Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

PicklePants posted:

I'm going to suggest designing with the silhouette in mind. It helps to get things to read, before getting into a bunch of detail. I'd love to see that hidden monster arm.

I'd also probably simplify. You have a lot of folds/separations in the clothes, a lot of extra gear, that's hard to grab on the first, quick read.

As always, I love your line work. I'm really jealous of it!

Well, let's step back from that image in particular since I have a nude silhouette that was already presented to my teacher:

I've already changed a bit about it (and a bit of the following), but here's a more neutral sketch of her so at least you have an idea of her anatomy:

The ground floor of her character is "berserker," so picked bits and pieces up from already established designs. Mantles seemed to be a must and that's what the bony appendages on her shoulders are. But the pelvic buckle's my own and I love it. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Das Boo posted:

But the pelvic buckle's my own and I love it. :swoon:
yeah, the pelvic buckle is awesome.

WARNING: INCOMING WHINING + BAD ART
I've been in a bit of a funk lately; I'm trying to get better at drawing human anatomy in complex poses from the imagination and everything that's been coming out looks really blocky, lifeless, and not always even correct. The frustration has trickled down into the rest of my work, and I'm getting like zero satisfaction from my art. Does anyone have any tips? I tried doing five-minute poses without looking at the models too much, but whenever I'm not drawing directly from them the poses become really stiff:

maybe this is something that requires a two-step process, where I explicitly sketch out the chunky geometric mannequins and then try to ink some fluidity into them? I tried that here and it looks especially heinous:

The lovely inked figures took like 20 minutes, while the pose on the right was 5 minutes (w/o shading, which came later from the imagination) and the goofy bird monster couldn't have taken more than 2 minutes. How come I can't reconcile those two worlds and draw decent human figures from the imagination?

lion drawn from memory. definitely hosed up in some places, the most notable being the creepy human forearm.

yaks... yaks are easy. they're just giant boxes you can throw some legs and a head onto and it looks fine :unsmith:

snucks fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 26, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Would you guys be opposed to me putting NWS in the next thread's title so that people can post life-drawings and such without linking, or should we keep things as they are now?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Humboldt Squid posted:

Would you guys be opposed to me putting NWS in the next thread's title so that people can post life-drawings and such without linking, or should we keep things as they are now?

It's an art thread. Nudity comes with the territory so yes.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

snucks posted:

maybe this is something that requires a two-step process, where I explicitly sketch out the chunky geometric mannequins and then try to ink some fluidity into them? I tried that here and it looks especially heinous:

A book I'd recommend is Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators. It helped me a lot with capturing the gesture of the figure. Until I picked up the book I always thought gesture drawing was doing really quick sketches with wild lines going everywhere. But really it's about capturing the interplay of forces bouncing all around inside the figure, and that's really where the 'life' of the figure comes from.

A technique you might want to try (after reading up on gesture) is drawing the gesture of the figure first, and then using your knowledge of anatomy to add to the figure (rather than drawing your mannequin figurines with correct anatomy first and then trying to 'bring them to life' with interesting lines).

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

al-azad posted:

It's an art thread. Nudity comes with the territory so yes.

Yeah - I was a little mystified why people are putting spoiler tags around NSFW stuff in this thread. I thought that was cleared up years ago. I doubt many workplaces would be offended by (poorly) drawn nipples / genitalia etc. Of course, they could just take the FYAD approach and laugh about it at your expense. You just never know with some work places.

snucks: ... Because drawing perfect anatomy from memory is loving DIFFICULT! One idea is to draw first with non repro pencil and then draw over that in pencil or pen. Remove the non repro blue digitally later. Plenty of people use the equivalent of this in photoshop. Light blue layer first for the loose gesture stuff. Then an "ink" layer with a black brush set to taper with pen pressure. Or some variation. Don't be afraid to draw over your work, or just redraw something 2-3 times until it looks better. Being unhappy with your art work is natural. After all, if you were overly happy with your work, you might not feel the need to progress at all!

raging bullwinkle: Nevermind. I was thinking of FORCE: Character Design From Life Drawing.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 27, 2014

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

raging bullwinkle posted:

A book I'd recommend is Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators. It helped me a lot with capturing the gesture of the figure. Until I picked up the book I always thought gesture drawing was doing really quick sketches with wild lines going everywhere. But really it's about capturing the interplay of forces bouncing all around inside the figure, and that's really where the 'life' of the figure comes from.

