Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Asked in the last thread, but didn't get answered: Are the CWU any good?

Also, who the gently caress wants a pint with either of those, except racists and sad muppets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gonzo McFee posted:

They should privatize the police so I can save up all year and pay the police to let me wander into the Telegraph's Comment department and take a big runny poo poo on this guy's desk.

this but staging "the purge" as impromptu performance art in the offices of every newspaper and the houses of parliament

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Asked in the last thread, but didn't get answered: Are the CWU any good?

Also, who the gently caress wants a pint with either of those, except racists and sad muppets?

I'd get a pint with Clegg and asks him what failure feels like, see if he cries.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wouldn't do rounds with Clegg I think he'd disappear when it was his turn.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ He'd be crouching behind the bins having a sneaky smoke

happyhippy posted:

But c'mon, you know Farrage would be a right go'er.
A right WRAARRRGGGGGGH know what I mean nudge nudge.

Just make sure you insist on protection, I hear he puts a lot of faith in pulling out

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Thinking about it, isn't Milliband the only party leader who doesn't smoke? WHAT IS HE HIDING?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

baka kaba posted:

Just make sure you insist on protection, I hear he puts a lot of faith in pulling out

:golfclap:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Umiapik posted:

You plebs just don't understand: the mere, magical fact of the Royal Mail being privatized has caused the business to massively gain in value :smug:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/douglascarswellmp/100265616/of-course-royal-mail-share-prices-have-gone-up-because-its-been-privatised/

(And what lesson does this supply for what we should do with all the other public services, eh? Eh?)
There is a quote from that article "Predictably, the NAO report is being interpreted as evidence that Royal Mail was sold off "too cheap". If so, it has given tens of thousands of Royal Mail workers a well-deserved nest egg in the process."

And the next paragraph admits that its a way of strike breaking by that method which I dont believe.

Is there a way to determine how many of the shares have actually remained in the hands of the initial buyer workers (or in the previous sell offs the public) instead of just in various financial funds now as he suggests?

If there was a way to ask initial share buyers over time have you stil got yours and how many that would be interesting.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Seaside Loafer posted:

Is there a way to determine how many of the shares have actually remained in the hands of the initial buyer workers (or in the previous sell offs the public) instead of just in various financial funds now as he suggests?

If there was a way to ask initial share buyers over time have you stil got yours and how many that would be interesting.

Royal Mail workers are not yet allowed to sell their shares (source: my postman uncle, Sunday).

"Eventually, 22% of Royal Mail was sold to 16 of the priority investors who had bid for shares at 330p. By the end of January 2014, just six priority investors remained among the largest shareholders, who together held just 12% of the shares." sort of answers the second part, that out of the investors the government hand picked to be long term shareholders more than half have sold substantial stakes and hold just over half of the originally purchased shares.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
On Newsnight tonight the tory housing minister said 'yes' to the paxo question 'are rising house prices a good thing'. He then went on to talk about the fact that this country needs affordable housing. The mind boggles.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Gonzo McFee posted:

They should privatize the police so I can save up all year and pay the police to let me wander into the Telegraph's Comment department and take a big runny poo poo on this guy's desk.
Gonna c&p this as a comment on this article and be all Web 2.0 right now brb

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Gonzo McFee posted:

That guy is the MP for Clacton. My dad voted for him :suicide:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Metrication posted:

On Newsnight tonight the tory housing minister said 'yes' to the paxo question 'are rising house prices a good thing'. He then went on to talk about the fact that this country needs affordable housing. The mind boggles.

Just watched this on iplayer. "After 14 years of renting, Kate can finally afford a three-bed house for £500k. With help from her mum and dad, speech therapist Kate and her husband who works for a hedge fund can muster a £25k deposit of 5%, on top of which taxpayers are chipping in £100k interest-free for five years."

We are all paying for this. :gonk:

Also, what the hell are a hedge fund guy and a speech therapist doing with their money that they couldn't even save up £25k over more than a decade?

