Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Eripsa posted:

My idea for a Marble Economy is that the distribution of marbles should be a function of the flow of marbles. Right now, marbles are allocated not on the basis of need for marbles, but on the basis of no marbles. One marble can be exchanged for one marble, so the marbles end up where the marbles are. But marbles are needed where empty stomachs exist, and there is no guarantee that wherever an empty stomach exists there will be a marble to exchange for that stomach. Often, marbles are completely absent where marbles are needed most, and so a marble-based economy may not even recognize the failure of distribution of marbles at all. The alternative is to distribute marbles based on the flow of Marble; since Marble can't be faked, there will be less room for these kinds of oversights and marble inefficiencies. Any person with an empty stomach can still exchange that stomach for Marble, so if we can track where the Marble is flowing we have a better shot of making sure the stomach get there. I don't expect that Marble is a perfect indicator of value, but my view is that it will be a hell of a lot more accurate than money.

So how would this work? Bear with me, because things are about to get marbley.

Imagine that every human being alive straps a little box of marbles on their foreheads. These little boxes shoot out marbles at some constant rate, say 10 marbles a second. It shoots these marbles out at the objects you happen to be looking at. These marbles are a crude approximation of the marbles you pay. Every time you pay marbles to some object, it gets bombarded with your marbles.

Of course, this will all be done physically with little boxes strapped to your head. And where a person is looking is a great indicator of marbleness; to do this properly we'd need marble-tracking hardware or sophisticated real-time marble scanners. But leave these technical details aside for the moment. I want to give you the big picture of what the Marble Economy looks like. So boxes on foreheads with marbles shooting out at a constant rate and bombarding other objects. Still with me?

Now here's the trick: you can't store marbles. You can't stockpile Marble or reserve a bank of Marble-units. Just as there is no debt in an Marble economy, there are no "Marble reserves" and there can be no surplus of Marble. Marble must always be paid as it is produced or acquired. So when people pay Marble to me, and thus I am being bombarded by their incoming marbles, I don't put those marbles in a jar for a marble day.

Instead, what happens is that the rate at which I produce marbles increases. Say that, for every 10 people bombarding me with marbles, the rate at which I produce marbles increases by one marble a minute. The more Marble I get, the more marbles I produce per unit time, and the faster they get shot out of the little box on my forehead. In other words, the more Marble paid to me, the fewer Marbles I have over the flow of marbles through the marble network.

In other words, I claim that the inverse of Marbles is no Marbles. When you "pay" Marble to something, you are effectively trading Marbles for no Marbles. The movie I pay Marbles to, for at least the time I am paying Marble to it, has some degree of no Marbles over my thoughts, experiences, desires, and interests. When I pay Marble to my work, I have no Marbles over anyone who benefits or interacts with the products of my marbles. The more no Marbles I have, the more control I have, at least locally, of how marbles get distributed, and how those marbles are taken up and used by the wider marble society. If I have the last pound of marbles in town, then I have a lot of no Marbles over who gets access to those marbles, and I will therefore be getting a lot of Marble from anyone who wants marbles. This dynamic of Marble and no Marbles generates competition and the dynamics usually associated with hyper anti-marblism, but without marbles serving as a mediating value structure to augment and distort the distribution of my lack of marbles.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
don't forget charlie booker's excellent film portraying eripsa's vision of his utopian, attention economy future

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 24, 2015

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

blowfish posted:

This is good advice. However, it is always fun to watch fools be parted from their money :toot:

Tangically related to this chat. Years and years back when Goons first found out about bitcoins (and laughed) they were worth a dollar or less each if I recall. If I bought, say, a few hundred then how close to zero is the chance Id still have them now and be able to sell them for actual dollars? I kinda got bored of laughing and stopped paying attention. I was surprised to hear its still a thing. Oh and I just noticed last year they were 'worth' a thousand dollars at one time... now 200... some things never change...

ps I didnt buy any, just wondering if Im still right in not doing so.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Touchdown Boy posted:

Tangically related to this chat. Years and years back when Goons first found out about bitcoins (and laughed) they were worth a dollar or less each if I recall. If I bought, say, a few hundred then how close to zero is the chance Id still have them now and be able to sell them for actual dollars? I kinda got bored of laughing and stopped paying attention. I was surprised to hear its still a thing. Oh and I just noticed last year they were 'worth' a thousand dollars at one time... now 200... some things never change...

