Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress Japan?
A continual narrowing of the anime/game/whatever market around an ever smaller and ever more bizarre fan base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't get enough dangan ronpa

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Archonex posted:

I think the most impressive thing about this game is that there was a first game, and it sold well enough to justify a sequel.

Well either that, or someone is a serious "classmating" enthusiast and wanted a sequel out. :stonk:

Seriously, what the gently caress Japan?

If you dont like the game get out of the thread.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

I like how we can't have a thread about this game without autistic idiots making GBS threads all over it. Some people want to actually discuss this and you are NOT helping the conversation with your stupid bullshit.

edit: The "I like" is sarcastic, fyi.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Minesweep posted:

I like how we can't have a thread about this game without autistic idiots making GBS threads all over it. Some people want to actually discuss this and you are NOT helping the conversation with your stupid bullshit.

edit: The "I like" is sarcastic, fyi.

Wow. :ironicat:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
We have entered an endless recursion of irony

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Here is a screenshot of one of the star children you can have

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Here is a screenshot of one of the star children you can have

gently caress it, i'd buy that game.

Also, his post is funny since I got this title from an autistic sperg who couldn't shut up about his precious video games.

Samurai Sanders posted:

A continual narrowing of the anime/game/whatever market around an ever smaller and ever more bizarre fan base.

This is genuinely interesting to me. What caused this? I remember older games from when I was growing up, like Wild Arms, which was a bit anime, but nothing like this. Come to think of it, I haven't seen games like that being prevalent on the market for awhile now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 1, 2014

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Gonna go hard mode with my first playthrough.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I can't decide if I actually want to try this game or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Archonex posted:

This is genuinely interesting to me. What caused this? I remember older games from when I was growing up, like Wild Arms, which was a bit anime, but nothing like this.
Weird games like this existed back then, too, they were just far less likely to actually leave Japan.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
is this a prequel to Yoshi's Island DS?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's hard to take dungeon crawling seriously in this game when you have waifu + 9 star childen all spazzing the gently caress out around you at every second. Even if you stand still they still are all twitching the gently caress out and running all over the place at each instant.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I'm so sorry that this thread exists :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

This is genuinely interesting to me. What caused this? I remember older games from when I was growing up, like Wild Arms, which was a bit anime, but nothing like this. Come to think of it, I haven't seen games like that being prevalent on the market for awhile now.
The way I heard it, for various economic and other reasons, Japanese are drifting away from traditional console games to either nothing, or smartphone/browser games. The ones who stay on are becoming increasingly focused on the weird side of things, like this game, and the game industry is responding by catering to them rather than trying to get the market they are losing back.

edit: either that or contorting themselves chasing some supposed "global market" that either doesn't exist or they don't understand, which resulted in things like the whole FF13 series.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 1, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And thank god for that.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
I just want everyone whose played this game to know: you're going to burn in the seventh circle of hell.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

forbidden lesbian posted:

All seven of Conception II’s heroines have their own personality traits and quirks, which you will have to learn if you want to engage in a relationship with them. The better your relationship is with your female classmates the more powerful your Star Children will become. I'm not making this stuff up. Here is a full list of character bios for each girl.

Chloe is the older sister of your new friend Chlotz, and only a year older than your character. Her abilities are so exceptional that she works as an instructor at the Academy. Chloe uses a Remote Turret to perforate her opponents.

Ellie is a first-year student who's very energetic and often cheers on those around her. Though she looks cute and young, she's very mature and perceptive. Ellie uses a magical staff called a Summoning Gun to dish out serious magic damage.

Feene is an earnest, polite third-year student. She is considered one of the strongest Disciples, and has already seen action on the front lines. Her formidable Gunblade has seen its fair share of battles as well.

Fuuko is the first female student that you'll meet. She is bright and amicable, and quick to make friends. She sees herself as a very down-to-earth kind of person. Fuuko uses her Dual Pistols in dungeons with deadly accuracy.

Narika is the vice representative of your class. She is shy and reserved, without much self-confidence, but has a good heart and is very kind to others. Her Bowgun speaks differently about her - it packs a huge punch to monsters.

Despite Serina's diminutive size, she is actually a third-year Disciple with incredible power. She has a good heart, but often tries to keep her true feelings hidden. Her Kick Gun is an incredible hybrid of fashion-forward footwear and death-dealing.

As a result of being raised in a research facility, Torri is very naïve about the outside world and usually believes anything she's told. Torri materializes a powerful gatling gun to obliterate anything in her path.

Sound fun? Check it out now!

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I'm already in the 2nd circle of hell, I can never touch my anime waifus :smith:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm looking forward to the inevitable LP of this monstrosity.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

All seven of Conception II’s heroines have their own personality traits and quirks, which you will have to learn if you want to engage in a relationship with them. The better your relationship is with your female classmates the more powerful your Star Children will become. I'm not making this stuff up. Here is a full list of character bios for each girl.

Chloe is the older sister of your new friend Chlotz, and only a year older than your character. Her abilities are so exceptional that she works as an instructor at the Academy. Chloe uses a Remote Turret to perforate her opponents.