Meanwhile, the Nationwide index shows house prices up 0.4% in March; London prices went up 18% over the last year. We are now only 3% below the 2007 peak: http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/about/house-price-index/Mar_2014.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 2, 2014

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Just watched this on iplayer. "After 14 years of renting, Kate can finally afford a three-bed house for £500k. With help from her mum and dad, speech therapist Kate and her husband who works for a hedge fund can muster a £25k deposit of 5%, on top of which taxpayers are chipping in £100k interest-free for five years."

Also, what the hell are a hedge fund guy and a speech therapist doing with their money that they couldn't even save up £25k over more than a decade?

Christ almighty. In fairness, who knows what he does for a hedge fund, and an experienced speech therapist in inner London is going to be making around £30-35k. Which is lovely but not half-a-million quid house territory in a same world.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Renting :toot:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Meanwhile, the Nationwide index shows house prices up 0.4% in March; London prices went up 18% over the last year. We are now only 3% below the 2007 peak: http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/about/house-price-index/Mar_2014.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

I hope you lose your bet soon. For some reason prices of rent in Glasgow have shot up by about £100 since the last time I was looking for a flat.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

LemonDrizzle posted:

You know, it _is_ possible to buy a three bed in London for way less than £500k. Finally my loving arse. Also this guy works for a hedge fund but has no idea how to save, :what:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Um maybe he works as a cleaner at the hedgefund office? Maybe he bootstrapped and you're all just jealous of his work ethic paying off :smuggo:

I have a question: how are housing markets faring in other parts of the world? Is the UK (or London specifically) a supernova of house prices in an otherwise timid galaxy of brown dwarfs? Or are other countries also implementing stupid schemes and seeing bubble absurdity?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Why is Robert Webb and Russell Brand in the monster list? Is it a parody of this thread or something because Brand said not to vote and Webb said to vote?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh god not this.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Fluo posted:

Why is Robert Webb and Russell Brand in the monster list? Is it a parody of this thread or something because Brand said not to vote and Webb said to vote?

I think it's because Brand is a pervert and Webb is a libertarian? The Brand thing is definitely to do with the way he treats women.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Fluo posted:

they are on the list because talking about them shits up the thread

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Add Eric Pickles to that list. He's revolting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Nobody ever questions Fry's poo poo status ever since that tweet was put up. Maybe we need to post tweets from all the other shits.

Or maybe we could scrap the entire section*

* Of course this will lead to an initial outcry of "where has the poo poo list gone :qq:" but the OP has to make the tough decisions that will get this thread's recovery back on track since the previous OP did such a terrible job when in office.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

KKKlean Energy posted:

Nobody ever questions Fry's poo poo status ever since that tweet was put up. Maybe we need to post tweets from all the other shits.

* Of course this will lead to an initial outcry of "where has the poo poo list gone :qq:" but the OP has to make the tough decisions that will get this thread's recovery back on track since the previous OP did such a terrible job when in office.

I'd go along with scrapping the section, the only one I agree with is Jamie Oliver and everyone knows he's a dick anyway.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Sometimes you have to make some cuts to the OP to restore faith in the thread. The OP has grown bloated and inefficient, and many posters have become dependant on it. These cuts may seem harsh now but in the long run will help to make posting pay.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

KKKlean Energy posted:

I have a question: how are housing markets faring in other parts of the world? Is the UK (or London specifically) a supernova of house prices in an otherwise timid galaxy of brown dwarfs? Or are other countries also implementing stupid schemes and seeing bubble absurdity?

The economist has a nifty little tool here that you can use to see how international housing markets stack up (prices versus average income is probably the most interesting/useful of the metrics they offer): http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/11/global-house-prices

Within the anglosphere, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are in very similar situations to us in terms of pricing/affordability but are doing far better with respect to supply since they've been building new houses at approximately the rate of population growth. This implies that their house price booms are almost entirely driven by speculation and so they're in for an almighty crash in the near-ish future. We actually have a thread for laughing at Canada's housing market. The US market is looking pretty healthy - while there are a few crazy hotspots like San Francisco and NY, the crash brought national average prices right back down to "normal" levels. Ireland's in the same boat as the US with respect to prices but the rest of their economy is hosed and will remain so for decades. Elsewhere, Germany looks fine, France looks kinda hosed, and Japan still hasn't pulled up after the bursting of the 80s bubble.

