Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Joe Rogans podcast with Steve Maxwell was good for Gracie stories, general mma talk, and Joe Rogan insinuating that there are notable UFC fighters on EPO. Theres only like twenty minutes of dumb Joe Rogan Profound bullshit to skip. About milk and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Thauros posted:

Goddamn, I can't loving wait for this. I admit I don't really know to what extent Wandy's playing along to hype the fight vs. actually being pissed, but that's what makes it fun.

He's not playing along. He confronted Chael before they had a fight scheduled years ago. If you watch TUF Brazil you can tell it isn't an act at all. Also as I said this video pointing out how Chael has been "racist" towards Brazil has conveniently come out after Wanderlei attacked Chael on set (for the pride of Brazil) and a lot fans in Brazil turned on him. He's frankly too dumb to be playing the game. At best he's creating hype inadvertently at worst this is a literal mock political hitpiece with him going on a monologue at the end in sad attempt to get some Brazilian fans back after he's looked like a complete idiot on TV.

e-

Bundt Cake posted:

Joe Rogans podcast with Steve Maxwell was good for Gracie stories, general mma talk, and Joe Rogan insinuating that there are notable UFC fighters on EPO. Theres only like twenty minutes of dumb Joe Rogan Profound bullshit to skip. About milk and stuff.

Cool. It seems like it's been months since he's had on an MMA guy let alone someone who isn't batshit crazy or into joe's new weird hobbies. I kinda gave up on paying attention as to who's on, I though it was gonna be the "raw milk, bow hunting, psychadelics and the internet will save the world" podcast from now on.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 30, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

obeyasia posted:

How dumb would it be to grab his wrist and kick the ribs?

Rashad did some wrist-grabbing in their fight and got elbowed in the mouth for his trouble.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog posted:

Rashad did some wrist-grabbing in their fight and got elbowed in the mouth for his trouble.

Yeah part of his success with that is not just his long arms, but the fact that if you try to commit your own hands to grabbing his wrist and doing anything with it he can move in and elbow you while you aren't in a position to defend. I do wonder if anyone could train some bullshit flying armbar from that position, especially after Vitor almost got Jones to tap with an armbar by pulling guard. That would be some Ryo Chonan type of nonsense though and we'll likely never see it in this tragic post-PRIDE era we live in :japan:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Oh yeah, those were pretty cool actually.

"Hey look, I have hands!"
"Well so do I- urrrgg"

edit: And

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Disgusting Coward posted:

Reminder that Michael "The Count" Bisping literally gouged Alan Belcher's eye literally out of his head and was literally rewarded with a literal win.

Also that Michael "The Count" Bisping literally cheated to beat a 40 year old Jorge Rivera and was literally rewarded with a literal win.

Both of whom are awful people.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's obvious that Jones' phone was hacked once again

mewse
May 2, 2006

MycroftXXX posted:

Here are some gifs I found...

Shogun
Rampage
Gus
Rashad
Machida

He likes to use his reach to rake his fingers over a fighters face as they come forward which leads to a lot of eye pokes (unless you're Rampage, in which case he's going to eyepoke you just because).

Uggghhh I hope they change the glove design or something, that crap is awful

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mewse posted:

Instead of changing the glove design the refs could actively do something about it or his opponents could start shouting "Hey ref, this guy has his fingers out in front of my face, have him close those fists!"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

mewse posted:

They should just actually deduct points off the fucker early and often. If they don't, which they don't, they really just need to tweak the rules because one complete rear end in a top hat is gaming the system in an unforeseen way a la Sean Avery in the NHL.

e- People have complained to refs in the past to no avail.

mewse
May 2, 2006

They should put Jones hands into big foam mittens IMO

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Dan Miragliotta literally has a mixed track record with not actively poking fighters in the eye during fights himself. I'd love for refs to be much more proactive too, but the idea of a guy like that being capable and bold enough to stop Jon's just short of brazen cheating is insane.

