Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

(Extra Marx cred for those who can point out what long-term effect Marx did predict which is basically exactly what this guy says he didn't)

I've seen apologists pretend Marx was wrong or irrelevant before, but I've never seen anyone attempt to retcon his views on industrialisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

I'm surprised Cable is not just saying the most obvious reason for the difficulty in pricing the Royal Mail, namely the uncertainty over how costly industrial action would be to resolve. It's not like blaming the union would actually cost the Conservatives any votes, and in this case it's not actually a bullshit answer.

Cable isn't a Tory, he's just acting like one.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

They should privatize the police so I can save up all year and pay the police to let me wander into the Telegraph's Comment department and take a big runny poo poo on this guy's desk.

this but staging "the purge" as impromptu performance art in the offices of every newspaper and the houses of parliament

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Asked in the last thread, but didn't get answered: Are the CWU any good?

Also, who the gently caress wants a pint with either of those, except racists and sad muppets?

I'd get a pint with Clegg and asks him what failure feels like, see if he cries.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Just had the Guardian call me for quotes on Farage saying stupid poo poo about Syria and the August 21st Sarin attack.

I just discussed this with Tricjkaw as he said it. Yeah, he denied there was any Sarin. Clegg is coming dangerously close to making points but he talks too much. The host just called Farage out for lying.

Get anyone on that stand who knows how to debate and Farage will get trounced, he's leaving himself so open, but Clegg is just useless.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

"Why do you keep denying that the EU wants a superpower army, I thought you liked them :downs:"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

Wow, Farage is being slaughtered here. He literally just said "immigration is making the white working class into an underclass" as if that doesn't sound like the one-eyed crazy racist.

Really? I think Clegg is on the defensive and keeps trying to make complex points nobody is interested in.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

"Wind energy is bad for us because rich people" "scrap wind energy for shale".

Ok mate.

Renaissance Robot posted:

But vapes smell amazing :saddowns:

No you see some people cant tell the difference between green LEDs and actual cigs and thus pffffffft.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

He said the EU would either end democratically or "rather unpleasantly".

Awkward phrasing but probably correct, the EU's current format is totally unsustainable because the currency hasn't worked and when Spain and Italy go they won't be able to bail them out.

Jawidar posted:

It's pretty patronising to suggest that the British people don't have the attention span or ability to digest complex statements (with numbers in them :aaa:).

Are you taking the piss? It's not a secret that debating semantics instead of making absolute statements is a shortcut to losing a debate because of the way human memory works.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 2, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Sounds like Farage 'won', according the experts. How many points do you need to win Politics?

51% of the seats last I checked

Margaret Thatcher posted:

If there was a referendum tomorrow? I'd vote to leave the EU, simply because it remains to be a business-focused free market model obsessed around profits and designed by Thatcher.

Congrats, you just murdered a bunch of people. Until the revolution is viable you have to play politics, and that means not selling us down the river. It sure as hell won't be the rich taking the brunt of the massive loss of income we suffer from leaving the EU, especially when Scotland leaves with all of the EUs wind power.

Answers Me posted:

Yeah, there's perfectly good leftist reasons for leaving the EU; neoliberalism being practically enshrined in law for starters.

Philosophically? sure, but in practice we need to time our exit just before it dissolves, so we don't get brutally market-hosed.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Webbs reply was smug as gently caress and basically "the only way you plebs will ever be free of oppression and capitalism is to vote labour" whereas brands was "if you become apolitical then the entire structure will fall over!!" which is some incredible degree of loving stupid. Also he's a really bad person when he isn't championing progressive drug law in parliament.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

There's probably some merit in this point, but I fear the damage of another 5-10 years of austerity and budget cuts would be damage beyond repair. It would be a complete reversal of all post-war social democracy and we'd be stuck in a post-Reagan US-type economy, or worse - we'd be plunged back into pre-WW2 with virtually no safety net or social programs.

A Farage-style EU exit would probably be equally as catastrophic though. Instead, we need a case for a progressive/leftist exit - embracing internationalist co-operation of climate change, right to live where you want, but opposing the union's economic doctrines.

