Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

DustyNuts posted:

Just got word that I'll be in Virginia Beach for 4 more years (maybe 6!). I guess I'll start calling this place home. Hard for a San Diegan to accept.

Little Creek or Oceana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

It's just a less common plant. Be like teaching everyone how to throw a fastball and then sending 3/4ths of the people to play soccer. Fundamentally it's all the same though right? Hot rock?

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Haaaaaaay guys! Let's come in at noon so we can wait until sunset to go LCAC'n...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think I was genetically engineered for the borscht belt circuit

LCAC'n into the sunset sounds pretty rad but I know Navy will suck all joy out of it. When doing stuff like that, if you have any chance, get some pictures so you can look at them years later and forget the unpleasant parts

True. My submarine bridge pics folder overflows, so I'm good there. What boat were you on?

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hartford 768 boat.

I lost most of my pics in a HD crash, which sucks. I had a few pretty good vids of dolphins jumping in front of the boat I wish I'd saved.

I was supposed to go to Hartford back in 08 off of limdu, but when dental signed my sheet, they didnt use the tooth stamp and so PSD would not avail me for orders til the next day. In that day, they gave my orders to someone else. That guy's first underway was the collision.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I got to take my dad on a tiger cruise, which is a little more rare on subs. The best thing about it was from there on out he didn't really tell me to quit bitching about my job anymore. He knew, even in five days of eating chicken wheels and ice cream, that it was that bad. I made him stand watch with me on our 18 hour schedule, too...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

DustyNuts posted:

How anyone could pick up smoking after 20 is a mystery to me, that poo poo seems abnormal. I started smoking at 16 and quit at 23.

I don't understand how a whole generation could grow up knowing how bad it is and even start. I mean, my grandmother smokes, doesn't wear a seatbelt, etc.... but that was normal back then...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I used to let the non-smoking sailors who worked for me take breaks just as often as the smokers did. Some chiefs didn't like it but it was one of those cases where I just played the noble card.

I would periodically go topside to collect my sanity. I would stand in the smoke pit and not smoke. Called it a "fresh air break", but Chief didn't like them at first until I told him I needed to leave work so I could buy a pack of cigarettes so I didn't have to actually do anything while I was there... He really didn't like that. Then he realized 3/4ths of the division spent about 3/4ths of non-raining work days smoking.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I did this. I'd also try to be the guy to do the cal shop / test gear run etc to get some fresh air, or just get lunch off-hull when I could. Screw being belowdecks all day in port. Mind I'd also be raring to start the day's work at like 0630 so by lunchtime I was generally done with the day's non-busy work anyway.

We had a couple officers who dipped, although at least one was prior enlisted. The submarine air was so full of oil and amine and other crap, and sub life so unhealthy in general, that the argument that smoking or tobacco use was bad for you sorta fell on deaf ears.

In Groton, at least twice a week, a few of us in Nav Div and eventually the whole division would go to the bowling alley, get lunch, and go into the pub and watch The Price is Right on the big screens... Eventually, at 1100, none of the screens would be on sports, we got them all changed over to PiR and after a while they were always on PiR even when we weren't there. It became the thing. While we were there, we would play Super Chexx, table tennis, shuffleboard, etc. It is actually my fondest memory of being on subs...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Where I am at now frustrates me to no end, but at the end of the day I can take my cell phone to work, I see the sun, and I am eight section...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Submarine non-nuke

So, on two boats I noticed that nukes drink a ton of milk. Coincidence or is there some crazy overabundance of milk in charleston

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

When I left the boat, a nuke held the record for 87 chicken nuggets in one sitting...

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Well, I failed my BCA... first one, but at least I started getting paid for PO1 last week... There goes any shot at LDO or CPO first few times up.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I think you get a 3.0 for whatever specific eval portion you get which lowers your overall average... but I can kiss that EP goodbye.

Might be time to go back to subs where we don't do PRT's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

Bullshit. We did them all the time.

I did three in six years on a boat...

• Locked thread