config where you'll see there is the Plex app, and the Plex app (for RN2XX)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It would be nice if the ATV app told me it couldnt connect to my Plex server due to a version discrepancy rather than just failing to connect forever with no indication at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My Plex Server has gone to poo poo lately. previously have had no issues streaming 1080P h.264 stuff over wired connection to my apple TV running plex, or any of my iOS devices.

now, cant even get it to transcode down to 4mbit streams without it buffering every few minutes and the buffering itself takes minutes at a time.

was there a recent update that borked something? its saying my network connection is too slow but that definitely is not the case as its been fine previously and the network itself has not changed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

priznat posted:

After that recent UI change I couldn’t play fullscreen on ios devices anymore via browser (I don’t have a plex pass/app) so I dumped it for emby. Been fine and fairly seamless so far imo.

my NAS is not supported :(

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

How are you on disk space? In the past I had my transcode directory pointing at a disk that would fill up on occasion and it would murder the server when that happened.

10% of 3TB free according to my NAS. None of this stuff should actually need to transcode though as most of the video codecs are natively supported by the Apple TV and the iOS devices. I dont think this is to blame as its been that low for a while now with no ill effects.

Im going to try a new router over the weekend to rule out the possibility it is a speed issue, but its very strange. all my old 1080P content that worked without a problem now doesnt work at all.

setup:
Netgear ReadyNAS RN204 (1.5ghz ARM dual core, 2GB RAM)
Apple TV v4
gigabit router with ethernet over power setup (NAS and ATV both sitting on the same gigabit switch)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a feeling its one of the updates for Plex. I have to manually apply my updates as there is no signed app for the NAS so i download the complete package and install over the top of the old version to preserve the db/settings stuff.

I might try and grab an older version and go back because its utterly unusable in its current state.

Will try the router thing first since that has the added benefit of increasing the wifi coverage over our lovely ISP supplied router.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im having a bad time with these new HEVC codec videos. I take it Plex has not updated to identify devices that support playback of these codecs?

Trying to select to direct stream on my ATV4 or my iphone 7, it wont let me select that option and keeps selecting to transcode to the highest quality 1080P stream it can.

My Plex server lives on my NAS which is an ARM CPU so it definitely cant handle transcoding.

If I play the video via VLC on my apple TV it'll work fine-ish, but fast moving scenes caus the screen to go grey/artifacty.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Plex on Apple TV has been really unstable for me. Once it's running a show it's fine, but opening the app usually causes it to crash or restart or not find the server maybe 3-4 times before it comes good. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My whole setup is wired so it's not that for me either. Plex server is running on my NAS and both ends are up to date.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I don't think this is a plex specific issue as it affects other apps too, but I'm getting weird glitches or artefacts in my media.

Redownloading the same file and NOT moving it to my NAS, the file itself is fine.

Once it's in my nas, it'll get glitchy. VLC, Windows, MacOS, all experience the same issue. Old files on the NAS don't have the issue.

I'm assuming my raid1 setup is decaying or writing data to bad sectors or something? It only started happening after freeing up a bunch of space by deleting a swathe of MP3s.

Smart status on both disks is fine, but they're pretty crunchy.

I did ask in the NAS thread but they didn't respond.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there any way to tell Plex to select AC3/EAC3 5.1 as the preferred audio track?

and not sure if it was answered earlier but the Audio Boost for stereo setups is still there. Its in the settings menu on the client, under Audio > Volume Boost. its a bit vague but if you look at the same setting on the web interface for your server or PC it will tell you its for boosting audio when down mixing to stereo.

I went with Small and it seems appropriate.

my server version is 3.89.2 (on a readyNAS RN204) and my TV is running Plex for LG 3.88.0

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive been chasing a weird issue for a few weeks now and I figured Id share the resolution.

i had a bunch of HEVC 4k/HDR stuff that I downloaded to play on new OLED TV. all of them worked fine, until about 3 weeks ago. New movies I had acquired did not play, and eventually errored out with a H4 codec error on my TVS built in Plex app.

going back and attempting to play known working files that I had played previously also gave the same error.

long story short, I found someone on plex forums who had a similar issue and resolved by running multiplexer in MKVToolNix GUI. not changing anything, just running the multiplexer. This did fix my issue.

