Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

beanieson posted:

guy's still carrying 92s are the weirdest.

we carry whatever we want from an approved list (anything that isn't crap). There was talk recently of issueing all the swat guys glock 35s just to have the interchangeable magazines but nothing ever came of it.

In other news I wrote a big rear end check today, down payment on a lot/construction loan. If I suddenly stop posting it's cause I'm busy pulling my hair out for the next 7-8 months & am now poor.

you've got the body for stripping, so thats always an option

And my first duty weapon was an XD40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Smiling Jack posted:

Could be worse, I heard of one department where a guy carries an XD.

My XD is awesome don't you have a long lunch to take or something?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I told them price was my biggest concern.

This is what I'm talking about. If it's there to save your rear end, why isn't quality your biggest concern? I don't know, but it seems more important than having an expensive hobby or even owning a car. Do you have to buy your own vest? Is it poo poo or are there a lot of better ones out there?

e: Hey Branis, did they film that Frozen movie where you live?

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 10, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

fresh catchphrase posted:

Why don't you all just put your guns in your mouth then pull the trigger, severing your pigshit brain from your central nervous system?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is what I'm talking about. If it's there to save your rear end, why isn't quality your biggest concern? I don't know, but it seems more important than having an expensive hobby or even owning a car. Do you have to buy your own vest? Is it poo poo or are there a lot of better ones out there?

My dept did not issue body armor until a few years ago. Prior to that yes, you had to buy your own. I'll let you guess how many officers wore vests...

I was trying to live on less than $30k/yr. I understand where you're coming from but I've gone through some tough financial times where I couldn't justify spending money on a secondary gun.

I do plan on upgrading soon but not until I hopefully start a new job.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Shep get an LCP and an aHolster pocket holster. Thing disappears into my pocket & just lives with me all the time. I still carry my compact 9 primarily when I'm off duty but there at times when you can't wear an IWB holster.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

beanieson posted:

guy's still carrying 92s are the weirdest.

we carry whatever we want from an approved list (anything that isn't crap). There was talk recently of issueing all the swat guys glock 35s just to have the interchangeable magazines but nothing ever came of it.

In other news I wrote a big rear end check today, down payment on a lot/construction loan. If I suddenly stop posting it's cause I'm busy pulling my hair out for the next 7-8 months & am now poor.

is this the beginning of groverhaus mkii?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

is this the beginning of groverhaus mkii?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
idgi :shrug:

Edit: just looked up groverhaus, now I get it :stare:

Edit2: VVVVV also, yes.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 10, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Beanie's building his own trailer park

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I just hope it's in a county parish that you can run for sheriff. You know what that means...

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
If I had to supply my own sidearm (which obviously I don't because I'm a brit-cop and all we get it a little metal stick) I would try and get the biggest hand-cannon I could buy. I was shooting a .44 magnum in Cambodia a few months ago and it definitely gave me a chubby.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I thought you were RCMP, if so you can definitely afford not lovely gear.

nope

Branis posted:

I thought drakerider was a cop in saskatchewan, which is like canada's version of flyover states isn't it? Full of meth, rednecks and lovely wages.

nooooooooooooooooope

I'm not in the RCMP. And my agency (who I won't name because they're scared of the internet and probably wouldn't like some of my joke posts on the larger forums) won't allow us to wear any non-issued gear. And they issue us Uncle mike's for everything except the holster, which is thankfully Safariland.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Speaking of ESU, NYPD ESU was founded on April 10, 1930. :toot:

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm not in the RCMP. And my agency (who I won't name because they're scared of the internet and probably wouldn't like some of my joke posts on the larger forums) won't allow us to wear any non-issued gear. And they issue us Uncle mike's for everything except the holster, which is thankfully Safariland.

With all of your tar-stained oil money I would have thought that you guys would have nothing but the best. Although they probably don't want you making meth busts since that helps drive the wheel of industry :cheeky:

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Smiling Jack posted:

Speaking of ESU, NYPD ESU was founded on April 10, 1930. :toot:

NYPD ESU is my favorite group of pudgy Irish guys.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

JiimyPopAli posted:

With all of your tar-stained oil money I would have thought that you guys would have nothing but the best. Although they probably don't want you making meth busts since that helps drive the wheel of industry :cheeky:

Without meth our province would grind to a halt. Much like Toronto City Hall.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ahem mayor Ford runs on crack, not meth.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ahem mayor Ford runs on crack, not meth.

Ron Ford is a national treasure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

At least he's honest. Dude just doesn't give a gently caress and it's awesome.

A little backstory
Apr 24, 2004

Let's call her Elizabeth, because that's her name.
What was the environment like in your guys' academies? Was it harsh, or was it more like a gentleman's course?

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur
Ours was a para-military style program.

