Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Hell yes, right as I'm trying to setup a music system that's not always connected to the internet. Fantastic timing and I can't wait to play with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
It hasn't been extremely fantastic for me either but I blamed it on the fact most of my music is super duper old and ripped using whatever random programs I have used over the years.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I use Plex on a Roku 3 and it works out great. The interface isn't the absolute best ever but it works flawlessly. I've never once had audio or video skip/stutter/etc even over wireless. I'm super happy with it and thinking about picking up another Roku at some point to replace a laptop I'm using as a Plex device in another room.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've seen this mentioned in the Plex forums but wanted some goon opinions.

Is there an easy way to actually disable remote access? I have it setup and it works great, but I decided to disable it last night and realized even after clicking "disable" on the server options screen, I was still able to access it just fine with IP:port/web and was able to change anything and everything. The only way I could full on disable it was to disable the port forwarding I've got setup on my router. The reason I want to do this is so someone with a little knowledge doesn't go in and jack with my setup on accident/purpose.

It's not a really really big deal but I'm just confused what it's actually disabling if I can still get in there fine. I don't have a plex pass so I'm not able to (as far as I know) mess with any user permissions so I'm at a loss.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I was just lazy and using the browser interface on my remotes (and one Roku) but using the client itself obviously solves that problem. Thanks for all the great info!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

porkface posted:

I'm curious (legitimately) what everyone is downloading/watching that Plex can't find matches. I get all kinds of odd filenames and everything matches out of the box, except for the occasional lesser known, or hot of the presses sporting event.

I've thrown some pretty wild stuff at it, even horrible 90s rips of 90s shows and the only thing I've had it stumble on are oddly named cds from those random "ESSENCE OF ROCK" or "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 14" type music cds.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm sure this has question has came up at some point but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Simply put, what would happen if Plex shut their doors right now? As in, say I've got a simple server setup, 3 devices at my house that hit it locally, and 2 devices outside my network that hit it remotely. What would work and what would be broken?

I'm a big fan of setting up things that are as self sufficient as possible and would love to at least be prepared if something wild were to happen. Just thinking about it has me seriously wanting to switch to something more self sufficient like Kodi or what not.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Good deal! I don't think I've ever messed with Plex when my internet is down so I had no clue if it would explode or not even matter. Thanks!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm pretty drat spergy and anal about my files (personal/tax stuff, pics, music, movies/tv shows, etc) and I've amassed a monster collection over the years but I still don't hand a candle to that dude. I can't even imagine what it would be like to house 30++ active drives. I could almost do this now if I wanted to myself but man, the electricity factor alone is such a huge turn off to me it's not even funny. Even if the guy has a huge house and it's no big deal turning a spare bedroom into a server closet, that's still super wasteful in my opinion.

I've been running Plex for a good year+ at this point, and I'm just now getting my friends/family added so they can access my library from anywhere. My older brother said this was really badass, and the only way it would be perfect is if it could do music too. As you can guess, when I gave him the good news there he was basically flipping out. And for the record, the first clip every played remotely from my Plex server was the American Gladiators intro flv ripped from youtube eons ago.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Irritated Goat posted:

How would you even list that in Plex? Lord knows TVDB doesn't do odd stuff like sports and one off videos.

I didn't know this was possible either until I reformatted my computer about a week ago and was installing everything from scratch, and I happened to notice "home videos" when I was adding in my library paths.

"Home Videos" is basically their version of Miscellaneous and so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it. You can even sort them into groups by using the episode formatting/folder structure.

(cropped it to hide my embarrassingly stupid miscellaneous videos)

It's kind of fun choosing from the 3 random posters generated randomly for these too.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
We use a Roku 3, PS3, and an HTPC (they all rhyme!) for Plex. They've all got their pros/cons, but without a doubt the Roku is the easiest interface to work with in my opinion. The HTPC and PS3 look nicer, but my wife or guests never ever have to ask how to do anything on the Roku and that is worth its weight in gold 10x over.

There's a hidden menu in the Roku that lets you turn off some setting that amounts to "get a reply back from the internet before you connect" for Plex, because otherwise when the internet is down it may not let Plex access my local content (rarplex or whatever it's named, drawing a blank, worked fine though). Other than that Plex is a total pleasure on the Roku. It worked perfectly on 802.11g and now that I've finallllly replaced my router that supports N it's just that much better.

Here's how: http://www.letstalk-tech.com/roku-error-014-connect-roku-3-wi-fi-network/

The button combo you enter in to access the menu is so weird I thought I was being trolled, but nope up the menu came.

-- And since I hate following weird links too, here's a pic:

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 12, 2016