Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
yeah I need a crash course in non-zero inclination orbits.

Managed to circularize my first rock though!

Also if you forget to get an EVA sample the science you get from a flight returning from a grapple with an asteroid is.... zero.

don't forget your sample.
like i did.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Maxmaps posted:

Give us an update or two, will ya?

You say the nicest things :allears:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

mad.radhu posted:

don't forget your sample.
like i did.

:(:respek::(

At least we don't have to catch it again.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The main thing with non-zero inclinations is to launch when the plane of the target orbit is over the launch site (ideally the target craft/body will also be somewhat nearby, but that's not necessarily practical with an asteroid rendezvous). Keep in mind you'll need more delta-v the further from east your launch azimuth is, with the highest being retrograde.

Also: don't try and keep your velocity vector on the same compass heading throughout the launch; by the time you're 90 degrees east or west of the launch site, you'll be traveling dead east (or west), so there's a smooth transition to that from your initial compass direction. This is a case where it helps to regularly check the map to look at your relative inclination: if you're going more northerly than the target, turn 10-20 degrees south, and vice-versa.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Woo, new thread!

The new lifter engines and SRBs are pretty great. The particle effects are really nice looking as well!

Speaking of nice looking, this game is really pretty sometimes.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Awesome, just pulled off my first asteroid capture. Caught a little A-type passing by Kerbin using the method I posted about earlier. Atomic rockets are really handy for this kind of thing. It helped a little that the asteroid was making a prograde pass so I could at least use a little of Kerbin's rotational energy to get into orbit. It makes things a lot easier.

I think I'm going to try and circularize the orbit at 400 miles in altitude, just so I don't need a gigantic rocket to get to it in the future.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My newly restarted career mode as begun the way it always seems to. With Jeb stranded on the Mun. At least I can build things that can get to and return from satellites with only one or two tree unlocks now.

My vector artist days are way behind me now, but does anyone happen to have a low colour (Ie believable flag version) of a Kerbalized Kim Jong Un propaganda portrait? It'd make a kickass flag.

A note on the OP of this thread. The custom flag path instructions are unclear. I have no savegame data in my GameData directory. I dredged out a flag from my archived 0.22 and want to use it but an't find where.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

OH GOD HELP IM NOT GOOD AT ASTEROIDS

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 2, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

The Green Calx posted:

It's a big lithobrake, you're fine.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Whoo, just bought this in the sale!

Time to get my rockets on, I did consider doing the tutorials but I figured that tutorials were not the kerbal way so I'm going in to this totally blind.

I give you the Flying Machine V1

Lets smash this poo poo nose first into a mountain...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Green Calx posted:

Only needs one more thing.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/V2KqWVj.gif&v=Vo_0UXRY_rY&s=72
Perfect.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Green Calx posted:

Thwomp, please put this in the OP.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So I discovered that stronger joints does not mean invincible joints.

I'm very pleased.

(Holy smoke you still need lateral struts, those new SRBs are nuts)

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010
Hudfurt Kerman was going to do a nice simple fly-by of minmus for my new career mode. I had only made about 100 science so far so I didn't have much choice in parts, but what could go wrong? It was only a fly-by; didn't even have a lander module yet.

When I arrived at minmus I had almost the entire cruising stage tank full of fuel and Hudfurt got it into his big green head head to try and land anyway. My logic was that SAS can hold even a long, thin spaceship like mine upright on its thruster while he collected a surface sample then went home. Things were going well until I was about 20m above the ground, finishing my retrograde burn to kill horizontal velocity, slowly coming down at 5 m/s and beginning to rotate upright. Then it stopped turning. Hudfurt's ship had run out of electricity and neither he or I couldt do anything at all as it slowly fell down to the surface and landed sideways on the icy flatlands of minmus. There was no way to rotate or steer it - even the hatch was facing the ground so there was no hope of getting out of the rocket and pushing.

I was prepared to give up and leave him to his fate until I had an idea for a last ditch attempt to save him. I slowly slid the rocket along the floor of minmus at under 5m/s for a good 5 minutes until I found a slight incline, set thrusters to 100% and ramped off a 5 degree slope. Then, while flying parallel to the ground at an altitude of 1-2 metres, I cut off the thrusters, made Hudfurt get out of the rocket while it was flying at 200m/s, jetpack under it, push the nose up and get back inside, thrust upwards at 100% and fly home by pushing the nose towards kerbin as best as I could and burning.

