Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
It'd be interesting to see what happens in an EVE-like MMO set up with an economy like this as hordes of huge nerds try to figure out how to exploit it (my hunch: it ends in hyperinflation as big cooperative efforts come together to cycle through currency as fast as possible acquiring game assets). Then you'd at least have some experimental data to compare and contrast the behavior of this system with that of traditional economies.

Without any idea of how this would actually work in practice, any discussion of actual applications for it is just pseudointellectual wanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Adar posted:

Every single transaction type Eripsa specified in his word salad of an essay already exists in very basic banking and contract law using existing non-pseudointellectual dollar bills and contracts. The only thing that would change from today is a basic income coupled with an account balance cap as an incentive to spend.

What would happen in a videogame is a lot of people with massive account balances scattered between many accounts and, yes, a hyper-inflationary scenario for the average space peasant whose basic income wouldn't cover upgrading a newbie ship (as the goon cartel would simply acquire hard assets as fast as they could, then keep them cycling among themselves to avoid any penalties). Assuming every player was magically restricted to one account because Eripsaland, they would still form a cartel and the cartel would quickly own 100% of the videogame since there is nothing in the earlier sentence that *requires* multiple accounts to work. Assuming no cartels because Eripsaland, the currency itself would likely become worthless as a store of value as players repeatedly failed to understand why they were being penalized for success and the medium of exchange would shift to an in-game item.

What would happen in reality (given the other attention essays; I make no claim on the feasibility of balance caps + basic incomes in general other than to say the combination is probably still pretty ruinous) is that a lot of plebes would starve and the world would be run by Youtube trolls, but Eripsa describes this as a feature so it's not actually a negative for him.

What would be real-world examples of coupling and inhibition? I'm having a little trouble penetrating the overly technical language, but they appear to be agreements between two people that end up pulling extra money out of the Monopoly bank rather than each other, and I'm not aware of anything similar in reality.

Also, if there really is no functional difference aside from the balance cap, but this system would still result in hyperinflation, then would just imposing a wealth cap in the real world also result in hyperinflation?

Honest, non-rhetorical questions here, this isn't my strongest subject.

• Locked thread