Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?
I installed my rebuilt driveshaft/guibo/centre bearing and did the timing belt and water pump/thermostat plus belts on Saturday after work.

Timing belt tensioner was shot but fortunately I had a new one. I've never seen that kind of slack on a belt, let alone a cambelt. It also seems my home alternator rebuild did the job - its whisper quiet!

Do ya think this pump was on its way out too? Never showed a sign of overheating but I don't think it would have taken long. I'll need to flush the system a couple times after seeing the amount of crud in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Not my video but does anyone have a clue what might be causing this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFB7AYctRVI

Only happens once the car has warmed up, around 2k rpm this raspy noise begins. I've adjusted the valves and tried a few different oils, although not a fully synthetic one...can't see how that would do it but I'm willing to try anything at this point. The car runs/drives great cold or hot, just makes an awful racket when its hot.

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

Do you still have the mechanical fan installed?

Yes, but I have pulled it off briefly thinking it was that but the problem persisted.

I can live with the rattle - it's just when I'm cruising at 80km/h (:australia:) or above with a constant rpm the rattle turns into a very loud ticking noise. Slightly different sound to the rocker tick, I can tell the two apart now.

• Locked thread