Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I guess this means we're not doing Anti-Grog April this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

I swear to god I will ban everyone
What? What did I do? :(

fake edit: I have an idea for a contest but I have no idea what to do as a prize. Plus that would require me to judge entries and do work and stuff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Talkc posted:

I knew MSW's posting history would finally catch up with him!

I just never knew it would take us all with it. :ohdear:

I'm just more amazed it took this long for it to happen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

What's your idea?

I saw a thing a while back (I think it was on the Forge) called "the character sheet is the RPG", where the character contained the whole game, and nothing else was needed besides dice/playing cards/randomizer. Basically writing an RPG that's literally contained on one side of a sheet of paper.

So the idea was for a one-page RPG contest. You can slice the sheet up, make a pocketmod, one of those paper fortune teller, whatever, but everything: chargen, the character sheet, any GM stuff, and the setting has to fit onto one side of one sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper.

Not sure how much interest there'd be, though. The idea might be too limiting now that I think about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

This seems pretty interesting as a concept!

You know what? I'll put together an OP and post it tonight or tomorrow. I may even know what the ~~MYSTERY PRIZES~~ will be (if I can get them in time).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gau posted:

There was already a two-page game contest and it was pretty awesome. One page seems like it would be taking it a bit too far.

Too late. Contest thread is up. Please validate my existence post and enter!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, is anyone going to PAX East? I've never been before, and my friends are trying to get me to run Dungeon World. I might be able to be convinced to run a goon game too. Any takers?

(Also, am I insane/blind or is there legit not a PAX East thread?)
I am, and I'll be working the Games on Demand table on Friday and Saturday (and maybe Sunday, depending).

At least, I will assuming I get my badge soon...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

So ICONS Team-Up, a GMS product set to release in October 2011, finally came out in PDF format and last year and is expected to ship in print any day now! :toot:
I'm surprised he didn't manage to wedge a slam on RPGNet in there somewhere.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

REO Speedial posted:

Gareth M. Skarka ‏@gmskarka Apr 4
…you’ll have more info then, once I’ve got recovery behind me. I’d ask you to hold off on typical RPGNet hate-fest until then, but… nah.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More
1:55 PM - 4 Apr 2014 · Details

I mean, Skarka could be understanding about this, but... nah.
Welp.

Seriously, he should be grateful RPGNet exists because it gives him such an easy way to deflect blame or criticism away from himself.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

It was less that he accused Evil Hat of a conspiracy so much as he called people who thought that Fred Hicks' good customer service and generally decent behavior was anything more than a ploy to separate them from their nerdbucks a bunch of saps. In GMS-land the only reason you ever aren't an rear end in a top hat to someone is because you want them to give you money.
Or you're a "college liberal", i.e. actually concerned with social justice or outraged by things he isn't outraged about. He hates those too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think the closest Skarka has come to real self-awareness is his anger at the whole idea of "gatekeeping" the hobby because he knows that if people did it, he wouldn't be allowed in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Most game designers and companies are pretty cool. They kind of range between the clueful and the clueless as far as PR blunders go, but most of them aren't outright assholes. It's the terrible fuckers that make the most noise and that attract our attention, I like to think.
And still get a bunch of followers who'll keep them convinced that it's everyone else who's the assholes, not them. Or will at least not call them out on the behavior. :sigh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hasn't come out yet, and has been silent since October or so.

e: Well, poo poo. Forgot to look at the next page.

The Stab City guy was a goon, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

He went by AssumeThisIsReal, yes.

I'm sure this brings back memories.

More like flashbacks, but yes. So thanks for that. :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, to be fair there's plenty of gaming kickstarters that haven't had tons of issues. It's just that the failures tend to be HUGE failures so they stand out more, regardless of who's involved and whether or not they're tied to SA.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cairn was an amazing flameout.

Everything Nystul had going was amazing, really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The prize for next month's contest should be getting to pick Gau's next custom title and avatar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Origin Award Nominees are up.

quote:

Best Roleplaying Game
13th Age – Pelgrane Press
FATE Core System – Evil Hat Productions, LLC
Mummy: the Curse – White Wolf Game Studio
Numenera - Monte Cook Games
Shadowrun: Core Rulebook – Catalyst Game Labs

Best Roleplaying Supplement
DC Adventures Universe – Green Ronin Publishing
Heart of the Wild – Cubicle 7 Entertainment
Transhuman – Posthuman Studios
Night’s Watch – Green Ronin Publishing
Eternal Lies – Pelgrane Press

Best Board Game
Trains – Alderac Entertainment Group
Time n Space – Stronghold Games
Space Cadet: Dice Duel – Stronghold Games
Krosmaster Arena – Japanime Games
City of Iron – Red Raven Games