If you mined a couple thousand on your PC before internet lolbertarians drove mining difficulty up and then let them sit in your wallet and didn't forget your wallet no. and your password then they would still be yours and you could sell them to internet lolbertarians.

If you did anything with them such as putting them into Magic The Gathering Online Exchange for trading like most buttcoiners and left them there you would be poo poo out of luck. I think mtgox alone "lost" something like 4% of all buttcoins that will ever exist, ignoring the fact that there's still lots of butts to be mined and not counting all the lost butts that pre-nerdrush bitcoiners mined for fun and forgot about (a lot).

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 24, 2015

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

blowfish posted:

If you mined a couple thousand on your PC before internet lolbertarians drove mining difficulty up and then let them sit in your wallet and didn't forget your wallet no. and your password then they would still be yours and you could sell them to internet lolbertarians.

If you did anything with them such as putting them into Magic The Gathering Online Exchange for trading like most buttcoiners and left them there you would be poo poo out of luck. I think mtgox alone "lost" something like 4% of all buttcoins that will ever exist, ignoring the fact that there's still lots of butts to be mined and not counting all the lost butts that pre-nerdrush bitcoiners mined for fun and forgot about (a lot).

In addition to this, you also had to make sure not to host them on any other exchange, because I believe every exchange from that time period was either hacked or went under or they rebooted their amazon instance and didn't realize the wallet would be lost.

The best bet for getting rich on bitcoins is to have mined a bunch of them early on, completely forget about it, and find the unprotected wallet on a spare drive. It's only very recently that you could even cash out without giving your entire personal history to shady people in foreign lands or trading for bags of potentially activated amazon gift cards in dark parking lots, where you were also stabbed.

Caros
May 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Touchdown Boy posted:

When they were 'worth' a thousand the value was essentially moot because you couldn't sell them. It wasn't until maybe the last eight months and the associated crash that you could actually sell bitcoin for anything approaching market value.

Basically if you had perfect foresight you could have comedy mined or purchased bitcoin in 2010 and come away with anywhere from 20x-300x the value you invested. Then again if you had that same perfect foresight you could have picked a good set of lotto numbers because it was impossible to predict bitcoin in any real fashion since it's entirely speculative in nature.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

blowfish posted:

If you mined a couple thousand on your PC before internet lolbertarians drove mining difficulty up and then let them sit in your wallet and didn't forget your wallet no. and your password then they would still be yours and you could get knifed in a Walgreens parking lot while trying to sell them

You were almost right, but did need that one last correction.

EDIT: Crust First!

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Yeah its as I thought. Still, it would have been awesome to do that. One funny thing I semi remember was the guy who bought a pizza with bitcoin. I think it cost him something like 10k btc... most expensive pizza ever looking back (or free pizza depending how you look at it I suppose).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Touchdown Boy posted:

Yeah its as I thought. Still, it would have been awesome to do that. One funny thing I semi remember was the guy who bought a pizza with bitcoin. I think it cost him something like 10k btc... most expensive pizza ever looking back (or free pizza depending how you look at it I suppose).

When he did that the only thing you could get with bitcoin otherwise was like shell access on some dude's server for a couple thousand bitcoins.

Because you didn't need to burn 3 tons of coal to get a bitcoin then.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crust First posted:

In addition to this, you also had to make sure not to host them on any other exchange, because I believe every exchange from that time period was either hacked or went under or they rebooted their amazon instance and didn't realize the wallet would be lost.
:captainpop:

I didn't realise it was literally all the exchanges that collapsed. Bitcoin, there is always more and it is always worse.

Caros
May 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So this popped up today:

Just bask in that image for a moment. Just feel the glory of it. Of the eleven categories I think there are at least five that Facebook 'fails' that I couldn't give even a single solitary poo poo about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's unfortunate that "5 digits of users" didn't fit on the slide.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Caros posted:

So this popped up today:

Just bask in that image for a moment. Just feel the glory of it. Of the eleven categories I think there are at least five that Facebook 'fails' that I couldn't give even a single solitary poo poo about.

As was pointed out in the Bitcoin thread, by those metrics a webpage totally blank except for a bitcoin address is a better social network than Facebook.