A technique you might want to try (after reading up on gesture) is drawing the gesture of the figure first, and then using your knowledge of anatomy to add to the figure (rather than drawing your mannequin figurines with correct anatomy first and then trying to 'bring them to life' with interesting lines).
aahhh thank you! I've never been good at transferring gesture lines to something believable but this looks awesome.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I accidentally almost posted these in Thunderdome. What a fiasco!

I spent the long weekend with my family and spent Thursday night's practice session drawing my mother. :3: I'm not posting those because if crudely-drawn pictures of my mum ended up on FYAD, I think I'd die of shame.

Friday:

Saturday:

(eyes are wonky as poo poo)

And also I drew some bananas and glasses from life because there was no good reason not to:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Avshalom posted:

I accidentally almost posted these in Thunderdome. What a fiasco!

I spent the long weekend with my family and spent Thursday night's practice session drawing my mother. :3: I'm not posting those because if crudely-drawn pictures of my mum ended up on FYAD, I think I'd die of shame.

Friday:

Saturday:

(eyes are wonky as poo poo)

And also I drew some bananas and glasses from life because there was no good reason not to:

The problem you're having imo is that you're outlining stuff still (glasses, lips, eyes, lit side of the face). Try and get away from outlines, edges of forms are contrasted by their background, either from color or just value alone (light face by a darker wall). The bananas suffer the least from this and definitely look the best in comparison, try to draw something without using any outlines, it might help a lot.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Aww, those bananas.:allears: Is there something magical about this fruit that makes it look so great on paper? My mother always points to a drawing of a banana as my only piece of work that wasn't time wasted.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

This one is great. I feel like I can understand her a bit more now.

Avshalom posted:

I'm not posting those because if crudely-drawn pictures of my mum ended up on FYAD, I think I'd die of shame.

Every ones work goes into FYAD, they just go for the lowest hanging fruit usually. That said I actually enjoy that thread, and its better that you hear it from them. Channel their ironic posting style into improving your own craft. Also your bananas are good.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Das Boo posted:

Well, let's step back from that image in particular since I have a nude silhouette that was already presented to my teacher:

I've already changed a bit about it (and a bit of the following), but here's a more neutral sketch of her so at least you have an idea of her anatomy:

The ground floor of her character is "berserker," so picked bits and pieces up from already established designs. Mantles seemed to be a must and that's what the bony appendages on her shoulders are. But the pelvic buckle's my own and I love it. :swoon:

Okay! That really addressed my issue! I do really like the pelvis, in the first picture it was just kind of getting muddled in there between all the folds and the conch.

I like the more neutral pose, because we can see things clearly.

Let us know how it goes?

Needs lots more work. I gotta nudge his nose back over, work more on the arms, and then the shoulder stuff. But, it's what I've been doing.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Typical posted:

Every ones work goes into FYAD, they just go for the lowest hanging fruit usually. That said I actually enjoy that thread, and its better that you hear it from them. Channel their ironic posting style into improving your own craft. Also your bananas are good.
Haha, I actually enjoy the thread too. It's been pretty helpful to me in fact, I'm learning to translate their posts and find the gems of criticism within - their posting style may be ironic, but their terror at my grimacing tooth monsters is very real.

supermikhail posted:

Aww, those bananas.:allears: Is there something magical about this fruit that makes it look so great on paper? My mother always points to a drawing of a banana as my only piece of work that wasn't time wasted.
This made me laugh because I actually had my mother and grandmother hovering around behind me the whole time I was drawing those bananas. They were quite impressed. For what it's worth, I think the reason that bananas always look good is because they're an interesting shape but are actually made up of long flattish planes so the light on them is easy to draw.