Lots of yelling, lots of pushing, lots of yelling, lots of pushing.... and so on for six months.

Most fun I never want to have again.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

College with guns and fast cars. We had a convenience store on base that sold cheap booze and we were 10 minutes from the beach. Best 6 month vacation ever.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

College with guns and fast cars. We had a convenience store on base that sold cheap booze and we were 10 minutes from the beach. Best 6 month vacation ever.

The food was better at college.

And frankly the one you're talking about was not challenging in the least. The local Academy that I went through was harder both academically and physically.

So I guess I agree with you.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

My PT instructor was one of the tougher ones there from talking to other people, but yeah the academic portion was on par with freshman year of college/high school, sadly. CITP is supposed to be more challenging :shrug:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Fast cars? Crown Vic's are not fast cars.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

beanieson posted:

Fast cars? Crown Vic's are not fast cars.

We played with V8 chargers and PPV Tahoes on the pursuit tracks, only used the Crown Vic for the skid pad and NEVO.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Tyro posted:

So I guess I agree with you.

There's no way you can walk away from your experience and not tell me it was the best 3 month vacation ever.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

We played with V8 chargers and PPV Tahoes on the pursuit tracks, only used the Crown Vic for the skid pad and NEVO.

They don't do NEVO anymore for us :( I remember doing it in Artesia and having so much fun with it too

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Tyro posted:

The local Academy that I went through was harder both academically and physically.

Didn't we go to the same academy? If so...

All I've got to say to you is one more again!!! :v::hf::v:.

So yeah, the academy I attended was a pretty good mix of PT/Semi-Paramilitary and fairly strict academics. The academy for the agency I work for now though is pretty much known as a joke with extremely limited PT or structure and allegedly instructors get in trouble if they get "mean" with recruits or something.

FLETC was awesome. Although I'm a terrible person to ask because it was specialized training school I attended and like half our official class lunches and dinners were out at local restaurants and bars. The CBP basic guys I interacted with seemed like they were enjoying themselves and the IRS investigator guys staying at our hotel appeared to hate life.

e/phone postin

Untagged fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 12, 2014

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Homie S posted:

There's no way you can walk away from your experience and not tell me it was the best 3 month vacation ever.

Not quite as good as being an intern in the Caribbean was. But that was unpaid, which is a big negative...

Untagged posted:

Didn't we go to the same academy? If so...

All I've got to say to you is one more again!!! :v::hf::v:.
e/phone postin

Yeah I think we determined once that we did... Heh.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
oh god i'm thinking about buying a house. Please tell me this is a bad idea

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Branis posted:

Dont you make like 12 bucks an hour? I wouldn't even thunk you could afford rent, let alone a mortgage.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I make a little more than 12, but its also a cheap house.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Branis posted:

Don't loving do it. PM me if you want details on why it sucks.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Buy a house dude. Paying rent is pissing away your money with nothing to show for it, atleast paying a mortgage is building equity.

Tyro posted:

Don't loving do it. PM me if you want details on why it sucks.

Whys it suck? Like, I see no disadvantage to ownership over paying a lifetime of rent :psyduck:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

beanieson posted:

atleast paying a mortgage is building equity.

this is a bad reason to buy a house fyi

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I bought a house because my mortgage for a 3 bedroom house is cheaper than rent for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
if I get this house for the price I wan't i'll be paying less than I pay for rent and have a better place to live than I currently live, and it looks like I could definitly get it for the right price.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Don't treat a house like an investment. They're great places to live but terrible investments.

Upkeep on a house costs money too, just like rent, so whereas your landlord is required to keep up a rented dwelling you have to do it yourself if you own it. Buying is very often much more expensive than renting as a result. As a financial asset, houses are awful because they're highly illiquid (among other reasons). The best that I can say for them is they're very tax-efficient because of the mortgage interest deduction.

The market forces the price of renting versus buying to be very similar when you take risk into account. When you rent, the landlord assumes all of the risk. When you buy, you assume all of the risk. If you make $12 an hour, it is very likely that you can't afford that kind of risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

beanieson posted:

Buy a house dude. Paying rent is pissing away your money with nothing to show for it, atleast paying a mortgage is building equity.

Whys it suck? Like, I see no disadvantage to ownership over paying a lifetime of rent :psyduck:

Mortabis explained it pretty well. But best case scenario it ties you down geographically which limits your job options.

I bought a place when I was a local cop and I didn't see moving away soon in my future. Since then I've moved for personal reasons, gone back to school, and switched jobs twice, and I've been renting it out at a loss.

Granted, anecdotes aren't data blah blah, but renting isn't bad on its face. Paying rent is not necessarily pissing money away, and especially if you're highly leveraged, the return on buying a house vs paying rent is probably lower than what you could get investing in the stock market, with lower risk.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 13, 2014

• Locked thread