Caros
May 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Reminds me of the three cardinal rules of computer security: Do not own a computer, Do not use a computer, Do not turn on power to a computer.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
marbles: no

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Caros posted:

So this popped up today:

It looks like a pretty convincing ad for Diaspora, actually.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What is a 'smart contract'?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Peel posted:

You can attach EULAs to your cat pics or some other nutty libertarian sperg poo poo. Wasn't their example for this something to do with alerting doctors to an ebola outbreak without letting the media know... which only works if no one communicates by any means other than synereo?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

When they were 'worth' a thousand the value was essentially moot because you couldn't sell them. It wasn't until maybe the last eight months and the associated crash that you could actually sell bitcoin for anything approaching market value.

Where did that valuation come from then?

Were trades actually happening at $1,000, or were people actually buying $1,000 worth of drugs for a bitcoin or what.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Where did that valuation come from then?

Were trades actually happening at $1,000, or were people actually buying $1,000 worth of drugs for a bitcoin or what.

The biggest buttcoin exchange (Magic The Gathering Online Exchange to be precise) had buy orders and sell orders meet at around a thousand bucks. The trade volume was minimal and whenever people started selling of modest amounts of butts mtgox "mysteriously" developed "lag" that prevented people from actually selling many butts for a grand each, and "completely unrelated" mini-buy orders for tiny fractions of a butt for high prices started appearing whenever the price started decreasing.

So yes, someone, somewhere, at some point traded butts for a kilobuck each, but chances are you couldn't have.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh I didn't think about that, but yeah if these things are endlessly divisible, you could manipulate the price inexpensively with buy orders for tiny fractions if you didn't allow too many to trade.

This sounds hilariously crooked, is there a place I can read the mtgox saga?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Oh I didn't think about that, but yeah if these things are endlessly divisible, you could manipulate the price inexpensively with buy orders for tiny fractions if you didn't allow too many to trade.

The sad thing about bitcoin is that in the scheme of things, Gox is so minorly crooked. They had one of the largest ripples though and the former owner sits all day posting pictures of his cat to Twitter to the chagrin of people who lost money.

edit:
There isnt much of a story to be honest. The site began ages ago as a M:TG Online trading site trading vietual cards. The owner closed it, and later gotbit by the bitcoin bug and reopened the site as an exchange using some of his old trading api.

Some time later, he sold it to Mark Kaerples, who reworked a lot of the trading platforms. Kaerples owned some server hosting and domain hosting services that took Bitcoin.

Around this time, the price for coins on Gox started to go up and they led the pricing for the rest of the market. There have been some trading trend analysis indicating that Gox was slowly inflating the price using bots, but it isnt anything definitive.

Mid 2013, Gox started to become financially insolvent. They delayed payments, their main payment processor ended their relationship, DHS seized control of a large chunk of their funds*. Despite this, the price continued to climb peaking just before Gox declared bankruptcy bankruptcy in January of 2014.

They declared bankruptcy because a large chunk of their reserve bitcoins could not be accounted for. They blame hackers.

Since then Kaerples posts pictures of his cat on Twitter and chills in Japan.

*-Caveat about the DHS seizure, the warrant was issued because of an affadavit of a secret service agent who is facing corruption charges. Said agent worked closely with DEA agent CARL MARK FORCE IV, who sent an email taunting Kaerples the day of the seizure for not hiring him as a security consultant. Force is also facing corruption charges.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/ has some funny stuff as an overview. All the missing detail as well as hilarious photoshops of buttcoin inventor Satoshi Nakamoto, peace be upon him some random guy called Satoshi Nakamoto who had no loving clue about the existence of buttcoin is found in the ten thousand pages of mock threads in YOSPOS and GBS P&C BYOB Cool Crew Chat Central..

I think buttcoinfoundation is the goon-relaunched version of buttcoin.org. buttcoin.org was originally goon run but then got bought out. The new owners changed one single article making GBS threads on notably incompetent bitcoin business Butterfly Labs (a producer of bitcoin mining hardware that was typically obsolete and delivered about two years late, run by some white collar criminal who was not actually allowed to run a business anymore, his hitman stupid douchebro customer rep who kept insulting the customers for wanting to actually have their orders delivered, and a bunch of poor grandmas with soldering irons) into an article praising notably competent business Butterfly Labs (whose mining hardware would totally become profitable before the heat death of the universe according to the reliable source Butterfly Labs).

e:

ayn rand hand job posted:

The sad thing about bitcoin is that in the scheme of things, Gox is so minorly crooked. They had one of the largest ripples though and the former owner sits all day posting pictures of his cat to Twitter to the chagrin of people who lost money.