He submitted this helpful diagram in his mission report.

Kablammo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 2, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Maxmaps posted:

Yeah, we're starting to balance things around where they're placed in the Tech Tree so some parts will be flat out better than others at doing the same job, because people will have to work for a while to get them. We understand that it's not ideal for the sandbox only players, but we've left our system open to modding so people can tweak KSP into a better game for themselves.
Yeah I'm totally ok with the parts (engines mostly) having variety in how good they are, and that some things might be plain better due to position in the tech tree which makes others useless for sandbox. And if you still plan to have cost be a thing in career mode than that's another factor for balancing, where low tech parts still have utility by being cheap.

The thing I feel negative about is that this setup does some odd inversions to the learning curve. Researching new rocket tech unlocks more capability without adding much complexity or challenge to the design & building of rockets. Of course the missions you are attempting increase in difficulty, but those skills are somewhat orthogonal to tech progression. And is some ways better rocket tech will suppress how much you really need to learn about those aspects of the game -- a big enough rocket can tell the laws of orbital mechanics to gently caress off and get away with it.

The Scott Manley asteroid capture stream might be the best tl;dr of what I'm getting at. He's mastered how to play the game of course, but in that example he is going seat of the pants and fucks up just about everything, but still succeeds at capturing a class E asteroid, a goal that should be difficult. I'm not a person that thinks every game needs to be Dark Souls, but it's also possible to be too easy.

These are pretty mild criticisms for a game that I'm hugely gung-ho about and have recommended to all my friends.

(The OP ion engine on the other hand is nuts no matter where it is in the tree. But I'll give that a pass because it's a gameplay issue from the limits of time acceleration. Has Harvester or another code guy thought about extending time acceleration with powered engines higher than 4x, maybe by locking ships into rigid-body physics?)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Decided to nuke my old save and make a new one with a limited amount of mods, only FAR, ProcFairings and RemoteTech. (plus some must-have quality of life mods like Editor Extensions, Engineer, RCS Balancer, Chatterer and Fusebox of course)

Jeb went to put the first satellite of the Kerbin comm network into orbit. Get into a nice geostationary position above KSC. Release the satellite and ... No Connection. Forgot to activate the antenna before decoupling. :arghfist::jeb:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Is there a comprehensive list of science locations for Kerbin?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

3 missions with Flying Machine V1!

1. Did not understand about staging at all, everything happened at once and the drag from the chute spazzed out the rocket and flipped it back on the launchpad, killing the pilot and putting the nation in mourning. Mission: SUCCESS

2. Set the staging up and BLAST OFF! SRB's fired fine giving me a lovely lift off, hit the space bar for the next stage and nothing (couldn't figure out how to work thrust) so I floated down and landed nicely some clicks from the space centre. Got out the cockpit and did some research, and could not for the life of me figure out how to get back in to send the data home (I had some antenna things on the crew module), decided not to walk back and left my kerbal out in the wilderness holding a clipboard and looking rather annoyed. Mission: FAIL

3. Figured out the thruster and got pretty high up for only my 3rd attempt, did some SCIENCE at the edge of space and transmitted it back home getting me 5 science! On landing I decided to land my ship sideways to see if that would let my guy get back in the module. No luck, he got out fine but couldn't get back in. Once again a brave kerbal is left holding science for no good reason. Mission: SUCCESS

Next up is trying to get to orbit with the parts I have unlocked.

How the hell do I get back in the crew module once EVA has been activated?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AceClown posted:

How the hell do I get back in the crew module once EVA has been activated?

Push F.
You need to be right next to the door to enter it, so if it's off the ground and you don't have any ladders down the craft, tough luck.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

nielsm posted:

Push F.
You need to be right next to the door to enter it, so if it's off the ground and you don't have any ladders down the craft, tough luck.

