Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
jesus, party alarm.

E30 question guys. 4cyl pre facelift with a 6cyl swap. Can't get the cooling system to bleed. The expansion tank is on the driver fender and kinda just rests there, has since I bought the car with the swap. What do I need to do to bleed it?

Also, valve adjustments are tits. Also also gently caress doing timing belts and water pumps on the m20, the m50 actually makes sense.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

SuperDucky posted:

jesus, party alarm.

E30 question guys. 4cyl pre facelift with a 6cyl swap. Can't get the cooling system to bleed. The expansion tank is on the driver fender and kinda just rests there, has since I bought the car with the swap. What do I need to do to bleed it?

Also, valve adjustments are tits. Also also gently caress doing timing belts and water pumps on the m20, the m50 actually makes sense.

The thermostat housing should have a bleed screw?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Debating between a S50/52 or M20 stroker for a possible future project. Thought it was as simple as using some parts from a super eta engine but apparently there's about a million drat ways to do it. Guess I need to figure out how much money I want to spend and how much power I want.

Stroker M20 is going to cost you at least as much as an S50/52 *and* you still have to do valve adjustments every how often. I was on the same line of thinking and was fairly set on the stroker M20 until the last time I had to do the valves and then I said gently caress this lovely loving engine and gently caress these loving valve loving adjusters. It wouldn't be that bad if the brim on the head was 3/4" lower than it is. Just enough to allow you to get the feeler gauges in there at a decent angle rather than having to fight the bastards in there.

And then I found a full M52B28 swap on craigslist for $1200 and that sealed the deal.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Moxie Omen posted:

The thermostat housing should have a bleed screw?

Indeed. Parked uphill, hot, let the bleed screw go with all the hoses tight. Never stopped bleeding and it never blew hot. I've bled plenty of x5xs fine which is why I'm asking here.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drat how the hell. We were trying to figure out what we would need to do to fit 225 on the racecar, 275 would be pretty fun.

charliemonster42 posted:

Stroker M20 is going to cost you at least as much as an S50/52 *and* you still have to do valve adjustments every how often. I was on the same line of thinking and was fairly set on the stroker M20 until the last time I had to do the valves and then I said gently caress this lovely loving engine and gently caress these loving valve loving adjusters. It wouldn't be that bad if the brim on the head was 3/4" lower than it is. Just enough to allow you to get the feeler gauges in there at a decent angle rather than having to fight the bastards in there.

And then I found a full M52B28 swap on craigslist for $1200 and that sealed the deal.
I need to read up on the S50 swap more but I've got one sitting in WI that I should just send down and use. Haven't driven a S50/52 powered one in a while but I remember it being pretty drat fun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The world's first mini-tubbed E30?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

NitroSpazzz posted:

I need to read up on the S50 swap more but I've got one sitting in WI that I should just send down and use.
I made up a spreadsheet that's pretty handy.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tDf7ZFItZsQerkoul4gXguYDs4SYvjuzctaWC7fmvU/edit?usp=sharing

Just noticed your motorsport handles party alarm, goddamn.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 6, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

there's a thread on r3v for fitting 15x10 wheels

:eyepop:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My brother in law's car before he sold it a few years ago:https://vimeo.com/10663471

Acceleration in that was like I reckon time travel would feel.

Here's a build thread he did for it that I found with some Googling. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?990080-new-sweden-e30-take-2-corvette-what-!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I remember that build, what an amazing car. those acceleration vids are unreal.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
~M52b28 parts ordered~

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Snagged some cardinalrot door panels and some clean cam trays at pull-a-part. Delaying the motor build to have the bottom end assembly balanced and the head refreshed

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
How in the gently caress did I lose my 3.25 LSD

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

How in the gently caress did I lose my 3.25 LSD
Dumbass

Hey I might finally have some time to do a heads up of the M3 and the M5 next month. What do you fuckers want?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Just a heads up, the Spring Brodeo is coming up in a couple weeks. Mostly an E30 meet but other BMW's usually show up as well.

R3V link - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=349134
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/912546888789473/

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dunno if everyone checks the AI marketplace thread, but I put my 1987 325is up for sale yesterday. I haven't listed it anywhere else yet, I've never been a member of any BMW boards and I know how CL is going to be....

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

angryrobots posted:

Dunno if everyone checks the AI marketplace thread, but I put my 1987 325is up for sale yesterday. I haven't listed it anywhere else yet, I've never been a member of any BMW boards and I know how CL is going to be....

That's a cutie. If I didn't already have three I'd be into it, I've been itching for an early model lately.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Hoping to have the brown car make the brodeo so I can finally show up in an e30

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Party Alarm posted:

What the, I thought you were west coast for some reason. Maybe I should bother to drag my e30 down for this.

OH WAIT I'm not even going to be on this coast on those dates. doh.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Other than the diff you misplaced what does it need?

