Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

twoot posted:

Lembit Opik is a oval office, confirmed by the judiciary.

My girlfriend met Lembik Opik at a party and he's apparently incredibly sad and desperate to be seen as a celebrity. Who knew?

e: are history snipes a thing we're still doing here? Okay, in 58AD Quintus Veranius Nepos crushes the Silures. I'm not sure how this is connected to Correct Thought, monster munch or tories.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Baracula posted:

My girlfriend met Lembik Opik at a party and he's apparently incredibly sad and desperate to be seen as a celebrity. Who knew?

I went to the recording of The Political Party by Matt Forde where he was a guest and he was super super creepy and unsettling, and kept trying to be funny. Also he seemed desperate to be on the telly or in any way relevant.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Malcolm XML posted:

Most banks issue contactless debit cards if you ask. Is it even worth dealing with the unbanked at the level of the transport service?

Oyster is unnecessary and TfL has complained about being a very large payment processor.

Eliminating cash is a smart move since handling cash at the volumes TfL does is a pain in the rear end

One thing Oyster does that contactless bank cards don't (or at least didn't last time I checked), is cap your fares at the travelcard limit.

Also, the last card I got from my bank, in March, wasn't contactless. And I'm with one of the big ones.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Baracula posted:

e: are history snipes a thing we're still doing here? Okay, in 58AD Quintus Veranius Nepos crushes the Silures. I'm not sure how this is connected to Correct Thought, monster munch or tories.

I just try to make mine Proper British, like Al Murray.

My friend has come up with a wonderful way to deal with Ukip canvassers. He was doing contract work today and started spraying the guy with window cleaner when he spoke. The mental image is wonderful.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Spangly A posted:

My friend has come up with a wonderful way to deal with Ukip canvassers. He was doing contract work today and started spraying the guy with window cleaner when he spoke. The mental image is wonderful.

A friendly, old, bearded UKIP doorknocker came round a couple of days ago, after asking him to step away, I noticed he was with a brick shithouse who was carrying his bags of leaflets and stood just out of my line of sight.

Apparently canvassers need minders these days.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Betjeman posted:

A friendly, old, bearded UKIP doorknocker came round a couple of days ago, after asking him to step away, I noticed he was with a brick shithouse who was carrying his bags of leaflets and stood just out of my line of sight.

You never know who is behind the door you are knocking on
:q:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Betjeman posted:

You wouldn't happen to be in Gasgow, would you? I knwo another old, bearded UKIP nutter who works near where I live.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Betjeman posted:

My friend has the advantage of being a 6'3 wall of muscle himself. I imagine it'd go slightly wrong if my malnourished arse tried it.

I'll make sure to post the results, then.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Samovar posted:

You wouldn't happen to be in Gasgow, would you? I knwo another old, bearded UKIP nutter who works near where I live.

I doubt there is only a UKIP bearded nutter in Glasgae. Elaborate facial topiary is one of their best qualities

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really hate how leftist or labour oriented parties are really struggling and never manage to gain mainstream support amongst the very people they try to advocate for while parties like UKIP can grab their ears simply by saying "them foreigners".

I mean, really, is "lets get our fair pay and stronger unions and life security, secure free healthcare and better free state education and services" so unappealing to working class Britons compared to "lets attack all them foreign types"?

maybe I'm just projecting a false sense of upsurge in popularity for far right parties like UKIP just because thats the hot topic of the media currently.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 30, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I really hate how leftist or labour oriented parties are really struggling and never manage to gain mainstream support amongst the very people they try to advocate for while parties like UKIP can grab their ears simply by saying "them foreigners".

I mean, really, is "lets get our fair pay and stronger unions and life security, secure free healthcare and better free state education and services" so unappealing to working class Britons compared to "lets attack all them foreign types"?

Too many syllables in that.

Andy Impey
Sep 2, 2011
UKIP's advantage is that they have a unified theory of everything and an answer to it.

Whatever your problem, from immigrants to stagnating wages to high taxes to crappy public services to potholes in your road...it's ALL the fault of the European Union and it can ALL be solved by leaving.

The left tends to deal in the real world, which is loads harder to explain easily.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Have you heard them speak? They aren't able to make basic statements, they won't loving stop elaborating until everyone forgets their point. Then Farage shouts FOREIGNS! and everyone claps.

I watched Clegg's "Debate" with Farage and he came really close to destroying him, then kept talking over his own point and lost the audience. If the left had someone who just shouted FAIR PAY! TOGETHERNESS! HEALTHCARE! over and over they'd do a shitload better.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 30, 2014

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bozza posted:

Good thing about Tube strikes is I get to stomp all over Tories and other tossers on Facebook calling for automation of the Underground from a highly technical and knowledgeable position, and its loving glorious.