I'm pretty sure you haven't grasped what's actually happening lad. We're not neoliberal because the EU tells us, and it's patently clear they're pulling us to the left at this point.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fluo posted:

I think his point was more so that its easier for UKIP and other far right to get elected MPs and such which gives them creditability if normal minded people stopped voting in protest. Which is true.

It is. It didn't come across well, though. I'm pretty sure at the time it was self-depricating, or I would hope so.

Can't wait to see how many people think Farage was dead sexy in this debate, that's more what we want to hear of.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

They're pulling us to the left on social/environmental policy in terms of climate change, safety regulations, human rights and all of the other progressive laws here to protect us. However, the economic policy of the EU is dominated by an IMF-style culture that demands deficit reduction, labour flexibility and a small public sector with a bloated private sector.

The IMF has actually woken up, recently. Even Great Satan Greenspan no longer believes in rational actors. Do you honestly think we'd stop being neoliberal if we left the EU?

It's got maybe a decade left, Spain and Italy will kill it before it would've died anyway due to the inherent problems in the Euro. We cannot afford to be out of it for that period.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

the degree of neoliberalism demanded by the EU is minor compared to the degree of neoliberalism enforced by the other common market more commonly known as "the United States", so predictions of its demise seem a tad overconfident

Predictions of the demise of the EU have absolutely nothing to do with neoliberalism.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Remember due to our postal rule convention, sending the letter counts as receiving it for a lot of contract disputes, so 'oh it was lost in the post' is just going to make a mediator laugh.

This really needs to be scrapped because I'm pretty sure it isn't just my house that receives around half of parcels purchased.

As for our OP, I'm sure I can out-weird it, with a vague political tie-in. You will soon appreciate my pun.

I'm really not sure how to comment.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bozza posted:

gently caress all landlords, the fees are absurd.

(I have moved out, got my own place for a princely £725 a month for a tiny little 1 bed flat lol welcome to the south east but still cheaper than London)

where the living gently caress are you living outside of London for that?

LemonDrizzle posted:

A homicidal HIV-positive gay nazi crystal meth-smoking veterinarian with a penchant for rough sex? What a nice start to the day.

we all have bad days.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bozza posted:

Reading, it's expensive as gently caress.

E: a room in a shared house with 4 others is £400+ these days wot a jk m8

I pay that in Canters for the shared but you'd get a nice 2 or 3 bed to yourself for £750. Is... is it peaking?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bozza posted:

Reckon I might write to my prospective Labour MP with a big list of reasons why public ownership of the railways is a) free and b) better for passengers.

Please do lad, for all their faults, I think not actually understanding how infrastructure economics work is one we can hardly blame career politicians for. It'd be a good thing for literally any chance of an influence that isn't backed by people wealthy enough to buy them a nice lunch.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Was she a druggie girl?

Just a bit.

She was weird, and I say that as a person who has multiple schizophrenic friends. Being born into celebrity does strange things to people.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Just the one friend then.

wheeeeeeeeey.

Kegluneq posted:

Those are the most common cause of death for people of her age, and given that she died in her home and had no major illnesses that we know of, are by far the most likely. It is crass to speculate with absolutely no further information, but simply reporting the story begs the question. :shrug:

Yeah you can't blame people for asking, Peaches never spoke about any health issues, she was 25, had red flags for personality disorder. If it's not suspicious there's not much that fits the story as-reported.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

Can someone explain to me why it is that the unelected house has to keep on telling the elected not to go all tyranny on us? It just seems strangely counter intuitive.

Given that this has been the first couple of years I've not been hating the Lords with all my might, I bothered to ask people older, who explained that the Lords are true conservatives. That is, they're actually just old people with outdated views who don't want change, and not reactionary money-grabbing apolitical scum like the Tory party.

As such, any party even approaching centrist highlights that they're awful and conservative. Whereas now that we've got an utterly terrible government in power, the Lords look positively red in comparison.

