Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Don't forget! April is sexual assault awareness month. There will be mandatory trainings to attend. Make sure you go to one, and don't get caught with your pants down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Thanks for reminding me Sir Lucius, I think I would have been unawares and possibly assaulting people with my fat stack of NKO certs had you not.

Edit: Poopkitty, he is a total grumpy Star Wars sperg, so I can see how that would fit. I just like to ask you guys in this thread about stuff since I consider all of you wealths of knowledge for the Real Navy rather than the mix of Marine Corps/Navy that is a naval hospital. I'm not cross rating/attempting to cross rate, whether I go to NJP or CM or even if it gets dropped. From Chiefs changing the way they talk to fit whatever they want to put on their evals/into a sailor's ears, back door politics, the misleading of younger sailors so people can say they "rewarded" them with something, and the scapegoating to make an example out of someone to a larger group, among other things, I'm not going to even attempt to stay in. Sure, some of those things are found in the civilian sector, but, ultimately there's no chance that they will have my life in their hands, just my job.

FTN now, FTN tomorrow, FTN forever.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 3, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Same poo poo happens in civilian world too, make no mistake. Only if they get caught they can sometimes get fired. Or you can just walk away.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Sup just postin' to say I'm still out :toot:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got like 6 months? poo poo.

I have almost 70 days of leave saved up. I wonder if they'll let me take 2 months of terminal. I doubt it though. Apparently a month is the max but I'm still routing that chit anyways.

Otherwise I want to see if I can swindle 96s

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

dialhforhero posted:

Sup just postin' to say I'm still out :toot:

:toot:

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Christoff posted:

I got like 6 months? poo poo.

I have almost 70 days of leave saved up. I wonder if they'll let me take 2 months of terminal. I doubt it though. Apparently a month is the max but I'm still routing that chit anyways.

Otherwise I want to see if I can swindle 96s

Unless your command has a policy to differ, I'm not sure the max is 30. We had a dude do back to back IAs and came home with 126 days of leave. The ship had him break it up into 2 periods.

I took 45 days of terminal (in 2010).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You can definitely take more than 30 days of terminal. Whether the command will approve it is another matter. I thought everything but base pay (i.e. BAH, sea/sub pay) stopped after thirty days but I remember there was some disagreement on that last time it got brought up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

IIRC the actual instruction max combining PTDY and terminal is somewhere in the 100 day range.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fart Cannon posted:

Unless your command has a policy to differ, I'm not sure the max is 30. We had a dude do back to back IAs and came home with 126 days of leave. The ship had him break it up into 2 periods.

I took 45 days of terminal (in 2010).

Snowdens Secret posted:

You can definitely take more than 30 days of terminal. Whether the command will approve it is another matter. I thought everything but base pay (i.e. BAH, sea/sub pay) stopped after thirty days but I remember there was some disagreement on that last time it got brought up.

Yeah I've definitely seen people take more than 30. Albeit not at my command.

The 30 days max thing is just the number people throw out when you ask but I don't think it's official or anything. I just haven't cared enough yet to go up and bother the chain of command. Not sure how many people actually have more than 30 days saved when it's time to EAS. I won't exactly be in a mission crucial billet at that point. We'll see.

But god drat I remember being in DEP asking questions in that mess of an ask/tell thread GIP was confined to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was wrong, there is no cap at all for just leave. I think the cap is when you combine permissive TAD as well. Here's the milpersman article.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1000General/Documents/1050-120.pdf

The relevant part to you:

quote:

a. The commanding officer granting separation leave has the authority to authorize the amount of leave the member will accrue to the date of separation, including an amount exceeding 60 days.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
3 weeks left in FDNF :toot:

Oh Japan, how I won't miss you.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was wrong, there is no cap at all for just leave. I think the cap is when you combine permissive TAD as well. Here's the milpersman article.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1000General/Documents/1050-120.pdf

The relevant part to you:

Had my CO authorize 78 days. 73 plus the 5 days I would earn.

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.

TrialbyStone posted:

3 weeks left in FDNF :toot:

Oh Japan, how I won't miss you.

I loved it over in Japan. The only poo poo part of my stay over there was the CO. That guy was such a raging loving rear end in a top hat.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!