So not satisfied with the idea of having to run this every time I download a new movie (and getting 50GB rips meaning it would be a few hours for each one to process) I looked into why this fixed it.

its one of two things. Its either changing the 'date modified' on the file (as it creates a new file) or its because it renames the file slightly (by default, adding a (x) to the end, where X is the copy number.

I also went and renamed files that contained () characters as most of the culprits were specifying 10bit in the file name, and that seems to have fixed the issue without multiplexing the file.

So I went and told Sonarr to not put the movies release year in parentheses any more and that should fix the problem moving forward.

so where do I go to submit the bug?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mammal Sauce posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to look for to fix an issue?

I am a fairly basic Plex user. I basically load my movies/TV shows into their respective folders, scan with Plex, and watch them on one of our four Roku devices. I haven't changed any settings from the defaults.

The problem is there's a handful of titles that will work on the Roku TVs but when you try to play them on one of the two Express equipped TVs, it shows the still image while loading like normal and then the screen goes black and only the audio plays.

It seems odd that the Expresses are about 3 years newer than one of the Roku TVs, yet they're the ones with issues.

sometimes stuff like this is a codec problem, in that the codec is supported but maybe not the resolution/framerate that the video is encoded in.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Try removing the parentheses from the folder name because as i mentioned up thread that was loving me over after a recent update to either server or player and that was the only thing that fixed it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bobulus posted:

So I'm not sure how this works. Does a player player (like, say, an app on a tv) have to have coded knowledge of a codec, or how does that work? I put some videos on my plex that were only 1080p and shouldn't have needed transcoding, but the plex transcoder was capping out my underpowered plex server when I tried to play the videos. My only guess is that it used HEVC and my tv's plex hasn't been updated in a while.

the player tells the server what the hardware its running on is capable of decoding natively and the server then decides to direct feed it or transcode.

the software on the player itself being up to date shouldnt have much to do with it as it just acts as a conduit for whatever the server is sending, i believe.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, in general HEVC has limited support on players, and a big penalty on transcode cpu load.

I spent an unnecessary amount of time trying to figure out why my Apple TV 4th Gen wasnt capable of playing episodes of a show that Sonarr had grabbed for me only to realise after checking the download history in SABNZBD showed that I had grabbed the h265 version, instead of h264

but thankfully I could add h265 to the ignored list.

I now have a LG b8 that plays them fine, which is awesome.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nairbo posted:

Was that color mapping issue on the Shield TV client ever fixed? I'm getting an LG OLED TV in the next few weeks and wondering if I should bother installing the Plex client on Web OS or just stick with my Shield. It's my understanding that the Plex WebOS app is fine but doesn't directplay as much as the Shield but that the Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime apps are better on Web OS itself but correct me if I'm wrong.

I have an LG OLED and a variety of file types on my plex server and it has not failed to play a single file via direct play. my server is not fast enough to transcode so I would know.

it plays HEVC/h265 content without a problem.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TigerXtrm posted:

Here I was, spending a good hour or three organizing my movies and assigning them to proper collections in the right orders etc. Finding good posters.

Then I thought "you know, I should reorganize this on a file level as well" so I moved movies into their own folder, and lice concerts into their own folder, live comedy shows into their own folder. And then I refreshed the movie library.

Save to say Plex can now go gently caress itself for the time being.

The idea is sorta that you don't have to organise at a file level since you really only ever use that UI on a computer.

I succumbed to letting sonarr/radarr rename and sort stuff and anything that doesn't fit just gets dumped in the appropriate folder for Plex to sort out.