Best Collectible Card Game
Pokemon Black & White -Legendary Treasures – The Pokemon Company, Intl.
Pokemon Red Genesect Collection – The Pokemon Company, Intl.
Yu-Gi-Oh! Battle Pack 2 – Konami Digital Entertainment
Yu-Gi-Oh! Super Starter V for Victory – Konami Digital Entertainment
Yu-Gi-Oh! Legendary Collection 4: Joey’s World – Konami Digital Entertainment

Best Traditional Card Game
Love Letter– Alderac Entertainment Group
DC Comics Deck-Building Game – Cryptozoic Entertainment
Boss Monster - Brotherwise Games
Clubs – North Star Games
Marvel Legendary: Dark City - Upper Deck

Best Children’s, Family, Party Game
Walk the Plank – Mayday Games
Three Little Pigs – Iello
My Happy Farm – 5th St. Games
ROFL – Cryptozoic Entertainment
Choose One! – Looney Labs

Best Game Accessory
Krosmaster: Fire & Ice – Japanime Games
Shadowrun GM Screen – Catalyst Game Labs
Fate Dice – Evil Hat Productions, LLC
Space Gaming Mat – HC+D Supplies
Pathfinder Battles: Skull and Shackles – WizKids Games

Best Miniature Figure Rules
Marvel HeroClix: Avengers Vs X-men Starters – WizKids Games
Battletech Alpha Strike – Catalyst Game Labs
Judge Dredd – Warlord Games

Best Historical Miniature Figure/Line
Fife & Drum: Revolutionary War -– Fife & Drum
Highlander Force – North Star Military Figures
Fate of a Nation: Arab Israeli Wars – Battlefront Miniatures
Red Army: 28mm Russian Infantry – Wargames Factory
Devil Dogs and Dragons – Empress Miniatures

Best Historical Board Game
SOS Titanic – Ludonaute
Navajo Wars – GMT, designed by: Joel Toppen
Freedom: The Underground Railroad – Academy Games
1775: Rebellion – Academy Games
Francis Drake – Eagle Games

Best Historical Miniature Rules Supplements
SAGA: Varjazi & Basileus – Gripping Beast
Flames of War: Fate of a Nation – Battlefront Miniatures
Force on Force: Classified – Osprey Publishing

Best Historical Miniature Rules
Fields of Fire 2nd Edition – Proving Ground Games
Fire and Sword – Wargamer
Chain of Command –Too Fat Ladies

Best Miniature Figure Line
Malifaux: The Guild’s Judgement– Wyrd Miniatures
HeroClix: Wolverine and the X-men – WizKids Games
MERCs Mini’s (Shock Trooper, Spy, Eagle, Beacher) – MegaCon Games

Best Game Related Publication
Khan of Mars – Evil Hat Books
Fire for Effect – Catalyst Game Labs
ICv2 - Editor: Milton Griepp
Dork Tower – Editor: John Kovalic
TableTop – Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day

While I'm not surprised that there's no D&D on there, I am surprised there's only one Pathfinder book up for nomination.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Carteret posted:

Yeah, I don't understand how you get 3 Yugioh and 2 Pokemon, and no Magic? Does Origin just hate big companies?
I dunno, I like that WotC and Paizo are kind of ignored in lieu of everyone else. Gives them a chance to shine in a larger audience.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It was kind of a dull year for new releases, wasn't it?

I'm not shocked that Numenera is there simply because it's the latest gasp of d20.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm at PAX East running games on demand, and one of my Dungeon World players just asked me to sign his book! :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of MMOs, what's the latest on the Pathfinder MMO? Has there been anything since that video a few months back?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

TABLETOP SIMULATOR.

It's coming out in like, less than a week.
Finally, a virtual tabletop I can flip when my character dies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I may have just seen the most mind-boggling reason for not wanting to buy an RPG that the person is really interested in: "It's not available in hardcover".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh no, see, he only buys hardcovers. The game in question is Dungeon World, which is available in both softcover and PDF, but he's apparently not happy that the hardcover was only for KS backers. Because no matter how much he likes the game, he only buys hardcovers. :shrug:

Although how he can say that (in a DW community no less) and not expect people to roll their eyes is beyond me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

I smell an arbitrage moment. Sell him one from your "personal collection" for $200+ or whatever amount lets you make a tidy profit.

I'm not selling my signed hardcover. I even bought an extra (softcover) copy so I wouldn't wear out my "good" copy.

I am a turbonerd.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

I see now why you two are acquainted.

I meant make a hardcover and sell it to him. Some print shops can actually make cheap glue-bound hardcovers in a variety of sizes.
Not so much "acquainted" as "he came into my G+ thread (in the DW community) about how awesome DW is, complained about not being able to get the book because it's always sold out, then when it was pointed out that he could get it now complained that it wasn't a hardcover because he only buys hardcovers and Fate Core was a $25 and <fart noise>".