Ellie is a first-year student who's very energetic and often cheers on those around her. Though she looks cute and young, she's very mature and perceptive. Ellie uses a magical staff called a Summoning Gun to dish out serious magic damage.

Feene is an earnest, polite third-year student. She is considered one of the strongest Disciples, and has already seen action on the front lines. Her formidable Gunblade has seen its fair share of battles as well.

Fuuko is the first female student that you'll meet. She is bright and amicable, and quick to make friends. She sees herself as a very down-to-earth kind of person. Fuuko uses her Dual Pistols in dungeons with deadly accuracy.

Narika is the vice representative of your class. She is shy and reserved, without much self-confidence, but has a good heart and is very kind to others. Her Bowgun speaks differently about her - it packs a huge punch to monsters.

Despite Serina's diminutive size, she is actually a third-year Disciple with incredible power. She has a good heart, but often tries to keep her true feelings hidden. Her Kick Gun is an incredible hybrid of fashion-forward footwear and death-dealing.

As a result of being raised in a research facility, Torri is very naïve about the outside world and usually believes anything she's told. Torri materializes a powerful gatling gun to obliterate anything in her path.

Awful lot of "mature for her age" descriptions... So what's the over/under for watchlist placement for downloading the game?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Atlus are getting desperate

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
tanks op, gonna buy game make bi g sex times with babes heck yes

edit can i make anime babes eat cake
this is important to me

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 1, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
No see she's not a kid,

she is actually a third-year Disciple
so it's okay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tarranon posted:

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

[img=Bison laugh.gif]

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

All I know about this game is from an article where both the developer and Atlus USA argued that this is a totally progressive game and is not in any way promoting sexism or eugenics.

JRPG players are all about sexism and eugenics, see the Fire Emblem: Awakening thread for example

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Megalixir posted:

Atlus are getting desperate

AtlusUSA is the localizer, Spike Chunsoft is the developer. They operate somewhat independently of Atlus. The Japanese company gets all the profits from the shares.

So I figured out in the demo that all it takes to get 3 new hearts you just have to enter and exit a dungeon. I actually hit a cap on the demo relationships. It's artificially capped at a point where you have to give the girl a present. You do get repeatable options that allow you to gain more bonding points, which makes the dialog choices seem almost trivial. Gotta min/max my star babies.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, I tried this out due to morbid curiosity, and I got to the part in the demo where they suddenly magical-girl transform before fighting, and my eyes rolled into the back of my head.

If it wasn't for LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE this game's biggest offense would be that its so by the numbers its disgusting.

It's really too bad the game has such a nice UI and solid battle system. But I could barely get to it because nobody would shut up about all the loving frontloaded exposition and I got bored.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Dehry posted:

AtlusUSA is the localizer, Spike Chunsoft is the developer. They operate somewhat independently of Atlus. The Japanese company gets all the profits from the shares.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Atlus localize oddball games as filler all the time, in between things like Megaten/Persona and making sure Europe never sees SMT4. Localizations aren't free, unless Spike Chunsoft have a western division, Atlus are definitely making a profit out of localizing (otherwise there would be no point to begin with).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, what you do is literally called "classmating"? What is it called in Japanese? And I assume it's some kind of magical poo poo that totally isn't just having sex and is clean and pure and they spend 30 minutes of in-game time explaining that.

edit: at least that part of it I've seen before, in a Japanese PSP game called Oreshika. A family gets cursed by a demon and can't conceive children the normal way anymore, so regrettably they start having magic sex with gods instead. The gods take money for their services though so they're basically prostitute gods.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 1, 2014

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

This game is seriously ten times skeevier than Dragon's Crown to me but seems to be getting a tiny fraction as much blowback. I'm baffled, really.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CrashCat posted:

This game is seriously ten times skeevier than Dragon's Crown to me but seems to be getting a tiny fraction as much blowback. I'm baffled, really.

Because with Dragon's Crown, people could at least try to excuse it. "Yeah, the Sorceror has giant floppy boobs the size of her head, but, you know, fantasy or whatever, and at least the game is fun". Conception doesn't even try not to be the skeeviest thing on the planet. There's no room for debate. Somebody says "This game is creepy as hell" and everybody goes "Yeah, that's definitely true."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Look, if anything this game can teach us a lot about how selective breeding is the only way that that humankind can prevent freaks and subhumans from polluting the japanese Aryan gene pool. Heil Hitler.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
do they sell pillows of these girls :))))

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

CrashCat posted:

Because if you actually played the demo you'd realize it's just a PG rated mediocre Persona clone.

Honestly if you guys want to tumblr shitpost I suggest the Etrian Odyssey thread, that game is nothing but lolicon art and creepy 10 year old characters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
if i invoke the dreaded tumblr, maybe they wont be mean to my mature little girl class-mating game

edit:

quit being so tumblr about this god

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 1, 2014

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Once again, haters please leave. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

iuvian posted:

Because if you actually played the demo you'd realize it's just a PG rated mediocre Persona clone.

I'd go more for a PG13 rating, but literally everything you see in the game has been done a billion times in anime and is almost expected. ADTRW wouldn't even bat an eye at anything going on in there.

• Locked thread