Gatla posted:

I loved it over in Japan. The only poo poo part of my stay over there was the CO. That guy was such a raging loving rear end in a top hat.

I can measure up my experience as an enlisted by this choice quote from my former CO
"Back when I was a Lieutenant, I was unhappy. Then when I became a Commander, I was happy". Apparently you don't see the figurative sun as an Officer until you make Lieutenant Commander?

There you have it, an O-5 comparing his experience as an O-2 to an E-4, soon to be E-5. I agree sir, no matter how bad my life gets, It will never be Lieutenant bad.

Asides from that my last CO was awesome. Plenty of rest for the crew after things like Insurv and LOA, random days off for no reason other then "I'm the CO, that's why" and the fact that he legit seemed to give a drat about every department on the ship, down to Engineering.

I'm ready to see how the states compares to this. Other then if I do decide to get out, because spending 20 years in an engineering rate on a U.S Navy Warship is for the birds, then at least I know It's the service in general that I hate, and not just the command.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I enjoyed the time I spent in Japan, because unlike other dudes on my boat I actually left the Yokosuka area.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ded posted:

I enjoyed the time I spent in Japan, because unlike other dudes on my boat I actually left the Yokosuka area.

I left Yokosuka today. Well, I don't live there anyway. But I left. Y'all missed the Penis fest in Kawasaki.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

poopkitty posted:

I left Yokosuka today. Well, I don't live there anyway. But I left. Y'all missed the Penis fest in Kawasaki.

The clubs in Roppongi were pretty drat awesome. Chicks hitting on me when my girl went to the bathroom or when I went to get us drinks.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/national/18crash.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Wasn't someone in GiP on board for this?

edit: Someone just posted this on FB. I didn't notice the 2005 publication date until just now. I know this happened a long time ago. I thought the article itself was new. :downs:

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
So I just for outta A-School and indoc'd at NOSC San Diego, they couldn't get ahold of my CT unit I'm supposed to drill with, so just put me with a random temp unit until they fix the problem :lol: also very cool being the only non ranked person and only non previous active duty in the room. I had no idea what the gently caress anyone was saying 90% of the time. And apparently because of the error I missed out on a class I coulda taken for AT for this fiscal year. Gotta love being NAT and no one from bootcamp until now has not a goddamn clue what I do or where I'm supposed to be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

squarerandom posted:

So I just for outta A-School and indoc'd at NOSC San Diego, they couldn't get ahold of my CT unit I'm supposed to drill with, so just put me with a random temp unit until they fix the problem :lol: also very cool being the only non ranked person and only non previous active duty in the room. I had no idea what the gently caress anyone was saying 90% of the time. And apparently because of the error I missed out on a class I coulda taken for AT for this fiscal year. Gotta love being NAT and no one from bootcamp until now has not a goddamn clue what I do or where I'm supposed to be.

So, things are lovely for you now but, when you finally get to your NIOC unit it will get better. Things should have been better for you but, I really can't speak for the CT side of the IDC when it comes to NAT accessions. To be honest, in the IS world, our problem is usually NATs usually coming on our books while still in A/C School. Also, to be fair, you'd end up doing indoc at NOSC SD even if you were already assigned to your unit. Best of luck and remember to go clean something next month :chiefsay:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Hey dude, I live in San Diego and I'm about to go to bootcamp to be NAT IS.

Like literally, I'm leaving in 5 minutes. Later goons, I love all you crazy fuckers.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Like literally, I'm leaving in 5 minutes. Later goons, I love all you crazy fuckers.

Fair winds and following seas

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

:byodood:PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH MY BRIGHTWRKS SHITMATE

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Hope you have as much fun as I did dude <3

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

So, things are lovely for you now but, when you finally get to your NIOC unit it will get better. Things should have been better for you but, I really can't speak for the CT side of the IDC when it comes to NAT accessions. To be honest, in the IS world, our problem is usually NATs usually coming on our books while still in A/C School. Also, to be fair, you'd end up doing indoc at NOSC SD even if you were already assigned to your unit. Best of luck and remember to go clean something next month :chiefsay:

Thanks man! Yeah as soon as I was leaving the building a master chief pulled me aside to bring in all the chief lunches from his van.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I got another dogge. He is the chillest dog ever and sleeps on his back for belly rubs all the time.

