Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

I can't get Plex to pull down info for this series from the TVDB - it's just Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3 etc. As far as I can tell the file and naming structure is fine, and there's no metadata in the files muddying the waters. Where am I going wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Got it - a quick library refresh sorted it out. Thanks!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Idly curious - is the one-time unlock for the full Android app tied to your Google account, or your plex.tv account?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

As the unlocks are processed through the host device's purchase system (Appstore, Market, Roku, whatever) it's locked to your account for that service.

If you buy Pass, it's tied to your Plex account since you just log in with your credentials and bypass the in-app purchase completely.

Plain vanilla Google Play version; I've got some Play credit burning a hole in my pocket. Only reason I ask is it's never clear whether an IAP unlock like this is licensed to the service account (i.e. my Google account) or the device, or some other means of weaselling around the 'one time' qualifier.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kodi boxes are this generation's chipped consoles, only instead of appearing in the adspace of gaming mags they're dropshipped Chinese garbage advertised on Facebook

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm actually done already! :)

Now what is recommended for handling all the "extra" stuff? Like the Beavis and Butthead Thanksgiving special, Mike Judge on Howard Stern TV, stuff like that? They all have random file names (like w3u89zjkserfj.mp4). I really don't care about them being listed properly or with metadata in Plex, but how in Plex can I go to Beavis and Butthead, click on specials, and choose to play w3u89zjkserfj.mp4? Is there any way to do such a thing?

Dump them into a folder called 'Specials' or 'Extras' inside \Beavis and Butt-Head.

I'd spend an hour or so getting the files renamed per the TVDB listings via FileBot anyway, as you're probably going to change the metadata within Plex anyway (unless you're absolutely certain what kzzerfgsdertyrty.mp4 refers to).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I use Emby instead of Plex, but this should still work: for situations where I've ripped DVD extras that aren't in the TVDB, I usually name the files s00e101, s00e102 etc. You can then use s00e1xx for series 1 extras, s00e2xx for series 2 extras, and so on. You'll have to add your own metadata, of course, but the filename helps as a starting point for what belongs with which group of videos.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

equation groupie posted:

Anyone using Plex as their main music player? Curious how you manage it. Especially interested if anyone can suggest a way to edit metadata tags and rename files accordingly. I am coming from integrated library managers (iTunes/Apple Music), and I liked how tagging and renaming happened for me automatically.

For my initial music import, I bought AudioRanger, which worked well for initial metadata clean up, but seems designed to do that one time and never change it, not to update/maintain metadata/renaming after that first import. It also considers my library too big to load into memory all at once - I don't think my library is that big, all things considered - something like 130GB, and 30+GB of that is music videos.

I'm not really a fan of applications that scan your music, match it against something, and then tag/rename/re-order automatically; I got fed up with beets either being weirdly inaccurate (e.g. getting stuck on Various Artists, matching some of my stuff to Japanese releases or cassette/LP releases), or being hyper-technically accurate (e.g. messing around with release years because TECHNICALLY the CD is a 2003 re-release of an identical 1992 album), neither of which felt right.

So, last year I spent a long weekend re-ripping everything to FLAC and collating my old Google Play Music & Amazon MP3s, and then used TagScanner to get everything 'just so'. It'll pull down information from MusicBrainz if you like, but it's a Swiss army knife when it comes to generating & applying tags itself - point it at a big messy working directory and it'll generate tags from the filename & directory structure, then rename/reorganise everything elsewhere into a single, consistent structure ideal for Plex (Jellyfin, Emby, Airsonic, Navidrome...).

YMMV of course, I'm just particular about my music tags :)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll vouch for the imaginatively-named Rename My TV Series v2 - it's cross-platform, completely free of charge, and will both rename files and sort them into folders if you want.

I like that it's a 'this is everything the TVDB knows about this series, now go match the files you have against them' sort of thing, rather than an a hands-off fire-and-forget scanner, as it's helpful for awkwardly-named DVD extras. It's a little finicky when dealing with multiple episodes - the old s01e01e02e03 business - but overall it's a really, really useful bit of software.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

Until something materially changes there isn’t much point in Cassandra-ing imo.

On the other hand, knowingly and deliberately turning away from 'streaming poo poo YOU own from YOUR hardware' to 'streaming poo poo WE licence from OUR corporate partners from THEIR data centres', to the point where ad-supported streams now account for 'much of its revenue growth', seems like a fundamental material change to their business model to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

Can someone give me a semi basic overview of the IPTV ecosystem as it pertains to Plex/Emby/etc? I have an antenna and tuner and was able to use Plex’s m3u list to grab a channel lineup and schedule for a bunch of OTA stuff, but I retain the childish dream of being able to watch Jeopardy in any number of languages, or bizarre sports from Finland.

Is there a system to do that legally? Like some federation of OTA channels that are easy to import and somehow stream? Can you use Plex as a DVR for more traditional IPTV like Fubo or whatever? Is that the primary use case?

Not asking :filez: , I’m more just trying to understand the context and culture because everything I’ve read assumes I already know what it is or is a Wikipedia article that assumes I’m an electrical engineer.

My understanding is that the whole 'live broadcast TV on computer' thing is an absolute mess of rights issues, and thus money issues, and therefore anybody making an idiot-proof (figure of speech) way around any of this is going to be strung up from a lamppost by media-conglomerate lawyers. Which is why, every eight months or so, I think 'TV in my Jellyfin? - what a grand idea', then instead give it up as a stupid idea after running into the same issues you have.