Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

teagone posted:

If you intend on streaming Full HD 1080p media, the PC/Mac/NAS you plan on using will need to have moderate specs as Plex transcodes your media on the fly, which requires a decent processor to take on that kind of load. If your machine was built or bought in the last 5 years or so, it should be fine. Generally, I'd recommend nothing less than a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM for your Plex Media Server. If you install the Server on a low-powered Mac/PC/NAS device, you might notice stuttering (stop-start) playback on some or all the Apps. This is most commonly due to the CPU not being powerful enough to handle the transcoding requirements or to the number of Apps connecting to the Server at once. Some NAS devices might be so low-powered that Server transcoding is specifically disabled.

It's worth mentioning that if you're throwing media to other PCs in your house, you'll be able to direct play instead of transcode.

My Plex server is netbook level gear but can still direct play two giant 1080p MKVs to two separate computers in my house with no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Stick100 posted:

There is no official word on HBOGo for Fire TV. Amazon says they are working on it but I believe HBO hasn't said a word yet. Is there an HBOGo Plex channel that could be a work around.

You can sideload the android apk of HBO GO onto the Fire TV as long as you have a mouse (or maybe a controller?) to control it. You can do the same thing with Firefox/Flash.

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2703716

I plugged my Logitech Unifying Reciever into the USB and it saw my Wireless Trackball m570/Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 no problem.

Roundboy posted:

I have to say the roku is winning out for me due to the channel content for kids. If fireTV a\had even a fraction of it i would switch. Provided there looks to be long term support and updates.

Kindle Freetime is coming next month :)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 23, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TraderStav posted:

Amazon and HBO announced today that Prime video is getting HBO shows. I don't know if that includes current runs or just completed seasons.

quote:

Amazon.com, Inc. today announced a content licensing agreement with HBO, making Prime Instant Video the exclusive online-only subscription home for select HBO programming. The collection includes award-winning shows such as The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Big Love, Deadwood, Eastbound & Down, Family Tree, Enlightened, Treme, early seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, as well as mini-series like Band of Brothers, John Adams and more. Previous seasons of other HBO shows, such as Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will become available over the course of the multi-year agreement, approximately three years after airing on HBO. The first wave of content will arrive on Prime Instant Video May 21. This is the first time that HBO programming has been licensed to an online-only subscription streaming service. This programming will remain on all HBO platforms.

In addition, HBO GO will become available on Fire TV, targeting a launch by year-end. HBO GO is HBO’s authenticated streaming service offering subscribers instant access to over 1,700 titles online including every episode of new and classic HBO series, as well as HBO original films, miniseries, sports, documentaries, specials and a wide selection of blockbuster movies.

Beginning May 21, Amazon Prime members will have unlimited streaming access to:
• All seasons of revered classics such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, and of recent favorites such as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords
• Epic miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End
• Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood
• Hit original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack
• Pedigreed documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke
• Hilarious original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CFox posted:

I'm having a plex related problem I'm hoping you guys can help with.

For the last year or so I've been using plex on my Roku LT. It's been fine for the most part but I've run into a problem I can't get fixed. We've moved and right now don't have an internet connection besides our phones and when we do get internet it probably won't be very reliable. The issue is that the newer updates of roku seem to always want internet access and if it doesn't it'll just drop off the wifi network and obviously plex won't work then. I've been able to get internet access for roku's initial login to get everything connected and plex will work fine but sometime after I shut off internet access (while still leaving the wireless network up of course) roku will drop the network and won't reconnect without establishing a connection to the internet.

So now I'm looking an alternate way of getting plex onto the tv without internet access (besides the initial setup). Wireless would be preferred but wired is also an option. I just can't run an HDMI cord from computer directly since loving windows can't play separate audio steams to different devices and I'd like to able to play a game with sound while my wife watches shows. Is Fire TV an option here? We'd both really like something with a remote.

You could sideload XBMC and the add-on PleXBMC on to the Fire TV. I know people at XDA have been blocking updates direct from Amazon's server with no real issue.