Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Plutonis posted:

I dunno but Ettin put it on the OP of last month thread and I was kinda disgusted because the only good Quest Thread that existed ever was Dorf Quest.

Huh, I was wondering if that was going to get mentioned. Hi, I wrote that.

But if you think Ruby Quest was bad you're just flat out wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Huh, I was wondering if that was going to get mentioned. Hi, I wrote that.

But if you think Ruby Quest was bad you're just flat out wrong.

The adventures of Beardbeard and Garelf were enjoyable, friend, and I indeed had a lot of fun participating from the audience and choosing what to do. [Voice's tone changes to really disdainful] Ruby was kind of... Meh, though.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So I've had kind of an idle thought sitting in my head today. Something you see in fiction is the idea of someone being Number One. Literally the best swordsman, or gunslinger, or whathaveyou in the goddamned world, that is nearly unchallengeable in their field and that "nearly" is only if you can make it one hell of an unfair fight.

The thing is, these folks are protagonists as much as they're antagonists. So the thought sits in my head. How would you design an RPG around the player/one of the players being literally Number One? What would you do differently, when so many normal RPGs are about the idea of mitigating the players' chances and pitting them as the underdog?

My vague thought was something involving the *World engine, but beyond its basic "play to find out what happens" mentality I'm genuinely not sure. What do you guys think?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Yalborap posted:

So I've had kind of an idle thought sitting in my head today. Something you see in fiction is the idea of someone being Number One. Literally the best swordsman, or gunslinger, or whathaveyou in the goddamned world, that is nearly unchallengeable in their field and that "nearly" is only if you can make it one hell of an unfair fight.

The thing is, these folks are protagonists as much as they're antagonists. So the thought sits in my head. How would you design an RPG around the player/one of the players being literally Number One? What would you do differently, when so many normal RPGs are about the idea of mitigating the players' chances and pitting them as the underdog?

My vague thought was something involving the *World engine, but beyond its basic "play to find out what happens" mentality I'm genuinely not sure. What do you guys think?

Amber :getin:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That is literally high-level Exalted play. Or Scion, if you took a primarily Dex-based build. It's kind of boring and fiddly. It turns out that once you're on top, the preferred strategy is to go even deeper into risk mitigation and crushing any potential opponents before they can realistically pose a threat.

much like capitalism

As a Marxist-Leninist-Gygaxist, I

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Asymmetrikon posted:

If you do want to run this month, please do; otherwise, I was gonna make April contest about RPGs specifically designed for play by PBP (since it's come up multiple times now, and PBP is obviously quite popular).

Looks like Evil Mastermind already jumped on the grenade, but I really want to see this contest.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I saw a thing a while back (I think it was on the Forge) called "the character sheet is the RPG", where the character contained the whole game, and nothing else was needed besides dice/playing cards/randomizer. Basically writing an RPG that's literally contained on one side of a sheet of paper.

So the idea was for a one-page RPG contest. You can slice the sheet up, make a pocketmod, one of those paper fortune teller, whatever, but everything: chargen, the character sheet, any GM stuff, and the setting has to fit onto one side of one sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper.

Not sure how much interest there'd be, though. The idea might be too limiting now that I think about it.

I'm in!

Asymmetrikon posted:

I know about the WTF contest, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on anyone else's toes 'cause I was planning on starting one.

If you do want to run this month, please do; otherwise, I was gonna make April contest about RPGs specifically designed for play by PBP (since it's come up multiple times now, and PBP is obviously quite popular).

I'm writing something along these lines as a general hack, would love to see how other people do it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Winson_Paine posted:

FINE.

I have a better idea anyway.
I swear to god if you send more threads to the blue place I will do absolutely nothing about it :argh:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So, is anyone going to PAX East? I've never been before, and my friends are trying to get me to run Dungeon World. I might be able to be convinced to run a goon game too. Any takers?

(Also, am I insane/blind or is there legit not a PAX East thread?)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, is anyone going to PAX East? I've never been before, and my friends are trying to get me to run Dungeon World. I might be able to be convinced to run a goon game too. Any takers?

I am, and I'll be working the Games on Demand table on Friday and Saturday (and maybe Sunday, depending).

At least, I will assuming I get my badge soon...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need to finish judging my contest entries :negative:

I swear life waited until I actually had an obligation to fulfill before piling a stack of bad on me :(

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If there's so much bad, shouldn't judging be easy?

Oooh I get to ask a convention question, anyone doing Gold Coast Supanova?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I've been looking over that Shadowfist/Feng Shui Apocalypse World hack (mentioned in last month's thread) and man, I love it! I think I like it even better than the idea of using FAE to run Feng Shui. I have no experience with Apocalypse Powered games, but I like what I see. Fronts are pretty cool too. Currently reading through that goon made Dungeon World GM Guide (which still seems 90-95% applicable) for a better idea of how things work.