It's not like anyone is sneaker-netting my movies any more so the backend can be messy since the front end is all I see.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how does transcoding from h264 to 265 go in terms of quality?

if i have some high quality rips of stuff and i just want to reduce the file size, will 265 do that and not impact the quality too much?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Atomizer posted:

I use HEVC because of quality and file size, but this is going to depend on your sources (are these SD, FHD, UHD, etc.?) and your server's transcoding ability. FHD or lesser video should be easy to transcode for almost any decent modern CPU (basically anything that's not an Atom or low-end old AMD CPU) and you can use hardware encoding via QuickSync, NVENC, or whatever AMD's stuff is called.

For reference, I have mostly DVD-quality content transcoded to HEVC and it works great for my setup. My limited FHD video is mostly AVC from BRDs.

I forgot to mention this, but I transcoded some of my HD/FHD AVC files to HEVC, dropping the resolution a bit in the process; this was mostly for either some movies that I had to get in higher quality than it needs to be but I also reprocessed some sports games that don't need all those audio tracks and won't be watched in full so don't need to be in their original quality. The initial transcodes took a long time as expected, but the resultant files are of excellent quality and the server seems to be able to transcode as necessary, and I saved tens of GB of space. Those games were like around 3 hours each and the files were roughly 30-40 GB, but were only HD (720p) surprisingly and had 6 audio streams (national broadcast, home/away radio, but two of each for some reason?) They got chopped down to like <10 GB each, which is quite satisfactory considering I'm not going to watch them in full but might want to skip around for the highlights at some point in the future.

HEVC (h.265) has better (more sophisticated) compression than AVC (h.264) so it has better quality at lower file sizes, at the cost of increased CPU overhead. As I wrote above if you transcoded from AVC to HEVC you would likely realize file size savings while maintaining the original quality, but it may take a long time to do the initial transcode, depending on your hardware and exactly how high-res the original files are. After that, the concern is as above, whether or not your CPU can handle transcoding the new HEVC files on-demend via Plex.

My TV is HEVC native so theres no overhead to transcode for it, but yeah my Plex Server is not capable of transcoding it (ReadyNAS RN204) for playback.

my PC is a 2011 iMac so its probably not fantastic at the actual transcoding either, so I might just wait til I upgrade one or the other before embarking on voyage.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Plex decided the other night to attempt to hardcode chinese subs into my TV episode despite me having already told it to never play subs by default. since I run plex off a lovely nas, it was trying to transcode with the subs in there which made playback not work.

I never want subs on unless the scene has other languages in it and then I only want english subs. how do i tell Plex to do that? because that setting doesnt seem to exist or doesnt work.

for reference i only watch english films/tv, specifically have configured sonarr/radarr to avoid foreign/dubs too. literally the only time subs should work, in theory, is when someone starts talking in russian, but its always a lucky dip as to how playback of a file with subs actually goes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there a handbrake/post process thing i could incorporate to automate this somehow?

i get that its not a *huge* issue, but considering it totally crippled the system to the point i had to restart the plex client so I could re-launch the episode after configuring the playback options, its something I'd like to avoid happening in the future.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dren posted:

handbrake has an option to scan the subtitle tracks for ones that only show up a small percentage of the time, then burn those in. the assumption being that those are the ones for like the 20s of foreign language dialogue in an otherwise english film. it’s mostly correct, i think i had one movie where it picked up some weird sub track that would occasionally pop up with sound effect names.

you could run that on your whole library and drop all other subtitles. it would be a lot of transcoding but all your files would play great in plex.

my plex player supports everything up to h.265 stuff so transcoding isnt really worth the electricity. is there a batch script or similar I could run using that other mkv tool to drop subtitles besides required english?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there any way to gently caress off the side bar on the client side? I dont have heaps of content and my poo poo is automated that any new eps from what im watching or new films are in the 'recently added' section. I dont need the sidebar at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

teagone posted:

There is. Which app are you using?

Plex on my LG TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So the latest version of PMS for my netgear readyNAS has borked the install and it wont start.

anyone else had this happen and got a fix?