I keep one on there who is particularly active for occasions such as this. Totally worth it.

Can you remind me why please, I work for a rail signalling company and some of the guys here seem to think it's as easy as installing a bit if collision warning systems (for example all the drive on the jubilee line does is press stop/go).

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Paxman is quitting Newsnight. Holly Whilloby id st by the phone nervously.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Nevett posted:

lol

Welcome to Malcolm XML's London, where if you forgot to ask your bank for a contactless card before visiting, you'll at least have a lovely walk!

lol

Welcome to Nevett's London where people just decide to show up without any knowledge of the city.

notaspy posted:

Can you remind me why please, I work for a rail signalling company and some of the guys here seem to think it's as easy as installing a bit if collision warning systems (for example all the drive on the jubilee line does is press stop/go).

Yeah what other than money is stopping lines from being shifted to ATO at the level of the victoria line?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Crashbee posted:

By that logic, shouldn't public services be run as inefficiently and wastefully as possible?

Yes, but only if a) we're strictly talking about low to mid level payroll and not cost/benefit analyses of contracts that could potentially send vast sums of money out of the country or down some fat cat's trousers, and b) mincome is a thing that doesn't exist.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah what other than money is stopping lines from being shifted to ATO at the level of the victoria line?

Well yeah costs but also the time needed for closures on top of already occurring maintenance, the need to either retrofit existing rolling stock which is approaching the end of life or buy new rolling stock, and in the case of the sub surface lines the apparent discovery that nobody seems to have any equipment they're convinced can do the job properly; as seen at the end of last year when Bombardier walked away from the resignalling project contract (which had previously been under the auspices of the other signalling systems people at Westinghouse when the SSL upgrades were being sorted by Metronet).

Transport for London posted:

Bombardier was awarded a contract in June 2011 following a competitive tender process, and has already undertaken a great deal of preparatory work. A new unified control centre has already been constructed, which means the project is ready to be advanced further. However due to the complex nature of the network and the nature of the work to be carried out over the next five years, LU and Bombardier have taken the decision that LU will re-let the contract and continue the works with another contractor in the New Year.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Betjeman posted:

One thing Oyster does that contactless bank cards don't (or at least didn't last time I checked), is cap your fares at the travelcard limit.
not yet while you can only use them for buses, but it's on the roll out plan for later.

of course, most people don't want to swipe their card and get charged an unknown amount of money later. so ticket info people are needed to explain things to the uninitiated.

anyone want to chip in to buy the Oyster brand for a line of prepaid debit cards in a couple of decades when TfL are finally able to ditch their rump payment service?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Serotonin posted:

Thank goodness for the more effective and productive private sector eh?

When I was a mental health worker the firm I worked for took just under 8 weeks to get new fridges when the ones in the kitchen blew- it was an 8 bed residential unit and we had about half the staff needed on the books to meet the basic requirement of 2 staff on duty, within a few months of working there I was promoted to senior, a week after I turned 21. The company was so invested on profit and keeping mistakes quiet it was insane.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Spangly A posted:

I've on occasion tried pointing out that while I still definitely predate any anglo-saxons, being part celt, I have strong portuguese genetics because Ireland is due north to them.

They call me a colonialist. The lack of cognitive dissonance is incredible.

Are you claiming to be of Portuguese descent because of ancient population flow from Iberia? If so, you're thick as well mate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Baracula posted:

He is absolutely obsessed with it. Ever since he lost his seat he's been completely crushed and as we all know from his japes such as the music video and the wrestling incident he's consumed by trying to remain relevant and in the public eye. My grandma loves him so she'd never speak ill of him directly, but when she talks about how ungrateful Montgomeryshire is and how he served them faithfully for years you can tell just what he's been saying to her. All he seems to do these days is whinge about how poor he is, in between taking his all-expenses-paid cruises around the world. All he has to do is give like three talks during the voyage and that's it, first class cabin to wherever he wants. He does tend to take my grandma along with him on them so that's decent enough, but hilariously enough he (and whatever woman he's with at the time) fly back in First Class while he sticks my grandma in economy :v:

Basically remember everything Siân Lloyd said about him? Completely true. He is a relentless womanizer, an unapologetic alcoholic, and exceedingly creepy. Siân, incidentally, is a very sweet, very kind, very intelligent woman and it was pretty sickening to see the equivocation about how 'maybe she's just stirring things up' or whatever when he book came out.