My only complaint is that its missing a few of my favorite archetypes (Journalist, Masked Avenger, Velocity Addict). But making your own playbooks doesn't look too hard.

I want to run this. Too bad that is unlikely with IRL friends and my online group is currently experiencing severe scheduling issues in addition to having only recently started another game.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 3, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Xiahou Dun posted:

I thought about making a "Not-Gencon/local game convention" thread but I don't actually know anything about local conventions other than that they exist.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cassa posted:

If there's so much bad, shouldn't judging be easy?

No, he means his life is full of poo poo right now, not that all the games are bad.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I finished a PbP game! And it's like the third time I've done it*!

A young couple fell in love and a little girl got her wish. I like Golden Sky Stories. :unsmith:

*in the course of five-odd years

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

grassy gnoll posted:

It was great to see!... especially after the first GSS game died on the vine, despite our party art.

Calling a GSS group a "party" seems way more appropriate for that game than it does for D&D. :D

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Now run Everyone Is Goat.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

Now run Everyone Is Goatse.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Today is my birthday, and I am officially Old. :(

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Yawgmoth posted:

Happy birfday, you hoser!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Fine, I'll get off your dumb lawn. Happy birthday!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

grassy gnoll posted:

A young couple fell in love and a little girl got her wish. I like Golden Sky Stories. :unsmith:

*in the course of five-odd years

Tbqh that's a great completion rate

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Captain Foo posted:

Tbqh that's a great completion rate

It's the first game I've been in that's completed, though the first Tenra Bansho game I was in at least wrapped up the first adventure before flaking out in the second.

It's refreshing in the face of a lot of the straight-up flakin' I've been seeing lately. It's like dandruff with some GMs.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Hey remember 2 weeks ago how some SA posters did an Inverse World stream? Yeah we dont remember either. But apparently it was us.

And we are doing it again this week at 7-720pm cst.

http://www.twitch.tv/finiterespawn/ is the new channel. Feel free to stop by and watch us play dumb goon inspired elf games.

Edit: Also theres about a 75% chance of Madscientistworking trying to throw a rock at something in game. ( DID NOT DELIVER )

I put tonights stream on youtube for anyone who wants to watch.

Island Crash Episode 2: Shadows Part 1 Playlist

Island Crash Episode 2: Shadows Part 2 Playlist

Talkc fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 5, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a lot flakier of a GM than I want to be :(

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Talkc posted:

I put tonights stream on youtube for anyone who wants to watch.

Oh my God, you guys sound exactly like I wanted you to.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Gau posted:

Oh my God, you guys sound exactly like I wanted you to.

What did you want us to sound like? :ohdear:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OK gau what's with the new title

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I dunno man, I don't even post in E/N.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

holky poo poo

e: that's a really low effort title, even for someone who despise those like me

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Xiahou Dun posted:

For some reason Con Talk has never proliferated here much--it could be a function of 90% of us being hideous monsters chained in abandoned basements, or what have you. But if you are all about PAX East you should definitely start a thread, because I got sick of seeing minimal/nonexistent Gen-Con threads every year and just declared myself Gen Con Master last year, discovering indeed that If You Post It, They Will Reply.

Bucnasti posted:

I thought about making a "Not-Gencon/local game convention" thread but I don't actually know anything about local conventions other than that they exist.
And the hilarious thing is that we had exactly this thread, and I thought it was a great resource and enjoyed it ... and it got so little attention that it is now in the archives. It seems like threads have to be about a specific convention (and a popular one, at that) to get any traction. But I would strongly support anyone's effort to build another such thread. It is hard enough to actually get a reasonably comprehensive listing of gaming conventions as-is. And for those of us who are the sort of people who somehow live on both coasts and the middle of the USA in the span of a single year, this information is vital!!!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So ICONS Team-Up, a GMS product set to release in October 2011, finally came out in PDF format and last year and is expected to ship in print any day now! :toot:

... Or was. Unfortunately Cubicle 7 can't afford to do the promised print version and GMS can't do POD without redoing the layout, so that's been cancelled. Instead, anyone who pre-ordered the print version gets back the difference... in credit for Adamant products! Save on Far West! :woop:

ICONS TEAM-UP: IN MEMORIAM

quote:

Still on schedule for November, yes.

- GMS, September 2011

quote:

The PDF will be available (and sent to pre-order customers and the printer)before Christmas.

- December 2011

quote:

Sorry I've been so out of touch -- things are way, way busy here and Adamant is basically a one-man operation plus freelancers, which means that things tend to bottleneck when they get to me. Add that to the issues we had with our print-partners that needed resolution, and the amount of work on FAR WEST (the overwhelming success of the Kickstarter meant that there was literally 3 to 4 times as much stuff to do as we were expecting), and things have really piled up.

