Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Avshalom posted:

I don't even know what I was doing here. And yes I did construction lines, photo reference, all that poo poo. I wasn't going to post it but maybe someone will get some delight and consternation out of it.

It looks like you've got some Picasso-esque perspective going on, which can be cool. The nose looks like it's being seen in profile while the rest of the face is in 3/4 view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/VkvROvC.jpg :nws:

From a live drawing class, as well as a few heads.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Did you do all those heads in one sitting? I know I should do that kind of thing more often, but gently caress if I have the patience for it.

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

felat posted:

Did you do all those heads in one sitting? I know I should do that kind of thing more often, but gently caress if I have the patience for it.

Yeah, I just turned on the NBA playoffs and a couple hours later that's what I had. I'm new to drawing, so at the moment it's all about doing random repetitions to see if I really understand the construction. Maybe someday I'll just innately understand how everything is built (but probably not!).

Here's a few more quick figure drawings.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/YAKWHVI.jpg :nws:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 26, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I made an avatar for my 'games journalism' twitter account, with the illustrious GAMES JOURNALIST Sen Kuchaku with his GAMES JOURNALISM hat and after he has eaten his GAMES JOURNALISM doritos:-

https://twitter.com/Kuchakureport

(it's a parody twitter by the way.)

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Avshalom posted:

I don't even know what I was doing here. And yes I did construction lines, photo reference, all that poo poo. I wasn't going to post it but maybe someone will get some delight and consternation out of it.

The biggest thing I'm seeing is the head is very compressed front-to-back. The ear is supposed to be pretty far away from the front of the face, and a good way to keep this in mind is to pretend your drawing is wearing glasses. For example, note how much distance there is between the eye and the ear in this pic:

The face is turned a bit closer to the camera than yours, but the ear is still further. A rough rule to remember would be "chin to eye equals eye to ear".

For actual content, here's a WIP of my semifinal project in figure drawing class:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I drew the lock Ness monster

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012
Here's a drawing of Battle Angel Alita that I went ahead and done. It's from the cover art for 'the Sonic Finger'.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sorcery fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 24, 2014

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sorcery posted:

Here's a drawing of Battle Angel Alita that I went ahead and done. It's from the cover art for 'the Sonic Finger'.

That's a really great copy, but It looks pretty much exactly like the original, while not necessarily a bad thing it's not really good either. I think it'd be a lot more interesting if you reimagined it somehow. Looking at your tumblr, you certainly have some drawing talent, and I feel like it's wasted just copying someone else's work.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Work for my upcoming card game, Final Attack!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

dog nougat posted:

That's a really great copy, but It looks pretty much exactly like the original, while not necessarily a bad thing it's not really good either. I think it'd be a lot more interesting if you reimagined it somehow. Looking at your tumblr, you certainly have some drawing talent, and I feel like it's wasted just copying someone else's work.

Actually copying other people's work is a pretty great way to improve. In fact, doing master studies has been de rigueur for art students for centuries. Just don't try to pass it off as an original, I guess.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am drawing eagleheads again.

I used charcoal sticks for once to draw my gryphons, came out better then I expected. Also, the colors propably won't stick once I actually get to drawing them.

Took me barely an hour to make the whole thing. Thats a plus.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
A piece from the other day brush and ink with watercolor.

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

Another day, another set of head construction practice. It's pretty aggravating how I continue to make obvious perspective mistakes when I'm actively trying not to. I keep catching myself doing something wrong, but then make the same mistake later. Hopefully that will get cleaned up over time. I'm going to a live drawing thing tonight (my second ever!) so we'll see what comes out of that.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Finally back to drawing after a week away. I loving hate when I get too busy to draw. Drawing is an even harder habit to maintain than working out!

HottiePippen posted:

Another day, another set of head construction practice. It's pretty aggravating how I continue to make obvious perspective mistakes when I'm actively trying not to. I keep catching myself doing something wrong, but then make the same mistake later. Hopefully that will get cleaned up over time. I'm going to a live drawing thing tonight (my second ever!) so we'll see what comes out of that.

