Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

E30 tribute video/documentary - http://vimeo.com/107437867

Pretty good clip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

NitroSpazzz posted:

E30 tribute video/documentary - http://vimeo.com/107437867

Pretty good clip

This is a good vid.

Now I'm one step closer to an S52 swap.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I haven't really done much yet, still waiting on securing this space to move the car / engine to move forward.

In the mean time, I've been continually chatting up my Compressible Flow professor to learn more / debunk car engineering myths / misunderstandings / grey areas. It's been pretty cool and I might make a thread about Automotive Engineering in here to talk about stuff like bullshit marketing of Ram Air Intakes (tm), how it should not be confused with ram theory aka resonance tuning, and so on

I need more things to distract me, my dog died on Saturday way way too young from immune-mediated thrombocytopenia and it's got me feelin' pretty poo poo :smith:

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?
Not my video but does anyone have a clue what might be causing this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFB7AYctRVI

Only happens once the car has warmed up, around 2k rpm this raspy noise begins. I've adjusted the valves and tried a few different oils, although not a fully synthetic one...can't see how that would do it but I'm willing to try anything at this point. The car runs/drives great cold or hot, just makes an awful racket when its hot.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

coolmancraig posted:

Only happens once the car has warmed up, around 2k rpm this raspy noise begins. I've adjusted the valves and tried a few different oils, although not a fully synthetic one...can't see how that would do it but I'm willing to try anything at this point. The car runs/drives great cold or hot, just makes an awful racket when its hot.

That sounds a hell of a lot like your power steering pump. Otherwise just normal old E30 rattle :shobon:

I miss that sound :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

coolmancraig posted:

Do you still have the mechanical fan installed?

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?

Lightbulb Out posted:

Do you still have the mechanical fan installed?

Yes, but I have pulled it off briefly thinking it was that but the problem persisted.

I can live with the rattle - it's just when I'm cruising at 80km/h (:australia:) or above with a constant rpm the rattle turns into a very loud ticking noise. Slightly different sound to the rocker tick, I can tell the two apart now.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Am I dumb for wanting to trade my alloy M52 for an M60? I feel dumb but it sounds so good

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Friend of mine has a M60B40 + 6 speed he's trying to get rid of and I'm so tempted but I have NOWHERE to put it

Moxie Omen fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 9, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I got a minty M62b44 for $250 and could probably find one again

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Nothing sounds more terrifying than a high torque motor in a light weight car.

Do it:getin:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'd go from a 330lb motor to a 450lb one :/

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Party Alarm posted:

Just give me your aluminum one. It'll go to a good cause.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You just have to lose 80 lbs to make up for it (if you are a skinny person don't do this) :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Party Alarm posted:

Is your m52 aluminium block? The m60 is lighter than the iron block 24v motors.

Personally I'd stick with the m52. I know 2 guys who started e30 m60 swaps. One gave up and the other one is still gathering parts. There is a lot more crap to deal with for BMW v8 swaps. Brake booster, subframe and exhaust clearance to steering rack are a few I'm aware of. All the 24v stuff is so well documented and painless. M60s are giant fuckoff motors that don't really fit well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
As cool as the m60 would be in an E30 this is the one time where LSx motor swap actually makes sense. Plus if you find an aluminum block motor its going to be very close in weight.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
LS swap kits are expensive. Like 5k last I checked.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yall realize he's already done a m60 swap in this car before right, I don't think finishing it will be the issue, I guess it comes down to how you want the car to drive

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've seen 2 LS swapped e30's at the E30 picnic and TBH they're really squeezed to fit.

I'm flirting with the idea of a high revving 4cyl to replace my m42--either a F20 or KA24 swap. Yes, its not the cheapest thing to do but I really want to keep a 4 banger in my car.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I have one of the rare alloy block M52s. I'm very aware of what I need to do extra to cram the M60 in there.

I just get tempted by sound is all

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
The brown car is :siren: IN THE DRIVEWAY :siren:

e: It's very dirty and a tree limb put three dings in it. Welp!

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 20, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

So re: Track One:

Mike had to close his doors last year at the end of the summer. He ended up getting into business with a friend of his that became a bit of a business mentor for him. He was running a place called CPR - Classic Porsche Restoration - out of his garage. He had built himself a reputation and had a pretty solid customer base, but really needed help from someone who understood entrepreneurialship and was driven towards the same goal. Honestly it's the same thing Mike wanted in an employee - more a partner than an employee.

Mike started working with Matt, learned how to work on Porsches and exotics, and they just recently moved into a nice new two building complex. They've been SLAMMED. Tons of work. No one in the Nashville area really caters to work like they do - quality over quantity work on high end cars with a focus on track duty.

The CPR name was already in use by another company, so they decided to resurrect the Track One name.