Pretty sure he was the same ref who tolerated Silva hiding behind him during the maia fight too. He may not be aware that he's allowed to take points.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

I hope if Gus gets eye-poked and the ref ignores it, then he just pokes him right back. If Bones has a problem with that, then he's got a problem with the Bible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

outy posted:

I hope if Gus gets eye-poked and the ref ignores it, then he just pokes him right back. If Bones has a problem with that, then he's got a problem with the Bible.

That's what made the Koscheck/Rumble fight a classic.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

outy posted:

lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Jones pokes Gus, ref gives warning. Gus then pokes Jones and gets a point deducted for retaliation.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't think poking Jones would work. At the first poke I'd bet he'd fall over and say he couldn't fight anymore. He keeps the belt. He would absolutely do this, and then laugh about it later.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

inignot posted:

Grab his forearm with both hands, pin his palm/splayed fingers against your forehead, then sprawl.

I like where this is going.

Count Roland posted:

I don't think poking Jones would work. At the first poke I'd bet he'd fall over and say he couldn't fight anymore. He keeps the belt. He would absolutely do this, and then laugh about it later.

Or have all of his opponents do this in the first round until no one respects his ability to fight and no one buys his PPVs anymore. If he ain't drawing, Dana will find a way to release him. This is a dumb fantasy that will never happen.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I dunno if it's time for this, but I propose UFC May -- Blanka vs. Guile

e: I'm dumb and don't know when fights are happening.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Count Roland posted:

or we get Alexander Gustafsson d. Jon Jones TKO (eye injury)

outy
Aug 27, 2004

UFC May: Immortal Combate

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
UFC May - "They will lose now and won't have any excuses" - Vitor BelforTRT

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Looking at the actual lineups for May, it is one violent drug addict and a fuckload of Brazilians.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

inignot posted:

Grab his forearm with both hands, pin his palm/splayed fingers against your forehead, then sprawl.

Very dangerous once his hips pass over his opponent's head.

UFC May: Out with a Bang

UFC May: Neil Magny is Still Employed

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
UFC May - How much fightpass can bundt watch?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

Featherweight veteran Cole Miller called for him, and on July 19th in Dublin, he will get his wish as he faces Irish phenom and hometown hero Conor McGregor in the UFC Fight Night main event at the O2 Arena.

Miller, who has won two straight over Andy Ogle and Sam Sicilia, has made no secret of his desire to fight the brash Irishman, and McGregor has eagerly accepted the challenge. Now it's up to the 25-year-old Dubliner to put it all on the line this summer as he looks to extend a UFC winning streak that has seen him turn back Marcus Brimage and Max Holloway en route to becoming the hottest prospect in the sport today.

:laffo:

Good on McGregor for talking his way into a headlining spot based on two UFC wins I guess.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Pshhhhh at this point he needs to give Max Holloway a rematch. Decent match up though, Cole's always dangerous and vulnerable and Nam Phan beat him standing so anything is possible really.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I mean I don't care about the shoulder crank thing

I would put that move in the same category as stuff like foot stomps or blocking up a guy's mouth with your hands from the top position, in that it's not clean but I'm not sure it's that dirty, either. I think people might have reacted negatively to it because it just wasn't a context where they were used to seeing that happen. If Jones had caught Glover in a submission like a standing kimura, and Glover escaped but still got his shoulder tweaked, nobody would even question it.

quote:

but knowingly and repeatedly trying to rake your opponents eyes isn't really something people just 'complain' about and it's just an expression of the fact that well known and well liked fighters basically can ignore the rules because whatever bald white guy is reffing the fight is just going to yell 'hey close your hands last warning!' ninety times while Jon Jones jams his french manicured bitchtalons into his opponent's eyes. Jose Aldo was literally airborne and holding onto the fence like a looney tune and the ref saw fit to punish him by making a strange animal grunt at him.

I have to say messing with your opponents' eyes is on a whole different level from most of the dirty poo poo you see. Grabbing the shorts, grabbing the fence, low blows, and so forth are wrong, but eye injuries end careers. In any one of those gifs posted above, the fight could have ended with Jones's opponent half-blind and unwillingly retired. Poking another professional fighter in the eyes is a genuinely hosed-up thing to do. I'm glad that there's some controversy about it after this latest fight. I expect that if Jones faces Cormier he'll go to that technique constantly because he'll want to stay out of the pocket, and he'll have a pronounced height and reach advantage yet ago. Same for Hendo, in that eventuality.

obeyasia posted:

Or have all of his opponents do this in the first round until no one respects his ability to fight and no one buys his PPVs anymore. If he ain't drawing, Dana will find a way to release him. This is a dumb fantasy that will never happen.