As a fellow student of Loomis, while my hat's off to you for your prolific output, I think you're working too small and not measuring enough. Actually take that pencil and measure out those intervals. Until you measure, assume nothing is the length that you think it is. I didn't really improve until I surrendered myself to pencil-measuring and just decided not to go with my gut until I practiced a lot more. In fact, I seldom go with my gut now.

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012
I tried drawing Jude Law but I couldn't quite capture his likeness. It looks like I've made his face way too broad and maybe screwed up the perspective. I'm not really sure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sorcery posted:

I tried drawing Jude Law but I couldn't quite capture his likeness.

For what it's worth, I recognized him instantly. It does look a bit wonky, but I think that might be more because it's a photograph (right?) rather than a scan.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

WIP, forest demon.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Avshalom posted:

I'm personally happy that you posted it and I hope that you continue posting (because it means you're keeping up with practice!).

Watching some of the regulars in here improve on their work is my favorite part of this thread.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Sorcery posted:

I tried drawing Jude Law but I couldn't quite capture his likeness. It looks like I've made his face way too broad and maybe screwed up the perspective. I'm not really sure.

Possibly, too broad, but (possibly as a consequence) the eyes are too large, and too far apart, while the nose and the mouth are too small relatively. So he's a bit of an alien. :) Also you could say you squished up the lower half of the face.

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

CloseFriend posted:

As a fellow student of Loomis, while my hat's off to you for your prolific output, I think you're working too small and not measuring enough. Actually take that pencil and measure out those intervals. Until you measure, assume nothing is the length that you think it is. I didn't really improve until I surrendered myself to pencil-measuring and just decided not to go with my gut until I practiced a lot more. In fact, I seldom go with my gut now.

Ah, that's a great call, that would definitely make it more immediately obvious when something is off. I'm going to do that next time, thanks for the advice.

I signed up for a live drawing thing yesterday; here are some of the results (these ones are 20 minutes each). It's crazy how much better these came out... these look pretty decent, whereas my random doodles usually look hilariously terrible. I guess the moral of the story is that using references is... helpful?
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/TJHwyFe.jpg http://i.imgur.com/AVjnlOt.jpg :nws:

MODEDIT: PLEASE TAG AND LINK NWS DRAWINGS!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 26, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Has anyone ever done collaborative drawing? I was thinking about the next time I'm hanging out with some people who draw, we could do exercises like:

- Write a caption, or speech bubble(s). Swap papers and illustrate.
- Draw half of an animal. Swap papers and finish the one you get.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

When I was in school, I used to play a bit of a game where the drawing would start out as a simple standard smiley face. One person adds whatever element they choose, like sunglasses, eyepatch, mustache, etc, then they hand the drawing to the next person, who adds what they want to the drawing, and then they pass it on. A small group of people can create pretty... interesting drawings pretty quickly that way.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Oh, that sounds like a fun one. I'll try to post the results when this happens.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So my character design teacher hate my junk. Advice?:

My chubby little lady. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Das Boo posted:

So my character design teacher hate my junk.

Did your teacher say anything specific? Were there guidelines for this project?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phylodox posted:

Did your teacher say anything specific? Were there guidelines for this project?

Pretty much you get a pitch and spend the term developing characters around the idea. His complaint was that my designs lacked identity and that you couldn't get a sense of who they were by looking at them. So rather than explain this particular character and her function, I suppose the best route would be to ask strangers what they can gather from what I've got! :)
(And to be fair, I had no outfit designs for them when he made the comment.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, it is kind of a busy design. Her outfit suggests maybe some kind of monk, while the stitches and what looks like a giant monster arm make me think she's a Frankenstein. She looks to be wearing a...I wanna say a conch shell on her hip? Her expression and the out thrust fist suggest that she's some kind of happy-go-lucky fighter type. I mean...I guess you can kind of infer some things from the image, but it kind of seems more of a collection of characteristics rather than a unified character. I don't know if that makes sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I guess that's what I'm struggling with. I'm not certain how to make the design unified when the outfit is composed of scavenged parts. the only thing off the the Frankenstein's monster bit, so I can ditch the stitch...ing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I guess that's what I'm struggling with. I'm not certain how to make the design unified when the outfit is composed of scavenged parts. the only thing off the the Frankenstein's monster bit, so I can ditch the stitch...ing.

