Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

lenoon posted:

ask someone to name five. They never can.

- Don't imprison/torture people for no reason
- Pay your employees
- Don't make your employees work more than 40 48 hours per week
- Don't just dump your rubbish wherever
- If you really must nationalise your railways, please try to make it look like it's still a collection of private enterprises, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Ethnic British, direct descendants of the French, whilst claiming to be a tribe of germanics interbred with the Scandos.

Ask him how his old norse is.

Renaissance Robot posted:

- Don't imprison/torture people for no reason

Actually we wrote that one and the EU said it was good and used it. It's ours primarily.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I've on occasion tried pointing out that while I still definitely predate any anglo-saxons, being part celt, I have strong portuguese genetics because Ireland is due north to them.

They call me a colonialist. The lack of cognitive dissonance is incredible.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Spangly A posted:

Actually we wrote that one and the EU said it was good and used it. It's ours primarily.

Maybe, but we suspended it in the Troubles in the 70's

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Spangly A posted:

I've on occasion tried pointing out that while I still definitely predate any anglo-saxons, being part celt, I have strong portuguese genetics because Ireland is due north to them.

They call me a colonialist. The lack of cognitive dissonance is incredible.

What?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Celts predate anglo-saxons. Anyone identifying as an anglo-saxon while bitching about immigrants probably arrived after my family. However, there was a permanent slow Iberian immigration because Ireland is due north. At this point, I get called a colonialist for pointing this out, despite arriving here before they presumably did.

The fact this has never given anyone a seizure means they likely don't experience cognitive dissonance. So I gave up using it as an example, as they clearly weren't engaging their brains enough to get the point (the point is "my dad was here first" arguments are loving moronic). And it's funnier to just ask "why" over and over until you get to the point they outright admit to hating blacks.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This whole claiming the actions of your ancestors as your own thing is stupid, being able to trace your family on this miserable island back to the year dot isn't a personal achievement (except maybe a geneological one). I propose a new system: if you were born British then anyone younger than you or who naturalised after your birth is less British than you are, anyone born British or naturalised earlier is more so. Every year we can publish a table of Britishness rankings to end the argument once and for all. Your Britishness ranking has no effect on anything and Britishness is a protected characteristic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Spangly A posted:

The fact this has never given anyone a seizure means they likely don't experience cognitive dissonance.

There's no sonance of any kind in a vacuum, remember

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

baka kaba posted:

There's no sonance of any kind in a vacuum, remember

They don't need to be stupid or bad people, just badly informed all their life. That's why I do it. Providing them with a reason to get angry without ever actually being an enemy will just unsettle their own ideas as they realise they can't defend them; they can dismiss anything if you actually attack them.

It's never going to work while I'm present but taking a few punches now and then will be worth it if even one person ever re-examines their positions.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh I know, I just wanted to make the bad joke :v: I do the same myself even though it's like banging your head against a wall. Plus to be really effective you have to avoid calling people out, so they don't get defensive, and it's really hard to resist. But just challenging the narratives is something that needs to be done.

Speaking of which, I caught Nick Robinson on his vaguely EU-related tour of the UK earlier. Yesterday was 'is the economy improving' (what the gently caress this has to do with the EU Parliament elections and not the current UK government, I don't know), and today it was 'IS THERE TOO MUCH IMMIGRATION'. Nick helpfully prompting everyone 'yes???' and everyone saying 'YEAH' and dutifully repeating all the blame and accusations they've been fed. Is it news that people have this opinion when they're spoonfed it non-stop?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

Oh I know, I just wanted to make the bad joke :v: I do the same myself even though it's like banging your head against a wall. Plus to be really effective you have to avoid calling people out, so they don't get defensive, and it's really hard to resist. But just challenging the narratives is something that needs to be done.

Speaking of which, I caught Nick Robinson on his vaguely EU-related tour of the UK earlier. Yesterday was 'is the economy improving' (what the gently caress this has to do with the EU Parliament elections and not the current UK government, I don't know), and today it was 'IS THERE TOO MUCH IMMIGRATION'. Nick helpfully prompting everyone 'yes???' and everyone saying 'YEAH' and dutifully repeating all the blame and accusations they've been fed. Is it news that people have this opinion when they're spoonfed it non-stop?

