Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
But c'mon, you know Farrage would be a right go'er.
A right WRAARRRGGGGGGH know what I mean nudge nudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Saki posted:

Wait the anti-Brand thing is because of the womanising thing and not his political shitshow?

I thought it was that he looks like a skinny Hagrid.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Is it me or this Miller incident would make a brilliant Thick of It episode?
It's like the first season in essence.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/09/tory-vice-chair-fabricant-sacked

quote:

Michael Fabricant, MP for Lichfield, said he thought it was a "knee-jerk decision" to remove him from his post. A few hours earlier, following Miller's resignation, he had tweeted that it was "about time" and appeared to endorse remarks saying the row had been derailing the party.

The Miller Farce gets funnier by the minute.

Also, he has always been Jeffrey Archer in a blonde wig to me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

It's better than that. Every system bought by government procurement departments in the last three years came with a Windows 7 license. They just don't install it because they have to test compatibility of all other software with Win7 before it can be approved for rollout. So in essence, the government are paying Microsoft millions of pounds so that the ICT team don't have to do their jobs.

Back in 2005 when I was working a local government run 'LAN cafe' (mainly to bring computers to rural areas, old people, and teach computer based courses likd ECDL and basic Microsoft Office skils).
We had to buy Windows XP and Windows 2000 for each computer, for no loving reason at all other than that it was in the contract. The most 'obscure' program we ever ran on them was SAP for finacial classes, but that worked on 2000 which was the OS we used.
When the funding ran out, the computers were simply binned. Still probably have a list somewhere at home of a few dozen tax payer paid XP keys that no one has ever or will ever use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Another government IT story: sometime last year I went to demo the replacement for a system which had been going since before I was born. The key user there had his (quite large) monitor set to 800x600 with a huge Win95-style novelty dinosaur cursor. It kinda owned actually, I can respect a man who uses a dinosaur cursor

e: dinosnipe

If it's gov spending gently caress ups, have another here.
Worked for 6 months as IT Officer for local council, when LCD screen PDA's were new tech so long ago.
One department head paid for one out of his own pocket, and he used it to record data from all the places he would have to visit around the county. He had a legit use for it.
Once the other heads saw it, they requested one for themselves, with full works. Leather cases, docking stations, memory upgrades, the works. Out of department money even when they had no legit use for it.
My (IT) manager threw a poo poo fit when they started asking for Lotus Mail subscriptions be bought so they could take and read their work mails at home, and she was overruled and told to buy and install it on the network. Must have wasted £20-30k on these pieces of poo poo.
All this while a good percentage of computers the normal council employees were using were chugging away of computers several years out of date that really needed updating.

• Locked thread