Jewel posted:

The problem you're having imo is that you're outlining stuff still (glasses, lips, eyes, lit side of the face). Try and get away from outlines, edges of forms are contrasted by their background, either from color or just value alone (light face by a darker wall). The bananas suffer the least from this and definitely look the best in comparison, try to draw something without using any outlines, it might help a lot.
I try! It is so hard to stop outlining everything. Starting from today, I'm going to follow a piece of advice that I've heard a million times (but somehow always forget) and draw on a mid-toned background rather than white - hopefully this will help me think in terms of highlight and shadow rather than line.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Polypainting is for clowns.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Done. It's not good, but there are no outlines!

loving TEETH :whitewater:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Are they normally that round?

Your shading is pretty good but step back and do some constructions lines. The proportions are what is killing you.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Avshalom posted:

I did a quick paintover for you.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Avshalom posted:

Your pencil drawings are much better, and you seem to have a good idea of form, but you are still drawing what you think a face should look like rather than what's actually there. You're being held back by a conceptual problem, not your drawing ability.

Look at this very crude example:

If you simply draw what you see, it's just blobs of shadows.

You're getting a lot of good advice here from people, but your drawings are 99% the same. Try making radical changes and stepping out of your comfort zone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
'Nother shot. I nixed the stitches and robes and replaced the latter with fur. And an anatomical outline to avoid confusion:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Das Boo posted:

'Nother shot. I nixed the stitches and robes and replaced the latter with fur. And an anatomical outline to avoid confusion:

This is definitely the best one yet! The character looks really cohesive in this one; none of the details feel distracting or tacked on. Also the vertebrae thing on her right shoulder looks especially awesome in this one.

NOTHER DAY NOTHER DOODLE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom posted:

Probably the reason the teeth and mouth appear abrupt is that often teeth and the sclera aren't that much whiter than the face of a Caucasian person. Try to make those values mesh a little more perhaps?

e:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I drew a bubble witch

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, I don't know where to post this, so I may aswell post my days's work here.

Its... also kinda big, fair warning.

With Gradient Map

Without Gradient Map

So yeah, I am map making~

Its for a thing I am doing, also because I want to practice photoshop use.

Basically, using a combination of brushes, references and filters, I snitched together different pieces of geography to achieve this. After that, I took a gradient map and mapped it so that I could create a height map to some effect.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Some dude doodles.

And a quick study of a face.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie
I made another Princesses of Wrestling illustration, casting Snow White as the Undertaker.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I did this in Krita, a free painter program. This is the first time I've busted out my Wacom since October, so it was hard to get used to.

Edited to add:

I went back and fixed the pose, thanks to the FYAD thread. His head isnt aligned quite right but i'll call it quits for now.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I tried to focus on actually drawing the eyes rather than what I think eyes should look like, with... mixed results. On the other hand, painting onto a midtone background makes shading much easier, so at least I've definitely learnt something this month!

e: Just realised I forgot to erase my construction lines. :cripes: At least they're faint. And I guess this shows that I do use them, although it might seem like I don't.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 28, 2014

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Work in progress for my illustration class. The assignment is costume design inspired by art nouveau, futurism, constructivism, dada, or surrealism. I chose art nouveau. It's inspired a bit by the posters from Brazil (the movie). There's going to be a flag/banner with text making a fake propaganda poster. Unfortunately I have to pull an all nighter because I'm bad at working on things in a timely manner.

edit: It's going to be dealing with the militarized police state/surveillance.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 28, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Angriest Monkey. Finally got Clover Paint whipped into shape, and it's so nice and happyworkflow.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
You all have some nice stuff on this page!

Current state of a drawing for another Wheel of Time piece. This is the character Egwene al'Vere riding Bela while trying to escape the ruins of Shadar Logoth and the mist creature Mashadar. Still pretty rough in places, no face for Egwene, and the misty tendrals and hands will read much better when they're in "paint" form and not just flat line art.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whelp. almost 6 hours later and I'm finished enough I guess.
It's kinda dumb, and not really quite art nouveau enough for my liking, but it'll certainly do
15x20

edit: finished the boots.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 28, 2014

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Beelzebub posted:

You all have some nice stuff on this page!

