Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Spincut posted:

Monsterhearts is probably the best.

The same person, Joe McDaldno, also made a free game called Dream Askew that's meant to be a queer-focused GM-less Apocalypse World, but ehhhh, I didn't like it as much.

EDIT:

Hahahaha. My friend has a copy of that. I keep meaning to do a F&F of it.

For reference, they're going by Avery nowadays, the change was...a few months ago? I don't remember exactly when, but fairly recently. Rookvale (described by McDaldno as 'grimdark Pokemon') has six genders available for players, has some pretty cool card-based mechanics, and I'm probably running it at a con in October.

But yeah, Monsterhearts is amazing. Everyone should take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Monsterhearts is an amazing game and it's pretty much required reading if you like *World style games, but I don't think I could ever actually play it. Especially at a table. :(

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

palecur posted:

For reference, they're going by Avery nowadays, the change was...a few months ago? I don't remember exactly when, but fairly recently. Rookvale (described by McDaldno as 'grimdark Pokemon') has six genders available for players, has some pretty cool card-based mechanics, and I'm probably running it at a con in October.

But yeah, Monsterhearts is amazing. Everyone should take a look.

Ah okay. Saw they went by Avery on Twitter and wasn't sure if that was an "official" change or not. Good to know, thanks.

Also yeah, Rookvale looks awesome. It's also free, as it was released from his Patreon.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I never took a very close look at Monsterhearts. I always assumed it was for teenagers (not a bad thing) or for grown-ups who wanted to simulate teenage make-outs (not a good thing).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Technically it is about Adults who simulate teenage makeouts, but only for the inevitable horrible fallout that occurs afterwords. It is a game that takes the teenage feeling that the world is over because your crush went with someone else at the prom and says "Hey, what if it actually was?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like to think that Monsterhearts lures people with the idea of teenage romance how we want to remember it (hot and sexy and intense) and when you start playing you realize that it's teenage romance the way it really was (confusing and humiliating and intense).

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Monsterhearts is definitely on my list of Play This Someday.

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to paint some minis this weekend. Been too long since I painted something and I've got a pile of Bones to do. I don't even remember all of what's in my minis box, and I have no idea what I'm going to start on.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 24, 2014

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Monsterhearts is to the World of Darkness as Dungeon World is to D&D, no more, no less.

I've never quite understood why people assume it's somehow more prurient or perverted than, say, the first three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which was also about teenagers making out with/fighting/being monsters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like to think that Monsterhearts lures people with the idea of teenage romance how we want to remember it (hot and sexy and intense) and when you start playing you realize that it's teenage romance the way it really was (confusing and humiliating and intense).

My best game of it came from introducing it to a group of friends consisting of only one person who has experience with role playing games as basically 'yea...it's kinda like True Blood'. When they realized half into the first game that I meant it as more than 'yea you can gently caress a vampire' it was pretty great.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Monsterhearts is pretty much my favorite game and all this discussion about it serves as a painful reminder of the fact that I should really get my poo poo together with my F&F writeup of it.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Parkreiner posted:

Monsterhearts is to the World of Darkness as Dungeon World is to D&D, no more, no less.

I've never quite understood why people assume it's somehow more prurient or perverted than, say, the first three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which was also about teenagers making out with/fighting/being monsters.

Monsterhearts is also a top-notch implementation of the Apocalypse. It drips with theme and mechanical enforcement of playstyle. The book also has the most helpful and specific instructions on how to run the game I've ever read.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Parkreiner posted:

Because the BtVS game doesn't have sex moves.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
But the show does! In that Sex Moves actually aren't about sex but about the results of intimacy, the moment after where the two characters look at each other and wonder "What Now?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mr. Maltose posted:

But the show does! In that Sex Moves actually aren't about sex but about the results of intimacy, the moment after where the two characters look at each other and wonder "What Now?"

And if somebody's the Mortal, the what now is "all hell breaks loose, because hey, you just triggered your lover's darkest and angriest instincts! Run!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And you probably did it on purpose, because The Mortal is the most monstrous playbook.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Davin Valkri posted:

Easy answer?

Also Hot Guys Making Out...