If anything it highlights just how awful the current government is that as you say, the house of Lords is what's stopping us from declaring that there is no such thing as Humanity and requiring 5 figure payments to be made to receive basic human rights privately arranged by David Camerons Dad.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

We just spoke briefly on FB but I'm going to add that it's also an alternative medicine thing. I've genuinely never heard of someone even attempting to eat Belladonna to get high, it would be ferociously unpleasant, risky, and worse in price/ease of use than the similar Nutmeg. But people confusing the berries or just eating them anyway for pain relief is fairly common.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

if you're a BAME sex worker, at least, you're automatically assumed to have been trafficked. Even if you're a third generation or longer Briton. It's to the point that the police will raid saunas on anti-trafficking grounds (and invite the press to take photos because that's totally not exploitative), arrest any BAME workers until their immigration status can be verified, and also charge their co-workers with either brothel-keeping or trafficking.

Hardly anyone is going to be up to date with every single acronym in the jargon so you should probably assume that's why they highlighted that point.

Black, Asian, Minority ethnic.

F'orns dont come from england see.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

namesake posted:

Oh I thought it stood for Black And Minority Ethnic which always confused me a little bit.

Thanks!

nono, that's BME. BME is the one you said, the A is for Asian.

Identity politics!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of brightly coloured chinos, must be a terrible loving wanker.

Red ones especially.

My heterosexual male life-partner wears red chinos almost nonstop. He's a full communist from watford and looks shockingly like young stalin.

He's a sociopath though so I guess it counts.

Meanwhile,

Farage didn't even bother denying it. "It's an allowance! I can spend it how I like!"

On ales, then.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bozza posted:

25 years today chaps. Justice for the 96 may finally happen.

ACAB, never forget.

I hope everyone involved loses their pension and any honours received at any point, but only because public executions would be debasing ourselves regardless of the comfort it would bring many.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

My bank just froze my account to perform a fraud check because they're afraid the credit to my account from a refund after I changed card details may be fraudulent.

Is it hard to write an exception to their system saying "if it's all refunds, it's probably legit" or are they being loving morons? Either way I'm sure my landlady will be delighted at rent being late.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

Dying on regular soil is fine, the ground will reabsorb your nitrates and other stuff like carbon and calcium, and use it for plant food, restoring some life for that which you took. :hippy:

Plebs die in the dirt, good sorts have sky burials.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Refunds are often used in money laundering schemes - if the refund has come from an account that you have not paid stuff to (fairly common, unfortunately) and is "unusually large" (both of those words being very much up for definition of course) then yes, it does count as suspicious activity.

If the freeze causes you any financial hardship then you should be able to get that refunded by the bank, within reason.

£32 from a parcel that I returned!

I'm pretty pissed at how ridiculous they are. They've never frozen my accounts when I suddenly wake up in a different country and start spending there, but god forbid an obvious refund happens (this is not the first time.)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Larry_Mullet posted:

you're a real fuckhead mate

Edit for content: It is ours; it's everybodies, not just the person with the boat.

you could have made the point about the need to halt overfishing and move immediately to sustainable catching a liiittle bit better.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if the metaphor holds then by over-sexing we risk wiping out the female population

I'm going to write an MRA blog about this.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fingerless Gloves posted:

The tories are continuing their crusade to be shining paragons of Christianity in these most trying times for Christians. Clicky.

I'm hoping the church will do what all the bands Cameron claims to like do and forbid him from following their faith. How can he say this kind of crap when every other week there is a report about heads of churches writing to him telling him to cut this poo poo out?

I'm hoping this comes back to bite them. I don't have the research at hand, but aren't there polls showing that Britain is or is becoming an atheist country?

For as much as middle England never shuts the gently caress up, any attempts to install an actual church state would almost certainly end poorly. The English inflict religious strife on others, we don't really care ourselves. I think we're still primary "religious" over atheist but Christians don't hold the numerical heft and certainly not protestants. It'd be an interesting topic to look at, given how many prominent outliers seem to rule out non-practice being a "development" thing (Italy and Spain being two European examples).

But yeah the catholics and the CofE both actually detest Cameron and the tories because they are an embodiment of the evils the church is supposed to stand against. CofE is fairly consistent with the constant messaging, but WASPs are somehow still a thing here and none of them would know Christ if he salvated them in the face.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

It's morally wrong to evade taxes. Avoiding taxes is another question.

No it isn't, both are morally wrong to an equally proportional degree of how much you gently caress over your fellow man.

They are legally different. Law is not morality, which is where the drug comparison comes in.