Courtesy of the Canadian bubble thread, here is the sort of thing real estate bulls in Canada publish/think:

quote:

I read the Globe and Mail every day, and that always includes the business section. Rob Carrick is a business reporter for the Globe and Mail, but really more of an advice columnist than anything else. Generally speaking, I’m in the camp of listening to those who have achieved great things. When I get a call from a broker or money manager eager to bring me into their stewardship, the first question I always ask is, “what is your net worth?” Why would I risk any money with someone that can’t manage their own finances well enough to become wealthy?

Now, I don’t know Rob Carrick, but based on his advice, I’d venture to guess that he’s not wealthy. He is very conservative in his wealth accumulation advice and very risk adverse. His latest series of articles have been based on the advantages of renting versus buying. On this subject he is wildly mistaken and I would not doubt that he himself is a tenant and not an owner.

One of his latest articles dealt with a “very intelligent” young man that was seriously questioning the logic in buying a home. Rather, he is leaning towards renting instead of buying. This of course leads Mr. Carrick to conclude that he is a very smart young university graduate. I completely disagree. I will tell you of a very smart young graduate, one of my nephews.

Through high school, he worked at a fast food chain every hour he could. He became a shift manager during those years of high school. He managed to save $40,000 over 6 years of part-time work. Prior to his first year at the University of Guelph, he bought a brand new 4-bedroom townhouse in Guelph. My brother co-signed the mortgage. My nephew lives in the house and rents 3 rooms. His mortgage is covered by the rent from his 3 tenants. Every year he will pay off $7000 of his mortgage thanks to his “super smart” tenants. When he graduates after 4 years, he will have paid off $30,000 of the mortgage and this house will be worth $40,000 more than he paid for it. He will graduate at 24 years old with a degree and $105,000 in his pocket, and he lived rent free! That is a smart kid.

Owners rule, tenants drool, prices cannot fall and if you rent you are a stupid forever poor. I laugh at you, hahaha.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I want an OP that works for posters, not coasters. Goons just want to post hard and get on.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

I want an OP that works for posters, not coasters. Goons just want to post hard and get on.

We should enter a coalition

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

We should enter a coalition

I'll be the OP, you can be deputy OP and my scapegoat when the shitposting begins.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Putting Stephen Fry on the list made sense when a lot of people uncritically thought he was great. Now it's just thread injokes that constantly need explaining. ABORT ABORT ABORT

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I still think Stephen Fry is great. And Robert Webb. And Russel Brand.

Between them involved in some of my entertainment highlights of the last 30 years.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
People feel that the list is heading in a direction that they never signed up to. They resent the interference in our thread by what they see as unnecessary in joke. And they wonder what the point of it all is. Put simply, many ask 'why can't we just have what we all wanted in the OP? More stories about people making GBS threads themselves in train stations?'

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

KKKlean Energy posted:

Hey, It's not my fault that I had to play John Major to Zero Gravitas's Margaret Thatcher.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fluo posted:

I'm serious Mahmoud, can we just replace it with

History's Greatest Monsters:
Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
Mr Hyde
Imhotep
Morticia Addams
James Sullivan

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm serious Mahmoud, can we just replace it with

History's Greatest Monsters:
Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
Mr Hyde
Imhotep
Morticia Addams
James Sullivan
Whaaat, gently caress you man, why is she on the list?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Whaaat, gently caress you man, why is she on the list?

An American family, rich through inheritance and investment banking, whose motto is "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"? Yes why would enemies of the working class be on the list?

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
If you're working class I feel bad for you, son.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Saki posted:

If you're working class I feel bad for you, son.

Got 99 problems and the bourgeoisie is one.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Bloody Saharan sand coming over here and stealing our skies. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

An American family, rich through inheritance and investment banking, whose motto is "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"? Yes why would enemies of the working class be on the list?
They know their place - rightfully feared and isolated from modern society.

• Locked thread