Say it loud! Say it proud!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Monsterhearts is an amazing game and it's pretty much required reading if you like *World style games, but I don't think I could ever actually play it. Especially at a table. :(

Yeah, I love reading PBP games but I could not sit across an actual table and play that game. I really wish I had rediscovered gaming and specifically storygames years ago. Most of my friends back then were actors and I suspect playing games like that with people actually schooled in improv would be amazing. Sadly these days they mostly all have kids/real jobs or are successful enough as actors that they would never have time to game.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

And you probably did it on purpose, because The Mortal is the most monstrous playbook.

gently caress it, I'm sold!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, I love reading PBP games but I could not sit across an actual table and play that game. I really wish I had rediscovered gaming and specifically storygames years ago. Most of my friends back then were actors and I suspect playing games like that with people actually schooled in improv would be amazing. Sadly these days they mostly all have kids/real jobs or are successful enough as actors that they would never have time to game.

If all else fails, lay on some food and drink and invite a few of those folks over for Fiasco.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Apocalypse World, since it's designed to not have a party at all. It works because of fiction comes first - you don't roll very often and there's very little maths to do to figure out a move.

Pretty much the only time I got the entire party together in one my Apocalypse World games, the game died shortly after

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Evil Sagan posted:

I never took a very close look at Monsterhearts. I always assumed it was for teenagers (not a bad thing) or for grown-ups who wanted to simulate teenage make-outs (not a good thing).

My quote about Monsterhearts when I'm describing to someone else who is generally familiar with RPGs but not MH is that I've never felt so much like a horrible, unclean monster as I did when playing MH. It's exactly the kind of emotionscape that WoD pretends to create, but instead fails completely at. Playing a Monsterhearts Ghoul remains, to date, the only time I had to x-card/safeword/veil/whatever the term is out of a scene description, directly requesting a cut to black instead.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's almost certainly because of my upbringing (Irish Catholic lol) but putting teenage romance in a game is Wrong and you're going to hell for it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

It's almost certainly because of my upbringing (Irish Catholic lol) but putting teenage romance in a game is Wrong and you're going to hell for it.

Thank you. Please be ashamed of yourselves, your feelings, and your bodies, especially when you're experiencing puberty but also when you're remembering puberty.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Okay, well, I think the creator of Monsterhearts is a cool person, but my experience playing the game has been really lovely. They just explode rapidly and horrifyingly (surprisingly, not my fault) or I don't really understand them (which is totally on me).
I know I shouldn't kink-shame, but I will say that the Chosen's Sex Move is still the silliest loving thing, though. Full heal, in an injury system that tracks all the way to "you should be in a hospital". It's also a giant distraction from actually creating a character.
Edit: I will say though that I liked how the mechanics encouraged extreme escalation and PvP fights in a way that seemed to make sense. Dropping strings, forwards, keep smacking the other person and go all in until everything blows up.

For an actual suggestion on queer games? I'm not sure, maybe Paranoia, 'cause of the idea that you have a dangerous secret and live in an unpleasant world filled with horrifyingly arbitrary punishments maps to the Closeted thing? :shrug:

I really would like to know who got me this sweet avatar setup, because I am totally compelled to make at least as large a donation to Something Awful, though coming up with a good :iceburn: is hard.

For reference, I'm assuming it's from the #badwrongfun discussion the other day about the Summertime game, which I didn't know was queer-themed, and I...well, the description is kind of bad in that it implies that you should be a sadomasochistic sociopath (or a Metal Gear character) because the massive trauma is what's keeping you from turning into a nature zombie...
Wait, this is like reverse :darksouls: isn't it? Slicing off small portions of your humanity to stave off the darkness? If that's Queer, Queer is way more metal than I though. Welp, I need to see about submitting, like, Jethro Tull to that game.

EDIT:
Also, what show is the picture from? It looks really familiar, but I don't know from where.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 25, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rockopolis posted:

EDIT:
Also, what show is the picture from? It looks really familiar, but I don't know from where.

The show is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 25, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Thank you. Please be ashamed of yourselves, your feelings, and your bodies, especially when you're experiencing puberty but also when you're remembering puberty.
Ha! I was already ashamed of my body and feelings before he said that.

