Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

IIRC the actual instruction max combining PTDY and terminal is somewhere in the 100 day range.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was wrong, there is no cap at all for just leave. I think the cap is when you combine permissive TAD as well. Here's the milpersman article.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1000General/Documents/1050-120.pdf

The relevant part to you:

quote:

a. The commanding officer granting separation leave has the authority to authorize the amount of leave the member will accrue to the date of separation, including an amount exceeding 60 days.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Oh. It looks like the O4 selection board convened yesterday instead of in a week like I was told earlier. Oops. I hope I don't need that last FITREP and award submission that just got there yesterday.

You're early selected and have orders for command. You're getting O-4. Quit loving worrying, skipper.

Also, you should gently caress with everyone and wear brown shoes just because.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

So I have been LPO now for a month in my shop, and I have an ET3 under me, he is basically fresh out of C school, and I dunno how I can help this kid. He forgets poo poo all the time, goes off and does his own thing for hours at a time, doesn't inform other people of when he is going to do said things, and whenever anyone tries to talk to this kid he just shuts the gently caress down. He's smart as hell, really knows his poo poo, but for the love of god he is a terrible fit for the military. He has some personal issues in his past and is seeing mental health about them (I have treated him with kid gloves in the past because of that, I don't want the kid to off himself). But I am at my goddamn breaking point, I've finally decided to start taking poo poo down on paper, counseling chits, etc. to build a paper trail to show I haven't been doing gently caress all at trying to deal with the constant issues he causes, but what the hell do I do? Every time I tell him he hosed up, he goes into a funk and shuts down and starts heaping poo poo on himself and it's just loving infuriating. He makes my DIVO look bad, my chief look bad, me look bad, he basically makes the whole shop look like poo poo. It is embarrassing as poo poo to have your CO tell you to get a handle on some junior sailor because he lost his poo poo and walked off in the middle of talking to a senior chief.

Sorry for the E/N mash of poo poo in this post, but I am just at a loss of what to do. My chief has tried to help him too, and we've talked about him at length, and neither of us know how to handle this kid, beyond referring him to mental health and making sure he goes to appointments.

Have you sat down and talked with your LCPO and DLCPO? I'd say those are good starting places if they're worth a gently caress at all. I had a nuke-washout EM similar to your guy. What really got him going was INSURV. I just spent a lot of time talking with him until I found out something he was really good at. I made an excel sheet to track every fuse in the ship and whether it was the correct size, rotated out so that it could be seen quickly, whether the fuse box was missing any screws, etc. I put him in charge of data entry and tracking down these discrepancies. He loving loved it because it was a shitton of work, but he got to sit in front of the computer and not have to deal with other people most of the day. This also freed up the rest of electricians to handle the rest of the ship instead of worrying about the fuse mammoth.

Afterwards he seemed to work a lot better within the division. It was just a task of finding stuff that worked best for him. He handled monotonous and repetitive tasks alone really well, so we kept putting him on those type jobs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Can he 2M worth a gently caress? Most of the ETs I knew that didn't want to deal with people and just hide in a hole were best at 2Ming.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've always heard the P-3 community is almost as toxic as the SWO community.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can't find anything that says they're anything other than restricted line officers as normal.

EDIT: they did change the designators of everyone in the ID corps, but they are still restricted line.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 11, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

The idea that a strike group might someday be led by a METOC officer terrifies me.

:stonk:

Glad I'll never be a part of that navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You also get a pretty sweet TAD out of it to go to school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of the only ways you'll see someone lose anchors that doesn't involve prison time are people that are frocked but not yet advanced to chief.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pandasmores posted:

I've seen this happen, it was something about how they aren't getting paid and aren't "officially" that rank yet.

I've also seen where the rate suspension happens, but doesn't that basically mean "you gently caress up again, I'll take it away" and it's only there for the amount of time allotted to them?

You're basically right on the suspended bust. It does open the door for your skipper to take 2 stripes at once, though. If you're currently on a suspended bust, they can institute that and bust you again at your new mast. Also, if you're only frocked to the next pay grade, it isn't actually a bust to take away the new rank since you're not actually advanced. A frocked Sailor on a suspended bust can drop three ranks in an instant.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

These major hits also will usually put someone above HYT so they can be a way to separate without needing an adsep board.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Who the heck is Cole and why did the forum explode because of him?

Army guy that just got out. Toxxed himself that he wouldn't post in the army thread for a month. Whip is just loving with him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of the guys in my division back in the day used to beat it in the boatswain office and later up in the forward hold after he was banned from the office. Would just nut under the desk, not even attempt to wipe up or clean up, and go back to his business. SPACE HOMOS knows the guy I'm talking about. Nasty fucker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah multiple people are going to get fired over an MRG blowing up if the investigation shows the slightest bit of negligence on the crew's part. CHENG, CO, possibly XO, and the MPA are all certainly sweating loving bullets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

The angle I always look at this stuff is, there are probably multiple hulls that are going to see added underway time / extended deployments because of something as trivial as one dipshit blazing logs.

Oh yeah it definitely sucks for everyone else in 7th fleet because they have to pick up the slack. Just like Port Royal running aground or the Hawaiian shipyard just sucking rear end and causing Chosin's 6 month availability to turn into a year and a quarter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They must have narrowed it down to a few or single people specifically responsible because a skipper better have a drat good reason his MRG broke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That goes into the realm of mechanical failure caused by something outside of ship's crew. The saving grace for a captain's career may be whether the people that hosed his poo poo up worked for him or not. If it's the fault of ship's company, however, he's less able to deflect it to someone else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

Hey, what's better than an air force officer? And air force officer that brings you tappist ale because they appreciate the work you do. Holy poo poo I joined the wrong branch.

Go read the air force thread and think about what you're saying.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

krispykremessuck posted:

yeah because vas didn't step down under mysterious circumstances and some tviv mod didn't get outed as a convicted pedo and also sa wasn't hosting actual cp and didn't refuse to take it down when confronted

Vas didn't step down under any mysterious circumstances. He just got tired of internet janitoring after doing it forever. Aatrek was immediately permabanned the moment he was found out. There was never any attempt to hide or protect him. Everyone was pretty shocked when they found out and the hammer came down quick. I can't explain ADTRW outside of just needing a containment space for that poo poo.

ManMythLegend posted:

lol

"A bloo bloo. I'm over worked. The department would fall apart without me. :qq: " - Every E-4 in the Fleet

Don't you see, man, I'm doing everything! No one is helping me at all. My evals suck because other people didn't get qualified!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

krispykremessuck posted:

I know you were like a swo or something but it was a joke, tardo

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it. I'm a little hungover this morning and need a nap.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There's also cost concerns at play. Your gaining command probably needs the NEC and got it put into your orders to save them the TADTAR. Schools in the middle of a PCS are pretty routine because it's significantly cheaper to do it en route than it is to get you to the gaining command and then send you off to school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Are they still required to give you a special SP eval? I seem to recall something like that for all PRT failures.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or just not be a fatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Get you a zippy cup.

Alternatively, learn to drink coffee without spilling it on yourself. And if you do, always have a bleach pen ready. That'll take out basically anything.

• Locked thread