Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

gas thread ban op

edit - Also, jeez guys stop arresting firemen on scene.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/fireman-handcuffed-after-responding-to-911-call/

quote:

A New Roads Police Officer may have violated the law when he handcuffed and detained a volunteer firefighter and first responder Monday night during an emergency.

Witnesses said it stemmed from the firefighter refusing to move his fire truck because he was rendering aid to the patient.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Citycop posted:

So apparently for April Fools day someone (I'm thinking a co-worker) posted my beat partner and my personal phone numbers on craigslist with a promise of a free TV in the ghetto. I've flagged the post but my phone is ringing / texting "off the wall" (Phones don't hang on the wall anymore). I can't think of anything to do about it.

The term is "blowing up". Your phone is "blowing up".

Yes, I died a little on the inside after typing that.

I would get a privacy app that lets you flag only specific numbers to ring through, all others are rejected. I use an app called SemiSilent for this purpose. Then your family/friends can still reach you but all other numbers will be rejected. Also change your voicemail if you have your name on there.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Citycop posted:

Spoke with a co-worker who posted it as a joke. He's a young troop and didn't think it through. He's also unmarried with no kids so did not think about waking my kids up at 6am before they have that stupid state test today. I let him know that a lesser person, or me when I was younger, would have been much less forgiving about the whole thing. I also told him I'll inform him when the time comes to pay me back (Probably an unattended death call).

You're getting soft in your old age. But props for taking the high road.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

beanieson posted:

today I was dispatched to a home that had been "ramshacked"

Dispatchers are the best.

You're very insensitive to people with lisps.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

fresh catchphrase posted:

Why don't you all just put your guns in your mouth then pull the trigger, severing your pigshit brain from your central nervous system?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Makes you think

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

tacyak posted:

I just got my start date for the academy and the first thing they've asked me to buy is a pair of black bdu pants. I thought the black tactical cargo pants thing was supposed to be a joke. Militarization of the police. Ron Paul 2012.

You'll understand when you're on the job. Basically BDU's are a godsend when you need a place to stuff flashlights, gloves, a knife, keys, evidence you pick up at a scene. The extra pockets are really necessary and I hate wearing dress pants instead.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Branis posted:

it's probably just your academy uniform. Also make sure you ask for something durable for your drop gun, don't wanna have to keep getting new ones cause you asked for a kel tec instead of a diamondback.

We all know a poor, um brown, er bad guy is more likely to carry a keltec c'mon it's the perfect drop.

edit - Serious guntalk. When my Keltec failed, they had it repaired and shipped back to me, free of charge, within nearly 2 weeks. It was a really pleasant customer service experience, though I don't know if that quite makes up for the overall poorer quality of the weapon.

There are times I just don't carry off-duty anymore because I figure it's more likely that my Keltec would fail on me than it is that I would be involved in a shooting. It's actually pretty scary when I think about it but I try not to.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 9, 2014

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Branis posted:

M&P shield 9mm

Man last year I was so close to buying that gun. I still want it, but I just don't have the money.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is something that I still find hard to understand. I get that people have a budget, but considering how important your weapon is, why would you go for low quality to save a few bucks? Do you have to buy your own body armor too? I'm fairly sure that these purchases would at least be tax deductable(6 days, just fyi).

The KelTec PF-9 was very highly recommended to me by some very experienced LEO's I worked with at the time who served as our department range masters and armorers. I never had a problem with it until the firing pin just broke on it one day and it wouldn't fire anymore. Prior to that, it started having misfeeds constantly but I don't know if that was connected to the firing pin failure.

KelTec replaced about everything except the frame on the gun when they shipped it back. I haven't had a problem with it since then, it's just a feeling in the back of my mind that I don't trust it.

I'd love to go out and drop $700 on a gun I can trust, but 1) I don't make a lot of money and I have a lot of bills, 2)I have very expensive hobbies, 3) I'm not really a gun guy so I just don't care that much. I have my primary duty-gun that I carry off-duty if I know I absolutely want to have something I can rely on.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Wait, your armorers recommended a Kel-Tec? :wtc:

To be fair, they only did because I told them price was my biggest concern.

I was making about $15/hr at the time so money was tight.

Also ask me about : Owning uncle mikes duty gear (it's awful).

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 9, 2014

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Could be worse, I heard of one department where a guy carries an XD.

My XD is awesome don't you have a long lunch to take or something?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is what I'm talking about. If it's there to save your rear end, why isn't quality your biggest concern? I don't know, but it seems more important than having an expensive hobby or even owning a car. Do you have to buy your own vest? Is it poo poo or are there a lot of better ones out there?

