Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah you might want to flush and fill a few times. I'm guessing somebody used tap water with a lot of ions? Lucky that wheel didn't lose any fins.

Mine unfortunately hasn't moved since I relocated to the new shop 3 months ago. Still need to rinse off the spring pollen. Maybe I'll get that done today and take it for a spin.

Edit: did get it cleaned up and took the family for a ride.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

325is bronzit. Stock ride height, OEM basketweaves on 195-65-14. Need tires. Nobody local has anything, and the only thing I can find online decent is a kumho in 195-65. Can't find a 205-60 at all.

This is an extra pleasure vehicle. I could order the 195-65 online but not really a fan of running a tire I apparently could not replace if I drove out of town. What are my options here, if I buy new wheels what's not going to look goofy at stock ride height?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think I've decided on these 15x7 wheels which are on sale for $133 from bavauto, with a 205-55 Dunlop summer tire. They are hub centric which I prefer. Found a couple BBS style wheels on eBay which were supposedly also hub centric, but couldn't find much info on the manufacturer, so decided against them even though I prefer that style.

Any thoughts?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

13.8 vs 15.3 lbs. Unsprung weight I know, but negligible for my purposes. It would be a fair amount cheaper, tho. And the Beyern wheels are probably a bit fancy for a bronzit, even though I like them more.

$996 shipped for Beyern, plus mount/balance locally. $825 for trm c1 shipped ready to install. Yeah I'll probably go that way. Thanks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think the new wheels are pretty OK.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Been kinda kicking around the idea of getting a gas saver to drive into work and ferry the kids around. The 325is doesn't get much better mileage than my truck, and 2 doors with kids is a hassle.

91 318i 4 door/5 speed just popped up on one of my for sale pages. Contacted them and received some terrible pictures (seriously what is wrong with people, why do you think I want to see your ugly, ill-fitting seat covers as the entire picture). Might go take a look.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I wouldn't complain about that, just going with what's available. The couple eta I've seen locally have been automatic or asking too much.

And I kinda like wringing out a 4 banger.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Probably better than the 16-17 mpg in my v8 truck though. And a lot more fun.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm sure this is won't help, but it happens that a clutch release bearing from a flathead-era Ford is sized perfectly to (IIRC) fit in the opening behind the bearing.

That, and some 3/4 threaded rod/nuts and bearing outer race sized washers, is what I pushed mine in and out with. Good luck.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dunno if everyone checks the AI marketplace thread, but I put my 1987 325is up for sale yesterday. I haven't listed it anywhere else yet, I've never been a member of any BMW boards and I know how CL is going to be....

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Moxie Omen posted:

What the, I thought you were west coast for some reason.
Ha, I didn't even click on it until you said this, I didn't know there were any events in the southeast. I sent the link to my wife and she said "Oh my. You should go".

I've never been a member of r3v, think I'd be welcome? Give me a reason to hang on to the old girl a while longer (the car not the wife).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So thinking about going to that meet inspired me to go dick around with the car this evening. I've had a persistent issue with a crappy idle, usually just when it's warm. My bs gauge thinks it's throwing too much fuel at it. CEL will illuminate at idle, any little movement of the throttle will smooth out the idle and the CEL will go off.

Stomp test will show code 1222. I have changed the o2 and hunted down vacuum leaks, which both did help with engine management under load, but the lovely idle persists.

I unplugged the AFM and cranked it up, idle was smoother. Am I looking at a probable bad AFM or do I need further diagnostics? Do I have to go back with another AFM or are there any better options (like a plug and play MAF, that would be sweet).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Moxie Omen posted:

Crappy idle like too low? or hunting?

If you're running too rich you may want to think about FPR and injectors as well.
Little low, and rough. It might hunt a couple times the first start up after the battery has been disconnected. The more it's driven, generally the better it idles.

FPR, that's no problem I can throw that at it. Injectors, what is going wrong with them maybe? Think they're not closing all the way?

Edit:I feel like running better with the AFM disconnected, means the fuel delivery is probably OK. I'm not familiar with the older e30 motronic, but I had to go deep into an issue with another car, and running better in alpha-n points pretty hard at a bad input.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 21, 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I found a place that will refurbish and test the AFM, but upon some digging into the motronic operation, I don't think the ecu is (supposed to) be reading the AFM at idle, which is where my issue is at. The TPS is not a variable resistance unit like more modern fuel injection systems use. It has three positions, idle (ecu uses intake air and coolant temp, does not use measured air volume), middle position (AFM in use), and WOT (max fueling table).

So I need to test my tps to make sure it's sending idle position signal and look for vacuum leaks (like every other e30) and that's where I'm still at, haven't had a chance to screw with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

TPS is easy. STOMP test if your ecu is new enough and if the STOMP test works so does your TPS. If your ECU is too old like mine (pre-november 1988) then you can manually open the throttle and listen for it to click on and off reliably when it's ever so slightly open.
My 87 325is (early 87 car) stomp tests just fine....

And I thought that about the stomp test generally verifying the tps operation, but my issue is intermittent, and it's an easy thing to check (if you have time, which I don't, so it sits).

• Locked thread