TEAM-UP is nearly done. I hope to release it in the coming week.

- February 2012

quote:

By the end of March.

- March 2012

quote:

Here's the tl;dr version: ICONS TEAM-UP is going direct-only, rather than through distribution, and as such we're going to keep the pre-order open until April 15th. Customers will get the PDF when we send to the printer that week.

- March 2012

quote:

I'm expecting to deliver PDFs in no more than two weeks.

- April 2012

quote:

Perspective, kids. It's not just for representing relative distances in two-dimensional images anymore!

Yes, things are late. Life happens.

Team-Up will be out in June.

- May 2012

quote:

Yes, TEAM-UP appeared in a list of projects that I'll have done by the end of August.However, it will be the first of them that will be completed -- in the next week or so. You won't have to wait until August.

- July 2012

quote:

Nothing quite so career-affirming as people complaining about late releases when you're sick as hell.

- September 2012

quote:

Adamant will send out the PDF and Print copies to pre-order customers, and then Ad Infinitum will be handling the general release after that.

You should expect them in the coming week.

- September 2012

quote:

ICONS TEAM-UP *will* go to Steve this week for his approval. I'll drop everything else to make sure that happens. You've all waited long enough.

- November 2012

quote:

It will go out this week. Family stuff interfered with my earlier plan.

By way of explanation for the major part of the delay on this book: When we parted ways with a team member earlier this year, a shared folder (on Dropbox) was deleted -- unfortunately it was one being *hosted* by this person, and so when Dropbox synced, it deleted the folder on my machine as well. This folder contained the project files, including the nearly-completed layout. Since that time, I've been rebuilding it, using the copies of the artwork that I still had in another location from when Dan had sent them to me, copies of Steve's portion of the manuscript that he had emailed to me, and (this has been the time-consuming part) re-writing my material from scratch, since the manuscript had been in that folder.

So yes, slow-going.... especially on top of the earlier delays. 2012 has been far from my proudest moment.

I'll do everything I can to restore faith in 2013.

- December 2012

quote:

Team-Up will be available in print for the folks that pre-ordered it.

- April 1, 2013

quote:

Contract signed, licensed secured -- TEAM-UP will be released by Adamant this month as an officially-licensed ICONS product, including a release for general sale after delivery to pre-order customers.

- July 2013

quote:

You'll have it by July 31st.

- July 2013

quote:

ICONS TEAM-UP should be ready for digital delivery at some point tomorrow.

For non pre-order customers, the PDF will be available for general sale next week. The book goes to print after we're back from GenCon.

- July 31, 2013

quote:

I can report that a complete ICONS Team-Up PDF is sitting on my hard-drive and that I have looked it over and given Gareth the thumbs-up to proceed.

- Steve Kenson, August 2013

quote:

It should be shipping soon.

- GMS, November 2013

quote:

So at this point, I’m cancelling the print edition of ICONS TEAM-UP. Each of you will be credited the difference in price between the price quoted for the print version and the price of the digital edition you have received. That credit can be used on any Adamant Entertainment product you want, including our forthcoming ICONS COMPATIBLE licensed releases.

- April 2014

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Stay classy GMS.

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012
Sorry I took your money everybody, but here's a bunch of FarWest FunBux for your loss! Hope you guys like MARS!

e: So of course he's begging for these people to pay his medicals bills too.

Karma to Burn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 6, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
"It would be awesome if game designers with high-profile public reps for whining about other game designers/everything else had more actual game designs."

"When they’re known more for petulant behavior than designing, it makes me wonder if they’re in the right job."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

So ICONS Team-Up, a GMS product set to release in October 2011, finally came out in PDF format and last year and is expected to ship in print any day now! :toot:
I'm surprised he didn't manage to wedge a slam on RPGNet in there somewhere.

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm surprised he didn't manage to wedge a slam on RPGNet in there somewhere.

Gareth M. Skarka ‏@gmskarka Apr 4
…you’ll have more info then, once I’ve got recovery behind me. I’d ask you to hold off on typical RPGNet hate-fest until then, but… nah.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More
1:55 PM - 4 Apr 2014 · Details

I mean, Skarka could be understanding about this, but... nah.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
GMS is the gift that keeps on (not) giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

REO Speedial posted:

Gareth M. Skarka ‏@gmskarka Apr 4
…you’ll have more info then, once I’ve got recovery behind me. I’d ask you to hold off on typical RPGNet hate-fest until then, but… nah.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More
1:55 PM - 4 Apr 2014 · Details

I mean, Skarka could be understanding about this, but... nah.
Welp.

Seriously, he should be grateful RPGNet exists because it gives him such an easy way to deflect blame or criticism away from himself.

• Locked thread