That's a bit sucky, I did roll one ship over so I could be next to the door. Does the module need to be upright?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
If you have science stranded in a landed capsule that has no pilots in it, you can swap to it in the mission tracker and recover vessel from the top of the screen to get the science anyways.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Are the asteroids made of cotton candy? The ones people are pushing around so easily look like they should mass anywhere from thousands to tens of thousands of tonnes.

:spergin:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
My space program hasn't reached tier 4 yet but I've already got 3 asteroids that have ended up captured in Kerbin's gravity well. This should be fun.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Are you guys deleting all old mods before updating and playing with asteroids?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey, is this new? The new liquid booster (integrated engine + tank) has a non-linear relationship between fuel spent and throttle. Even throttling it down below 10% or so, it still expends 1/3 or more of the fuel it burns at maximum thrust.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

Oh hey, is this new? The new liquid booster (integrated engine + tank) has a non-linear relationship between fuel spent and throttle. Even throttling it down below 10% or so, it still expends 1/3 or more of the fuel it burns at maximum thrust.
What, just sitting on the pad? It shouldn't do that.

Liquid engines have an option for minimum throttle range above zero, but no stock engines use it.

Vetitum posted:

This update doesn't seem to change anything major for compatibility with a lot of mods & plugins.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

nielsm posted:

I'm not noticing that, though I use Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler to make thrust vary with Isp instead of fuel flow. It consumes ~0.0567 units of fuel per second at 10% thrust and ~0.567 units per second at 100%.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

What, just sitting on the pad? It shouldn't do that.

Liquid engines have an option for minimum throttle range above zero, but no stock engines use it.

Turns out it is just me imagining things. Misjudging the throttle value from feel of the joystick throttle and not looking at the navball throttle bar.
(But there is a small range where that engine doesn't produce effects but does consume fuel.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vetitum posted:

I did (and nuked my saves) just to start from a clean slate. None of the mods I reinstalled had updated versions, but they all worked anyway.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I have absolutely no idea how to go about intercepting an asteroid, even after watching scott manley's video. I assume it's just normal rendezvous but with messier orbits, but that's easier said than done.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Green Calx posted:

orange juche posted:

Thwomp, please put this in the OP.

Done!

Falken posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of science locations for Kerbin?

I believe the Kerbal wiki has a comprehensive list of Biomes.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

The Green Calx posted:

The best part is your mouse frantically darting around

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
So I don't really keep up with Kerbal update news, if I patch will I need a new save to take advantage of asteroids, or can I use my current one? I always seem to do the Mun and Minmus before I burn out on KSP, so it would be nice to not start from square one this time.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Haven't had a chance to asteroid wrangle yet, but the new SLS parts are immensely satisfying in and of themselves. It was really straightforward to replicate the first planned flight (EM-1) with what I felt was a close equivalent of the Block I stack - manned though; KSP doesn't truck in unmanned capsules outside of rescue missions:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Was the bug fixed where if you launched stuff with the same name it would get duplicated on load?

Unless that was caused by mods :ohdear:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 2, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Built a little plane with an ion engine, top speed 60m/s. Would be good as a probe lander I think.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AceClown posted:

Whoo, just bought this in the sale!

Time to get my rockets on, I did consider doing the tutorials but I figured that tutorials were not the kerbal way so I'm going in to this totally blind.

I give you the Flying Machine V1

Lets smash this poo poo nose first into a mountain...

Using your antennas as aesthetic ears? You're well on your way.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I started a new career thinking I knew a lot more about the game so it would allow me to play better.

Oops.

Surprisingly nothing broke so I detached the previous stage and decided to try the tactical "ramp it off a hill" plan, entirely forgetting I had RCS thrusters.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Vetitum posted:

A number of API calls inside the KSP assemblies changed and I think someone said some FX calls were added. Basically a lot of old mods may still work but you're safest throwing it all in the bin and only use mods which have been recompiled against the new DLLs. Mods where the author just writes 'seems fine without update' should be treated with suspicion if you start having problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010

Zero One posted:

And if we can do that, maybe allow us to paint the ship's name on it too. Very useful for Space Shuttles.

With Helvetica, pretty please? Or Exo, it is actually quite futuristic and Squad already uses it.

• Locked thread