Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

MancXVI posted:

call everybody shipmate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Oh. It looks like the O4 selection board convened yesterday instead of in a week like I was told earlier. Oops. I hope I don't need that last FITREP and award submission that just got there yesterday.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're early selected and have orders for command. You're getting O-4. Quit loving worrying, skipper.

Yeah, I'm not super worried or anything but with the way the Navy is going you never know these days.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, you should gently caress with everyone and wear brown shoes just because.

vulturesrow posted:

I will cut him.

I bathe in aviator tears to keep my youthful appearance.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're the old man you should wear red shoes covered in sequins to gently caress with everyone just because.

Or high-heeled pirate boots that go up to your knees.

I do what I like. It's good to be the king.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Eew. You must not be able to bathe very often.

At first I killed aviators so I could bathe in their virgin blood, but that meant the baths were fewer. However, I found that their tears have the same virginal properties.

Now I just tell some P-3 guys that they won't be able to bring their wives with them on their next deployment and I've got enough tears to last a week or so.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've always heard the P-3 community is almost as toxic as the SWO community.

Based on the guys I've met I totally believe that.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also, per diem.

And Air Medals.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

They're rolling IDC officers into URL for some reason so the pretense goes up pretty high.

What? When did they announce this?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

It was put out as factual by the IDC regional commander, but on further googling I'm seeing that it's been "right around the corner" for like 5 years now so :shrug:

The idea that a strike group might someday be led by a METOC officer terrifies me.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is why it's dumb as hell. The reasoning is that we need to start thinking of information space as its own warfare area, that the URL types in charge of things don't give enough weight to non-kinetic options because they aren't "real" fighting. However that really only applies to the IW and maybe IP officers (I'm not really sure what those guys really do) but lol @ those guys filling command at sea billets. So after seeing that "it's really gonna happen" since at least 2011, I'll bet that the Tenth Fleet folks will continue to push it and the URL brass will continue to say no.

I agree with the sentiment that we need to start thinking of the information domain as an important warfare area, but yeah. There is no way in God's green Earth that I would ever trust an IDW officer with a command at sea job.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Already miss the ship and crazy that the next time I will on a destroyer will be as a department head. Just want to get through this nuke phase.

*Maniacal Laughter*

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

...what was the order?

It was probably an MPO for the senior chief to stay away from from the child/the child's family.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

In ManMythLegend's defense he just got there

:yarr:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, provided the maintenance was properly documented, and it looks like it was actually done, metal shavings or seawater intrusion in the sump won't get a CoC fired. Neither will sabotage.

That said, improper use of the dehumidifier or the electrostatic precipitator by watchstanders is a whole different ball of wax. Provided it isn't proven to be sabotage, the captain, CHENG, top snipe, and possibly the XO are screwed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

As an aside, hooooooooly shiiiiiiit is the Command Qualification Exam loving retarded. Rote memorization ok 10k+ pages of random poo poo is just awful. It doesn't help that it's 99.9% useless admin gotcha's such as the ever important, "How many pounds of ice per person is a ship require to produce a day?" I can most definitely see how that would affect the outcome of a battle. lol we are a joke of a service.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

poopkitty posted:

I look forward to hearing about this Mast case.

7th Fleet guys, sound familiar?

http://www.reddit.com/r/navy/comments/240r1a/follow_up_now_ive_done_it_confronted_the_dept/

lol

"A bloo bloo. I'm over worked. The department would fall apart without me. :qq: " - Every E-4 in the Fleet

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

lol, I love listening to people bitch out BFA standards. I mean, I totally think the system is inaccurate and terrible, but very few of the people who cry about it are the extremely jacked dudes that it really screws with.

I think my favorite was the morbidly obese LT I went to Dhalgren and Department Head School with. I had to sit next to her in Dhalgren and watched her cram cookies, soda, and twinkies into her mouth every day in class. One of the other girls in the class literally caught her licking the crumbs of a Little Debbie of some fashion off the desk. Unsurprisingly she tanked the weigh-in we did the first week in Newport and then immediately started crying that the CFL who taped her pulled the tape too tight on her neck so she would fail. A fine leader in our Navy.

Edit: Seriously though. Ditch the PRT, it is stupid. Replace it with an "Endurance Practical" that consists of donning an FFE and SCBA, climbing down to the bottom of the live fire trainer with a hose team, and fight a simulated mainspace fire until you tap out. Your score is based on how long you last. It doesn't matter if you are a career shore sailor or not, get the gently caress in that hole.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 28, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

As I said, I recognize the fact that most of the complainers are fat fucks with no excuse for their condition and that I'm in the minority of people that the standards get kind of screwy with. No arguments there.

I believe you man. I'm actually really sympathetic to this sort of thing because I had a lot of buddies at the Academy that were football players and power lifters and stuff that the standards just do not work for at all. Honestly, like 99% of the problems would be solved if they graduated the BCA based on your total PFA score. Add 5% for a Good, 10% for an Excellent, and 15% for an Outstanding. The fatties would still fail, and the actually athletic people would pass. It's win-win, but then that would require sailors to do math so of course that's right out.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

FYI, passing out due to heat stress is a bad thing.

I understand that, but it seems we have an over/under of 2 on CPO's dying every PFA cycle so it's not like we're comepletely safe from major health disasters with the current system. Also, we mandate that sailors do the live fire trainer now and the schoolhouses don't run red with blood. I'm not saying you have to make the passing criteria insane, but if you can't make it in the neigborhood of 10 minutes in that scenario (the average time a hose team fights before their relief is ordered into the space on CRUDES ship) then perhaps you are in the wrong line of work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LordNad posted:

On behalf of club med sailors in the P-3/8 Navy everywhere, I protest.

Unsurprising. However, if you can fight a mainspace fire then you should also be in good enough shape to fight the inevitable class A/C fire from when you leave the hot pocket in your microwave for too long.

• Locked thread