And let's be honest here...you know he's the type who would utterly balk at not getting an offical hardcover copy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

And that's why you tell him it is an official hardcopy :cheers:
Pricing it would be hard because he just revealed he feels $25 is too much for a non-hardcover.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

Work on your upsale; "Pressed from the heart of the last Dryad of the Sahara Forest, this hard cover and its pages are bound with the last magics of a dying forest so they are 100% water and stain resilient"

Then I mail him a 3.0 PHB with the title crossed out and "DungeON WolrD" written on a piece of electrical tape on the cover.

e: I think I just figured out what one of the prizes for this month's contest will be... :getin:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 18, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm pretty sure this would count as a human rights violation.
Eh, I unloaded all my 3.X stuff a while ago. I needed to make room for the other game books I buy and never play. :smithicide:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I know that "run it in FATE" is practically a meme around here by now but Feng Shui is the one game I would unhesitatingly recommend that someone run in FATE instead. The resolution system is almost FATE-esque anyway (d6 minus d6, add the result to a skill number and compare to a difficulty) except it has exploding dice which can cause the results to skew all over the place, and for a game as high-flying and crazy as it aims to be it's just a bit too fiddly in places (there's a gun stunt that lets you never have to reload...but you have to buy it three times to get to that point, stuff like that).

Archetypes and Melodramatic Hooks essentially translate 1-1 with High Concepts and Troubles, and I feel like FATE's system of creating aspects works better as far as encouraging the players to do all sorts of crazy stuff to the environment and their opponents than Feng Shui's own stunt guidelines which were pretty awesome for the time the game came out in 1996 but essentially boil down to "don't penalize players for describing things in a cool way."
When the DFRPG came out, one of the first things I did was start working on a Feng Shui hack since aspects, stunts, and creature powers did like half the work for me.

Seriously, I'd kill for a Fate Core Feng Shui game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What about Car Chases? :colbert:

Each car is made up of two zones (inside, hanging on outside), and the road between each car is a separate zone you don't want to end up in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Dungeon World for fantasy. Maybe for sci-fi too, depending on how hard your sci-fi is too :science:
I'm still pretty surprised that nobody's made a sci-fi PbtA game yet.

Speaking of DW, I started listening to the One Shots podcast today, where they were playing DW and holy poo poo I need to up my GMing game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

The One Shots podcast is a great example of GMs playing fast and loose with the rule systems to make for a more interesting story.
I will admit that every time he used a move wrong I got a little twitchy but I managed to keep it under control.

(Seriously, dude, they give you a sheet with all the moves spelled out on it)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

What kind of sci-fi though :v:
Don't get me started on describing my dream sci-fi RPG.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Get started :munch:

Basically, this is what I want:

A sci-fi game designed around sandbox/hexcrawl play with an element of "domain management". The characters are the main crew of a ship (or head ship of a fleet) that for whatever reason has no home planet. Maybe the origin planet has been destroyed by an alien threat and now humanity is forced to explore the outer galaxy before we're ready, maybe the players' ship got Farscape'd to some unknown galaxy, whatever. The game would revolve around a combination of exploration (discovering new planets/races/cultures), resource management (you need fuel to keep the ship running, you need to keep everyone fed, etc.), keeping people happy so they don't revolt (for the managing a fleet thing), and forging your own path in an unknown galaxy (starting a trading fleet, working as mercs, and so on).

Basically a cross between new Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, that "Hulks and Horrors" sci-fi dungeoncrawling OSR game, and FTL.

I actually forgot that I started something on this theme for an old design contest. It was indeed PbtA, and the game would start with the crew of the ship waking up from cryosleep, and discovering three things from the main computers: this region of space doesn't match any known star charts, the ship's almost out of power, and there's an unknown space station nearby. I also had something in place so every character would have a Secret; you're a government agent hunting one of the other characters, you committed some heinous crime back home, you're a synthetic human or were genetically engineered, whatever. These would tie in to the relationship mechanic with would be based on Trust.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really want to play Torchbearer someday. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Monsterhearts is an amazing game and it's pretty much required reading if you like *World style games, but I don't think I could ever actually play it. Especially at a table. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like to think that Monsterhearts lures people with the idea of teenage romance how we want to remember it (hot and sexy and intense) and when you start playing you realize that it's teenage romance the way it really was (confusing and humiliating and intense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

Thank you. Please be ashamed of yourselves, your feelings, and your bodies, especially when you're experiencing puberty but also when you're remembering puberty.
Ha! I was already ashamed of my body and feelings before he said that.

Advantage, Evil Mastermind. :smug:

Rockopolis posted:

I know I shouldn't kink-shame,
Yet you powered through and did it anyway.

• Locked thread