Advantage, Evil Mastermind. :smug:

Rockopolis posted:

I know I shouldn't kink-shame,
Yet you powered through and did it anyway.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

well, the description is kind of bad in that it implies that you should be a sadomasochistic sociopath (or a Metal Gear character) because the massive trauma is what's keeping you from turning into a nature zombie...

Can you elaborate on this? I know the game is about trauma effectively separating you from the rest of humanity (and thus shielding you from The Call), but the whole "sadomasochistic sociopath"/Metal Gear character thing was apparently very lost on me.

Actually that term is pretty suspect. What does that mean?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Okay, well, I think the creator of Monsterhearts is a cool person, but my experience playing the game has been really lovely. They just explode rapidly and horrifyingly (surprisingly, not my fault) or I don't really understand them (which is totally on me).
I know I shouldn't kink-shame, but I will say that the Chosen's Sex Move is still the silliest loving thing, though. Full heal, in an injury system that tracks all the way to "you should be in a hospital". It's also a giant distraction from actually creating a character.
Edit: I will say though that I liked how the mechanics encouraged extreme escalation and PvP fights in a way that seemed to make sense. Dropping strings, forwards, keep smacking the other person and go all in until everything blows up.

For an actual suggestion on queer games? I'm not sure, maybe Paranoia, 'cause of the idea that you have a dangerous secret and live in an unpleasant world filled with horrifyingly arbitrary punishments maps to the Closeted thing? :shrug:

I really would like to know who got me this sweet avatar setup, because I am totally compelled to make at least as large a donation to Something Awful, though coming up with a good :iceburn: is hard.

For reference, I'm assuming it's from the #badwrongfun discussion the other day about the Summertime game, which I didn't know was queer-themed, and I...well, the description is kind of bad in that it implies that you should be a sadomasochistic sociopath (or a Metal Gear character) because the massive trauma is what's keeping you from turning into a nature zombie...
Wait, this is like reverse :darksouls: isn't it? Slicing off small portions of your humanity to stave off the darkness? If that's Queer, Queer is way more metal than I though. Welp, I need to see about submitting, like, Jethro Tull to that game.

EDIT:

Just, just stop posting about this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I lost an entire draft of a game I'm writing :negative:

Forums Terrorist posted:

Just, just stop posting about this.

This please.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Do you actually know any queer people? Have you ever even seen a queer person, or are they just some kind of weird zoo animal as far as you're concerned?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, hold on...

Rockopolis, do you think being homosexual is a kink?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Covok posted:

The show is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

Thanks, don't think I've ever seen it.

Evil Sagan posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I know the game is about trauma effectively separating you from the rest of humanity (and thus shielding you from The Call), but the whole "sadomasochistic sociopath"/Metal Gear character thing was apparently very lost on me.

Actually that term is pretty suspect. What does that mean?
Basically, if Trauma (which gets talked up as special) is what's keeping you alive, you can't afford to heal. If you do, you have to, well, unheal or else you'll zombify.
The next step, which is probably much more suitable for a villain NPC faction than a PC, is that if you want more than mere survival, if you want power, then you're going to have to start inflicting suffering upon others. Possibly to force them to fall in line, but definitely to keep them from heeding the Call.
The nature theme of the game plays into this as well. Nasty, brutish, and short, as the famous quote goes.

Hmm. At first I had thought this game had gently caress all to do with queer-ness, which made my new title confusing. If I take a little time to think about it, I begin to see it.
For me, the obvious aspect of queer-themes is that it's not really to do with sex, it's about fear and pain and suffering, an endless uphill battle against being hated and persecuted just because you're queer. Possibly with small moments of joy if you're truly lucky. Basically, "The world is an unbelievably cruel place, and if you're queer, it has an extra-large helping of cruelty and side dish of horrifying choices set aside just for you. You can face even more cruelty for trying to be what you are, or you can force yourself into being something you're not."
Similarly, choices which heap suffering on you no matter what you pick are also kind of queer themed to me.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, hold on...

Rockopolis, do you think being homosexual is a kink?
No. In that case the implication was that the kink was that that the character enjoyed sex with severely injured people or while severely injured. Possibly as a Florence Nightingale effect. I was worried it was too obvious of a joke. :engleft: Apparently, I didn't need to worry.
My traditional, more obvious, joke on the subject has been "Are you just happy to see me or oh my god is that a rib why is a rib sticking out of that?"