However as already pointed out buying drugs means aiding tax evasion. I am totally happy with this because I do not have a legal alternative. If the government want to refuse money out of blind and idiotic pandering to a moral panic of their own creation, it's not my loving problem. If I'm in favour of, write articles about, and would vote for drug legalisation, then I'm offering to pay more VAT. I can't just send HMRC a brown paper bag and write "I smoked some weed this year, here's 17.5%".

Semprini posted:

Anecdotally, it's more common than you might think for them to declare income to try and appear legitimate / fend off proceeds of crime proceedings.

This sounds hilarious, how does it work? If I ever bothered to do tax reports for my music I suppose I could slip in an extra £100 busked a week or something, but that's five grand. Most of the dealers I know don't make much money because they move small volume or high volume but with weirdly small markups. I can't see how you effectively summon money out of thin air like that without getting nailed as soon as the taxman comes.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 18, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Semprini posted:

Start a business that's mostly cash-based (taxi driver, car wash etc). Report to taxman that you're the best drat car wash in town, just look at all these profits.

There's more to it than that, obviously, but old bill watching the thread etc...

You're saying that cab drivers and car wash owners got the good poo poo. I understand. Wink wink.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

How often and whereabouts do you busk? I'm always tempted to give it a go but can never arse myself.

Canterbury now, which is mostly dreadful so I rarely bother. I used to get £20 an hour at peak times in Ramsgate (the three market hours on sat/sun and school runs on weekdays).

It's performance art, not music. Just belt out a mix of popular covers and some dancy written stuff while getting as many people as you can involved, tourists are good for this. You want an area with a high volume of people stopping briefly, so tourist photograph spots and shops are good (shops will chase you though). People walking past don't throw money at you so high streets are usually a bit crap.

In low hours I used to play more of my own material and would occasionally get phone numbers and gig offers but unless you're Rodrigo y Gabriella you want to focus on entertainment, not talent.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

JoylessJester posted:

Like I've heard about schools that dislike metal, emo, rock, rap or whatever but all music? Is that a common extreme Muslim thing?

Sorta. Music and poetry are definitely haraam, so anyone who takes a literalist interpretation of the qu'ran abides by this. The qu'ran also encourages a literalist interpretation by outright claiming to be a direct work of divine intervention, whereas the bible does not and so every Christian claiming this is doing so with no real basis.

My libyan housemate's father believes poetry and music are sinful and would be outraged to find out he listened to any. He was also outraged when he overheard him taking a drink of tea during ramadan on the phone. So I'd say such beliefs are what we'd think of as traditionalist, but Islamic countries tend towards literally interpreting what is and isn't haraam legally before promptly behaving like normal people provided the police of vice and virute aren't around.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dude no.
Hundreds of years of Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) contradict this.

It quite recently that literalist/fundamentalist thought has completely dominated the main discourse.

Fair enough, my experience is mostly first hand rather than based in the history of Islam.

What's changed then, that both Islam and Christianity have slowly started to go a bit strange about how everything actually literally happened?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

Especially if the modern world is dominated by invading foreigners, while the book feels like part of your own culture.

One day I shall find a societal problem that doesn't somehow involve the human response of "gently caress foreigners" and I'll feel a bit better.

At least the daily mail article has caused a surge of donations to charity. We shouldn't need them, but at least enough people can see through the bullshit to and realise something has to be done for it to be noticable.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

Just right-wing?
The "All [insert chosen group of others here] Are Bastards" template pretty well covers exactly the same sort of unthinking knee-twitch.

ACAB etc certainly uses that same template. The difference being it's factually accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Wolfsbane you didn't need to make that assumption man, sometimes coppers aren't utter shitheads to everyone.

However, EV,

baka kaba posted:

'the police are systemically corrupt, closing ranks and defending abuses of power while punishing anyone who dissents'. That's because the police actually is a formal institution, one whose members occupy a position of power and authority in society. Sweeping paranoia and prejudice against members of minority groups is a little different

ACAB will be an absolute truth until they at least try to sort out the utter bullshit that is "only coppers can investigate coppers". Mark Duggan was lawfully killed for fucks sake. It is an institution of filth.

• Locked thread