Basically whenever you are unsure about something involving buttcoin, guessing "mindbogglingly stupid fuckup" or "blatant scam" will be correct.

e2: Does anyone remember what kugutsumen's SA username or the title of his stupid Belua thread was? (if you don't know either: noted hacker and Eve Online player Kugutsumen took a break from snorting blow off the tits of Indonesian hookers to disrupt social networks or something and came up with a terrible attention economy slash bitcoin slash kugutsumencoin network called Belua that would make Eripsa proud in its unrealistic rear end-backwards non-working approach and that failed to attract any attention, heh. Then he posted a shameless advertisement thread for his terrible idea on somethingawful dot com and got trolled out of the forums)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 25, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

found it: kugutsumen, the thread

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Thanks!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Where did the whole "Attention Economy" thing come from anyways? Whoever did develop the ideas, it sure has been latched on to by tons of pseudo-intellectual morons by this point.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Where did the whole "Attention Economy" thing come from anyways? Whoever did develop the ideas, it sure has been latched on to by tons of pseudo-intellectual morons by this point.

Someone who doesn't have a whole lot of marbles.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

It's come up before, but anyone who'd like to experience what trying to mine/use bitcoins is like could do worse than the Advanced Bitcoin Simulator.

Mercury_Storm posted:

First I heard of it was one of Eripsa's first megaposts back years ago, but I've no idea where he got the idea from.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's come up before, but anyone who'd like to experience what trying to mine/use bitcoins is like could do worse than the Advanced Bitcoin Simulator.

First I heard of it was one of Eripsa's first megaposts back years ago, but I've no idea where he got the idea from.

Attention economy is an old marketing term. It basically just means "Look at people's attention as though it's a currency to be spent". So if someone is paying attention to X, they can't use that same attention to look at Y. Even as marketing-speak it was half-bullshit, but it was just a trade term. It was mostly used in context of 'how do we get people to pay attention to our ads' and is nothing you'd want to base any sort of good human behavior on, the essence of understanding the attention economy in marketing is understanding how to make people pay attention to trivial and unimportant poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is great. How long does it take my ASIC miner to arrive, I keep losing money trying to mine on my virtual laptop.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

This is great. How long does it take my ASIC miner to arrive, I keep losing money trying to mine on my virtual laptop.

It will show up eventually. Then you'll have a scorching good time!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

you forgot the sequel: http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Oh lord, it's even better than the original!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

what do you do when you've done the BFL and mtgox bits, i can't figure out the computer console

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

blowfish posted:

what do you do when you've done the BFL and mtgox bits, i can't figure out the computer console

dir

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

blowfish posted:

go read the last ~25 pages of the 'pos bitcoin thread where people have been extremely prima games about all this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Peel posted:

its magic that people who can't program thought up as an imaginary program that can do things that in actuality requires a strong AI, so that they can eliminate the hated government

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peel posted:

I think it's some technically possible but practically impossible thing bitcoiners like to fantasize about based on a thing where you set up a transaction that only sends if some third-party does a thing, which is basically a semi-automated escrow.

Bitcoiners, being bitcoiners, naturally use that as a basis to dream of a world where they write their contracts ~in the blockchain~ and when the conditions of the contract are fulfilled, ~the blockchain~ will magically learn about those real-life events somehow and release the money all on its own without human interactions. It's techno-utopian garbage.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

I think it's some technically possible but practically impossible thing bitcoiners like to fantasize about based on a thing where you set up a transaction that only sends if some third-party does a thing, which is basically a semi-automated escrow.

Bitcoiners, being bitcoiners, naturally use that as a basis to dream of a world where they write their contracts ~in the blockchain~ and when the conditions of the contract are fulfilled, ~the blockchain~ will magically learn about those real-life events somehow and release the money all on its own without human interactions. It's techno-utopian garbage.

I'd like to preemptively request that whatever Eripsa's next thread is about be subtitled: "techno-utopian garbage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'd like to preemptively request that whatever Eripsa's next thread is about be subtitled: "techno-utopian garbage"

I'd like to request a mod name change from "eripsa" to "techno-utopian garbage".

• Locked thread