What about the giant monster arm with the arrows sticking out of it? If anything I'd lead in with that because I feel like you're hiding a huge detail in the shadows.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

al-azad posted:

What about the giant monster arm with the arrows sticking out of it? If anything I'd lead in with that because I feel like you're hiding a huge detail in the shadows.

Both her arms are monster arms, but I could toss in an arrow into the forward-facing one.
I should also add that we've yet to do character turnarounds. This is just an image meant to help us solidify identity.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I'd bring the more obviously monster arm (edited that in after I saw your post) to the front, maybe add some more prominent stitches (face, maybe?), and make the clothing look less monk-ish and more...hobo-ish? The wrapped ankle and exposed (less-monstery)arm/breast are what's making it look like a monk outfit to me. You could always go old-school and add a furry vest. Nothing screams "Frankenstein!" like a furry vest.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Kee doke. I'll see what I can do with it!
Thanks for the advice! I feel like I have a better sense of what to work with.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

President Kucinich posted:

I'm personally happy that you posted it and I hope that you continue posting (because it means you're keeping up with practice!).

Watching some of the regulars in here improve on their work is my favorite part of this thread.
Thank you. :3: Posting in this thread is actually a really effective way of forcing myself to practice, and the feedback I'm getting is definitely helping a lot. I was just having a sad moment the other day for mostly-unrelated reasons. I promise that I'm still drawing every day, but I'm away from my scanner/tablet for the long weekend so there'll be a sudden sketch-dump tomorrow.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Das Boo posted:

My chubby little lady. :(

I'm going to suggest designing with the silhouette in mind. It helps to get things to read, before getting into a bunch of detail. I'd love to see that hidden monster arm.

I'd also probably simplify. You have a lot of folds/separations in the clothes, a lot of extra gear, that's hard to grab on the first, quick read.

As always, I love your line work. I'm really jealous of it!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Das Boo posted:

Both her arms are monster arms, but I could toss in an arrow into the forward-facing one.
I should also add that we've yet to do character turnarounds. This is just an image meant to help us solidify identity.

I honestly didn't notice until you said this. Her right arm, despite not in the focus, is much more prominently monstrous because of the spiky things in her shoulder and that it's unfurled dragging by her side. I looked at her left arm and thought it was extreme foreshortening, not a monster arm.

The exact same pose could work very well if her right arm was curled up and her left arm was dragging to the side as if she's about to pull off a clumsy uppercut. As is, her left arm is completely muddying her silhouette.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

I've been watching Columbo on Netflix and people had huge hair in the 70s.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Avshalom posted:

Thank you. :3: Posting in this thread is actually a really effective way of forcing myself to practice, and the feedback I'm getting is definitely helping a lot. I was just having a sad moment the other day for mostly-unrelated reasons. I promise that I'm still drawing every day, but I'm away from my scanner/tablet for the long weekend so there'll be a sudden sketch-dump tomorrow.

I forgot to add. Since you're working with faces, one piece of advice that was passed onto me by an excellent artist was to use mirrors or otherwise scanning and mirroring your work for inspection. For me personally, it helps with visually picking up problems that I would have otherwise missed due to my eyes adjusting and "accepting" anatomy that doesn't actually work. It helps enough that I keep an ancient Oldsmobile visor mirror with my tools at all times.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

President Kucinich posted:

I forgot to add. Since you're working with faces, one piece of advice that was passed onto me by an excellent artist was to use mirrors or otherwise scanning and mirroring your work for inspection. For me personally, it helps with visually picking up problems that I would have otherwise missed due to my eyes adjusting and "accepting" anatomy that doesn't actually work. It helps enough that I keep an ancient Oldsmobile visor mirror with my tools at all times.
I bought a lightbox off eBay for :20bux:, which was worth every penny, since then I can trace over the distorted parts. (If you own a drill, you can make one yourself on the cheap too.) But I still use mirrors in a pinch or when I'm feeling :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Some zbrush crunching.

Started out with a super crappy clay sculpt which was scanned in before I started. Probably would have been faster starting from primitives, given how bad the original clay model was.

• Locked thread