Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Politics counts as a hobby if you stay on the local level. It's a bit like football, for every game there will be lots of rather boring preparation to slog through. It's absolutely a team sport. You can't accomplish anything alone, no matter how right you are.

My experience from the building council in a city of about 260 000 inhabitants has also taught me that often your ability to change things are stymied by institutional barriers and lack of jurisdiction. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try, but you should have a high tolerance against frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Captain Mog posted:

Here's a guy in charge of our city which has a myriad of problems and he conducts himself like an absolute shithead in public. I can only wonder how many other people on the council act like that.
Probably several. Being self-centered and assertive are almost prerequisites to becoming a politician. Hence the field tends to attract many opinionated assholes.

On the other hand it also attracts a lot of great people with a strong sense of civic duty, but you rarely hear about the them, unless you follow politics really closely, because they don't produce scandalous headlines.

• Locked thread