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 25, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Shut up.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

It works way better than I expected. I think the best description I've seen of it (probably somewhere on SA) was that it's a game about a bunch of kids who haven't matured enough to develop healthy ways to interact with the world around them. So you're engaging with sexuality at the table, but there's a really firm line of "what going on is unhealthy" between the players/characters that the whole creepy "getting too into it" issue that usually makes sex in RPGs a bad idea doesn't really show up. Just play it like you're directing an episode of Buffy and be liberal with the cut-aways and you're probably safe (as long as nobody at your table is a huge creep).

The biggest problem I had with it was that it's a pretty slow burn. I ran it as a one-shot and it was fun, but it felt like the first episode of a season of a TV show--setting up interesting things to happen later, but without too much of a pay-off. It wouldn't work too well as a year-spanning campaign, but you really need to play at least three sessions of it for things to build up tall enough to come crashing down satisfyingly enough.

Evil Sagan posted:

I've never heard of queer storygames before. What are some good ones?

This is kind of a complicated question, because 'what is a queer storygame' might have a couple of different valid answers. Like, Exalted features a lot of queer NPCs, but it's still fundamentally a game about winning via violence. The Quiet Year doesn't necessarily involve queer characters (I think? I need to play it, everything I've heard sounds really interesting), but it's all about a community coming together to solve social issues (rather than a rugged small band of individuals using force of arms to violence the world into looking the way they want it to). Are you talking about games that explicitly feature/encourage queer characters, or games that challenge the norms of RPGs by applying a queer mindset to them?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

OtspIII posted:

It works way better than I expected. I think the best description I've seen of it (probably somewhere on SA) was that it's a game about a bunch of kids who haven't matured enough to develop healthy ways to interact with the world around them. So you're engaging with sexuality at the table, but there's a really firm line of "what going on is unhealthy" between the players/characters that the whole creepy "getting too into it" issue that usually makes sex in RPGs a bad idea doesn't really show up. Just play it like you're directing an episode of Buffy and be liberal with the cut-aways and you're probably safe (as long as nobody at your table is a huge creep).

That's why the advanced moves that you can take at the usual "5 xp, nearing the end of the 'season'" things are called "growing up moves". They're explicitly different takes on the usual moves that are designed to emphasize maturity. So, for example, instead of just "shutting someone down" and making someone feel bad (and thereby assert your own social power over them), you can instead "call people on their poo poo", which has much different consequences.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OtspIII posted:

The biggest problem I had with it was that it's a pretty slow burn. I ran it as a one-shot and it was fun, but it felt like the first episode of a season of a TV show--setting up interesting things to happen later, but without too much of a pay-off. It wouldn't work too well as a year-spanning campaign, but you really need to play at least three sessions of it for things to build up tall enough to come crashing down satisfyingly enough.
Oh, I'm sure it's great in practice, I'd just be too embarrassed to play.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

OtspIII posted:

This is kind of a complicated question, because 'what is a queer storygame' might have a couple of different valid answers. Like, Exalted features a lot of queer NPCs, but it's still fundamentally a game about winning via violence. The Quiet Year doesn't necessarily involve queer characters (I think? I need to play it, everything I've heard sounds really interesting), but it's all about a community coming together to solve social issues (rather than a rugged small band of individuals using force of arms to violence the world into looking the way they want it to). Are you talking about games that explicitly feature/encourage queer characters, or games that challenge the norms of RPGs by applying a queer mindset to them?

Well mostly I was wondering which games were being referred to in Rockopolis' avatar caption, but learning more about Monster Hearts was a neat bonus and I'd say either of the interpretations you came up with would be interesting. Though I have to admit I'd be wary of any RPG that had any mechanics built explicitly around queer identities, just given the hobby community's track record.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Oui, had the worst GMing experience last night. Long story short, I should not have tried to run a game when I didn't feel up to it. It was so bad.

Best part: someone was streaming that poo poo show to the internet. Great.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So what happened that was so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

So what happened that was so bad?
Watch the stream to find out. It's all viral marketing for the stream.

• Locked thread