Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
One thing that can't be understated enough is how important political parties are to the entire system, from the ground up. For the last 200 years, the US has basically been steadily streamlining politics to function almost completely through the two parties, and whoo boy it shows. The number one thing (from my admittedly limited experience) that seems to burn young politicians out is toeing that party line. Once you get outside of the very basic city and county-level positions, unless you're independently wealthy enough to conduct your own campaign against two candidates with several systemic advantages, you're going to get squished. And if you do accept the Republican or the Democratic apple, they are going to want some concessions, or they'll drop you like a hot potato.

This being said, you do have some wiggle room depending on the situation. For instance, if you successfully run as a Democrat in a deep, deep red state, they'll let you do whatever the gently caress you want. There's a Democratic senate candidate in Houston right now who's campaign slogan is "Impeach Obama!" The greater risk you're willing to take, the more leeway you'll be allowed if you win, but generally a bigger risk is going to require a bigger investment from you in order to be successful.

At the local level, there's generally two kinds of positions: County, and City. City positions are things like City Council Member, School Board, Planning and Zoning Committee, etc. Some are elected, some are appointed by the council, and most are low-key affairs. I think that only in the bigger cities will you see city positions becoming extremely politicized, and to the best of my knowledge most don't even have primaries.

County positions, on the other hand, are different. Since the county level is the most basic building block of politics, (County conventions send delegates to state conventions, which send delegates to the national convention.) it's also generally where the party starts creeping in. Almost all county positions will hold a primary election, to determine the parties' candidates for the general election in November. Unless there's already an established Independent movement in your area, this usually means that the one or two people who already have an intrinsic advantage will get a few months head start on independents, who will have to sign up halfway through the year as write-in candidates. County positions include everything from County Judge, to Justices of the Peace, to County Commissioners.

Again, this is all based on my limited experience in the few places I've lived, so feel free to correct me on this, but it seems to be the pattern I've observed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, play up the angle of other town employees not getting raises. Giving yourself a COLA and not your employees is a dick move

Also, the reporter angle is such good advice, I can't suggest it enough. As a journalist, the thing that will have me salivating quicker than anything else is free content. Especially in small towns, reporters love it when their stories knock on the door and don't have to be tracked down. Be a little wary what you say, most good journos won't let themselves just be a microphone for your statements, but if you can give them a lead, plus phone numbers, dates of incidents, and guaranteed interviews with people who know what's up? That's a small-town reporter's wet dream.

• Locked thread