My dept did not issue body armor until a few years ago. Prior to that yes, you had to buy your own. I'll let you guess how many officers wore vests...

I was trying to live on less than $30k/yr. I understand where you're coming from but I've gone through some tough financial times where I couldn't justify spending money on a secondary gun.

I do plan on upgrading soon but not until I hopefully start a new job.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I bought a house because my mortgage for a 3 bedroom house is cheaper than rent for a 1 bedroom apartment.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Untagged posted:

Ok who pissed in GBS's cheerios. I love that they always end up in a fight with each other to see who's king poo poo.

What happened what did I miss

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

beanieson posted:

There's a 55 page thread titled "cops makin me lol" but I can't be bothered to read the thing.

It actually was a pretty good thread until the gently caress the police crowd overran it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Branis posted:

All the shitposting reminds me of the dark days of Citycops AT threads before GIP existed.

Before that we had Shachi's AT thread. Showing my age here.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Lolin' at all the non cops answering questions in the ask cop thread.

I say we stop posting in there and force everyone to have to post their questions at officer.com

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

beanieson posted:

get 1099s from like a dozen different companies every January?

That's dumb.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Tide posted:

Yew betcha they dew

This is accurate

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

GunForumMeme posted:

I didn't get a confirmation email that it went through until this morning.

:downsgun:

Luckily at 12/hr there's not much to audit.

Are you in an academy yet? C'mon son get going.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

beanieson posted:

He's taking time off to ~~find himself~~ :yayclod:

Think of all the people he could have oppressed in the time he's been gone finding himself.

I guess I'll have to stomp a few extra necks tonight with my jackboots to make up for it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Why are we still doing an Ask thread?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Haha now I'm getting FTP pm's.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

i also think the two people who actually said "you dumb fucks would be calling us sir face to loving face" are legit pissed but that might be because I'm not a total retard.

It's utterly amazing one of the big threads making fun of LF, D&D, and the feminism thread for having lovely hugboxes demands their own lovely hugbox and uses the same go to insults the other hugboxes do.

So are you saying this is like the Xbone hugbox? That's harsh man. One of the worst days on SA for me was when the Xbone hate thread got gassed.

I don't think we ever demanded a hugbox. I think some of us saw some merit to a place where people could ask legal questions or discuss cop stuff.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

19 people got banned for asking genuine questions or extremely mild sass and/or jokes. That's the very definition of a hugbox.

If you think most of those were serious questions lol

The Gip rules clearly make police threads a hugbox that's nothing new.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

This thread should be used for its proper function, making fun of people for their bad firearms choices and terrible unions.

Anyone want to buy my keltec?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't know man, some of the dudes here have a short temper.

have you tried upgrading to a smart car?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Also shooting guns is fun except when you go to a range and get stared down by those white dudes dressed in all black with their really cool guns.

Those guys are the loving worst

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

You ever talk to them? Because, as a brown dude, I have actual safety concerns.

No stay far away from them. I'm pretty sure one guy at my local range put some type of plastic explosive or something (I don't know poo poo about explosives so pardon my incompetence - I mean aside from my general incompetence overall), and hit the loving target at 50 yards with the biggest goddamn revolver I've ever seen and caused a huge boom that nearly made me go deaf through my ear phones.

To top it off he was there with his two redneck children. And also I don't live in the south so

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Once some of those dudes brought the biggest loving sniper rifle I had ever seen, and when they shot it you could feel the shock wave like a lot more than you would think.

Gun "hobbyists" kind of scare me, I'll admit to that.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

beanieson posted:

As someone from the south I can tell you that stuff was tannerite :science:

just googled it and yep that's it.

Why the gently caress bring that to an indoor public range???

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Another question, how much poo poo do you talk about those cops that give you a bad name behind their back?

I've called off my backup car before because I knew they'd just make the situation worse.

The best fights are the ones you don't have to get in to.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Untagged posted:

... what happened to my lounge thread.

It's no longer a safe space. The hugbox era has come to an end.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

What size asp do you guys recommend for handling some peaceful protesters? Is 31" intimidating enough?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Hezzy posted:

This kind of poo poo is why I barely read SA anymore

We can all still chill on officer.coahahahahahaa

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drilldo squirt for honorary gooncop. Does that make us gops or coons? Police goon... poon?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Grem, you've almost talked some sense into GBS. Keep at it!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Reign Of Pain posted:

I'm pretty sure only one of them is stupid enough to try to defend a lost argument.

Eat a bag of dicks.

Edit - wait which of us were you referring to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I'm horrified that you all are making fun of and joking about a serious situation where a police officer abused his authority and used excessive force on a peaceful college student.

• Locked thread