Robinson is notoriously tory sympathetic, and it seeps through far too often for my liking.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Trickjaw posted:

Robinson is notoriously tory sympathetic, and it seeps through far too often for my liking.

Just another smug, complacent Establishment figure.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Farage has bottled it and said he won't stand in the Newark by-election.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

He's just an outright tory and was head of the conservatives society at Oxford, he is bad at hiding it because he's poo poo at what his job is supposed to be.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Brown Moses posted:

Probably sensible really. It's a big gamble as it's a safe Tory seat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Serotonin posted:

Probably sensible really. It's a big gamble as it's a safe Tory seat.

On the other hand: HA HA HA BIG loving BOTTLE MERCHANT

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/30/zero-hours-contracts-uk-over-one-million-people

quote:

About 1.4 million people are employed on zero-hour contracts in Britain, according to the latest government figures, a far higher number than expected.

I don't understand how you can offer someone no guaranteed hours and still employ them. Shouldn't it should be a legal requirement to guarantee at least 32 hours a month, equivalent of one working day a week? If you can't give that then they might as well be a paper boy/girl.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I'm still (according to the letter I got from HMRC a couple of weeks ago) technically a Sky News employee even though I haven't set foot in the building since September last year. Thanks, zero hours contract and slack HR department.

Meanwhile, in shock news The Sun are right about something. My instant reaction is to assume it's fake but they put it on their @sun_politics twitter account.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Lembit Opik is a oval office, confirmed by the judiciary.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
:psyduck: I agree with the Sun, world probably ending

Quincey
Feb 14, 2012
In the past three years, 1,260 care and nursing homes have been issued with warning notices by regulators the Care Quality Commission (CQC) for failing to meet legal standards to protect the vulnerable: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10795631/Secret-filming-exposes-elderly-being-slapped-and-taunted.html

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Good thing about Tube strikes is I get to stomp all over Tories and other tossers on Facebook calling for automation of the Underground from a highly technical and knowledgeable position, and its loving glorious.

I keep one on there who is particularly active for occasions such as this. Totally worth it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Quincey posted:

In the past three years, 1,260 care and nursing homes have been issued with warning notices by regulators the Care Quality Commission (CQC) for failing to meet legal standards to protect the vulnerable: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10795631/Secret-filming-exposes-elderly-being-slapped-and-taunted.html

Thank goodness for the more effective and productive private sector eh?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Quincey posted:

Thank goodness for the more effective and productive private sector eh?

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Bozza posted:

Good thing about Tube strikes is I get to stomp all over Tories and other tossers on Facebook calling for automation of the Underground from a highly technical and knowledgeable position, and its loving glorious.

I keep one on there who is particularly active for occasions such as this. Totally worth it.

Without stomping all over me could you tell me why ticket offices shouldn't be closed?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

tdrules posted:

Without stomping all over me could you tell me why ticket offices shouldn't be closed?
I'd have thought if nothing else it'd be bad for tourism. Dealing with some Oyster card vending machine when you've never been to London before and possibly have only a shaky grasp of English (or maybe you don't speak it at all) doesn't sound like fun.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Brown Moses posted:

Loads of stuff on the Torygraph front page today about chemical attacks in Syria, did you have input into the story at all?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

tdrules posted:

C+P because this isn't my real area of expertise but the statistics are telling:

quote:

At the heart of the original dispute behind the London tube strikes is one critical question: are ticket offices needed? Certainly mayor Boris Johnson once thought so, having campaigned to become mayor with a pledge to stop any closures. Johnson and Transport for London argue that the transformation in technology - such as Oyster, contactless payment cards, online transactions, and mobile devices for staff and passengers - have rapidly made the traditional station model redundant. 

Unions, as an RMT official outlines below , claim that the vision only works in a world of “ideal customers” rather than those who for various reasons may be unfamiliar with the system.