I need to get off my rear end and replace the god drat cooling system on the E30 then it will be ready to go. Worst case I go the lazy route and just toss in the radiator then do everything else after.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Moxie Omen posted:

What the, I thought you were west coast for some reason.
Ha, I didn't even click on it until you said this, I didn't know there were any events in the southeast. I sent the link to my wife and she said "Oh my. You should go".

I've never been a member of r3v, think I'd be welcome? Give me a reason to hang on to the old girl a while longer (the car not the wife).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Ha, I didn't even click on it until you said this, I didn't know there were any events in the southeast. I sent the link to my wife and she said "Oh my. You should go".

I've never been a member of r3v, think I'd be welcome? Give me a reason to hang on to the old girl a while longer (the car not the wife).

You'd be welcome, I haven't been active on r3v or any BMW forum in a long time but am friends with the guy hosting. As long as you aren't an rear end you'll get along with everyone and be welcome.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
RobertK is the greatest

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Look at this cool as gently caress oil pressure gauge

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Guys, every time I see a new post in my thread it leads me to start looking for another E30. :smith:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So thinking about going to that meet inspired me to go dick around with the car this evening. I've had a persistent issue with a crappy idle, usually just when it's warm. My bs gauge thinks it's throwing too much fuel at it. CEL will illuminate at idle, any little movement of the throttle will smooth out the idle and the CEL will go off.

Stomp test will show code 1222. I have changed the o2 and hunted down vacuum leaks, which both did help with engine management under load, but the lovely idle persists.

I unplugged the AFM and cranked it up, idle was smoother. Am I looking at a probable bad AFM or do I need further diagnostics? Do I have to go back with another AFM or are there any better options (like a plug and play MAF, that would be sweet).

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

angryrobots posted:

So thinking about going to that meet inspired me to go dick around with the car this evening. I've had a persistent issue with a crappy idle, usually just when it's warm. My bs gauge thinks it's throwing too much fuel at it. CEL will illuminate at idle, any little movement of the throttle will smooth out the idle and the CEL will go off.

Stomp test will show code 1222. I have changed the o2 and hunted down vacuum leaks, which both did help with engine management under load, but the lovely idle persists.

I unplugged the AFM and cranked it up, idle was smoother. Am I looking at a probable bad AFM or do I need further diagnostics? Do I have to go back with another AFM or are there any better options (like a plug and play MAF, that would be sweet).

Crappy idle like too low? or hunting?

If you're running too rich you may want to think about FPR and injectors as well.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

WONDER WHAT IM DOING

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Looks p cool I think. TO THE PRINTER!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Moxie Omen posted:

Crappy idle like too low? or hunting?

If you're running too rich you may want to think about FPR and injectors as well.
Little low, and rough. It might hunt a couple times the first start up after the battery has been disconnected. The more it's driven, generally the better it idles.

FPR, that's no problem I can throw that at it. Injectors, what is going wrong with them maybe? Think they're not closing all the way?

Edit:I feel like running better with the AFM disconnected, means the fuel delivery is probably OK. I'm not familiar with the older e30 motronic, but I had to go deep into an issue with another car, and running better in alpha-n points pretty hard at a bad input.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 21, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Guys, every time I see a new post in my thread it leads me to start looking for another E30. :smith:

As you should, get rid of that lemon of a car you're driving and get another money pit E30.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

How shameful is it if I get ESM 002's to put on my vert

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Very shameful. You'll have to commit sudoku before you're aloud at any serious car meets bruh

Really, just say no to fake 2/3 piece wheels.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whoa that turned out nice. You can obviously tell the difference but now that you know it fits maybe you can use acetone or something to smooth out the deposition marks.

Does the direction of flow always face you now, or what?

e: I dig the hell out of that. I can't stop looking at it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That turned out pretty great despite the lovely plastic.

Replacing ALL the heater and coolant hoses on a S14 car is a loving pain in the rear end. I wimped out and only did the ones on the front of the engine and going to the overflow tank. Went to replace the thermostat and can't get the loving sensors out of it, can't even get the block plugs out of the new one. So running old thermostat for now as well because :effort: At least the water pump was a piece of cake to change. Fill, flush, fill then bleed the system today then take it for a spin.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yeah, it was just a nylon test print at .25 mm layer height. I just got my ABS in and I should be able to get that looking super smooth.

A few hours from now I'll be truckin' to Knoxville to get this motor built!

Whoa that turned out nice. You can obviously tell the difference but now that you know it fits maybe you can use acetone or something to smooth out the deposition marks.

Does the direction of flow always face you now, or what?

e: I dig the hell out of that. I can't stop looking at it.

No, but that'd be a good feature to add. It just is stuck straight forward, no tilting up or down or side to side - I'd have to go to a smaller gauge.

Thanks, haha. Once I saw the render I got really excited about getting it into production.

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 25, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Building a motor is a huge pain in the rear end and you have to clean everything elevendy billion times, just btw

• Locked thread