Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

notaspy posted:

Can you remind me why please, I work for a rail signalling company and some of the guys here seem to think it's as easy as installing a bit if collision warning systems (for example all the drive on the jubilee line does is press stop/go).

That bit is easy, any idiot could get a basic level ATO system working. However, you still have a safety critical member of staff on board.

As long as they are required, you can't run the system without them, the "hurr hurr get rid of drivers no more strikes" crowd are in lots of poo poo.

ATO is actually p. cool but its not the solution to stop strike action unless you go totally staff free which just isn't going to happen without massive massive infrastructure changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

QuantumCrayons posted:

No, but having a backup in such events as "systems failure" probably is.

True but you have to consider whether it's worth investing limited resources in. There is a cost benefit analysis that neither of us has the data to solve.

What happens when oyster fails? Same thing will happen here.

Spangly A posted:

You'd be hard pressed to make a Tory admit that this is what they were doing, the argument will always start as "but we can provide the same service more efficiently and then lower taxes!". This is a proposition with no drawbacks, and also a lie.

Yeah but it really sucks dealing with paper tickets and having yet another plastic card. I would rather the money be spent on improvements to the core service of transport.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

QuantumCrayons posted:

No, but having a backup in such events as "systems failure" probably is.

The contingency for system failure is you open the gates and let everyone ride for free for a few hours.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah but it really sucks dealing with paper tickets and having yet another plastic card. I would rather the money be spent on improvements to the core service of transport.

I agree. Nationalise it, raise taxes to compensate for now-free transport.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

You never heard of Celtiberians?

If you're looking for possible sources of the (ab)original British you're going to have to go a lot further back than the last couple of centuries BC.

You're all African anyway. :prehistory101:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Spangly A posted:

Yes. Absolutely. Instead of them going "but you're still British" they proceeded to think the entire island was tainted by Portugeezers because of genetic flow.

I know I have Portuguese genetics fwiw, but I don't claim Portuguese descent.

Thank you for demonstrating my point that nationalists can't even comprehend fairly basic arguments to demonstrate why ethnicity is dumb.

Spangly A posted:

Sloth do you actually get the idea of proof by contradiction or does that have too many dangerously European syllables?

You've not demonstrated why the concept of ethnicity is dumb, but an individuals shallow concept of it via mocking it. hth

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

A Sloth posted:

You've not demonstrated why the concept of ethnicity is dumb, but an individuals shallow concept of it via mocking it. hth

You haven't demonstrated why it isn't, and you're the one arguing a positive (that a certain trait exists).

I have clearly demonstrated that you can't understand a basic use of contradiction, though.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

kill yourself junky

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

A Sloth posted:

kill yourself junky

Oh you silver tongued loving charmer, you.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

A Sloth posted:

kill yourself junky

You can't even loving spell.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Spangly A posted:

I agree. Nationalise it, raise taxes to compensate for now-free transport.

TfL is already nationalized?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

TfL is already nationalized?

They aren't doing a very good job malcolm! let's nationalise it again.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Gerry Adams has just been arrested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27232731

drat Coalition, taking us back to the 1970's!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Breaking news on Twitter, Gerry Adams has just been arrested in connection to the 1972 abduction and murder of Jean McConville.

Edit: aw gently caress

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

A Sloth posted:

kill yourself junky

A Sloth, as ever, an all round class act.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A Sloth posted:

kill yourself junky

You're a real piece of poo poo, pal.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

A Sloth, as ever, an all round class act.

As a member of the precariat, how dare you call me out on my "class". Check your privilege, enforcer of bourgeois values.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

A Sloth posted:

As a member of the precariat, how dare you call me out on my "class". Check your privilege, enforcer of bourgeois values.

Ssh, love. Its all ok now. Back to bed.

You really don't know when to stop. Please learn

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Urgh this is so problematic.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The DnD picture thread has discovered UKMT.jpg

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

New av for General China?

haakman
May 5, 2011
Given his upward mobility shouldn't it be a pheasant? Namechange to Gen. China KG PC CH.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

haakman posted:

Given his upward mobility shouldn't it be a pheasant? Namechange to Gen. China KG PC CH.

Gen. China (ret)

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Not a pheasant plucker?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Peaches died from a heroin OD.

Given that the police found no drugs in her house, it'd be hard to argue that it was accidental.

e; I hope you're ready for some tabloid headlines about this!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Spangly A posted:

Peaches died from a heroin OD.

Given that the police found no drugs in her house, it'd be hard to argue that it was accidental.

e; I hope you're ready for some tabloid headlines about this!

There is a very bad taste and obvious joke here.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I guess Mike the Cleaner got there before the police.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

There is a very bad taste and obvious joke here.

Didn't we do that one on the day it happened?

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Umiapik posted:

Gerry Adams has just been arrested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27232731

drat Coalition, taking us back to the 1970's!
The people who provided the info which implicated Adams are dead, so how could he be convicted? Sorry if it's obvious, but i am neither British or a lawyer.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Watermelon City posted:

The people who provided the info which implicated Adams are dead, so how could he be convicted? Sorry if it's obvious, but i am neither British or a lawyer.

As I understand this (IANAL) the info provided was to a Boston study group, on the condition it could not be released until after the depositioned person's death. It gets released, information is info the Police can use, bingo. Its not like Adams had given evidence,a nd he is not dead, so he is fair game. It seems. these things rarely are above board and straight forward, though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I don't get the politics of this: my understanding was that there was a sort of unspoken agreement not to go digging too deeply into past crimes in NI, in order to preserve the fragile peace that we've had there over the last years. Suddenly arresting Gerry Adams of all people shatters this consensus - I wonder if it's some sort of bargaining chip to dissuade prosecutions of former soldiers over Bloody Sunday, or something?

(Police and politics are irrevocably linked in NI: things like this don't just happen without there being some wider reason behind it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well now that A Sloth has done his duty of making GBS threads up the thread I guess it's time for a new one anyway, here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630415

• Locked thread