The statistical claims made for use of ticket offices are worth examining. During the tube strike in February, David Cameron made the inaccurate claim that only 3% of transactions took place at a ticket office. The statistic that Transport for London repeats is that only 3% of journeys, not transactions, begin with a visit to the ticket office.

What they fail to mention is that as many people use the ticket office to seek a refund at the end of their journey, according to stats released by TfL in February. That might tally with a lot of people’s experience of being overcharged when an Oyster machine fails to register a tap-in at open gates.

The same set of figures released to the Labour party in the London Assembly actually showed a very slight increase in overall ticket office transactions from 2010 to 2013, now at 7,573,000 a year.

The RMT union’s polling says two thirds of passengers oppose closures, and 52% have had to use ticket offices when machines were broken. TfL stats show around 20% of transactions within stations take place at an office rather than a machine.

Others, of course, who can afford the advance payments or the technology, are buying season tickets or topping up online - cheaper and quicker. But the example of the buses, where many Londoners ended up today, needs to be heeded.

Wealthier commuters are likely to have contactless bank cards, which can be used to pay already on London buses and soon will be an Oyster substitute on tubes. That means, for example, that without a travelcard or Oyster, they can use a credit card to pay £1.45 for a journey, while someone having to use cash pays £2.40 for a single fare (and the option of paying cash will be eliminated in July). TfL needs to reassure the public that incentives to wean customers off ticket offices won’t see the poorest or those who need assistance lose out.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Bob Hoskins has died aged 71. :(

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

Bob Hoskins has died aged 71. :(

"gently caress me..."

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Hey Bozza who can I attribute that quote to?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Mr Cuddles posted:

Hey Bozza who can I attribute that quote to?

Guardian Transport correspondent.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The CQC are probably going all out to mark down failing homes, especially after the Eye called them out for being loving incompetent.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Bozza posted:

C+P because this isn't my real area of expertise but the statistics are telling:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see anything there that a member of staff with an ipad, which I believe is going to be the replacement, can't do? As long as you give them the ability to refund or whatever.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Lord Twisted posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see anything there that a member of staff with an ipad, which I believe is going to be the replacement, can't do? As long as you give them the ability to refund or whatever.
Isnt the main argument that its going to put a gently caress load of people out of a job and while I accept it could mostly be done via tech isnt it just better to keep people in work on a social basis?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Isnt the main argument that its going to put a gently caress load of people out of a job and while I accept it could mostly be done via tech isnt it just better to keep people in work on a social basis?

By that logic, shouldn't public services be run as inefficiently and wastefully as possible?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

We should just keep cutting the working week length until unemployment hits zero

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Crashbee posted:

By that logic, shouldn't public services be run as inefficiently and wastefully as possible?
I sort of agree with that yes. Its contrary to logic I know. Not inefficiently/wastefully I would say but just employ more people. Have loving public toilet attendants, get the rubbish pick ups out of the hands of private companies, mine has been cut back to one every 3 weeks now. Get a couple of big public spending projects going, proper Keynesian stimulus. Get people in real 9-5 work as opposed part time at the supermarket.

Unless they do that whole min wage for everyone thing then yeah sure waste some money.

e: anecdote time, there is this elderly man who works part time as a cashier at my local tesco express, ive chatted to him a few times, he is so loving miserable but he has to make a buck, he had an amazing career and is clearly capable of so much more but he cant find a job, it breaks my heart it really does

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 30, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bozza posted:

Most banks issue contactless debit cards if you ask. Is it even worth dealing with the unbanked at the level of the transport service?

Oyster is unnecessary and TfL has complained about being a very large payment processor.

Eliminating cash is a smart move since handling cash at the volumes TfL does is a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

Most banks issue contactless debit cards if you ask. Is it even worth dealing with the unbanked at the level of the transport service?

Oyster is unnecessary and TfL has complained about being a very large payment processor.

Eliminating cash is a smart move since handling cash at the volumes TfL does is a pain in the rear end

lol

Welcome to Malcolm XML's London, where if you forgot to ask your bank for a contactless card before visiting, you'll at least have a lovely walk!

• Locked thread