Current state of a drawing for another Wheel of Time piece. This is the character Egwene al'Vere riding Bela while trying to escape the ruins of Shadar Logoth and the mist creature Mashadar. Still pretty rough in places, no face for Egwene, and the misty tendrals and hands will read much better when they're in "paint" form and not just flat line art.

Love your stuff. If you don't mind me asking, how long does it take you to get to that level of line work you've shown in that example?

To contribute, here's a couple things I did over the weekend. Here's some blues dude I drew from a photo reference while hanging out in a coffee shop:

I also am continuing to try to learn color. I'm pretty happy with this, not because it's wonderful, but because I didn't do any line work at all: just painted, which is something I have a real hard time doing, as I'm so used to lines.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Lumpy, I probably worked on it for a good 6 hours. That doesn't include time spent shooting and gathering reference, setting up a perspective grid for the background, or any little ansillery studies like thumbnail sketches.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I love the horse/rider/mist, the only thing I'd suggest is that the horse looks a lot more 3d than the rider - it feels like they need a lot more Z-axis compared to the rest of the piece.

e:

Lumpy posted:

I'm pretty happy with this, not because it's wonderful, but because I didn't do any line work at all: just painted, which is something I have a real hard time doing, as I'm so used to lines.

Christ, you and me both.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 28, 2014

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Thanks for the crit Petrol! Hopefully I can clear that up some when I'm laying down values.

I think I approach line art from a different perspective than you guys might be. For me it's an essential part of the creative process and not a handicap to overcome. I look to solve as many design and composition problems as possible early on with just flat line art. From the line art I move on to laying down values and color to create a "finished" study that I reference to complete the final painting.

However, throughout the whole process I keep in mind that the line art will not be visible at all in the final.

I put together a tutorial that should help explain my process a little more in depth.

http://joshhass.com/randomstuff/tutorial.pdf

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Ah, I figured what made it feel like that to me - I'm deliberately cherrypicking lines of action here, but most of them point to the horse rather than the rider - both are really nicely done, but the lines imply the horse is more important than the rider to me:

Guess who's got a copy of Framed Ink :fap:

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out and great analysis! The mist like stuff will be glowing, giving me a lot of control of the lighting, so I think I can shift the focus back to the rider when I start working with values. But your analysis shows that I'm going to have to get tricky with some blown out edges as well.

It probably doesn't help that the girl doesn't have a face yet either.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Really, everyone should get a copy of framed ink - it's pretty much the best money I've spent on art-stuff. It's written from a storytelling / art director point of view, so it's a completely different take on creating stuff, very focused on 'what your art is telling the viewer' instead of 'how to art better'. Doesn't hurt that it's all demo'd in the monochrome style I aim to do...

It's absurdly expensive, but it's so worth it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Beelzebub posted:

Thanks for the crit Petrol! Hopefully I can clear that up some when I'm laying down values.

I think I approach line art from a different perspective than you guys might be. For me it's an essential part of the creative process and not a handicap to overcome. I look to solve as many design and composition problems as possible early on with just flat line art. From the line art I move on to laying down values and color to create a "finished" study that I reference to complete the final painting.

However, throughout the whole process I keep in mind that the line art will not be visible at all in the final.

I put together a tutorial that should help explain my process a little more in depth.

http://joshhass.com/randomstuff/tutorial.pdf

Wow, thanks for the tutorial.

Re: line art. I don't think of it so much as a handicap, as it's a crutch I lean on too heavily as I try and learn color. If I do line work, then paint under it, (or on top with color modes, etc.) and then turn off my line layer, all I have left is a mid-range ambiguous blob of "yuck". I know that as I progress I'll start mixing the two, but I've done nothing but line for years, so I want to sort of intentionally ignore it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
I'm just gonna dump these

They're all 12 x 12 inches. Only doing 2 more for a series of 7. DK and Pokemon Stadium.

• Locked thread