For those unfortunates who have not seen them:
The music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdpRUacpfps
The wrestling incident https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ2aYBzfGRs

Fake edit: I've mentioned before but in case anyone's wondering how I know all this, it's because Lembit's my uncle. I am utterly defiled and will volunteer for the wall as soon as the revolution comes.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

A Sloth posted:

Are you claiming to be of Portuguese descent because of ancient population flow from Iberia? If so, you're thick as well mate.
:hist101: Saying you are of pre-Saxon Celtic descent also makes you look like a tit. Using 'Celt' to refer to indigenous Britons is exactly as accurate as saying you're Portuguese because of that ancient population flow. Or that anyone who speaks English now is ethnically British.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

A Sloth posted:

you

you are the point I'm making

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

lol

Welcome to Nevett's London where people just decide to show up without any knowledge of the city.

Sounds more realistic to me.

Regardless, public services should be as inclusive as possible. Whether that's visitors from countries without banks that have the latest card tech, people that don't even have bank accounts, or people that simply prefer to pay cash.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kegluneq posted:

Bob Hoskins has died aged 71. :(

Think I'm going to watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit in remembrance :(

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Spangly A posted:

you

you are the point I'm making

Haha these nationalists have no idea what they are talking about! *talks a load of shite themselves* :smug:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ What is rhetoric?

Nevett posted:

Regardless, public services should be as inclusive as possible. Whether that's visitors from countries without banks that have the latest card tech, people that don't even have bank accounts, or people that simply prefer to pay cash.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Betjeman posted:

Well of course they do, there could be foreigners in those houses! :v:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Fake edit: I've mentioned before but in case anyone's wondering how I know all this, it's because Lembit's my uncle. I am utterly defiled and will volunteer for the wall as soon as the revolution comes.

:stare: I am so, so sorry.I read your first part twice, sure I was missing something. Bet family Christmases are fun.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 30, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Nevett posted:

Eh, catering to the "people who only want to pay cash" is not really worth spending tons of money maintaining cash delivery infrastructure.

Issuing the unbanked with prepaid contactless cards would probably be cheaper than maintaining Oyster. You could even keep the brand, just have it white-labeled.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

Eh, catering to the "people who only want to pay cash" is not really worth spending tons of money maintaining cash delivery infrastructure.

No, but having a backup in such events as "systems failure" probably is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Issuing the unbanked with prepaid contactless cards would probably be cheaper than maintaining Oyster. You could even keep the brand, just have it white-labeled.

What about tourists though? And yeah contactless cards aren't that widespread or well known yet. I only just got my first one when my card was replaced a couple of weeks ago, and I'm with a major bank. I mentioned it to my friend, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Sloth posted:

Haha these nationalists have no idea what they are talking about! *talks a load of shite themselves* :smug:

You never heard of Celtiberians?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Trickjaw posted:

:stare: I am so, so sorry.I read your first part twice, sure I was missing something. Bet family Christmases are fun.

Haha your condolences are appreciated. Fortunately he was usually too busy to ever be around much when I was younger, and I've long since cut off all contact with that side of my family, barring my grandma.

Also, automate everything, but properly support the people made redundant. The goal should be total automation of society so nobody has to work and everyone can pursue their interests and hobbies. We probably won't get quite that far, and certainly not soon, but it should still be the objective.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

baka kaba posted:

^^^ What is rhetoric?

Being of Anglo-Saxon decent is actually really common amongst the English though. If they where claiming they are literally of German decent maybe such rhetoric would make sense, but even then it would still be closer to reality than "I'm of Portuguese decent because of my Celt Irish ancestry!". The La Tène culture originated in Central Europe. Maybe you can see why I didn't see it as rhetoric and rather another idiotfucker who knows nothing trying to be smart.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

A Sloth posted:

Yes. Absolutely. Instead of them going "but you're still British" they proceeded to think the entire island was tainted by Portugeezers because of genetic flow.

I know I have Portuguese genetics fwiw, but I don't claim Portuguese descent.

Thank you for demonstrating my point that nationalists can't even comprehend fairly basic arguments to demonstrate why ethnicity is dumb.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Sloth do you actually get the idea of proof by contradiction or does that have too many dangerously European syllables?

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 30, 2014

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The goal of public transport is actually to facilitate travel for the public not to make as much money/spend as little as possible imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Phoon posted:

The goal of public transport is actually to facilitate travel for the public not to make as much money/spend as little as possible imo

You'd be hard pressed to make a Tory admit that this is what they were doing, the argument will always start as "but we can provide the same service more efficiently and then lower taxes!". This is a proposition with no drawbacks, and also a lie.

• Locked thread