Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Why no V8 anymore? I love your E30s and it makes me want to swap all of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Can this be the E30 thread?? :ohdear:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I've got Ronals, too!

I need to get a picture of them on my father's car who I "lent" them to. He's going to keep them, I feel. I've been running 15'' Koseis on the red one and 16'' Team Dynamics on the silver one. Tire choice is annoying due to the wheel diameters.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Moxie Omen posted:

GAH MY HEART. A 911's on my list one of these days.

Especially that generation of 911 :swoon:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Who else have gods true chariot, an E30, on the forums? I know myself, Beach Bum, Party Alarm, Moxie Alarm, aventari....

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That Jaguar looks loving intense. Please post more pictures of it.

It's probably best to upgrade the motor while you are there. There's no sense in not, it seems.

I found a seized caliper slide on my Girling calipers. Found some ATE calipers in the scrap bin that cleaned up nicely, and some brass guides and new slides. Rebuild kit on order, but I'm feeling fancy.

I also poorly adjusted my valves. Tick tick tick tick tick. I'm going to redo that job tomorrow.

At least everything looks nice and clean in there.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That's not my garage, but I'll post some pictures. I am fortunate enough to have a good relationship with the local independent BMW shop. I get to use their poo poo myself and for cheap, and I provide on-call computer assistance whenever they need it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I redid my valve adjustment today and now everything sounds great! Photos...

The BMW recycler next door. There are BMWs all the way down the line on both sides.

I also used the scales. Here's the weight with me and a tank of gas.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 19, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where is this BMW recycler at?

Iowa City on the east side of town. He mostly does E46s and E36s, with some E30 stuff thrown in there every now and then.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The wheels on that E30 are intense. I really wonder how that thing handles.

That 2002 interior certainly looks nice as well.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Moxie Omen posted:

I just bought a '92 318i vert in calypsorot. I have a problem and I need help. :(

Pix or it didn't happen.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Alabamarama posted:

Ooooh, can I play?

Its been in my family for 22 years!

Sadly I must sell it because moving.

For how much and where? :getin:

Moxie Omen posted:

I've gone full retard.

Looks like a nice example. The verts don't do much for me but it's cool that you have a '92. Can I ask how much you picked it up for?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Beach Bum, what front calipers are on your car?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Here is my 91 318is

Ordered GC coilovers, some ESM 007 16x8 +20 wheels, a 3.73 LSD, and a few other things. Daily beater in style. Replaced the o2 sensor and redid all of the vac lines as soon as I bought it since the thing was eating gas / bouncing idle / etc and now it's smooth as hell. Also put in AKG offset CABs, new control arms, inner and outer tie rods... next on the list is to take care of the rear of the car.

It's pretty hilarious to me but that's just typical E30 purchase now. First, buy the car. Then, replace a ton of poo poo.

I know you said it's running great now, but check your intake boot for cracks as well. They go bad fairly often.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sometimes I think I want an e30. Then I realize I don't hate myself that much. It's like wanting a w8 powered VW. I'd much rather live vicariously through you guys. Also: Jesus loving Christ to that Jag. Are you kidding me?

Comparing a W8 powered VW to an E30 is a little extreme, but to have a sorted one definitely takes some work. Once it's set up, it's really not that bad though. Pretty standard old car poo poo. And the car is easy to work on.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

I abuse the poo poo out of my E30 and defer maintenance all the time and the only time it's ever left me stranded is when I've killed the battery and had a pinhole in a radiator hose. Parts are way less than all my coworkers with VAG products and most importantly the car is fun to drive.

That describes it exactly. My only stranding was when my clutch fan let go and then took out the belts, too.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The wiring to the speed sensor on the diff let go. I crimped a new connector on, didn't even have to jack it up.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Alabamarama posted:

Huntsville, AL (hence username) and its in the "AI For Sale" thread, bottom of pg. 5 if you are interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=5#post427520701 for anyone who is interested.

Looks like a decent E30.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Are we still posting cars on Ronals?

*I forgot to mention that on the way there, I hit 200,000 miles.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 4, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Speaking of a coolant leak!

Time to pull off the intake manifold!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Bumping the E30 thread.