They've already developed some Cayman products, and I may be doing some product development with them this winter. Good times!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Party Alarm posted:

quality over quantity work on high end cars with a focus on track duty.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Hooray camber! I'm really tired now - ended up working on the 135i way too late

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

RIP little buddy. I'll miss you :smith:

At least I have car poo poo and happy pills to keep me from sinking into a horrible depression!

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=338592

Here are some photos from the Southeast BMW Brodeo last weekend. I'll have to dig around for some more. There were some good killboy shots too. Highlights for me were several clean runs up on the Dragon at night (after they cleared out the wrecks - one of killboy's photographers got a great shot of a Genesis Coupe torpedoing a ditch), drinking a lot of awesome moonshine, and seeing some great friends.

There's always an award given out at the Brodeo - the Broner. Here was this year's trophy:

They still haven't topped this trophy, though

Ultrawide flares have been ordered. Once I sell the old 135i wheels I'm going to do another parts order, probably for the 5 lug hubs and rotors. I should run down to a pull-a-part for some wheels to roll on.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

poo poo I missed it last year because I was sick, missed it this year because I was out of town (and forgot about it). One of these years everything will line up and I'll make it in one of the E30's. Looks like you guys had a good turnout.

In E30 news I banged up our E30 vert chump pretty good at RA the last race. We're going to re-skin the entire passenger side, fix the bent/broke components and continue to beat the hell out of it. Looking at four races for next season.

Party Alarm posted:

RIP little buddy. I'll miss you :smith:
Sorry about the furry friend.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Those are some mighty fine cock trophys

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
There's an e30 chump/lemons/GRM car project in the works with a few friends. Should be fun!

Definitely make it out to the spring brodeo - we're getting a private campsite because we keep getting the rangers called on us.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Brodeo stuff

A really clean ZF box

Always change your oil promptly folks. gently caress you, BMW, for specifying 15,000 oil change intervals.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Holy gently caress there's a good M62b44 and a loving 5 speed off an M60b30 car at Pull A Part. I need to grab that poo poo and flip it.

Already snagged a 24v swap oil pan + dip stick + pickup, M50 manifold, and valve cover off an e34 525i that was there. More funds for the e30! Snagged a set of used e36 M3 brake rotors on the way back. Almost ready to start mocking up the brakes.

I found four 17x9 Style 32s. Working out a deal, crossing my fingers. I loving love style 32s.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Party Alarm posted:

Hooray camber! I'm really tired now - ended up working on the 135i way too late

You should get an LSD next, MFactory LSDs are around $2k plus core for a rebuilt pumpkin. You can swap it in about an hour on a lift or ~3 hours on jackstands. I went with a 3.46 ratio when I did it, I love the car more than ever now.

(I also installed the differential lockdown kit at the same time to stop wheel hop)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Love that blue. More pictures?

I want to eventually dump some money in the e82. I'm going to go straight for an M3 differential though. I have a friend that runs a salvage yard, I can get full e90 M3 suspension, hubs, brakes, steering rack, axles, LSD, and driveshaft for less than $3000.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yessssss the Style 32s are on their way.

I'll need to refinish them, but not a big deal.

I just have to decide on color, and I'm leaning towards Volk Mag Blue

Apparently Ford Medium Royal Blue looks almost identical

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Woot Style 32s! I want a staggered E38 set of them for my E34 :|

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
One of my favorite BMW wheels. Too bad they are a bit on the heavy side!

doogle
May 24, 2003

Party Alarm posted:

Love that blue. More pictures?

I want to eventually dump some money in the e82. I'm going to go straight for an M3 differential though. I have a friend that runs a salvage yard, I can get full e90 M3 suspension, hubs, brakes, steering rack, axles, LSD, and driveshaft for less than $3000.

You're going to want the DCT M3 diff if you do that, the manual final drive is like 3.84. The DCT is 3.15, the manual 135i is 3.08. I can tell you that with 3.46 gears I am already wanting a 7th gear for highway use, with 3.84s it might be pretty bad. Or just get a giant single turbo then you'll actually need the gearing so it works itself out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Think I may be going to look at a E30 318is slicktop in a few hours. Don't need another car, especially another E30 but the price is stupid cheap and it looks immaculate. We'll see what 'upgrades' have been installed and go from there.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Think I may be going to look at a E30 318is slicktop in a few hours. Don't need another car, especially another E30 but the price is stupid cheap and it looks immaculate. We'll see what 'upgrades' have been installed and go from there.

"I don't need another E30" said nobody ever.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

NitroSpazzz posted:

Moxie Omen posted:

"I don't need another E30" said nobody ever.

This. Buy it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Haven't seen the car yet, guy got back to me late but sent me a list of what's been done. Then a friend offered his one owner, full records, houndstooth interior 325es. Damnit I'm bad at impulse buying cars when I have to pick between two...leaning towards the 318is at the moment. A clean, full records car is nice but I'm not a huge fan of the 325es.

Need to find some time this week or weekend to do some test drives.

• Locked thread