Makes my spastic huge dog look like a dick.

Edit: Dogge:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

:byodood:PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH MY BRIGHTWRKS SHITMATE

SHIPMATE MY BRIGHTWORKS ARE NOT THIRSTY, THEY DO NOT REQUIRE HYDRATION

(I don't think they have any of that poo poo there any more)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I wonder what dumb poo poo they say now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

The fifth week of Navy Boot Camp *USED* to be "Service Week." This was the week that recruits helped to keep Great Lakes clean, most especially in the kitchen (except, in the Navy, it's known as a "Galley.") The Galley at Great Lakes takes a lot of cleaning up. In 1988 the Galley served 9.45 million meals, consisting of 146,000 pounds of ground beef, 447,000 loaves of bread, 261,000 gallons of milk, and 223,000 pounds of chicken.

However, in October of 2003, the Navy eliminated "Service Week." All of this "cleaning up" is now done by civilian contractors. The recommendation to eliminate Service Week was made by the Navy Training Board of Advisors, which is a group of Training School Commanders and Command Master Chiefs from the Fleet, who meet periodically to review Navy Training.

The elimination of Service Week has created more than 30 additional hours that can be used for recruit training and administrative tasks. The Navy is using this additional time during week #5 to add the following:

Increasing the number of live rounds fired with the M-9, 9mm handgun from five rounds to 40 rounds.
Firing five “frangible” training rounds on a Mossberg shotgun.
Extensive anti-terrorism/force-protection briefings on threat conditions, history of terrorism and steps sailors can take to present less of a potential target.
Computer classes and familiarization with the Navy Knowledge Online Web site.
Eight one-hour mentoring sessions, with RTC staffers and a RDC.

Also boot camp's like seven weeks long now WTF ~shakes cane~

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
i remember the rumor during service week or w/e was always that one of the druggie ppl who worked there actually abducted and raped a boot camp chick who he kept in his rape dungeon or w/e

boot rumors are the best rumors

tbf though that was prolly just an e-7 RDC who did that

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
With the starship buildings they don't even march so I have no idea when they learn all that critical cadence

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also boot camp's like seven weeks long now WTF ~shakes cane~

We pretty much folded shirts all day and stayed in our compartments reading books, but not the bluejackets because we didn't ~earn~ it. Was pretty dumb.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

With the starship buildings they don't even march so I have no idea when they learn all that critical cadence

i was in the last of service week ppl and one of the first in the new buildings man u still marched

the insanely low amount of PT was pretty weird though

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I drew a calendar in my recruit handbook so I could tick off the days like a prison sentence. Should have made it for 6 years instead of 6 weeks!

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Sir Lucius posted:

I drew a calendar in my recruit handbook so I could tick off the days like a prison sentence. Should have made it for 6 years instead of 6 weeks!

You kids these days and your fancy calendars! You're supposed to make a short timer's chain and cut links off of it as your days run out.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

When I was at A school there was a dumb rumor floating around that boot camp was going to be extended by four weeks for hand-to-hand combat training. So many people parroted that poo poo that they "heard from a guy who heard an RDC totally talking about it", like some kid's uncle who worked in Japan and played Super Mario 8.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

MancXVI posted:

When I was at A school there was a dumb rumor floating around that boot camp was going to be extended by four weeks for hand-to-hand combat training. So many people parroted that poo poo that they "heard from a guy who heard an RDC totally talking about it", like some kid's uncle who worked in Japan and played Super Mario 8.

Mario Cart 8 is badass. Played it on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm

squarerandom posted:

Which speciality CT? I'm a NAT CTR, and I've had similar problems since my first drill last December. I'm currently working on the ability to drill with another unit, but so far my reservist career has consisted entirely of sitting in a classroom on drill weekends and doing NKO or other trainings. So much fun, especially after training, which I genuinely enjoyed.

Being in for such a short time, I can't really give much advice, however: if you receive any sort of email about a IDCR command newcomer orientation, GO TO THAT. I just went to one at the end of last month in San Diego, and not only did I learn a lot about the reserves I hadn't been told yet, I was given contact information for a unit near my location so I could attempt to set up arrangements to drill with them. I am not certain of when they have these events, but I definitely recommend attending one as soon as possible.

• Locked thread