Just got a garage, so hope to be working on them a little bit more. The red one needs the rear trailing arm bushings replaced. I have access the parts to convert the rear to 5-lug. I figure I should just do it all at once so I don't have to pull the subframe again. I'll need new wheels and tires for the back for now, but I think it could be a good stepping stone to getting 5 lug all the way around and then the M3 motor. Anyone else been doing some fun E30 stuff?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Finally got the car professionally detailed. It's nice to have it be one color again. The single stage was very oxidized.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

charliemonster42 posted:

It looks fantastic!

How much did it cost you? I really need to do mine or get it done. It's 3 different shades of red now :(

It was $150, and he said that he didn't charge me enough. He also put on some sort of coating for free as well. The drivers side front fender(single stage) and the hood(dual stage) used to not match at all. As you can see, they're a lot better. If you get a lot of light on the car and look closely, you can still tell but it is WAY better.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

NitroSpazzz posted:

E30 tribute video/documentary - http://vimeo.com/107437867

Pretty good clip

This is a good vid.

Now I'm one step closer to an S52 swap.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

coolmancraig posted:

Not my video but does anyone have a clue what might be causing this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFB7AYctRVI

Only happens once the car has warmed up, around 2k rpm this raspy noise begins. I've adjusted the valves and tried a few different oils, although not a fully synthetic one...can't see how that would do it but I'm willing to try anything at this point. The car runs/drives great cold or hot, just makes an awful racket when its hot.

Do you still have the mechanical fan installed?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Party Alarm posted:

I'd go from a 330lb motor to a 450lb one :/

Just give me your aluminum one. It'll go to a good cause.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

NitroSpazzz posted:

Think I may be going to look at a E30 318is slicktop in a few hours. Don't need another car, especially another E30 but the price is stupid cheap and it looks immaculate. We'll see what 'upgrades' have been installed and go from there.

Moxie Omen posted:

"I don't need another E30" said nobody ever.

This. Buy it already.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Is the kinect driver some kind of home brew that's specific to the metrology software you're using? Wonder if I could do a build with one and test the accuracy, I've got enough standards I could use, not exactly sure how you would align it properly though

I believe it's a Microsoft driver, actually. They're usable on the PC. I'm curious if the Kinect V2 has support, yet.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
So when can I order the parts for my car?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This thread in combination with an S50 and 5 lug parts on the shelf at my friends shop is really really really difficult.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have to buy a 3rd E30 first.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

HotCanadianChick posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing or something. One can never have enough E30s.

It's a little thing I call priorities. Third E30, then S50/5lug.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Who's 87 is that, gently caress that's a pretty car

My dads. Less than 100k, my Ronal LS', old man owned.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have been not motivated at all to work on cars because of winter.

However, my exhaust strap rusted apart and is now rattling on my already rusted apart muffler and rear exhaust. New catbacks online are $300, which seems ridiculous to me. Also, my diff is leaking from the input side. Also, I need to rewire one of the headlight grounds.

At least it was "warm" today :smith:

Fortunately, my friend has a small case 4.10 LSD that I can buy for cheap and swap into it, and then sell.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 15, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I've been daily driving a '91 318i. It's a great DD, but it doesn't get THAT much better mileage than a 325i, especially the way I drive it....

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It's really really really fun. I average about 28mpg on the highway and 25 in town. If you slow down it does significantly better.

Check the oil pan for bolts, there's a plastic coolant passageway that breaks under the manifold, you'll probably want to replace the chain tensioner, and I think it handles better than my 325 due to the lighter motor. Also, typical E30 rust and bushings issues.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, I'm averaging 26mpg city/highway with my 91 318is. It's got heavy wheels on it and I beat on it. Savagely. All the time.

There is literally no other way to drive an E30.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Hey guys if you get an extra differential don't forget it in your trunk because it will fall over and leak fluid out of the vent hole everywhere

Pro tip

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Changed my bad diff, made a world of difference for noise inside the car.

Here's a picture of a rusty E30 M3.

Got out the red car.

E30 livin', ya'll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Thanks for the write up so far, Party Alarm. I really really am interested in the aluminum block engine in an E30. Driving my 318 and 325 back to back its super obvious that a lighter motor would be better.

• Locked thread