Bring Gilbert Yvel out of retirement and have him dig one of JBJ's eyes out of the socket without warning, in the middle of the referee's instructions.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
drat it, I really wanted McGregor to fight Darren Elkins or some other grindy wrestler to see if he breaks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I think Cormier could present some actual problems for Jones based on my brain thoughts.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

EvanSchenck posted:

I would put that move in the same category as stuff like foot stomps or blocking up a guy's mouth with your hands from the top position, in that it's not clean but I'm not sure it's that dirty, either. I think people might have reacted negatively to it because it just wasn't a context where they were used to seeing that happen. If Jones had caught Glover in a submission like a standing kimura, and Glover escaped but still got his shoulder tweaked, nobody would even question it.

I have to say messing with your opponents' eyes is on a whole different level from most of the dirty poo poo you see. Grabbing the shorts, grabbing the fence, low blows, and so forth are wrong, but eye injuries end careers. In any one of those gifs posted above, the fight could have ended with Jones's opponent half-blind and unwillingly retired. Poking another professional fighter in the eyes is a genuinely hosed-up thing to do. I'm glad that there's some controversy about it after this latest fight. I expect that if Jones faces Cormier he'll go to that technique constantly because he'll want to stay out of the pocket, and he'll have a pronounced height and reach advantage yet ago. Same for Hendo, in that eventuality.

Bring Gilbert Yvel out of retirement and have him dig one of JBJ's eyes out of the socket without warning, in the middle of the referee's instructions.

just let him kickbox schilt. pull that poo poo now johnny

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Honestly considering how touchy Jon is and how he went HAM on Glover with clinch boxing just to prove a point I bet the next opponent could probably get him to stop if they just said he can't win without doing it. Say it with a little conviction and you're golden.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Jon Jones is actually a master of the venerable Wing Chun practice of Chi Sao. Hope now you all understand that Kung Fu is dominating the UFC.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I guess Mick Diaz vs. Cole Miller is the Dublin main event. Don't give a poo poo but hope Miller pulls it off.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
In a perfect world, Gus takes down Jones again and http://youtu.be/bo0PDYTJ5Z8

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
UFC May: 43 year old man vs Man with 43 year old kidneys

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Detroit_Dogg posted:

UFC May: 43 year old man vs Man with 43 year old kidneys

No Longer A Kid vs. No Longer A Kidney

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
UFC May: Pray For Hendo

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
Update on TUF 20: I don't wanna read to far into things but Justine Kish and Michelle Ould are certainly acting like they've made it onto TUF 20, not to mention Sean Shelby retweeted one of Kish's tweets, when he practically never, ever tweets about fighters.

This is contrast to comments like "I want to thank @ufc and @danawhite for the opportunity, time for me to fix my record for ya" which is roughly what Karina Taylor said.

Justine Kish (4-0) is a former Muay Thai world champion and a very high-caliber prospect, and was nicknamed "Robocop"... in Thailand. Her Muay Thai coach described her as "one of the sweetest and most humble girls you could meet." She also was an adopted Russian orphan who, according to a story in the Gaston Gazette, was helping out fellow orphans at the age of 4 prior to her adoption by a North Carolina couple.

Michelle "T-Cat" Ould (7-3, 2 NC) is a very talented Team Quest (SoCal) fighter and possibly racist (in the Tea Party-sense I guess), and has admitted to multiple stints in juvenile correctional facilities growing up in a very lovely sounding environment. She also was a single-parent mom of two kids before she started training. She is more than a little rough around the edges in general.

Again, Jessica Penne and Aisling Daly are basically locks are this point.

I haven't found enough to read heavily into anyone else's chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

but would they look better in glasses?

• Locked thread